Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 19th September 2015, 18:38   #271
BHPian

Re: Gun Ownership

Quote:
Originally Posted by motorpsycho View Post
You can start off with an Air rifle, they are available from 3.5K to Lakhs , Pericihole makes good Air rifle among Indian brands , specially their Nitro Piston, these cost about 10K.
Thank you for your inputs. For starters bought something in budget and with 30 feet range. Looks like this http://nationalairarms.com/ProductDetails.aspx?pi=33

Any suggestions to create a target practice area in the apartment (i don't have access to terrace and i stay alone so no chance of hurting anyone apart from walls)
Old 21st September 2015, 20:27   #272
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by KD007 View Post
Thank you for your inputs. For starters bought something in budget and with 30 feet range. Looks like this http://nationalairarms.com/ProductDetails.aspx?pi=33

Any suggestions to create a target practice area in the apartment (i don't have access to terrace and i stay alone so no chance of hurting anyone apart from walls)
National is a good Brand, I am unable to access this link right now. Did you buy the .177 or the .22? For Plinking .177 is good, for rodent control .22 is preferred. Also please beware, the range is much further then 30 Feet.

I would not recommend practicing in an apartment, one the noise with the weapon discharge will be an issue and risk of ricochet is very high in an enclosed area. I would highly recommend joining a gun club is Bangalore, they are pretty active. Reach out to fellow member Abhijeet. He also heads Indiansforguns a lot of members from Bangalore there.

Last edited by motorpsycho : 21st September 2015 at 20:32.
Old 21st September 2015, 22:32   #273
AWD
BHPian

What is the current status of National Arms Licence for Civilians ? Have to get permission from Secretary Home ?

Earlier they had restricted it to 3 States.
Old 21st September 2015, 23:39   #274
BHPian

Over the years, I have heard from multiple sources that certain communities such as those in Coorg in Karnataka and a few others elsewhere are allowed to keep guns as per some law from the time of the British Raj.

Is this true or is it a myth?
Old 22nd September 2015, 10:19   #275
BHPian

I want to import a good scope for my rifle; any idea what is the rule regarding that?
Old 22nd September 2015, 11:01   #276
AVR
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ntomer View Post
I want to import a good scope for my rifle; any idea what is the rule regarding that?
If you can get someone to carry it for you in checked in baggage, you should be fine. Have had some friends do that.
Old 22nd September 2015, 19:20   #277
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ntomer View Post
Do not order it online, it will be held by customs, it is a restricted item. Best bet is have someone carry it in their baggage for you. Also on ebay India I had seen a few on sale.
Old 23rd September 2015, 03:29   #278
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nowwhat? View Post
Over the years, I have heard from multiple sources that certain communities such as those in Coorg in Karnataka and a few others elsewhere are allowed to keep guns as per some law from the time of the British Raj.

Is this true or is it a myth?
You heard right and this is a old law for folks who had Jamma land holdings or something similar. I dont have much understanding on the rules but the govt has been vague too. Currently there is a fight going on between coorgs and the govt of kar over the land laws.

Maddy
Old 26th November 2015, 03:25   #279
BHPian

My latest addition to my collection: the Beretta ARX-100 in .223.

Took it to the range last week, loved it, going again this weekend.
Attached Thumbnails
Gun Ownership-20151025_122352.jpg  

Jeeper1941 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th November 2015, 10:52   #280
BHPian

Absolute droolworthy stuff. What handgun is that on the side. Are semiautomatic rifles allowed for civilains in Australia?How is the licensing scene there.
Old 27th November 2015, 18:27   #281
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeeper1941 View Post
My latest addition to my collection: the Beretta ARX-100 in .223.

Took it to the range last week, loved it, going again this weekend.
The PX4 Storm is quite a looker too, is it your conceal carry?
Old 5th March 2016, 09:43   #282
Senior - BHPian

Gun Ownership-imageuploadedbyteambhp1457150965.671024.jpg
Picture of our single barrel which was refurbished by a gun dealer in Coorg. Took almost 2 months to do it. I had a query after visiting his store. Most of the guns he had were ex Soviet make and a lot were old. Do we not get good guns in any stores in Karnataka? Looking for a hand gun or a revolver.

Maddy
maddy42 is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 5th March 2016, 10:21   #283
BHPian

Is it a 12 bore rifle ? Which dealer in Coorg ? I am going for a holiday ,might visit to see.
Old 5th March 2016, 10:32   #284
Senior - BHPian

Inder: yes it is a 12 bore, 1908 US made gun. The dealer is located in Ammathi by the name Chengappa. I forgot the name of the store but it is very easy to find if your in Ammathi town. It's close to the Kodava Samaj and you can ask anyone in town for his store directions.

He was recommended by the police to get our gun refurbished. He holds all the weapons seized by them too.

Maddy
maddy42 is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 5th March 2016, 12:14   #285
Senior - BHPian

During my visit to Jhansi/Kanpur/Lucknow many years ago, I saw many guns being carried around by guys on motorcycle pillions. Also saw many arms and ammo dealerships in Kanpur, disproportionate to the size of the city then. (I think I have seen only one or two in Chennai). Guns seemed to be some kind of cottage industry there, and I heard there were a lot of retired guys from ordnance factories who could easily make a gun for you on the side, if they had access to a lathe. Don't know if true or not.

In India for the common citizen, legal access to a firearm alone is difficult, and also expensive. Illegal access I heard is quite easy and much cheaper, it seems. Certainly hoodlums are not going to worry about legality, just possession!

But despite that most of our rowdies still use only sickles, knives,cycle chains and soda bottles! I will be glad so long as that status quo continues!

Last edited by Gansan : 5th March 2016 at 12:15.
Gansan is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks