Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 22nd October 2023, 19:26   #271
Senior - BHPian

Re: The 2023 Cricket World Cup

Quote:
Originally Posted by saisree View Post
What a play by Proteas. England was no match to the play exhibited. Butler is unhappy on the heat in the afternoon. Says, heat was one of the factors for their loss.
The first ever ODI of my life and I wanted to leave Wankhede in 30 minutes of entering it.

The heat was truly unbearable. The seats were very uncomfortable.

Only post 6PM did it become bearable. Heat was definitely a huge factor affecting everyone but again thats not something that should be given as a lame excuse by the defending champs.

The reason to sit back was the hammering by SA - Klassen and Jansen towards the end and the ENGs abysmal performance right from the word go.

I don’t think I’ll ever go for an ODI again. T20 maybe.

Best is to sit in the comfort of your home and watch the match. Just my opinion.
Desmosedici is offline   (13) Thanks
Old 22nd October 2023, 19:41   #272
BHPian

Wow never expected to see fog stopping a game especially in our country. How does fog work by the way, like does it clear by time or gets worse?
Revvatron is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 22nd October 2023, 20:33   #273
BHPian

Thought Iyer will play a major role today. The last few couple of innings from him in this WC has been in small target, less pressure situations.
Although I want the lower order to be tested, its little risky too ! Hope we will comfortably win again.
Old 22nd October 2023, 21:34   #274
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revvatron View Post
Wow never expected to see fog stopping a game especially in our country. How does fog work by the way, like does it clear by time or gets worse?
Kya janaab, aajkal aapke yahan kya chal raha hain?

Humare yahan to Fog chal raha hain janaab!!!

dailydriver is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 22nd October 2023, 21:48   #275
BHPian

SKY - Someone needs to sit down and talk to him about his role. Supposed to be the game changing power hitter and gets run out at the start of his innings when less than a run a ball is needed.

Why the desperation when the longer he's at the crease the run rate would take care of itself?
Old 22nd October 2023, 21:51   #276
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fx14 View Post
SKY - Someone needs to sit down and talk to him about his role. Supposed to be the game changing power hitter and gets run out at the start of his innings when less than a run a ball is needed.

Why the desperation when the longer he's at the crease the run rate would take care of itself?
That pretty much was Kohli's error. SKY sort of sacrificed his wicket, and rightly so.

Kohli called for the run and backed in the last second. If you go back a couple of balls, there was a similar run which SKY rejected and Kohli was suggesting that they could have run. Probably that was in SKY's mind as well.
Bhargav7 is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 22nd October 2023, 22:02   #277
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revvatron View Post
I had my club match in NCR last night. Around 9pm Fog or Smog ( tough to differentiate in NCR) started to build up but it cleared in few minutes too. There was lots of dew too. Never seen an international match disrupted by fog but it's understandable as Dharamshala is at a decent height and winter is approaching.

Kohli going for 100 and India for a win soon.
harry10 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd October 2023, 22:06   #278
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bhargav7 View Post
That pretty much was Kohli's error. SKY sort of sacrificed his wicket, and rightly so.

Kohli called for the run and backed in the last second. If you go back a couple of balls, there was a similar run which SKY rejected and Kohli was suggesting that they could have run. Probably that was in SKY's mind as well.

Exactly. SKY should have rejected again and told his senior partner not to bother running risky singles when he's around to tonk the ball out of sight.
Old 22nd October 2023, 22:11   #279
BHPian

This World Cup looks like personal milestone cup! Without taking anything away from the fantastic 95 runs of Kohli, his attitude towards the end was pretty strange. He could have easily taken a single and then Jadeja to play for another single. It would have still given a chance to Kohli to score a century with a boundary.

Finally we broke the record of losing to NZ in ICC tournaments since 2003.
VWAllstar is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 22nd October 2023, 22:12   #280
BHPian

At this point, it appears that Kohli is more keen on his personal milestones more than the team's best interest. I know that we are a stat obsessed nation, but a World Cup is more important than x number of centuries. You could literally see the frustration on Jadeja's face at least a couple of times.

No denying that Kohli won us this match though.
Old 22nd October 2023, 22:15   #281
Distinguished - BHPian

All said and done, was Kohli justified in throwing away his wicket in search of his 100? Century takes precedence over the match?
Old 22nd October 2023, 22:37   #282
BHPian

I might be of a different opinion here, but did you all notice how calm and steady Kohli was until the point it looked super safe for India? He never played carelessly, he literally rebuilt the innings. Post that, reaching the point of needing 5 from 15, I feel it was fine for him to look for a milestone and I'm sure the team would have extended its support as well. I guess it may also be this go-getter attitude of Kohli that brought him this far.
freakmuzik is online now   (17) Thanks
Old 22nd October 2023, 22:38   #283
Distinguished - BHPian

Massive props for selecting shami over kohli as MOTM, he was the reason NZ did not cross 300. Heartening to see a bowler getting the award.

Kohli should have taken that single, it felt so sad to see him being KL rahul. He is much bigger and a better player, though very happy that he took us to win.

Quote:
Originally Posted by freakmuzik View Post
I might be of a different opinion here, but did you all notice how calm and steady Kohli was until the point it looked super safe for India? He never played carelessly, he literally rebuilt the innings. Post that, reaching the point of needing 5 from 15, I feel it was fine for him to look for a milestone and I'm sure the team would have extended its support as well. I guess it may also be this go-getter attitude of Kohli that brought him this far.
Would you have been making the same statement if two more wickets fell in the same over?

This is World cup not a bilateral series. I have nothing but respect for Kohli, but this was something I never expected of him.

Last edited by AtheK : 22nd October 2023 at 22:47.
AtheK is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 22nd October 2023, 22:45   #284
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Kohli Kohli Kohli all the way - there is only one King in ODI cricket

After 5 games, our top run getters are Kohli, Rohit and KL Rahul.

Of course credit to our excellent bowling right through the tournament. Once the bowlers concede 300+ it can get very tough to chase on some grounds under lights and they did a great job again today to restrict New Zealand to under 300.

Interesting statistic (hope I got this right) - prior to today’s game, in every ODI game Kohli has played on 22 October, he has scored a century; missed it by 5 runs today!
Old 22nd October 2023, 22:58   #285
PPS
Senior - BHPian

Not sure how Hardik's ankle is progressing & whether he'll be fit enough to bowl 5 overs every game at later stages of the WC but after Shami's performance today hope Team Management rethinks the move to have Shardul at no.8! Toss up should be between Shami & Ashwin for no.8 once Hardik gets fit, till that time continue with this same combination depending on pitch conditions. NZ were 200 for 4 around 37 over mark & they were only restricted because of our bowling lineup. Kuldeep after being expensive initially picked up a few wickets & Shami offcourse was the star performer. It was a relief to see Jadeja score some runs after a long time.

Just hope the rub off the green goes our way in the Semis & Finals!

Last edited by PPS : 22nd October 2023 at 22:59.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks