Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 17th November 2023, 17:01   #706
BHPian

Re: The 2023 Cricket World Cup

Quote:
Originally Posted by AtheK View Post
...Will india be tempted to play Ashwin ahead of Siraj is the only question that needs answering.
Quote:
Originally Posted by harry10 View Post
...Plus Ashwin has a mental edge over Aussies. Interesting dilemma for coach and captain...
Quote:
Originally Posted by VWAllstar View Post
My playing XI for the WC 2023 Final
Ashwin
Not very sure about Siraj. He has been erratic with his line and length. However, Sharma feels Siraj is his lucky charm.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ghodlur View Post
I sincerely feel Ashwin should be playing this one as he has been on the bench all through out the world cup matches, he deserves to be in the playing 11...
Quote:
Originally Posted by AtheK View Post
...Ashwin also brings batting capabilities. Good headache to have, but seeing aussies struggle against spin yesterday, we should consider playing Ashwin.
Quote:
Originally Posted by PreludeSH View Post
...The first thing I thought was also for bringing in Ashwin. He would be as good as Siraj in bowling and better in batting...
I'm sorry guys but there is no way in hell that Siraj gets dropped. Apart from the anathema that is changing a winning 11, Ashwin did nothing spectacular in the match against Aussies. Meanwhile, Siraj was fantastic in the WC.
Plus the Ahmedabad pitch is a belter. India chased 324 successfully against WI. Pak chased 316 against Ind.

Even if you forget everything above, look at Siraj's work this WC:
Took key wickets:
Against Aus: Took Starc's wicket who was extending the tail and getting crucial runs.
Against Pak: Took 2 crucial wickets of opener Shafique (who was getting set) and Babar (who was looking beyond his 50)
Against Ban: Took 2 again
Against NZ: Took the wicket of dangerous opener Conway
Against SL: Took 3 including 2 in one over that collapsed SL
Against SA: Took the opener deKock, deflating the entire innings
Against NED: Took 2. Opener and the well set Engelbrecht at 45
Against NZ: SF: Took Santner's wicket

I mean, holy Vishnu. What else does a guy have to do to secure his place in the team? That too against someone who has been only warming the benches!

Quote:
Originally Posted by antz.bin View Post
...There is no need to make changes now. I feel he is going to stick to the current 11 barring an emergency. The team is working as a well oiled machine and I don't think there is any cause for concern..
Hear hear! A well-oiled machine!

Also, like Gavaskar said "If your top 7 can't help you with runs there is no way the 8th is going to bring in runs". If we still need Ashwin's capabilities as a batsman when having the top 7 in form, God help us.

Quote:
Originally Posted by antz.bin View Post
...The Final is probably going to be closer than the earlier games, but the end result won't change much from the last 10 games.
No man. I'm done with close matches. I just want an absolute India dominance in the final. Score 450 and bowl these arrogant kangaroos under 200!

Last edited by ValarMorghulis : 17th November 2023 at 17:05.
ValarMorghulis is offline   (23) Thanks
Old 17th November 2023, 17:26   #707
Distinguished - BHPian

Amul special doodle as Virat Kohli hits 50th ODI century!

The 2023 Cricket World Cup-20231117_172519.jpg
Venkatesh is offline   (13) Thanks
Old 17th November 2023, 17:54   #708
PPS
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverado View Post
We should all remember what the Aussie pacers did to us in the first match. Forcing pace against them only comes once we survive their new ball attack first. I am sure Rohit and Gill are smart enough to change their tactics with Aussie pacers, and leave the batting ego aside.
That doesnt mean a defensive mindset,
I do not think Rohit Sharma is going to change his game for the Finals! His impetus has helped the team get a brisk start. One has to keep in mind that this high risk approach will not always come off.
PPS is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th November 2023, 18:19   #709
BHPian

From everything I have seen and heard and done, it looks like Sunday is when the Indian economy will come to a grinding halt!!
Old 17th November 2023, 18:22   #710
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PPS View Post
I do not think Rohit Sharma is going to change his game for the Finals! His impetus has helped the team get a brisk start. One has to keep in mind that this high risk approach will not always come off.
It came off well for 9/10 times .
Also as we have seen in the match vs England, he was smart enough to change his approach according to the situation. He don't need to change his approach unless it is absolute necessity. His approach was the main difference in many matches.
Old 17th November 2023, 18:27   #711
BHPian

Unless someone is injured, there is going to be NO CHANGE in the team.

Trivia: Barring 1979, no host has ever lost finals in the world cup. Be it Australia or India or England.
RaghuVis is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th November 2023, 21:49   #712
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revvatron View Post
I think we can put 1992 final as well in category of closely contested one.
I saw the match live. Neil Fairbrother was waging a lone battle and running out of partners and eventually holed out.

It could have been a South Africa vs Pakistan final, their own slow over rates and farcical rain rule of those days ensured England went through.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaghuVis View Post
Barring 1979, no host has ever lost finals in the world cup. Be it Australia or India or England.
If they qualified for finals that is.

England lost the semis in 1975 in England
England lost the finals in 1979 in England
India lost the semis in 1987 hosted in India
Australia didn't make to the knockouts in 1992 Down under
Srilanka co-hosted in 1996 yes, but 2 match were walk overs (as Australia and WI didn't want to play in SL at that time) and only 2 matches were actually played in SL. Majority matches were hosted in India or Pakistan. Final was at Gadaffi in Lahore IIRC
England didn't make to knockouts in 1999
South Africa didn't make to knockouts in 2003
West Indies didn't make to knockouts in 2007
India won in 2011 hosted in India
Australia won in 2015 hosted Down Under
England won in 2019 hosted in England

So if you go by overall tournament hosting, the hosts/co-hosts have won 4(1996, 2011, 2015 and 2019), lost 1 (1979). If you go by final hosting, 1996 won't count. Remaining 6 instances, hosts/co-hosts did not make it to the final.
narayans80 is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 17th November 2023, 23:14   #713
BHPian

RichardKettleborough's umpiring history in INDIA matches -
2014 T20 WC (Final): LOST
2015 WC (S-final): LOST
2016 T20 WC (S-final): LOST
2017 CT (Final): LOST
2019 WC (S-final): LOST
2021 WTC (Final): LOST
2023 WTC (Final): LOST

The Doomsday Umpire is back to officiate the final.

Thought we got rid of him when I didn't see him for the semis. But it is an even greater heartbreak he might have in store for us.
rijo_tj is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 17th November 2023, 23:31   #714
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rijo_tj View Post
RichardKettleborough's umpiring history in INDIA matches -
2014 T20 WC (Final): LOST
2015 WC (S-final): LOST
2016 T20 WC (S-final): LOST
2017 CT (Final): LOST
2019 WC (S-final): LOST
2021 WTC (Final): LOST
2023 WTC (Final): LOST

The Doomsday Umpire is back to officiate the final.

Thought we got rid of him when I didn't see him for the semis. But it is an even greater heartbreak he might have in store for us.
From where do you get such information brother? Amazing!

Don't think too much and overload your heart. Dhoni has told na "Oreo bola kuch mat bol"
RaghuVis is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 18th November 2023, 05:35   #715
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by xantia View Post
From everything I have seen and heard and done, it looks like Sunday is when the Indian economy will come to a grinding halt!!
I have a feeling that its the exact opposite. Having won the cup twice , there isnt much euphoria or nostalgia - hyperbolic tourist rates in Ahmedabad notwithstanding. And quite frankly, India or Australia winning the cup does precious little to the game, except further fill up egos, coffers and some more positions for politicians and their kids.

Last edited by fhdowntheline : 18th November 2023 at 05:37.
fhdowntheline is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 18th November 2023, 13:04   #716
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by fhdowntheline View Post
I have a feeling that its the exact opposite. Having won the cup twice , there isnt much euphoria or nostalgia - hyperbolic tourist rates in Ahmedabad notwithstanding. And quite frankly, India or Australia winning the cup does precious little to the game, except further fill up egos, coffers and some more positions for politicians and their kids.
Maybe it may not do much for those of us who experienced the euphoria of a WC win earlier. But it can make a huge difference to a new gen who might experience it for the first time.

And coffers certainly need to be filled. It was only because of that facilities extended to rural areas and a new crop of players from smaller town popping up. It also gave the much required security for even a state level player that there are avenues where he can make some bucks which can sustain them for the remaining part of life, for a sportsperson sacrifices everything to be with a chance to rise to the top and generally don't have any other skillset to survive if they fail. We have seen even national level players leading a dire life post their sporting career. So, while there will be some cons that come with money driving sport, it far outweighs the advantages in my opinion.
vamsi.kona is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 18th November 2023, 14:32   #717
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Richard Kettleborough is one of the umpires for tomorrow’s final game - he has been one of the on-field umpires in every knockout game that India has played and lost since 2014!

Australia is also trying their usual mind games (statements by Marsh and Cummins for example) but I’m expecting they will up their game a few notches so we just need to play very good cricket and be up to the challenge.

Last edited by NPV : 18th November 2023 at 14:58.
Old 18th November 2023, 15:09   #718
Senior - BHPian

Many of you would have watched KGF. It is a normal movie backed by a rich and intelligent production house. But for the delirious marketing antics and widespread promotion, it would have, at best, been a commercial hit and not a legend that it is today.

The story of this world cup, when made into a movie, wishes for such a generously munificent production house; which hopefully it will get.

But for now, the script is bound, the cast is eager and the locale ready. When the camera rolls on at noon tomorrow, one hopes that a beautiful picture will get made - one that will linger in our memories for long.

With the kind of hype built around the finals and with the who's who of every sphere in attendance at the field, even Gods (hopefully not of cricket!) will conspire to hand the trophy over to the Hitman.

Home team not finishing first will not be in the best interests of a lot of people, let alone the game governing body. And there's this minor issue of the guests having to play another series in quick succession which they can very well ace and have the satisfaction of beating the world champions - at least a fraction of them!

Doubting Thomases will keep doing what they do best, but like million others, I know for a fact that the Indian team will win comfortably tomorrow.

Edit: With Virat firing all guns, I just hope that no one reminds him of the slogan Ee sala cup namde!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by hdus001 View Post
I wonder if statements like this just put undue pressure on the team due to the fear of letting down millions. Not to say seriously utter disappointment for fans in the case the team loses when they knew 'for a fact' that they'd win. (In olden days it wasn't rare for fans to even commit suicide when their team lost as they just couldn't come to terms with it)
Our expectations are just that- unacknowledged expectations. But when the leader of the nation is watching you live, butterflies will surely flutter in the players' hearts. Conversely, expectations can egg one on to eke the best from inside.

Not sure how old you are but when Sri Lanka defeated us in the semis in 1996, I was one of the many who went foodless for the next couple of mealtimes.

Marx equated religion to opium. For millions of Indians, cricket is their religion!

Last edited by dailydriver : 18th November 2023 at 15:30.
dailydriver is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th November 2023, 15:20   #719
BHPian

At the end of the day, it is just a game. And a match between two powerful and determined teams. Whoever performs better on the day will win. Whoever loses isn't really a loser, just that the other equally good team edged them ahead.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dailydriver View Post
but like million others, I know for a fact that the Indian team will win comfortably tomorrow.
I wonder if statements like this just put undue pressure on the team due to the fear of letting down millions. Not to say seriously utter disappointment for fans in the case the team loses when they knew 'for a fact' that they'd win. (In olden days it wasn't rare for fans to even commit suicide when their team lost as they just couldn't come to terms with it)
hdus001 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th November 2023, 15:23   #720
BHPian

The closing ceremony for the World Cup 2023 has been divided into four different shows. There will be a pre-match show that will include Suryakiran IAF Airshow, which starts right after the toss at 1.35 pm IST. It will conclude at 1.50 pm when the national anthems start for both the teams followed by first ball being bowled at 2 pm.

In the first innings break, there will be a performance from Coke Studio India's viral song Khalasi's music produce Aditya Gadhvi. The innings break will have a longer program with musician Pritam Chakraborty, singers Jonita Gandhi, Nakash Aziz, Amit Mishra, Akasa Singh and Tushar Joshi performing. In the 2nd innings break, there will be a laser and light show at the stadium.
Attached Thumbnails
The 2023 Cricket World Cup-f_minf6aaaa37u2.jpg  

Toni is offline   (3) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks