Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 8th March 2024, 03:55   #61
BHPian

Re: Requisition of private vehicles for upcoming elections

Maybe a webcam would help in case they are asking for vehicles without providing a letter written and signed by a competent authority or valid reason.

It also says vehicle, vessel or animal. We should keep some donkeys on standby and send those over.

I had heard of this once in Jharkhand but that was from a person who had more than one vehicle and was a little politically connected. I had thought the cops had asked for it because he was involved with them and they knew he wont refuse. He had indicated though that cops could seize any vehicle for their use during elections - this was atleast 9 years back (I think the 2014 elections). His was a scorpio but even then I had never thought the cops would be interested in my puny hyundai eon -my ride during those years.
Old 8th March 2024, 07:15   #62
BHPian

Here in TN, there is a practice of seeking vehicles like school buses and tourist vans and busses through RTO while going for FC, mostly for ruling party uses. Not sure if they'll compensate them or not. Now I can see school, college and tourist buses doing those duty, not sure of the arrangements.

Around 5-6 years back, when our Eicher goods vehicle went for FC, they asked my driver to bring the vehicle on a particular date and they took his details. And called to remind a few days later too. Eventually, we forgot about it and no one called later.

Cars will be mostly asked by local level government officials to factory owners to lend for few hours as a favour and to maintain good relationship.

But nothing of the sort mentioned on the original post for private cars. For election duty, they approach big travels owners, they'll rent out cars and also source from their competitors to meet demands.
TorquePull is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 8th March 2024, 07:50   #63
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aniketi View Post
The post says cops stopping people, right? Cops come under state government only as far as I know, right? Then who is responsible? From where you got election commission into picture?
Election commission and election duties supersede all most all other duties.
EC is very short staffed, and it doesn't make sense to allocate permanent resources to EC which are used only when elections are held. That's why whenever elections are held, they take part in mass requisition of resources, including human recourses. Almost all government employees of any department, state or central are rostered for Election duty. Such rosters are not prepared by the EC, but the departments themselves. EC just provides the list of requirements. These requirements are met at the local level.

District Collector is appointed as the District Election Officer and is responsible for Coordinating and supervising all work related to elections in a district.
In case of vehicle requisition, Collector ask all local government bodies for vehicles. Some refuse, making cases for why they can't part with their vehicles. Whatever remaining, RTO is assigned to acquire them. RTO ideally first goes to Taxi operators and if there's still a need for move vehicles, RTO ask local Police to help.
Ltinsane is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 8th March 2024, 08:06   #64
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ltinsane View Post
Election commission and election duties supersede all most all other duties.
All true but the election hasn't been notified yet. So I doubt if EC already has the powers to supersede as of today. I could be wrong though.

Last edited by DigitalOne : 8th March 2024 at 08:08.
DigitalOne is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 8th March 2024, 08:27   #65
PGA
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doonite View Post
Am I reading this right?

I request you to please go through the thread and read seasoned members comments, who have faced the same situations not so long ago.

It's not hearsay or alternate truth (to support any "agenda") when members on the forum are backing it up with similar experiences of their own.
I was expecting a response like this when I wrote the post.
At some point in my life I had the authority to requisition vehicles for a purpose, I remember the law and rules quite clearly.
We are talking of private vehicles used for personal purpose and being commandeered for election purpose by constabulary. We are not discussing public and commercial transports which function under different rules.

What has been narrated at the outset is an out and out an illegal activity and no law or rule in our country permits it. By this logic, anyone can even walk into your house and dispossess you of it quoting a silly purpose, or take your jewellery or other personal possessions.
C'mon guys, we are a democratic country with pretty ok record till now and reasonably working institutions to save an average citizen from arbitrary application of powers by any authority. Every SHO, ACP, SSP, CP, ADC, DC or any other public servant has to hear your grievance and respond as per set rules, one has to know his rights and legit means to enforce them. One can put even inane grievance to PM directly at CPGRAMS.

If one is not sure of his rights as a human being or being a citizen of a country, someone will take advantage of one's ignorance. May I request the BHPian who brought this issue to walk up with his neighbour to the dealing public authority and am sure it will be resolved in a minute and constable will be suitably reprimanded.

And very aptly put in by DigitalOne, elections have not even been notified, how could this constable requisition a vehicle.

Last edited by PGA : 8th March 2024 at 08:48. Reason: Corrections
PGA is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 8th March 2024, 09:58   #66
BHPian

Why don't politicians use their own cars, many of them own expensive SUVs, sedans etc.

I want to know; what if after election, the car is returned damaged, smelly etc. Do you go after them legally or just suck it up and spare your own money to repair it??
Anonymous guy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th March 2024, 10:30   #67
Senior - BHPian

As elections loom, this menace will become intolerable in certain parts of the country, particulary the Eastern India states of West Bengal, Bihar and Jharkhand. The larger the vehicle, the greater the probabilities of it being "seized".
Favourites are: Innova's, Scorpio's ,XUV's, Bolero's, Xylo's, Marazzo's, Tata "SOMU", Tata Safari, Tata HARRIER, (the politicos put a couple of stools in the load bay and turn the Harrier into an impromptu 7-seater), Ertiga's and all other 7 seaters. Hatchbacks are not favoured for lack of space.

Don't even think of asking in what state of disrepair or level of damage you will get the vehicle back!

States which have "wealthy" political parties "seize" a lesser number of vehicles. AP, TN for example will only requisition vehicles from fleet/taxi owners and buses from fleet owners. TN will also compensate the owners on a per day basis. (the payout may get delayed however).

In WB, BR or JH: it is a free market for "seizers". No logic works, no attempt at any form of conversation will be listened to. The Elections are supposed to be "by the people for the people" and yet it is the "people" who are harassed the most.

Humble advise: postpone your road trip in "seizable worthy" cars in this election season if you can. Else take a train or fly to your destination.

Time to take my Nano out. Now that's a car no one will touch, in WB at least!

Last edited by arjab : 8th March 2024 at 10:32.
arjab is offline   (32) Thanks
Old 8th March 2024, 10:38   #68
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by DigitalOne View Post
All true but the election hasn't been notified yet. So I doubt if EC already has the powers to supersede as of today. I could be wrong though.
You are right. No seizures till elections are notified. From what I have observed, seizures happen approximately 2 weeks prior to the election date in that region.
Sheel is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th March 2024, 11:38   #69
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DigitalOne View Post
I am guessing that they are being "Proactive" without the law backing them. At the end of the day, not many people stand up to law enforcers in our country.
Old 8th March 2024, 12:26   #70
BHPian

On a lighter note, I hope driving an electric car let's you escape such shenanigans.

Surely the authorities wouldn't enjoy going around looking for chargers to charge the car
shyampsunder is offline   (14) Thanks
Old 8th March 2024, 18:04   #71
BHPian

Shell shocked to know this is happening in 2024. On top of the crazy amount of direct and indrect taxes for which i get zilch in return, and on top of the road tax and the tolls , they can take my car when they want too. Bravo!
veyron_head is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 8th March 2024, 19:01   #72
GTE
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (10)

The political parties have nothing to do with this requisition, it is being done by the EC officials.
GTE is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 8th March 2024, 19:06   #73
BHPian

Heck, I didn't know this is even a thing! Zoomed in on the given photo of the order and notice the owner's address is in Dum Dum, and it was issued in Nimta PS. That's not some remote village, that's literally Kolkata. I guess nothing can prevent the authorities from searching RTO database, filtering through preferred body style, color, seating capacity etc., and sending these orders over, if they wished to? Or am I giving them ideas?!
Mr.Fawlty is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 8th March 2024, 19:57   #74
BHPian

Well, a rather bizarre incident happened with my mama who stays in Mumbai. He owned a second gen Scorpio top end variant in white colour which I believe was sold off sometime around 2015. So his vehicle was stolen from Bandra Kurla Complex just when elections were around the corner. When he filed a complaint cops were like, “don’t worry sir, car will be with you once the elections are over”. I mean, seriously . Never expected this kind of attitude at least from Mumbai police. He did get his car back after the elections and sold it off few months later post buying an XUV 500.
yatesh.92 is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 8th March 2024, 21:02   #75
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aniketi View Post
The post says cops stopping people, right? Cops come under state government only as far as I know, right? Then who is responsible? From where you got election commission into picture?
It is widely known that during the elections, the whole state administration comes under the purview of the Election Commission and it is them who run the show as already mentioned by fellow member @vasuki.

Although dates have not been announced yet, the requirements of the commission has surely reached the respective departments. The cops would be mad to act on their own and seize vehicles randomly without any official order. And I repeat, no one can force a private car owner to part with their car without consent. Sometimes, not knowing is not that bad if not for the perils of a social forum !!

Last edited by BlackPearl : 8th March 2024 at 23:49. Reason: Toned down the comment. Thanks.
ABHI_1512 is offline   (5) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks