Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 7th March 2024, 09:20   #31
BHPian

Re: Requisition of private vehicles for upcoming elections

I remember my dad talking about this system which was prevalent back when he bought his first car (Amby) and used to park it in his friend’s garage with some parts opened up. My mom’s ancestral home is in Nadia district and I remember men in uniform pulling over cars for election duty when we used to visit back in the late 2000s.

Had no idea this still goes on.

So, a citizen pays income tax on his earnings, GST and road tax during a car purchase to enable the government to acquire resources and is then also expected to hand over his/her pride and joy to be abused by politicos?

Last edited by Sheel : 7th March 2024 at 09:28. Reason: Rule #13. Please revisit the Forum Rules. Thanks.
revsperminute is offline   (23) Thanks
Old 7th March 2024, 09:36   #32
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ottocycle View Post
I have heard of this in my 90s in UP. But from last decade haven't heard of anything like this. And now I am scared of travelling this summer to other states. Do they target other state vehicles too?

And does the person whos vehicle is requisitioned get any money for the period the vehicle is doing the election duty?
So i had an innova registered as taxi in Kerala during the last state elections, which happened during covid. I got a call from the RTO dept. asking for the vehicle for govt duty with a driver, i was initially reluctant and told that the vehicle is having issues.
The rto/mvi (don’t remember who it was clearly) was very courteous, he explained that the vehicle will be used by the election observers (sr IPS/IAS ) only and would be very well taken care of, he also explained that I would be compensated(i was, without much delay) and advised me to take up the offer since it was covid and the taxi didn’t really have a lot of business. I got the vehicle back in good condition, although it had to be parked at the police headquarters for a month(they had fitted wireless equipment ). My Driver also told me that all the cops and rto people treated him in a nice manner.
So overall it was a very positive experience in Kerala. But, if they ask for my private vehicles, i am not sure i would have the same feeling.
vinaygeorgeroy is online now   (46) Thanks
Old 7th March 2024, 11:32   #33
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by how_you_doing View Post
Almost all educated Bengalis have left it. I think there are probably 5 lakh Bengalis living in Bengaluru alone. Kolkata should had been at par with Mumbai in terms of GDP contribution, West Bengal should had been at par with Maharashtra.
Off-topic but on point - Amitav Ghosh actually traces this quite well in Smoke and Ashes, his latest. The differences between the economic development (and for that matter, the socio-political evolution too) of MH vs WB in the context of the Opium trade and its impact, the progression of British rule and conduct of local traders. There's hardly any doubt that post-independence political fortunes have had a similar impact - again covered by various economists - but the foundational effect of the last 100-years of the British rule is something incredible to read.

For the OP, obviously not getting to use your car is a massive massive pain - but a much bigger pain is having your car handed back to you after being ridden (literally and metaphorically) into the ground. Find the best way to get your car out of the state for well beyond the elections. Use taxis or bikes for local work.

Gosh! The last I heard of this happening was when Laluprasad Yadav was at his peak power in Bihar.
Annibaddh is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 7th March 2024, 12:32   #34
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mygodbole View Post
MANDATORY DISCLAIMER: This is MY PERSONAL OPINION and I am not responsible for any consequences thereof. Please consider these as suggestions only.
Taking the liberty of adding a few more controversial solutions:

1. Put a red light beacon on top of the car. Most likely, nobody will stop it them, thinking it is already a VIP vehicle. :-) Alternatives - put political party stickers - they may let go as it is already 'requestioned'
2. Have some hidden switch that would make the vehicle sputter / shut down (like Mad Max). They'll probably just not want the hassle.

On a different note, just want to draw a distinction :
1. The government can theoretically requisition car legally, for use by the election machinery.

2. The political parties used to (forcibly) requisition for their duties like bringing people to rallies, etc.
This was quite prevalent for trucks more than cars, a couple decades ago. I seem to recollect, truckers would prefer not going to those states during elections - impacting delivery timelines for small manufacturers/dealers. They were 'politely' told to keep all the goods in a warehouse, get on election duty for x party.
My guess & I may be wrong, is given the prevalence of 'social media', now a days most parties would just pay full fare for these services as the potential backlash during election times could ruin the entire campaign for saving loose change (in context of total money spent during elections).
aashishnb is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th March 2024, 13:21   #35
BHPian

How does Elections become a state emergency. I can understand Natural Disaster but Elections and most probably the vehicles will be used to carry people around for rallies. Imagine our beloved car being used by the God knows what type of people. Once the vehicles are returned I dread to imagine the condition they will be in.

Hope people realize that it is we who allow some individuals to dictate our lives and then crib about it. . Hope we do our due diligence and vote for a progressive India.

Disclaimer: I am not referring to any Political party. I am always neutral Politically.
dsuman is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 7th March 2024, 13:22   #36
PGA
BHPian

Gentlemen, I feel lets not carried away with this news, it could very well be usual 'SM alternative truth'. There is only an archaic provision which enables state govt to requisition a vehicle when no other alternative is available. There are enough checks and balances in that provision. It is not a mere PS level activity. It can very well be a renegade action by a local PS, which can be brought to book by taking up with seniors, who no matter what the public perception may be, are normally balanced individuals.

A state govt, if it feels it needs a vehicle, it has enough provisions of hiring the same and enough money as well. And one can imagine the political repercussions of such a draconian application of law, so such an activity in today's time in our country I feel is not possible.
PGA is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th March 2024, 13:37   #37
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinaygeorgeroy View Post
So i had an innova registered as taxi in Kerala during the last state elections, which happened during covid. I got a call from the RTO dept.
My father, an Assistant Commissioner with Trade Tax Department, UP was assigned election duty in 2004 General elections with an IAS as election observer. They were provided with a similar Innova requestioned from a Cab Operator. He made sure that both cab, and driver were well treated.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ottocycle View Post
I have heard of this in my 90s in UP. But from last decade haven't heard of anything like this.
I haven't heard/seen Requisition of commercial vehicles for election well in the 2000s but never for a private vehicle.

When my brother moved to West Bengal few years back, he told me such tales of private vehicle being Requisitioned for election from his colleagues, but I thought they were tales from bygone era and certainly not something that happens in 2024.
Ltinsane is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 7th March 2024, 14:12   #38
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheel View Post
I stay pretty close to W.B. border and keep going that side. I was stopped once, the legislative assembly election was scheduled.

Some magistrate / SDO stopped my SUV and wanted to seize it for election duty.

I said to him, very humbly - Sir, I may appear like a driver, but I am not, I am driving my own white plate SUV with my own family. My SUV is black in color (usually, taxis are not in black), so please excuse me and I will not come to W.B. till elections are over.

Even this time, I am supposed to go to W.B. for a wedding, will take my car this time, instead of my SUV, will not take a chance.

Something funny, yet relevant happened few years back. I was stopped for checks (mostly cash) and on not finding anything, they noted my SUV details and asked me to drop 2 police personnel at the local P.S. I requested them to hop in. On reaching there, I was informed that my SUV is seized. I was lucky that I was in my native jurisdiction, so one phone call later, I was released.

In Bihar, they mostly seize Bolero / Scorpio, no other SUV's.
That is insane. Here in Kerala I have been taking it for granted that I can tell them to pound sand for anything that isn't producing documents.
Cresterk is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 7th March 2024, 14:18   #39
BHPian

I live in Bengaluru and own a 7 Seater MUV. Can the members please throw some light on the situation here? I would need to commute about 52 kms daily for my office and if such 'Officials' make such atrocious request to me, I dont know how I will manage my commute! Even during the recently concluded State elections, I am not aware of such requests being made to Private Vehicles.
DiMaGo is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th March 2024, 14:23   #40
BANNED

Very hard to believe that such things are still happening. State government needs to be blamed here. Looks like there is no law and order in place which is very scary. Time to change the state government with some better party who will improve situation for sure.

Last edited by Samurai : 7th March 2024 at 14:25. Reason: avoid naming politicians.
aniketi is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 7th March 2024, 14:36   #41
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiMaGo View Post
I live in Bengaluru and own a 7 Seater MUV. Can the members please throw some light on the situation here? I would need to commute about 52 kms daily for my office and if such 'Officials' make such atrocious request to me, I dont know how I will manage my commute! Even during the recently concluded State elections, I am not aware of such requests being made to Private Vehicles.
I have never heard of this happening in Bangalore and i have been here for quite some years. Plus, this seems to be a problem in states where the govt doesn’t have enough vehicles, and cab operators also dont have enough good vehicles. This is clearly not the state in a cash rich govt like Karnataka, where even small govt corporations and positions gets fancy new innova crystas from the looks of it😅
vinaygeorgeroy is online now   (7) Thanks
Old 7th March 2024, 14:44   #42
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by saket77 View Post
Would be an eye opener to learn if someone here got their vehicle taken away for elections and how and when it were returned. And in what condition.
My maternal uncle used to have two buses in addition to his respectable day job in a government institution. One was a minibus as they're called in Bengal and one was a full long distance bus. This is in a district capital about 100km away from Kolkata. Every election without fail they would be requisitioned and given back in a sorry condition - seats stained and torn, door latches broken, not to mention the harsh treatment to the powertrain itself. Oh and this was not just for election duties, it was also for the pre election rallies to "Maidan" in Kolkata. He was attached emotionally to the vehicles especially the mini and the pain wasn't worth it. He's sold both the buses.
digitalnirvana is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 7th March 2024, 14:48   #43

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbanerjee View Post
The purpose of this post is, I want to know how this works out in other states? Also what options we have on our side to refuse, and not hand over our new SUVs for the dance of democracy.
To be honest I am absolutely flabbergasted on reading that something like this is happening. Even more surprised to see replies of others that such cases were common in other states too in the years prior.

I live in Goa, and never have we witnessed anything like this happening at least since the early 90's. Over here, they requisition government vehicles first (all kinds of cars). They then requisition local taxis (again all kinds of cars). During the last few elections, they have requisitioned taxis from Maharashtra too (99% of these were Innovas and the rest were some other MUVs) as they were not able to get enough local taxis. Never have they taken any private car though.
AdvanceStarter is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 7th March 2024, 15:00   #44
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aniketi View Post
Very hard to believe that such things are still happening. State government needs to be blamed here. Looks like there is no law and order in place which is very scary. Time to change the state government with some better party who will improve situation for sure.
Unfortunately, elections are conducted by the Election Commission and not the state government. And this requisition thing also happens under the watch of the Election Commission only. So, I guess changing or abolishing the Election Commission will bring the desired results and improve the situation for sure. I find it amusing that you have found a law and order problem in the original post as well !!

Addendum- There is a difference between vehicles requisitioned by the Election Commission and vehicles hired by political parties for their rallies and programs. Members here have clearly missed that part completely. The post is about the requisition part only and that comes directly under the purview of the Election Commission. I have already suggested the way out in my previous post in this thread, and that is applicable pan India and not just for the state of West Bengal !!

Last edited by ABHI_1512 : 7th March 2024 at 15:16.
ABHI_1512 is offline   (17) Thanks
Old 7th March 2024, 15:45   #45
Distinguished - BHPian

A bit off topic post as its regarding requisitioning of government and UN agency vehicles but with interesting facts:-

The National Green Tribunal (NGT), principal bench, New Delhi, has asked the state authorities concerned to follow the Election Commission of India (ECI) directions not to requisition forest officials and forest vehicles for duty in the upcoming 2024 Lok Sabha elections.

Quote:

Disposing of a plea filed by lawyer Gaurav Kumar Bansal on February 27, 2024, justice Prakash Shrivastava, chairperson, and A Senthil Vel, expert member, asked the states and Union territories to implement the instruction issued on February 8 and June 7, 2023, by the ECI exempting territorial staff of the forest department and forest vehicles for requisitioning in election duty.
“Despite ECI orders, election officers issue orders and letters to forest department to deploy officials for election duty and also requisite forest vehicles of wildlife as well as territorial departments,” admit senior forest officials.
The forest department’s primary responsibility is to enforce forest and wildlife-related acts and run forestry activities under the various schemes throughout the year. Besides, summer is the forest fire season and if not attended to properly on account of shortage of manpower, it will destroy precious natural resources.
However, as there are ECI directions, the NGT said there is a need to follow orders of election officers strictly. Organizations whose vehicles will be exempted include WHO, UNICEF, all organizations of the UN, All India Radio, Doordarshan, wildlife sanctuaries, national parks and tiger reserves. The employees to be exempted include IFS senior officers, and territorial and wildlife staff.
The SC’s Central Empowered Committee also issued a circular, requesting the chief secretaries of all states and UTs concerned that “keeping in view the forest fire season-2024, the personnel posted at the field level of the forest department should be exempted from Lok Sabha election duty.”
The link:-
https://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/.../108280348.cms

If this becomes a norm, let us hope that at least the forest department of all states and UT's, plus we have a few departments under the Central government and also AIR, Doordarshan and UN agencies can heave a sigh of relief from these requisitions for both men and vehicles for election duties.

I too had asserted and exercised such a right while I was heading the Earthquake Geology Division of the Geological Survey of India, Central Region (Maharashtra, M.P. and Chattisgarh) as Director during 2006-2013. The staff from the collectorate would reach my office prior to elections with vehicle requisitions signed by a collectorate official but I never ever relented. These requisitions had blank spaces where the vehicle make, model and registration number with name of the respective office and officer in charge would be filled up for handing over a copy and the vehicle. With the vehicle the drivers were also to be given election duties. I had told them point blank that we are into emergency duties at a short notice and earthquakes are still unpredictable (Koyna (Mah) had and has perennial seismic activities) and so are swarm activities, tremors (all seismic) and even a asiesmic events that create panic and fear amongst the populace. At the Earthquake Geology Division, we would be sent letters from District Collectors to urgently look into the matter for taking up field studies (macro earthquake studies) with inputs from our geologists. In one case where our personnel were all deployed elsewhere, a District Collector made humble requests for urgent deployment of the team in his district as the panicked villagers had spent a sleepless night and a local MLA was pressuring him. He even offered his official Ambassador to pick up the geologists and for conducting studies. I could only send the team some two days later but in our own govt vehicle. There would be absurd requests at times ( like some blasting in a remote stone quarry where explosives of more than permissible quantum for personal gains by the concerned would be used creating panic amongst nearby villages), and without an official vehicle to reach and move around there in the affected locality, its not at all possible to do justice to such requests.

I told those collectorate officials about it and they asked for such reasons in writing. I got the letter typed and handed them over through my office. And we affixed "Emergency Duties" stickers on the front and back windscreens with our department's name written thereupon. They never bothered us. Similarly, upon discussing the matter with railway officials, I could gather that they too never handed over their vehicles due to the unforeseen events that could take place in their jurisdiction.

Last edited by anjan_c2007 : 7th March 2024 at 16:05.
anjan_c2007 is offline   (9) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks