Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 20th October 2023, 11:51   #211
BHPian

Re: The 2023 Cricket World Cup

Quote:
Originally Posted by deathwalkr View Post
Except for our neighbours of course
Not really, they too are in awe of Kohli.

sachinayak is online now   (4) Thanks
Old 20th October 2023, 11:54   #212
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sachinayak View Post
Not really, they too are in awe of Kohli.
I meant the Bangladesh team for losing the match
deathwalkr is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 20th October 2023, 11:59   #213
Team-BHP Support

According to Wisden, umpire made the right call

https://wisden.com/series-stories/cr...ld-cup-hundred
Old 20th October 2023, 12:12   #214
Distinguished - BHPian

Few more balls taken to reach a well deserved century when the match is already in the pocket and all hell breaks loose. Give the great man some respite !! We have anyways come a long way from the days of Kapil Dev and Sachin Tendulkar.

Kapil Dev, much as great that he was and I simply admire him still, was literally carried through by the Indian team for full three years, just so that he can break the world record for highest number of test wickets.

Sachin Tendulkar despite having the tennis elbow injury and woefully out of form for almost three years was carried by the Indian team so that he can get to 100 international centuries.

Both are greats in their own right, but they still needed the crutches to achieve personal milestones.. Calling Virat selfish is way too much in my view. Just my two cents.

Last edited by ABHI_1512 : 20th October 2023 at 12:37.
ABHI_1512 is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 20th October 2023, 12:12   #215
Senior - BHPian

We won, we are comfortably placed in the table and will go to semi finals for sure (unless luck runs out for our team completely).

Kohli’s century does not warrant much scrutiny. Afterall, a little contribution to one’s CV is always desirable for everyone. We all must have done something a bit for ourselves (rather than our office as a whole) to improve our professional CV, didnt we?

Sachin is not remembered for any particular selfish or selfless act. He is remembered for the wins he earned us, the records he created and his class batting ofcourse. Everything holds true for Kohli as well.
Old 20th October 2023, 12:31   #216
Senior - BHPian

Folks,

Let me first apologize to all on the forum for using the word Selfish in my post for Kohli's play yday in the game, I guess i went too far emotionally and I regrert it completely. After reading the posts I felt bad myself. For someone who wants India to win the world cup and cheers for every 4/6 hit and cusses for every India wicket fall, last few overs of the match was not to my liking let me be frank on it. There were a lot of combinations which went into the game yday as many pointed out in their posts.

Mods: If Ok, pls delete my post so that it doesnt make forum members to continue using it as a means of debate.

Lets continue the discussion on the good things to come in Team India's way.

Peace out.
ghodlur is online now   (4) Thanks
Old 20th October 2023, 12:47   #217
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddy View Post
Not very happy with the way we finished the game. The 100 was given way too much importance.

NRR could be well be the difference in becoming table toppers or playing the table toppers in the semis, assuming we qualify.
India were 229/3 after 38 Overs with Virat 73(77) and when India Won at 41.3, the Final Score was 261/3 with Virat 103(97). So, India Scored 32 Runs in 3.3 Overs which infact increased the overall Run-Rate and in that process, Virat also scored his Century which I feel will give him more confidence for the upcoming tough matches against NZ, SA & England.
Rahkehs is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 20th October 2023, 13:08   #218
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rahkehs View Post
So, India Scored 32 Runs in 3.3 Overs which infact increased the overall Run-Rate and in that process, Virat also scored his Century
Absolutely!!!

Some people are complaining that Virat's century slowed the run-rate and the final four may be decided on run-rates. In fact, as the above quote correctly points out, the act of denying a couple of singles and allowing Virat Kohli to hit a few big shots actually increased the run-rate at the end of the innings.

Even Mathew Hayden on live TV did not waste the opportunity to point out that
overall run-rate may be important at the ned of the league stage and Kohli's century drive may come back to hurt India, in case they are tied for a fourth spot. I am wondering if Hayden did not really notice the surge in run-rate or he was trying a psychological game Aussies are known for.
asitkde is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th October 2023, 13:33   #219
Senior - BHPian

Some people can never be happy.

Player plays shots in ODI and get out, hey what's the hurry you had 50 overs.

Player plays steadily and takes the team to win at better than Run a ball with plenty of overs to spare, hey you are a selfish guy and should have finish it earlier.

And I can bet anything all these people making these statements if in same players shoe will try anything to get that century. Team game doesn't means players don't play for themselves otherwise what's the point of counting all these 100's and fifers.

Guy averages more than 57 in ODI and arguably the best white ball player World has ever seen. He is a certified legend who is still playing. His fitness level is unprecedented and inspiring all the upcoming players. Fielded for 50 overs and still taking 2's like anything when he is on 94. Insane fitness.

Why do we have to Diss legends. People are dissing Kapil Dev here easily forgetting he took 5 injections in his thigh to play that 175 against Zimbabwe which made sure India went on to win 1983 world cup. Rohit played with a broken hand against Bangladesh doing his best to win the game. Kumble bowled with a broken jaw against West Indies. Tendulkar played with an extremely bad back all padded up in the infamous Chennai test and almost won the game for India against Pakistan. Yuvi was vomiting with blood and ill in 2011 world cup which turned out to be cancer later on.

On this level the passion and commitment to win and achieve is a lot more and I don't think any player is selfish to cause his team a loss.

Good of KL to clarify he was the one who denied singles. And still people are criticising Kohli.
harry10 is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 20th October 2023, 13:45   #220
BHPian

I feel it's unfair to criticize Kohli for trying to get to a 100 when the game was already in the bag. And let's not forget this was a World Cup century at stake. Kohli had only 2 before yesterday's knock.

Every player who has ever picked up a bat, dreams of raising their bat after hitting the winning runs and getting to a 100 in a World Cup game. Let's cut some slack to Virat who was fulfilling his dream of doing just that.

Another good thing was Kohli taking down left arm spinner Nasum Ahmed in getting to his 100. If you have noticed, Kohli has struggled a little to dominate spinners of late, and I'm hoping clattering a couple of sixes and a few boundaries off left arm spin will put him on track to dominate the opposition spinners in the coming games too.

Meanwhile we have three exciting games coming up:

1. Australia vs Pakistan: Aus have struggled with the bat on spin friendly Chennai and Lucknow. Now they get a chance to unleash today in batting friendly Bengaluru. Pakistan will also be looking to get back to winning ways after being steamrolled by India.

2. England vs South Africa: Both teams have been on the receiving end of an upset defeat that would have hurt and will be itching to make a statement. And now they face off in the bouncy yet batting friendly Wankhede stadium.

3. India vs New Zealand: The Kiwis are our boogeyman team in World Cups. We haven't managed to beat them yet in the tournament, and the seam friendly conditions at Dharamsala will make it hard this time around too. Even harder, if Pandya is unavailable.

I'm rooting for Australia to do a demolition job on the Pakistanis in today's game.
Shumi_21 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th October 2023, 14:43   #221
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddy View Post
According to Wisden, umpire made the right call
Leg side wides are easily called out. If it was not brushing the batter's leg on the way, then its a wide. I don't see a problem with Virat's stance either. It was just Richard Kettleborough's subjective decision here.

It may not have mattered in yesterday's match since there was 9 over headroom. But it will matter in a crunch match where every ball counts. And you can expect bowlers to bowl such balls in such situations and there won't be smiling faces like yesterday.
narayans80 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 20th October 2023, 15:29   #222
Senior - BHPian

This is the dressing room video after the win. Whoever initiated this best fielder medal has to be commended, brilliant job and Dilip presentation skill is next level. The atmosphere of dressing room gives so much positive vibes.

https://www.reddit.com/r/IndiaCricket/s/x0ItjdJ3E2
harry10 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 20th October 2023, 15:38   #223
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by harry10 View Post

Why do we have to Diss legends. People are dissing Kapil Dev here easily forgetting he took 5 injections in his thigh to play that 175 against Zimbabwe which made sure India went on to win 1983 world cup. Rohit played with a broken hand against Bangladesh doing his best to win the game. Kumble bowled with a broken jaw against West Indies. Tendulkar played with an extremely bad back all padded up in the infamous Chennai test and almost won the game for India against Pakistan. Yuvi was vomiting with blood and ill in 2011 world cup which turned out to be cancer later on.
You could have quoted me instead of mentioning “some people”. Firstly, one correction- Kapil Dev played with painkiller injections in the Melbourne Test 1981 and not the World Cup match against Zimbabwe. Secondly, I have neither undermined any player nor will I eulogise anyone for no apparent reason. Legends are also humans, I just mentioned some facts about Kapil Dev and Sachin Tendulkar. Those facts doesn’t take away their greatness in anyways. I actually don’t understand this constant urge to put the great players above any scrutiny and I have not found the reason yet !

Hope, I have made my point understandable and I hope it doesn’t again get lost in translation.

Just as Kapil played with injections is true, it is also true that from 1991 to 1994, he was literally carried by the Indian team and denying the young Jawagal Srinath a place in the team in the process. As far as Sachin is concerned, for all his accomplishments, how many players in the history of Indian cricket have got the backing of the board that he got ? Memories of matches when Sachin would reach 90 and then just crawl towards the century and wasting deliveries in the process are still fresh, at least in my mind.

We have come a long way from this now and that’s heartwarming. Peace out.

P.S- Off topic, mods are free to delete but clarification was needed since my statement was taken out of context.
ABHI_1512 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th October 2023, 15:44   #224
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by harry10 View Post
The atmosphere of dressing room gives so much positive vibes.
What a great video! This looks like a team that is humming along nicely, we might actually go all the way! Winning matches because of bowling, recovering from a shaky start, creating great chances with great fielding. Lower batting order needs some testing in a crunch situation and I'm a bit worried about the fifth bowler(s), but that seems to be it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ABHI_1512 View Post
I actually don’t understand this constant urge to put the great players above any scrutiny and I have not found the reason yet !
Well said! We worship our heroes a bit too much here, in every field. No one is above some factual criticism and I too don't see why we fans get so worked up when there is some!
Old 20th October 2023, 16:27   #225
BHPian

Australia is battering Pakistan. As it stands, they are at 245-0 in 33 overs - on course to go for 400. And poor captaincy from Babar? Not getting Shaheen into the attack, until over 34. Not sure how much he would have been effective, but was worth a try, being their main strike bowler.

Edit : Shaheen comes back - gives 2 sixers and takes 2 wickets. Definitely feel that he came back at least 10 overs too late.

Last edited by Bhargav7 : 20th October 2023 at 16:32.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks