BHPian

Re: The 2023 Cricket World Cup

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capri89 View Post
Ned vs SA

Ned 102 for 5
Extras 21, 16 wide

And it is just halfway mark
What a comeback by Dutch. Scored 243 and now SA reeling at 3/42. Unfortunately I am following only text commentary.

Edit : Now 4 down.

Last edited by rx100 : 17th October 2023 at 20:45.
Old 17th October 2023, 22:23   #182
Distinguished - BHPian

Going by what I am seeing in the Holland- South Africa match, the lesser known teams are more hungry to perform at this World Cup than the fancied teams. Holland just gained in confidence after the last two wickets almost added 100 runs in the end. And they carried that confidence while bowling as well to put South Africa on the mat. First Afghanistan and now Holland, this is the kind of World Cup match I want to see. Pity that the breaks in between the matches are being used to amplify and discuss Indian team and not the match in action !!

The county experience is certainly coming in handy for the Holland players for sure.

Last edited by ABHI_1512 : 17th October 2023 at 22:33.
ABHI_1512 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th October 2023, 22:31   #183
Senior - BHPian

Yet another BIG upset in the cards now. Who would have ever imagined SA folding up to a Netherlands bowling attack today.
Old 17th October 2023, 23:28   #184
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkrishnakj View Post
Yet another BIG upset in the cards now. Who would have ever imagined SA folding up to a Netherlands bowling attack today.
SA were shown the door in the previous T20 WC by the same opponents. I agree to the post above on the weaker teams showing more hunger to win in this WC. Now I wish and pray, Afghanistan wins against NZ tomorrow and we have a hatrick of upsets!

(On a funny note) Now who is putting the blame for SA defeat to the Orange Army on Modi?
VWAllstar is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 18th October 2023, 02:28   #185
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by fhdowntheline View Post
Am I the only one who thinks that this World Cup has generated the least overall interest so far? Its an absolute ho-hum affair.
IMO, here are possible reasons -

1. There is an oversaturation of Cricket due to 3 formats instead of 2 along with T20 leagues. IPL alone is taking 2 months of the calendar.

2. Cricket has moved to entertainment instead of passion or an "experience". People can now access it via their mobiles at any time. Why go to the stadium on weekdays when I can watch the highlights or full replay of the match on my mobile? Most of the people went to the same stadiums to watch IPL matches a few months back

3. People also don't have time now to sit for 8 hours in the stadium due to their busy lives.
how_you_doing is online now   (4) Thanks
Old 18th October 2023, 10:44   #186
BHPian

What a fabulous upset by Netherlands. South Africa just seemed over-confident.
First by not playing Tabraiz Shamsi, a known good spinner against opponents who struggle against spin.
Second by whacking each ball as if the target was 300.
Poor captaincy and strategic errors cost them and easy 2 points.

Hope Afghanistan upset New Zealand today
Old 19th October 2023, 14:05   #187
Distinguished - BHPian

Near Empty Stadium again, this is such a badly organised World cup. BCCI should take complete blame of this, and in the gist of it the limited tickets they actually released to public were so hard to buy anyway.

Lot of people will say this is a working day and crowd will build up and what not, but this sends such a bad signal to the world both how we have failed in administration and also how the format itself is at it's end.

Last edited by AtheK : 19th October 2023 at 14:12.
AtheK is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 19th October 2023, 15:12   #188
BHPian

Hardik Pandya walks off after seemingly injuring his left ankle. A golden opportunity for Shardul Thakur to bowl his full quota of 10 overs and prove his doubters wrong.

If that doesn't happen, probably Rohit Sharma will have enough data if it is better to pick Shami/Ashwin instead.
Old 19th October 2023, 15:40   #189
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bhargav7 View Post
Hardik Pandya walks off after seemingly injuring his left ankle. A golden opportunity for Shardul Thakur to bowl his full quota of 10 overs and prove his doubters wrong.
And the weak link already exposed with the limited overs bowled.

If Hardik unable to play next few matches, do we have any other all rounder waiting in line or it’s time to try SKY and include a proper bowler in place of Shardul. What about Axar, is he still injured?
rx100 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th October 2023, 15:54   #190
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by AtheK View Post
Near Empty Stadium again, this is such a badly organised World cup. BCCI should take complete blame of this, and in the gist of it the limited tickets they actually released to public were so hard to buy anyway.
I'm glad the stadium has barely any spectators (although I do think it'll fill by evening). This stadium in Pune, is as inconvenient has it gets.

- It is about 40km from Pune city centre
- There is NO public transportation to the stadium
- There is a narrow service road leading up to it (pic attached) which gets blocked for kms together
- The parking lot is 2km away from the stadium
- There are NO shuttles from the parking lot to the stadium; you have to walk that distance

Why should spectators tolerate and suffer this nonsense.

The 2023 Cricket World Cup-3f7cd9f82cb140318239b1b34df3db3e.jpg
libranof1987 is offline   (26) Thanks
Old 19th October 2023, 16:16   #191
Senior - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (7)

Another game turning in the middle overs.

Bangladesh going along well, No wickets lost in PP1.

Wickets lost at over#

Coming to the fan experience. I really can't subject my family to this experience in the sun. Would rather travel to Wankhede by train than drive to this stadium. The wife was cribbing today that we didn't go to the game but then, she hasn't experienced this ground first hand.
antz.bin is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 19th October 2023, 17:28   #192
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by libranof1987 View Post
I'm glad the stadium has barely any spectators (although I do think it'll fill by evening). This stadium in Pune, is as inconvenient has it gets.

Attachment 2519097
I just checked the match on Hotstar, the stadium seems to be fully filled. If there are 10% of seats not occupied, they will be when the Indian inning starts IMO.

In India, cricket stadiums need to be privatized. They are in control of state governments and municipal corporations and are run like that only. In fact, Indian sports is a multi-billion dollar market that can be captured by someone who has vision and deep pockets.

1. The need to build their private stadiums where all games including cricket can be played.
2. Start scouting young talent and get them into contracts like the music industry of the USA.
3. Start mixing cricket with other sports to get them more visibility.
4. For sports, marketing is extremely important. Private companies can promote them much better.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTE View Post
Parasites & their offspring should be prevented from any role in sports bodies, I was hopeful when the Supreme Court came out with a good order a few years ago. Unfortunately, they wilfully ignored it.
BCCI does this so they maintain their freedom otherwise they will be absorbed and made a government-run body in a week.
how_you_doing is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 19th October 2023, 18:20   #193
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Amenities for spectators and their convenience is the most neglected part of any sporting event in India. That the stadiums still get full for the India matches is a testament to the fact that love for cricket stumps all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by how_you_doing View Post
In India, cricket stadiums need to be privatized. They are in control of state governments and municipal corporations and are run like that only.
Maximum cricket stadiums are owned and run by the respective cricket associations. Government is hardly involved.
ABHI_1512 is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 19th October 2023, 18:41   #194
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by how_you_doing View Post

In India, cricket stadiums need to be privatized. They are in control of state governments and municipal corporations and are run like that only. In fact, Indian sports is a multi-billion dollar market that can be captured by someone who has vision and deep pockets.
Most likely not because for private entities it will come down to "Is it worth the investment?". Even most of the IPL games are not getting sold out apart from games which has RCB/CSK and play-offs. What will happen once the Big3 players retire, crowd will surely dwindle. With occasional houseful matches it is not worth the money invested in them. For administration, stadium revenue hardly matters because it is in broadcasting deals/Advertisements and stuff like that which is bringing in major chunk of money.
Maybe if we have stadiums for multi-purposes then there might be a chance like the ones in UK/USA although not sure if that concept will be a hit in our country.
Revvatron is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th October 2023, 19:55   #195
BHPian

Quote:

Attachment 2519097
Off topic but can't help noticing the hoarding in the back ground - in the city of timekeepers, all those in the cars are definitely late
Rodie09 is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks