Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 24th June 2024, 11:29   #211
Senior - BHPian

Re: Lost money to a very convincing scam online | Fraudsters posing as Fedex

Quote:
Originally Posted by deathwalkr View Post
Not sure if courts call you directly asking you to appear. Legal notice to the registered address would be the protocol i think.
I too didn't expect. But then the details mentioned in call matched that of legal notice. And no where I was asked for money was just asked to attend hearing in person. I said please registered notice to my address which never came. Lawyer notice was via whatsapp.
Old 24th June 2024, 11:37   #212
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrideRed View Post
This could have been genuine. Just that your number is attached to loan but you don't have any accountability. I got a legal notice too from a lawyer but clearly name and address wasn't mine and notice clearly mentioned if you are not the said person, ignore. This was followed by a call from someone with Delhi Magistrate asking me to attend hearing.
There is a very thin chance for that because

- During loan approval process, IDs submitted goes through back ground check and will point to out these errors (unless there is a nexus between multiple agencies for identity theft)
- Notification related to loan application and approvals and follow ups would have landed on my mobile (unless the borrower changed the mobile number with loan department just before defaulting with ulterior move)
- If this is genuine case of identity theft, court person will actually accuse me of defaulting rather than telling me that some one has used my number in a defaulted loan

However, I do see that in news and even in this thread, using court summons to scam is not yet reported wide enough.
Old 27th June 2024, 09:56   #213
BHPian

I received the following message on my mobile phone today morning.

Article No:RM6xxxxxxx5IN received @ Mumbai CRC L1R on 26/06/2024 20:37:41.Track @ www.indiapost.gov.in

I didn't remember expecting any registered parcel.
Also googled what CRC L1R means.
CRC means Computerized Registration (sorting) Centre.
L1R means Level 1 sorting centre for registered parcels

Thereafter, logged into Indiapost portal and tracked the consignment number.

The consignment was said to have originated from Bhandup and the article was 'Registered printed book'

As I order books regularly on Amazon,I checked my Amazon app and found the same tracking number on one of the books that I ordered "The complete Sherlock Holmes"

I was relieved that this was not a fake message and it was a genuine message about despatch of one of the books that I ordered online.

The point I want to make here is,
When you receive any SMS with link, DO NOT PRESS that link. Instead, search on internet and visit the official website/portal of the said department and try contacting with them through email or contact number provided on the portal.

Again make sure that it's not a fake/ phishing website by carefully reading the internet address (http instead of https for security, letter mismatch etc) and then open the website. The Govt portals end with "gov.in"

Never click on the link provided by the sender (even if it's a genuine one, as it happened in my case) Go to their original website on internet by typing their address.

Send an inquiry email to their official email ID or cal their toll-free number or any contact number or the best option if possible is to physically visit the nearest branch of the said Govt department.

If someone purports to call from Crime department, visit the nearest police station and take it further from there. (This is, if you are sure that you haven't committed anything wrong for which you are accused)

I was relieved that my parcel was genuine, but the lengths to which I went to dig deeper to find more about it reflects that we have come to see everything with suspicion and trust is losing the battle. Be it so, times have changed and as they say, better be safe than sorry..
ashkamath is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th June 2024, 10:29   #214
Senior - BHPian

Got the "sir your insurance policy is lapsed..." scam call yesterday.

Bajaj Allianz apparently, a policy that expired in 2013 (Yeah, never taken a policy from them) and usual hungama of how if i pay x amount now, i can get y amount as bonus!

Asked the lady to mail me the details. And click, that was that!
Old 6th July 2024, 23:18   #215
BHPian

I was almost scammed today and believed them until halfway through the call.

I received a call today at 1:48 PM from the FedEx Mumbai Branch (No: +91 9869969549), stating that a package sent from Mumbai to Iran was being held due to the illegal contents. Since I was expecting a package from FedEx, I asked him for more details about who sent it and the contents. He said that the package was sent on 28th July 2024 from Mumbai by my name. I told him I had not sent any package and the last time I visited Mumbai was 5 to 6 years back. He said someone might have used my name, mobile number, and Aadhar card and asked me to file a complaint to Mumbai Cyber Cell immediately without any further delay. He mentioned that he has already filed a complaint from FedEx. He asked me to write down all the details so that I could share them with the police. When I heard the below-mentioned items in the package, I was shocked.

The following are the details that he shared with me:
  • FedEx, East Branch, Mumbai
  • Date: 28th, June 2024
  • Package contents: 6kg (4 expired Iranian passports, 4 Credit Cards, 1 Laptop, 4 Kgs of Clothes, 50 strips of Antibiotic tablets, and 124 grams of MDMA)
  • Package courier amount: 93440 Rs which was already paid using ICICI Debit Card ending with 3387
  • Tracking ID: 228932129187
  • FIR No: ncb/mum/65068
  • FedEx Employee name: Sekhar
  • FedEx Employee ID: FD18456
  • Receiver Name: Rizwan Ahmed, Sister Bander, Iran - 104001

Later, he offered to assist by connecting me with the Mumbai Cyber Cell to file a complaint. I said okay and then someone picked up the call and introduced himself as an Inspector. I explained to him all the details and told him I did not know anything about this and had not sent any package and someone might have used my identity to send the illegal package. Since the package had MDMA drug he asked me to contact NCB Mumbai and file a complaint with them online via Skype. He shared with me the Skype ID '1920 MUMBAI NCB DEPARTMENT' to join.

I joined a Skype call and until this time I had not realised I was being scammed. I was angered that someone had used my identity.

In the Skype call, someone introduced himself as Inspector and shared his ID. I explained to him all the details. He was speaking just like a police officer. He started doubting me and saying I might have been involved. He asked me to send my Aadhar card copy via Skype chat which I did to verify my identity. He then shared the last four digits of my Aadhar card number with another officer. And, that another officer reported that my Aadhar card misuse had persisted for three months with connections to multiple instances of money laundering involving a person named Mohammed Aslam. I was shocked and told him that I had not heard about him. He then sent his photo via Skype chat and asked me to check whether I met him before. I told him I had not seen him before. He then handed over the call to someone since my Aadhar card was involved in a money laundering case.

He asked me about all my bank accounts and I told him I have 6 accounts in different banks. In an angry tone, he questioned me why I had opened 6 bank accounts and whether I was using them for money laundering. He said a lot of IT people are doing money laundering for the commission and asked me to check my bank statement for any funds that I received recently. I logged into one of my accounts and confirmed that I had not received any money and he then asked me to tell him the exact balance in my account including paise which I did. He then asked me to check my other account that’s when I started to suspect something was wrong. Instead of logging into an account, I searched FedEX tracking ID and found it invalid. I then googled “Sykpe + MDMA + Drug + Mumbai” and came across a similar incident reported. I blasted him left and right he then immediately disconnected the call and deleted all the messages and photos on Skype. I was lucky!

After searching for 'MUMBAI NCB DEPARTMENT' on Skype, I found 100s of Skype directories.
Lost money to a very convincing scam online | Fraudsters posing as Fedex-whatsapp-image-20240706-23.09.11.jpeg
Lost money to a very convincing scam online | Fraudsters posing as Fedex-whatsapp-image-20240706-23.09.10.jpeg

The following are the few similar FedEx scams reported in the news:

A doctor lost 4.5 crore: Link

Someone lost 62.99 lakhs: Link

Techie from Pune lost 19 lakhs: Link

Sales manager lost 56 lakhs: Link

Manager from embassy of Ireland lost 7 lakhs: Link

Lawyer was duped of over Rs 14 lakh and made to strip on video for a fake narcotics test: Link
Quote:
After they took all the money, Abhishek Chauhan asked me to get ready for narcotics drugs test. I was forced to strip and asked to make lewd videos while the camera was on. They threatened and abused me to continue doing so or they would arrest me and my family in a drugs case and also kill or hurt me and my family, the lawyer mentioned in the FIR.
TurboTorque is offline   (32) Thanks
Old 8th July 2024, 08:56   #216
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurboTorque View Post
This is really a narrow escape.

May I suggest to review your exposure to this incident and try to change the identities if possible, like email id etc. Just a precautionary suggestion.

Also, report to the authorities, again as a precaution.
krrisdrive is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 8th July 2024, 12:19   #217
BHPian

Disclaimer:

1. I had two minds on this to post or not. However, posted anyway.
2. This was narrated by a person I know but not a friend. I believe him 100% and there is no reason to fake.
3. This may sound dramatic, but anyways.

This person is working in a car dealership at Navi Mumbai. Last week, one evening, he had a few visitors asking for him at his work place. They were from DRI and asking him to come along. They said that they are unaware of the reason and was just told to bring this person. After checking their ID cards, this person along with his friend, proceeded with them.

The Innovas reached JNPT (India's biggest contain sea port, some 25 km away from Navi Mumbai) and there were few more officers(?) joined. Lot of enquiries regarding this person's dealing with car in front of a container. So he thought someone who bought car from dealership did some illegal activities.

Then they brought some other person and asked whether he knows him. He declined and there are some more inquiry.

Finally this person (after approx 4 hrs) was let go and was informed that his Aadhar card was misused.

Please take it with pinch of salt, anyway.

Last edited by KarthikK : 8th July 2024 at 12:39.
krrisdrive is online now   (5) Thanks
Old 8th July 2024, 13:21   #218
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by krrisdrive View Post
The Innovas reached JNPT (India's biggest contain sea port, some 25 km away from Navi Mumbai) and there were few more officers(?) joined. Lot of enquiries regarding this person's dealing with car in front of a container. So he thought someone who bought car from dealership did some illegal activities.
Having worked at JNPT some decades back, I can tell you that area was very very notorious for thefts. I don't know what's the status now though. Cars/trucks/containers, you think of anything and that can become a ghost in front of your eyes. Police/customs/officials/locals were in cahoots with each other to carry out such malice acts. Those days it was kind of mafia area, no one dared to deal with them.

I remember, once there was a theft of a whole 40 feet container and then the thieves dropped this container in the open field in the middle of the night some 30 odd kms from the port and ran away. Later we came to know that, mistakenly they picked the wrong container filled with onions. No one claimed that container for months and months and the whole area was filled with a nauseating stinking smell of rotten onions, whenever you passed through that road.

So I'm not surprised that he was called for some sort of interrogation. And if they entered the port area, then probably they were genuine. In those days, no one could enter the JNPT port as the security was pretty high and even had chemicals scanners on the gate.

Last edited by NomadSK : 8th July 2024 at 13:33.
NomadSK is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 9th July 2024, 09:51   #219
Senior - BHPian

As i was reading this thread today, i got a call from a number 9922998011, an IVR stating its a call from customs and there is an issue with a parcel. To know more I had to press a certain number, immediately disconnected.
This issue has become very serious and one needs to be very vigilant.
rakesh_r is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 9th July 2024, 10:06   #220
BHPian

Quote:
He said that the package was sent on 28th July 2024 from Mumbai by my name.
In such situations, I always ask for proof. I get a lot of these calls and I ask them for video proof of me sending the package. In addition, I tell them that I can use your ID to send a package then what will you do.

In almost all cases, the scammer hangs up on me.
Tiago_Boy is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 9th July 2024, 10:18   #221
BHPian

Quote:
Almost similar story of mine. The fraudsters are well scripted and act well, scene by scene, for each incident. Even the characters names are the same.I shared my experience here.

https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/shift...fraudster.html (My narrow escape from a cyber fraudster)

Last edited by ampere : 9th July 2024 at 10:53. Reason: fixed quote tag
Bonemechanic is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 9th July 2024, 10:20   #222
BHPian

I read in the news that Bengalureans alone lost 65.19 cr in 5 months to FedEx scam. This number is alarming.

Lost money to a very convincing scam online | Fraudsters posing as Fedex-12d02bbc839741b4b324cfd0ceea1217.jpg
TurboTorque is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th July 2024, 10:25   #223
BHPian

There is one more scam in the name of Telecom department. They will call you and say that one of your mobile number (some random number) has been misused for some illegal activities and all your mobile numbers will be blocked within 2 hours. The same story will continue, they will connect you to some other person who will introduce himself as an officer in telecom department and start inquiring and ask for details. Once I received such a call and I started questioning back and they disconnected immediately.

It was so professional like they have a IVRS system and initial message is a recorded voice and it will ask you to press some number for more details and then you will get connected.
Old 9th July 2024, 10:39   #224
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by skpprabhu View Post
There is one more scam in the name of Telecom department. They will call you and say that one of your mobile number (some random number) has been misused for some illegal activities and all your mobile numbers will be blocked within 2 hours. The same story will continue, they will connect you to some other person who will introduce himself as an officer in telecom department and start inquiring and ask for details. Once I received such a call and I started questioning back and they disconnected immediately.

It was so professional like they have a IVRS system and initial message is a recorded voice and it will ask you to press some number for more details and then you will get connected.
I played along and gave them all possible ** words from hindi dictionary ..felt so much better
Aviator_guy is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 9th July 2024, 10:55   #225

I had a similar encounter a few days back, and this was about a credit card on my name with a due pending about Rs. 1.5 Lakhs. The person on the other end first said they called from credit card section of SBI, and asked if I'm using any SBI credit card. I happen to use one, so I replied yes. He then asked me my name as in the card which I said. He continued by saying that there is a due pending of about Rs. 1.5 Lakhs against my credit card and I needed to clear the dues immediately to avoid legal action by the bank to recover the amount.

When I said my card's statement never mentioned such an amount as due, he asked whether my card number ends with XXXX. I said no, he said the card is in my name, and was issued from some branch located in Mumbai. I replied I had not been to Mumbai nor applied credit card from a Mumbai branch, he said it is possible that my credentials are wrongly being used, and asked me to disclose my aadhar number.

At this point, I got suspicious and asked him why does he need aadhar number from me and asked to verify it from KYC documents with the bank. Then I asked the email id to which the statement of the card he mentioned & demand notice for the pending dues was sent. He then started blabbering that he does not have the access to see the email id nor the KYC documents, and I need to share the details so that he can verify and SAVE me. By this time, his voice started sounding unsure. I started to ask about his employee id no., and official email id, and that I'm filing a complaint with the bank right away, he cut the call abruptly.

What I want to share is that when this happens for the first time, it sounds so convincing at the beginning of the conversation that people tend to share their credentials promptly. I almost did; this very thread flashed in my mind right at the moment, and I could stop myself from disclosing any further information. If not, despite having heard of such instances, I would have shared my aadhar details and god knows what would have happened after.
microscopic is online now   (3) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks