Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 10th July 2024, 14:47   #241
BHPian

Re: Lost money to a very convincing scam online | Fraudsters posing as Fedex

Please report all fraudulent/fake/scam calls/WhatsApp messages to the Department of Telecom here.
DigitalOne is online now   (6) Thanks
Old 10th July 2024, 22:04   #242
BHPian

Since this is becoming common let me leave a few thoughts here. I'm privileged to work for the Indirect Tax Authorities.

1. No government official will ever conduct an investigation over skype/whatsapp/call etc. Most Indirect Tax Departments (Preventive/Enforcement/DRI) will always issue you a summons in writing under S. 108 of the Customs Act. The summons will carry a "DIN" which you can verify with the issuing department's website. Even if you receive the summons via some electronic method, always check the DIN. If you are still in doubt, call up the office, most departments have fully functioning help desks. Customs by nature upon interception of parcel, will conduct an investigation. If it is a serious case (narcotics/banned or prohibited substances/wildlife) the IO will reach your doorstep for sure following due process alternatively you'll get summons, but not in this fraudulent manner.

2. If indeed the scammers are convincing by providing your personal details to some parcel, hang up. No officer of any Department will indulge in such tactics. They will at best request you to attend the office/place of investigation. I'll give you two examples. Case A where you send a parcel which is actually intercepted by the authorities for some violation, you'll get a summons, you attend the offence, determine the violation, if it was without malice etc you'll probably be fined, if you've done it intentionally, then you know the consequences. Case B someone accesses your details phone/age/work place/etc etc and then uses that to send a parcel, attend to the office explain your case, no officer will detain an innocent person. Worse case your details are misused and some officer actually connects with you, after due verification they will drop the case.

3. Please do not go by the general filmy perception that Customs Officers or other officers are out there to just wrap you up in some case or the other. Customs Investigations are meticulous and to the point. If your personal details have been misused upon presentation of proper proof you will be exonerated. The scammers feed on the fear mentality of innocent persons unaware of the law.

4. All departments follow a detailed process before freezing/seizing or attaching your assets. It's not done at a drop of a hat, and many senior officers are involved in ensuring the orders are passed validly. A freezing/attachment/seizure order has to be passed and in certain cases has to be confirmed by a higher authority.

5. Please stay calm and do not engage with the scammer. Use the cybercrime website to lodge the complaint. If you believe the scam was very serious please engage a qualified lawyer. Most of all remember, if you believe that you've become entangled in something seek legal guidance. Similarly arrest of any person by the Tax Authorities is also subject to numerous checks prior to issuance of warrants/decision to arrest. In most cases arrests are made consequent to summons or detention on spot when a person is caught with something. There is nothing called a "digital arrest" and despite every man's wildest dream, no x-ray software exists either to see inside you using a webcam.
shady_lawyer is offline   (53) Thanks
Old 10th July 2024, 22:39   #243
BHPian

i just want to mention that many of these scams start with you sharing your name and mobile number at every supermarket/store where you make a purchase. In addition to the store spamming you, unscrupulous employees might share the customer database with property/loan marketing agencies and God forbid, scammers!

Nowadays, I simply refuse to share my mobile number at any newly visited store. Points be damned when I'm unlikely to visit the place again. Anyway, most of these point redemptions are fraught with conditions that make them useless anyway.

In fact, I had a verbal altercation with a Reliance Trends employee about not honouring returns if I did not provide my mobile number. I'd recommend that you do not buy from such places if you are ever being forced into sharing your personal information.

Last edited by sydras : 10th July 2024 at 22:40.
sydras is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 11th July 2024, 01:03   #244
Senior - BHPian

I just give a dummy 98454 12345, and the store guy gives me a weird look
Quote:
Originally Posted by sydras View Post
In fact, I had a verbal altercation with a Reliance Trends employee about not honouring returns if I did not provide my mobile number. I'd recommend that you do not buy from such places if you are ever being forced into sharing your personal information.
Sebring is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 11th July 2024, 09:49   #245
BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bblost View Post
Please share such videos with the vulnerable members in your family so that they can understand just how persuasive these fellows are.
I spilled my coffee when I heard " take action on ICICI " & " is there any money, I'll take that ", "Not IPC section, BNS" OMG. . lol

Last edited by Sk8r : 11th July 2024 at 10:01.
Sk8r is online now   (11) Thanks
Old 11th July 2024, 10:17   #246
BHPian

Quote:
So I got a call from some guy who said a bank account created in my name has been used for illegal transactions to the tune of 25 lakhs.

Since I already knew about this scam, I hit the record button on my phone and had some fun.
Very unprofessional scammers!

1. Constable Patil having a full Malayalam accent!

2. The second person in the call do not even know Thane in Mumbai!

3. When asked a phone number to return the call, Mumbai police gives a Delhi Number! (011-)

You must have had a real fun time!

Last edited by suhaas307 : 12th July 2024 at 10:41. Reason: Please note: Only TWO emoticons are permitted per post. Please read the Announcements and Rules carefully before proceeding!
Srikanthan is offline   (17) Thanks
Old 11th July 2024, 10:51   #247
BHPian

My wife received a call from 9102700891 today and the modus operandi was the same as mentioned by many BHPians above.

- Call from FedEx customer care (IVR then directed to a caller)
- Parcel with her name and Aadhar being sent from Mumbai to Taiwan has been detained
- Illegal substances have been found
- She is under investigation
- Has to physically come immediately to Mumbai Crime Branch

I got super excited, snatched the phone from her, shouted the choicest epithets into the handset and cut the call. Subsequently, as expected, my wife berated me for my behavior :-)

Surprised to see the same modus operandi is still working with FedEx scammers despite a whole thread on TBhp.
Rajeev1 is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 11th July 2024, 13:17   #248
BHPian

Yesterday got a call from +91 98124 83939. Seems to be a low cost scammer.

Without an IVR welcome, went straight to the customer relationship manager

He parroted 'I am calling from FedEx International Courier, Please tell your tracking number' in Hindi. I deliberately greeted him with 'hello hello no audio hello'

The CRM was patience enough to let go my drama and assured that he will help to find the courier once I share the tracking no. I let out an imaginary no, sort of pi value, peppered with English alphabets. To my surprise, he put me on hold and came back telling that there is no such courier.

Then he asked my name and number so that he can better serve me. When I told him that he is the one called and he should have my name and number, he kept on asking for my name and number. By then I lost the 'kick' value and disconnected the call. He was really deliberate, might be backlog in daily target.

Two different observations this time.
- The target group seems to be low income local language type. Motto seems to be whatever is possible, just scrub it and leave it.
- Parroting few phrases to avoid wrath of 'aware customers'
krrisdrive is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 11th July 2024, 14:51   #249
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sebring View Post
I just give a dummy 98454 12345, and the store guy gives me a weird look
I pity the guy who paid a hefty premium to get a VIP number like 98454 12345.
Wonder how many calls he must be receiving on your and many others behalf.
xway is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 11th July 2024, 14:57   #250
BHPian

Too hilarious Imran. Made my day. It seems you had a lot of time at hand.

I got a call from Customs department on a Sunday, I asked, since when did government start working on a Sunday and he hung up
gauravdgr8 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 11th July 2024, 16:01   #251
BHPian

Well done. Hope you have reported to the official govt website-
https://sancharsaathi.gov.in/sfc/Home/sfc-complaint.jsp
RunGaDa is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th July 2024, 16:46   #252
BHPian

Superbly handled brother . Ya these calls have increased manifold. I recently got a call from someone form DOT and mentioned that my number will be disconnected by today EOD.
After that it was same Modus Oprendi .
Cyber cell and all that. These guys are finding new ways every time to earn some easy money.
"Satyamev Jayate" was the cherry on the cake.

Last edited by Artyom : 11th July 2024 at 16:51.
Artyom is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 11th July 2024, 17:52   #253
BHPian

Please note my Badge no.
HCC slash 839

IPC is over now BNS.

Scammer Shocked !!!

Imran Rocked
PistonCrown is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 11th July 2024, 20:17   #254
BHPian

Quote:
I uploaded the video as I realize the language and tone used by these creeps is quite intimidating.

Someone who is very docile or timid can get easily intimidated by them.
This is 100% bonafide malayali accent.
true_sedan is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 12th July 2024, 10:51   #255
BHPian

Quote:
You have patience!! I would have hurled a truck load of abusive words at him

Looks like he is a mallu guy based on the mother tongue influence on his language.
ASP007 is online now   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks