Re: The 2023 Cricket World Cup

Pakistan will never forget 23rd Oct

2022 - Virat Kohli
2023 - Afghanistan
Eddy is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 23rd October 2023, 22:53   #317
BHPian

Afghanistan has certainly breathed life into this world cup. Even though it wasn't a thriller but they have certainly spiced up the table.
Old 24th October 2023, 09:19   #318
Senior - BHPian

I hope wins like this bring Afghanistan the necessary on field and off field support they need.

For the kind of body language Pakistan was showing, any established team would've stamped their authority much earlier.

I am looking forward to Mickey Arthur's excuses for losing this match.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AltoLXI View Post
And with this, Pakistan's chances of making it to semifinal maybe over.
Aussies aren't done with messing up their chances
narayans80 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th October 2023, 10:23   #319
Senior - BHPian

Its so heartening to see Afghanistan do what they are doing. They are a very competitive set of gentlemen and am sure will soon become a force to reckon with unlike Bangladesh which remains a minnow even after two decades. Their composure & professional celebration further asserts the fact that they are full of confidence

Meanwhile pakistan’s fielding was just horrendous. The way they misfielded on the boundary looked so gully Cricket level. They deserved the thrashing in this match. This has opened the table, specially for No.4 slot.

Btw just noticed England are at the bottom. Not to hurt any sentiments but somehow it is so satisfying
SoumenD is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th October 2023, 10:24   #320
RMN
BHPian

Is this the first time that in a WC, the "minnows" have risen up to the challenge? Afg beating Eng could have been a fluke, but then coming back and beating Pak just proves that they have the talent. Netherlands has put up a good fight when they lost to SL. I just wish WI was also in the mix.
Old 24th October 2023, 12:03   #321
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by harry10 View Post
On a lighter note -

I Blame BCCI for not playing DIL DIL PAKISTAN again - Mickey Arthur.

I Blame lack of Protein- Imam.

I Blame Everything and Everyone but Myself- Babar.

I Blame Nanobots of BCCI who changed the pitch after first innings- Hafeez.
Touche. Though unlikely anyone in the current Pak cricket team can make meme material that involves nanobots.

Surprising no-one has picked up on the Indian fingerprints in how Afghans paced their chase, who were known to collapse in a pile otherwise. The name is Ajay Jadeja.

And Pakistan and its disasters with DRS. The only thing worse is their fielding. They always have been a delightfully clumsy bunch, just plain uncomfortable when a cricketing ball is around them.

Last edited by dust-n-bones : 24th October 2023 at 12:14.
Old 24th October 2023, 13:43   #322
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by narayans80 View Post

Aussies aren't done with messing up their chances
I think this win pretty much clears the way for Aussies. On paper the tough ones(RSA and IND) and tricky ones(SL and Pak) are done. On top of that they have started to gain momentum with couple of wins and they do bring out their A game in these conditions. Cricket heritage maybe
Revvatron is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th October 2023, 14:24   #323
BHPian

Afghanistan were very professional and quite comfortably won the match against Pakistan.

Two things stood out in bravehearts Afghan's win yesterday
a) Beautiful strategy of having a spin heavy attack
b) Professional chasing approach

Good luck to the Afghans for the rest of the tournament.

Here is a passionate Pakistan fan grumbling about the loss . Poor fella.

Old 24th October 2023, 15:32   #324
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dust-n-bones View Post
Touche. Though unlikely anyone in the current Pak cricket team can make meme material that involves nanobots.

Surprising no-one has picked up on the Indian fingerprints in how Afghans paced their chase, who were known to collapse in a pile otherwise. The name is Ajay Jadeja.
In the post match show of The Pavilion, experts specifically mentioned Ajay Jadeja in their dugout as a masterstroke. As per them Jadeja has an excellent tactical brain regarding cricket and the other notable person who goes unnoticed is Jonathan Trott. Works calmly and quietly like Gary Kirsten. No big words, no controversial statements.

Compare these guys with Mickey Arthur and you can understand why Pakistan is in this hole.
harry10 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 24th October 2023, 16:17   #325
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by harry10 View Post
In the post match show of The Pavilion, experts specifically mentioned Ajay Jadeja in their dugout as a masterstroke. As per them Jadeja has an excellent tactical brain regarding cricket and the other notable person who goes unnoticed is Jonathan Trott. Works calmly and quietly like Gary Kirsten. No big words, no controversial statements.

Compare these guys with Mickey Arthur and you can understand why Pakistan is in this hole.
Someone please take screenshot of the comparison between Trott and Arthur and send it to PCB

We been taught, you reap what you sow, that's coming true with PCB. Somehow Pakistan keeps getting such loud mouthed excuse giving coaches, chairmen and selectors.

Anyone for a team of Ajay Jadeja, Ashish Nehra and Gautam Gambhir, as mentor, coach and director?
VWAllstar is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 24th October 2023, 16:33   #326
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revvatron View Post
I think this win pretty much clears the way for Aussies. On paper the tough ones(RSA and IND) and tricky ones(SL and Pak) are done.
They have NZ and England who could trip them off.

The fourth spot could still be a merry-go-round of sorts.
Fx14 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th October 2023, 17:24   #327
BHPian

QDK having the tournament of his life after announcing that he will retire from ODI's after the WC (taken the pressure off?).

150+ runs and counting in his 150th ODI today. His 3rd century in this WC. Way to go .
Old 24th October 2023, 17:52   #328
BHPian

The way SA are playing, I feel that it could be IND & SA occupying the top two spots. And then NZ, PAK, AUS and ENG fighting for the other two spots. Ofcourse there could a surprise at the end and one of the remaining 4 other teams might also fight for the 3rd and/or 4th spot.
Old 24th October 2023, 18:23   #329
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by VWAllstar View Post

Anyone for a team of Ajay Jadeja, Ashish Nehra and Gautam Gambhir, as mentor, coach and director?
Unfortunately I don't see Ajay Jadeja getting into Indian set up due to his past allegations of match fixing. Cleared or not his image was tarnished and I don't see bcci giving him a good position in Indian cricket. Probably that's why he is commentating and taking mentor and coaching stuff elsewhere.

Nehra and GG are good options. Both are straight shooters and don't shy away from controversial decisions.
harry10 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th October 2023, 19:11   #330
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fx14 View Post
They have NZ and England who could trip them off.

The fourth spot could still be a merry-go-round of sorts.
England side looks like they have checked out, they are at the end of their cycle. Coming into this tournament their only hope was batting opposition out with their paper thin bowling but unfortunately that too didn't click. NZ might struggle given their easy on paper games are done but we never know. AFG/PAK will be the ones spoiling others party.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks