Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 1st November 2023, 16:56   #46
Senior - BHPian

Re: Lost money to a very convincing scam online | Fraudsters posing as Fedex

I think the same group that are involved in this scam have started a new scam.

Today afternoon I got a call from a mobile number +91 82192 77603. On answering, it was a recorded call - "This is from the "Telecom Department". Regarding Blocking Registered Mobile number will be blocked after two hours. For more information, press 9."

Needless to say, I realised it is a scam and cut the call.

These losers can't come up with something new other than the 'Press 9' thing(same as the FedEx parcel scam).

Last edited by skanchan95 : 1st November 2023 at 16:58.
skanchan95 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 11th November 2023, 08:52   #47
Senior - BHPian

Just received a call from this one.

Caller number was +919341134822

Call was received from an IVR and I was told that my parcel has been returned and I had to press 1 to get more information.

Fast forward to the FedEx parcel scam. I remembered this thread and promptly cut the call.
antz.bin is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th November 2023, 17:13   #48
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vignesh207 View Post
I also got the same call claiming that Fedex for a parcel booked in my name from Mumbai to Taiwan containing Illegal items held at Mumbai Airport. While on call, I quickly checked the number with Truecaller to see if it is actually Fedex but it said some random name and marked as Spam.
Scams are very very common in the UK especially since most people use digital currencies and believe it or not people fall for these scams easily. Two groups are particularly targeted. Elderly and immigrants.

What I wanted to say was that truecaller also doesn't always help. My wife got a similar call and they posed as police officers. She cut the call and to her surprise the number that they called from was same as the number of said police station on a quick google search. That is some level of cloning tech or whatever.
drmohitg is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 16th November 2023, 08:12   #49
BHPian

Unfortunately, yet another person scammed in the same manner. From today's newspaper:

https://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/.../105245986.cms

Vigilance of the highest order and the calmness to take a step back to think through is needed before taking any action especially when giving out money. But I guess the crooks are thriving on uncertainty and panic this kind of a call creates in the mind forsaking rational thought. These kind of sums lost will be significant no matter how rich one is
vijaykr is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th November 2023, 13:13   #50
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vijaykr View Post
Unfortunately, yet another person scammed in the same manner....
Just read the article and wanted to post this here.
In this case the person transferred 95L to the fraudsters account by himself!!

I am totally shocked and surprised by the manner in which they are able to convince people to do such things.
Old 16th November 2023, 14:08   #51
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vijaykr View Post
Just wondering if there are no upper limits to the amount which can be transferred online in a day/per transaction or is this dependent on the type of account.
Old 16th November 2023, 15:16   #52
BHPian

Most Banks have limits when you add a new payee, mostly 1,00,000 for first 24 hours. some banks have cap of 50,00,000 per day after 24 hours while wallets have limit of 25,000 per day.
DHARM is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 21st November 2023, 06:06   #53
BHPian

Another case reported and this time the amount transferred was 1.52cr!!

https://indianexpress.com/article/ci...-9034916/lite/

Quote:
Trusting the person who pretended to be a DCP, the 66-year-old man transferred Rs 1.52 crore through RTGS from his State Bank of India account to a Punjab National Bank account. The fraudsters who claimed that they would send back the money within 30 to 40 minutes after verifying whether money laundering was involved did not respond once the money was transferred, the victim has alleged.
Old 25th November 2023, 07:01   #54
BHPian

Finally some breakthrough in this scam

Quote:
Eight people, including four each from Davangere and Bengaluru, have been arrested so far, with police suspecting that the arrested are foot soldiers of a kingpin who is still at large.
https://www.deccanherald.com/india/k...msters-2784448
115 is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 10th December 2023, 10:49   #55
BHPian

Virtually confined for three days by fraudsters impersonating fake Mumbai Crime Branch officers, a businessman lost Rs 1.98 crore to FedEx courier scam

Lost money to a very convincing scam online | Fraudsters posing as Fedex-20231210_104633.jpg
BrokenHW is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 12th December 2023, 09:18   #56
BHPian

This happened to me couple of weeks ago and I was saved by ultimately..bad mobile network strength.

It was early morning and a call woke me up from sleep. So I was not active state of mind. An automated voice says call from TRAI and number will be blocked. Dial 2. After dialing 2, a person on the other side said he is calling from TRAI and many people have complained that they have got extortion and threatening calls from my number. I said no and he gave one junk number obtained by my aadhar number. I asked when that number is obtained. He said April 23 and some ghatkopar, Mumbai shop address. He also said police complaint has been raised. My mind was in panic and I thought my aadhar has been compromised. However I said I didn't take any number in April or in last 5 years. Now he didn't realise my panic because of bad network and had to repeat many times.
So he abruptly disconnected the call. I was still thinking it was genuine and my aadhar was taken. I tried to call back and switched off. Then I tried to lodge a complain in trai website and saw it was very old school govt website with no customer complains form.

With my drowsiness going away and able to think properly, I noticed the irregularity. First the call came from a mobile number , why would TRAI call from a mobile number. Second, TRAI is regulatory body for big mobile operators. Why would they call a person. And thirdly the person was speaking like a South Indian ascent , he said he was from TRAI office Bangalore. On installing Truecaller, the name displayed was Ritesh Singhania - spam.

I know about WhatsApp video call blackmail and also electric bill sms scam. But this was something I was not prepared for.

Anyway this invoke my interest and I saw a lot of news articles and videos on scams operating. In India, WhatsApp call and now police officer call are very common. Saw news article where TRAI scam has been successful.
On the international front, there is the romance scam which Nigerian scamsters target old ladies and gentlemen and once hook them, gets out a lot of money.

And then there is tech support scam, which unfortunately is mostly from India. These guys target elderly people in US, UK, Canada or the immigrants and extort a lot of money.
SidTheChamp is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th December 2023, 09:38   #57
BHPian

Yo, I was blessed by the telecom scam gods today.

This was the number I got the 'Press 9' scam call from:
Lost money to a very convincing scam online | Fraudsters posing as Fedex-screenshot_20231212093641.png

Immediately cut the call and blocked.
Small Bot is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 20th December 2023, 13:49   #58
Distinguished - BHPian

Every other day I read some news of a Bangalore techie being scammed. Who are these techies from Bangalore?!

Lost money to a very convincing scam online | Fraudsters posing as Fedex-fraud.png
androdev is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 20th December 2023, 17:52   #59
Senior - BHPian

I too received recorded message saying my FedEx parcel is stuck at customs.
Is there any use of reporting these numbers? Why can't cybercrime police go after these numbers?
Old 21st December 2023, 21:53   #60
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by funkydude View Post
I received an automated call from FedEx on 11th September. The IVR stated that my courier had been returned at Mumbai and that to speak with FedEx customer care I needed to press 9.

Pressed 9 and spoke to someone who confirmed by name and phone number. Informed me that he is from FedEx International division and that my courier from Mumbai to Taiwan is returned. I promptly denied having sent any courier and that I am not from Mumbai.

Next he said that my Aadhar card was with the courier and it had my details and asked me to stay on hold while he transferred the call to his senior.

Within a couple of seconds, the line got disconnected. I did panic for a few minutes and then realized this is a scam.

Beware and inform your near and dear ones about this scam before anyone becomes a victim.
Same story with me today from the number +91 8218452192. Same FedEx shipment to Taiwan held up by customes at Mumbai Airport, my Aadhaar card has been given, after listening I'm not from Mumbai the person suggested to lodge police complaint. I realized this is a scam, told will lodge a police complaint against the person and disconnected.

I believe all our transactions getting leaked and informations goes to the fraudsters.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks