Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 19th October 2023, 22:02   #196
Team-BHP Support

Re: The 2023 Cricket World Cup

Not very happy with the way we finished the game. The 100 was given way too much importance.

NRR could be well be the difference in becoming table toppers or playing the table toppers in the semis, assuming we qualify.

Last edited by Eddy : 19th October 2023 at 22:04.
Eddy is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 19th October 2023, 22:16   #197
Senior - BHPian

Another Clinical win.

Hardik injury would be sorted soon if its only a twisted ankle. He was able to walk means nothing major. Hopefully.

Love Rohit's approach. Kohli is Mr. consistent as usual. Gill and Iyer gifted their wickets stupidly, need to work on it and learn from Kohli to take it to finish.

Bumrah brilliance with ball, Jaddu and Kuldeep doing well. Siraj no breakthrough with new ball is a little concern now. Thakur instead of Shami or Ash is something I just can't digest.

Don't want to jinx but semis is a given now.

Last edited by harry10 : 19th October 2023 at 22:20.
Old 19th October 2023, 22:23   #198
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by harry10 View Post
Another Clinical win.

Hardik injury would be sorted soon if its only a twisted ankle. He was able to walk means nothing major. Hopefully.

Love Rohit's approach. Kohli is Mr. consistent as usual. Gill and Iyer gifted their wickets stupidly, need to work on it and learn from Kohli to take it to finish.

Bumrah brilliance with ball, Jaddu and Kuldeep doing well. Siraj no breakthrough with new ball is a little concern now. Thakur instead of Shami or Ash is something I just can't digest.

Don't want to jinx but semis is a given now.
You should have kept the error "Koach" Kohli + Coach! Indeed Iyer and Gill need to learn from Kohli on how to build an innings especially in ODIs. I shall say it again, this World Cup we will see some stats been broken by Kohli
Old 19th October 2023, 23:27   #199
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by VWAllstar View Post
You should have kept the error "Koach" Kohli + Coach! Indeed Iyer and Gill need to learn from Kohli on how to build an innings especially in ODIs. I shall say it again, this World Cup we will see some stats been broken by Kohli
I'm not too sure all these records being broken may carry much meaning anymore, when all competition has vanished out of a, ahem, World Cup.

The unevenness of the game has now been taken to a new level by first Rahul and then Kohli turning the matches into personal milestones.
What can be more humiliating to say Bangladesh that not only were they irrelevant to the chase from over #1, but they were toyed around in the end for satisfying personal records.

It is like the winner of a 100m race in Olympics turns around to make faces against the competition, and still wins by 5 secs.

ICC and BCCI should seriously address why barely 2-3 teams now play the game at the highest level. Else, this game that has laid the golden egg for them may start inducing a big yawn.

Or just dissolve this farce into private leagues. A CSK v/s MI match, even if a mindless run feast, is anyday better than this.

Last edited by dust-n-bones : 19th October 2023 at 23:31.
dust-n-bones is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 19th October 2023, 23:44   #200
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddy View Post
Not very happy with the way we finished the game. The 100 was given way too much importance.

NRR could be well be the difference in becoming table toppers or playing the table toppers in the semis, assuming we qualify.
Really surprised when the umpire didn’t call that obvious wide.
rx100 is online now   (4) Thanks
Old 20th October 2023, 00:29   #201
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by VWAllstar View Post
Lol.
I use Koach terminology for Kohli in Redditt discussions so it spilled over here. As many might not know who Koach is I changed it to Kohli

Quote:
Originally Posted by rx100 View Post
Really surprised when the umpire didn’t call that obvious wide.
If you watch it again Kohli shifted from his stance and ball pitched where his left leg was previously. So, it was umpires discretion to give it wide or not. I am glad it was Richard Kettleborough and not an Indian umpire otherwise some idiots would have called for his head.

Also, Kohli should be thankful it wasn't inconsiderate Hardik on opposite end and it was team man KL Rahul otherwise Kohli would have never gotten his 100.

Anyways, last 15 mins brought some fun to a boring one sided match. This world cup has shown why T20 is preferred by masses now. All games till now have been mostly one sided.
harry10 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th October 2023, 08:26   #202
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddy View Post

Totally agree with this. The last 3 overs were frustrating as everyone was involved in pleasing Mr Kohli achieve the century and not think about the team. This also exposed the selfish side of Kohli who didnt put the team's goal ahead of him. No doubt that Kohli is a superb batsman but didnt particularly like the game ended.

Rohit getting out on an unnecessary shot which was not required at all as things were going good. Gill was getting frustrated on the drought of runs and fell to a poor shot.

Team India should know the opponents in the coming days are going to be tough and should hold the innings build and then go Bang bang.
ghodlur is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 20th October 2023, 08:51   #203
BHPian

Damned if you do. Damned if you don't.

The amount of wins Kohli has brought for us and still people whine that he's selfish. He just can't win.

While it's great the top order is firing, one bad day in office and we're exposed to Jadeja and Thakur, with Pandya injured, I'm not so sure they'd be upto task, say if required to chase down 50-80 runs. And I hope the management avoid the idea of bringing in SKY, I'd prefer Kishan who's had game time and has been fielding well.
TROOPER is offline   (16) Thanks
Old 20th October 2023, 08:57   #204
Senior - BHPian

So looks like Indian top order is going bazball way this World Cup. Not that I am complaining. Its good considering we have Kohli & KL to steady the ship if required. Iyer needs to put a price on his wicket else its a matter of time he would be replaced by Ishan. Ishan also being a left hander adds variety to batting lineup.

Would have liked to see Kohli given a few more overs. His weird action looks interesting & was right on the money doing better than the actual bowler for those 3 balls

Our bowling looks so strong thanks to return of Bumrah & Kuldeep. Jadeja has been as precise as ever & Siraj although not as intimidating as Bumrah, plays a decent second fiddle role. I would like to see Shami replace him for a few matches atleast in group stages.

Hope Pandya’s injury is minor and he is back for the Dharmashala clash. Management should look at his backup actively as he is prone to injuries often.

Last edited by SoumenD : 20th October 2023 at 09:03.
Old 20th October 2023, 10:18   #205
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TROOPER View Post
Damned if you do. Damned if you don't.

The amount of wins Kohli has brought for us and still people whine that he's selfish. He just can't win.
Spot on!
------------------------------------

Fantastic win for India. And people who dismiss Bangladesh as a weak team, please revisit 2007 World Cup.

Did Kohli play for his hundred from over no.39 onwards?
Yes, he did.

Did that dent India's run rate?
You can make your own judgement. Scrolling through cricbuzz commentary today, this is what I found out:
  • Kohli faced all the 15 legal deliveries bowled and ended up scoring 22 runs of them. This equates to a run rate of 8.8 for the period. India's overall run rate for the match remains 6.3.
  • Kohli denied taking a single four times.
  • However, twice he managed to run tough twos, which is something a batsman generally wouldn't/couldn't have done.

Did Rahul help his cause?
Yes, he did.

Was that the right thing to do?
Yes and No.

Was Kohli selfish?
Well, the same question holds true for one of the most unselfish cricketers to have played the game, Anil Kumble. For the uninitiated, Im referring to 1999 Kotla Test against Pakistan. And Javagal Srinath did something similar to what Rahul did last evening.
Emvi is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 20th October 2023, 10:36   #206
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emvi View Post
Was Kohli selfish?
Well, the same question holds true for one of the most unselfish cricketers to have played the game, Anil Kumble. For the uninitiated, Im referring to 1999 Kotla Test against Pakistan. And Javagal Srinath did something similar to what Rahul did last evening.
Except, a 10-for in an innings in a Test match is much more rare than a century in ODIs.
And its not like Kohli needs one more century to show that he is class ODI player. If it was someone who regularly bats at No.7 or 8, somebody who would rarely get a chance to score a century in an ODI, I could possibly understand or even empathize.

To me personally, Cricket is a team game. Team comes first and always. Personal records are secondary/bonus.

Last edited by srvm : 20th October 2023 at 10:37.
srvm is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 20th October 2023, 10:48   #207
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghodlur View Post
Totally agree with this. The last 3 overs were frustrating as everyone was involved in pleasing Mr Kohli achieve the century and not think about the team. This also exposed the selfish side of Kohli who didnt put the team's goal ahead of him. No doubt that Kohli is a superb batsman but didnt particularly like the game ended.
I have no love lost for Kohli, but if you saw the match and post match conferences, you would have known that it was not Kohli but rather KL Rahul who steadfastly refused to take a single when Kohli was on strike. You could see that in the match as well.

Also I really do not see what the fuss is about.Kohli barely took less than 3 overs to get that last 26 runs he needed to get to that century. I see the score as 238/3 in 39 overs and the target of 257 was achieved in 41.3 overs. So what are the expectations here? The man literally played faster than a run a ball in the later stages. He was 70 off 74 balls at one stage and finished with 103 off 97 balls. So say what you may, this was definitely not an act of selfishness.
Ays7 is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 20th October 2023, 11:22   #208
Team-BHP Support

Just to clarify - I am reiterating that Virat is the most selfless cricketer that this country has ever produced. He got influenced by KL (as per KL's interview) to play out a few dot balls but it does not change his greatness in any way.

Kohli is India's best ever when it comes to work ethic IMO.
Eddy is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 20th October 2023, 11:24   #209
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by srvm View Post
Except, a 10-for in an innings in a Test match is much more rare than a century in ODIs.
And its not like Kohli needs one more century to show that he is class ODI player. If it was someone who regularly bats at No.7 or 8, somebody who would rarely get a chance to score a century in an ODI, I could possibly understand or even empathize.
To me personally, Cricket is a team game. Team comes first and always. Personal records are secondary/bonus.
I fully agree that a 10-wicket haul in a Test match innings is a rarity and a far more significant achievement in comparison. Just to put things in perspective, World Cup events don't happen every year, and it's not in every game that you get opportunities to score a century. In all likelihood, this might well be Kohli's last World Cup. However, as you have pointed out, cricket is clearly a team game, and it should remain that way.

Having said this, my whole point is that labeling Kohli as selfish is not entirely justified. When the team itself is supporting your achievements, I don't think a player needs to be called selfish. It doesn't matter if it's a 5-fer, a 10-fer, a ton, a double ton, or a triple ton. When someone is chasing personal milestones at the expense of the team's interest, as Manoj Prabhakar once infamously did, it rightly calls for a player to be called SELFISH, which wasn't the case last evening.

People will always have opinions. Even one of the greatest test innings of all time, Lara's 400, did not escape criticism and the selfish tag.

https://caughtatpoint.com/2022/05/02...20the%20inning

https://www.google.co.in/amp/s/www.e...3fplatform=amp

Last edited by Emvi : 20th October 2023 at 11:27.
Emvi is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 20th October 2023, 11:25   #210
Senior - BHPian

I near on lost it when the umpire didn't call that a wide Kohli fans would have been overjoyed but not sure how it fits into the scheme of things.

Rahul being accommodating is understandable but the umpire should be impartial no? Not that it would have mattered but just felt really really odd.

Good game and nice to see team clicking well in all departments. Let's hope Hardik comes out all well and good. Ankle sprains can be nasty.

As for Kohli being selfish and yada yada, well even though it's a team game, the entire industry harps on individual statistics. Some of the statistics that commentators reveal on TV are just mind boggling. So why not be selfish? Team won, he won, crowd won all went happy. Except for our neighbours of course

Last edited by deathwalkr : 20th October 2023 at 11:27.
deathwalkr is online now   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks