Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 9th March 2024, 16:39   #91
BHPian

Re: Requisition of private vehicles for upcoming elections

Some of us here are mixing vehicles requisitioned by parties and by Govt. Political parties need vehicles for their rallies and generally pay well (atleast in Haryana) but they do not have any legal right to take away any private vehicle.

If it is a police personnel or any other govt department requisitioning your car, it has a legal backing under Act and legally, you should be getting a payment for the same but it will be generally very low.

For election purposes, State and Central Governments work in tandem and ECI conducts election through State and District machinery only.

ECI assigns the election duties to GoI and State Govt officials and security is boosted by Central Police Forces (CRPF, and other Reserve Battalions) to supplement State Police, who reports to the respective Constituency where State Election Commission and District Election Officer and their teams from State Govt are conducting elections.
Old 9th March 2024, 20:50   #92
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbanerjee View Post
Hello folks. I tried to search the forum but seems this topic is not discussed. I live in West Bengal, and unfortunately here cops are targeting private number plate vehicles, as in normal vehicle types driven by most of us, for election duty.
Strange, that stopped long ago (about ten years plus), when Calcutta High Court (CHC) passed an order that only commercial vehicles (yellow number plates)can be requisitioned for election duty. Somebody's brand new Scorpio was returned after elections in a ruined condition, and he approached the courts, so this.

I remember I had to hide my Nissan Jonga every time elections came -- it was hot on the list, almost compared with the Sumo for carrying capacity.
But not any more -- I go forth with Jonga and Gypsy with impunity.

In case anybody tries to seize your SUV, you can mention that CHC order prohibits private cars from election duty conscription.
SnakemanJohny is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 9th March 2024, 22:06   #93
Senior - BHPian

Came across this Times Of India link about vehicle "requisitions" with respect to the last, (2019), general elections.
Link:
https://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/...w/68400299.cms
Old 9th March 2024, 22:42   #94

Everyone, please go through the following link - https://observerseci.eci.nic.in/Inst...ses%20etc..pdf

Hopefully, this will clear a few things up.

As someone has already correctly pointed out, the requisition of Private Vehicles is legally done under the aegis of the ECI and for specific purposes as listed out in Section 160(b) of the ROPA 1961. However, the requisition by Political Parties is straight up illegal.
raginglasers is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th March 2024, 00:37   #95
BHPian

This is crazy. I'm hearing of this rule for the first time. It feels like robbery!

I need to find a way to remotely disable my car in case our government wants to requisition my vehicle.

If someone stops my vehicle for election purpose I need to be able to remotely disable it so that it doesn't start!

I've been researching ways to do it ever since I read about this law. If we can connect a remotely controlled relay that's usually off or is hidden in the glove compartment, when we're stopped, we can switch it off under the pretense of taking personal belongings from the glove box.

I belive there are separate fuses for fuel pump, ignition coils etc that we can put a physical disable switch into the glove box. We can just wire that switch in series to the fuse and it's usually on. But when the goons want to take the vehicle, we switch it off.

Please think of better ideas! I'm sure if we put our minds together, we can come up with better ideas! I just can't digest the fact that our government can commandeer any personal vehicle like this!

The government can take possession of my vehicle but it sure as hell can't start it or drive it away. And sabotaging my vehicle is entirely within my rights because it's my vehicle and I paid for it and I'm sure as hell not going to let someone else drive it!

Na rahegi baans, na bajegi bansuri!

Last edited by vamsi.vadrevu : 10th March 2024 at 00:40. Reason: Adding info
vamsi.vadrevu is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th March 2024, 01:15   #96
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vamsi.vadrevu View Post

I belive there are separate fuses for fuel pump, ignition coils etc that we can put a physical disable switch into the glove box. We can just wire that switch in series to the fuse and it's usually on. But when the goons want to take the vehicle, we switch it off.

Na rahegi baans, na bajegi bansuri!
What you're talking about is a kill switch. You'll find many youtube videos on this. Most notably ChrisFix has made a video on how to safely install one which disables the fuel pump.

I have even heard about some very facy gadgets made around this too.
Siddj38 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th March 2024, 04:52   #97
BHPian

This is veering to the left and then to the right and then again left, right, left, right, left, right ... ad nauseum.

(The solution is to apply to the relevant officer mentioned in a previous post for 'exemption' )

Allow me to cut to the chase:

MODS: Please remove anything that does not adhere to T-BHP norms.

1) Requisitioning vehicles for election duties is legal and can be enforced;

2) Calcutta HC order mentioned above is still in force; so no private vehicle can be requisitioned for election duty without the permission of the vehicle owner;

3) The sequence is clear:

A) Election Commission tells State govt to 'requisition' vehicles for elections (First preference is yellow plates);

B) If not completing needs of election officials, then and only then can private (white plate) vehicles be 'requisitioned';

C) Any private (white plate) vehicle thus 'requisitioned' has the right to seek exemption from the district election officer (if I am wrong on the rank, please correct me);

D) Every private 'requisitioned' vehicle is eligible/entitled to 'compensation' as per Election Commission rules.

(I apologise to all offended by my earlier comment on 'bunk' the cops' command; I just want to state that inefficiency is almost always impossible to prove in a court of law)

4) Many have commented that unless one has 'influence', getting out of this conundrum is difficult; Please refer to an earlier post

Quote:
Originally Posted by raginglasers View Post
Everyone, please go through the following link - https://observerseci.eci.nic.in/Inst...ses%20etc..pdf

Hopefully, this will clear a few things up.
Bottomline: NO, your car CANNOT be 'requisitioned' WITHOUT your permission.

I) You need to 'inform' your car insurance company about the 'requisition' order to keep the insurance in place;

II) I am NOT certain about compensation for any damage to vehicle (in case of only third party insurance);

If still lost, I refer you to a f(r)iend two states away that can keep your vehicle safe for the duration of the 'dance of democracy' since cops only seem to look for white plate from their own state.

Drive safe.

Last edited by mygodbole : 10th March 2024 at 05:05.
mygodbole is offline   (15) Thanks
Old 10th March 2024, 05:52   #98
Senior - BHPian

If it was me, I would remove all 5 tyres, also remove the ECU and store it in my bank locker .
Jokes apart, didn’t know this rule was still enforced. This was applicable long before when cars were super rare.
rakesh_r is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 10th March 2024, 13:21   #99
BHPian

Hi All. This is a really useful thread.
I am planning a trip to North East from Bangalore in April-May this year and was planning to take my BRV (7 seater). Other choice is a sedan though would prefer to take BRV for its space and ground clearance.
Question for you all - Can the state requisition 7 seater vehicles with an outstation number plate (HR Regn.) ? I will be passing through West Bengal and spend a week in North Bengal. Thanks in advance

Last edited by FAIAAA : 10th March 2024 at 13:22. Reason: Additional text
Old 10th March 2024, 13:24   #100
BHPian

If there is a requirement by the nation of certain help from civilians like our personal vehicles or ourselves as able individuals, we must support the same. I know it is difficult for petrolheads to tolerate even a scratch on our personal vehicles.

In many countries it is mandatory to serve the country for a limited time in military. If the nation requires our help, we must stand up to it.

In India, we have territorial army ( The Territorial Army (TA) is a military reserve force composed of part-time volunteers who provide support services to the Indian Army).

[url]https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Territorial_Army_(India)

Last edited by Mystic : 10th March 2024 at 13:36.
Old 10th March 2024, 14:16   #101
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by FAIAAA View Post
Hi All. This is a really useful thread.
I am planning a trip to North East from Bangalore in April-May this year and was planning to take my BRV (7 seater). Other choice is a sedan though would prefer to take BRV for its space and ground clearance.
Question for you all - Can the state requisition 7 seater vehicles with an outstation number plate (HR Regn.) ? I will be passing through West Bengal and spend a week in North Bengal. Thanks in advance
BRV should be less risky, as I am sure half of the cops out in North Bengal won't know its a 7 seater. Also you can walk your way out stating out of state tourist and not possible for you to turn up. Saying that, attaching a picture of seized Bolero's requisition slip, seized near Mal Bazaar, North Bengal.
Attached Thumbnails
Requisition of private vehicles for upcoming elections-img_20240310_140655.jpg  

sbanerjee is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 10th March 2024, 15:16   #102
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by FAIAAA View Post
I am planning a trip to North East from Bangalore in April-May this year...I will be passing through West Bengal...
You may want to reconsider your travel dates and postpone the same to after the elections are over, preferably until after the results are out. Vehicle requisition would probably be the least of worries during this phase in this part of the country.

We were considering a travel to parts of the NE from CCU during this timeframe but are holding off on even putting a plan together until at least the dates are out. In fact even contemplating temporarily moving to our BLR base for the Apr - Jun timeframe.
Mr.Fawlty is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th March 2024, 15:35   #103
BHPian

I don't understand what the fuss is about. This has always been the case and the administration has always had the right to temporarily acquire both movable and immovable property for election purposes as per The Representation of the People Act, 1951 as has been pointed out by some of my more knowledgeable fellow Bhpians earlier.

My late husband was a government officer from the 1980s well into the new millennium in North East India and he had to do this numerous times. Once he had to temporarily take possession (requisition) of a confectionary shop to turn it into a strong room for the ballot boxes in a rural corner of Assam. Another time he had to take temporary possession of a portion of my own ancestral farmlands to set up the tents for a polling station. Sometimes he even had to requisition my own 1986 petrol Mark 4 Ambassador

Point of information : The administration always prefers diesel SUVs/MUVs and small petrol hatchbacks in that order (descending order). Other cars are much lower in their terms of desirability solely due to fuel efficiency since the administration allocates very limited sums of money for fuel. My late husband has had to spend money out-of-pocket quite a few times for fuel for such requisitioned vehicles but he was reimbursed for it only a few times

Speaking of elections, here are some of the scenes captured by the dashcam of my car during the election days in West Bengal around 4 years ago :-

Last edited by Chhanda Das : 10th March 2024 at 15:46.
Chhanda Das is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 10th March 2024, 16:12   #104

I'm yet to take delivery of my Safari and already a headache to start with. Oh boy! I am planning for a trip to BLR during the 2/3rd Week of April till May 2024. Now I'm in a dilemma about whether to take that planned trip.

Any suggestions?
Old 10th March 2024, 19:06   #105
BHPian

Why not voluntarily ask citizens who have a spare car. They can take it from those who are willing to give rather than straight up demanding from a random person. I’m sure there are some folks who are willing to give their stationary secondary vehicle and earn some bucks.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks