Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 19th June 2024, 12:01   #166
BHPian

Re: Lost money to a very convincing scam online | Fraudsters posing as Fedex

Today morning i got a call from "Bombay High Court" claiming that i had a summon in my name and wanted me to press 9. I hung up immediately.
car-dent is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 19th June 2024, 12:51   #167
Senior - BHPian

Received this a few days ago:

Lost money to a very convincing scam online | Fraudsters posing as Fedex-2.jpg

Then I received a call from one of the officers. Told them I only dealt in drugs and did some part-time human trafficking. If the offences in the letter were not taken off the list, I would sue them for defamation. Person at the other end didn't know what to say and hung up.
pranavt is offline   (69) Thanks
Old 19th June 2024, 13:07   #168
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SedateGuy View Post
Till then she was arguing with me how we can keep somone's money and we should transfer back the money right away before the cops got involved.

Shouldn't be too honest without verifying.
I had a very different experience but related to genuine transfer by mistake. I got a credit of 15K in my bank account and I thought it could be due to some dividend or something and kept mum. Then after about 3 weeks, I got another credit of 10K and this time I was contemplating what to do. The credit was done from UPI and there was a phone number attached to it.

While I was contemplating, I got a call from one of my known that someone called him to say that by mistake money has been transferred. The known requested me to return the same. Now, with so many variations of fraud going around, I become very suspicious. So, to confirm that the voice is genuine and not a spoof, I called my known back again and then confirmed a conversation we had sometime back. This confirmed that it was he on the call genuinely and not a artificial made up voice.

Now the question arose as to how this known got to know of transfer to my bank account. It seems, the number to which the UPI transfer was done was earlier used by my wife and was tagged to this account. Later, when the number got allocated to a new person, the linkage did not break. So, when the new holder of the old mobile number requested someone to send money on that mobile number, it hit my bank account. After two such transactions, he came to know that there is a glitch.

Now, coming to the interesting part as to how the known became aware was that, he had saved my wife's old number and did not update it. So, when he called this person to inquire about my wife, the affected party narrated the incident and requested that the money be returned back.

So, it was a genuine case of mistaken identities and I promptly returned the money back. All is well that ends well.
autobahnjpr is offline   (15) Thanks
Old 19th June 2024, 15:26   #169
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SedateGuy View Post
Just yesterday my wife got a very genuine looking SMS saying Rs 10k has been transferred to her account, followed up by a phone call informing her that her husband Mr Nk (giving my correct name) has asked to transfer 13k to her account and he will transfer the balance 3k immediately. She then gets another SMS that 30k had been transferred to her account, followed up again by a call that 30k was an accident and it was supposed to be only 3k, so she should transfer 27k back to him.

My lovely wife calls me to fire me for asking random people to transfer money to her account. I had to calm her down and explain that I have done no such thing. In the meanwhile the crook is blasting her phone with missed calls. When she answers the phone and tells him my husband knows nothing about it, he talks to someone at his end and then says it was meant for another Mr Nk's wife and she should transfer back 40k and keeps insisting that she do it immediately else he will complain to the cops.

My wife is all ready to transfer 40k to him and it took an effort on my part to convince her that she should transfer nothing. I told her to check her bank account to see if there were any credits, and there were non. It was only then she realised it's a scam and agreed to not transfer anything. Till then she was arguing with me how we can keep somone's money and we should transfer back the money right away before the cops got involved.

Shouldn't be too honest without verifying.
Happened to me a couple of weeks back, someone sent me a message indicating some amount got transferred to my account, and then called to transfer it back. They started the conversation that your father asked me to transfer this amount and I believed that considering that there was indeed a transaction pending which my father had to make. Without any doubt I believed him, the moment he called me again I had my doubts and checked my bank transaction and voila I was tricked. Somehow since I didn't make that transaction I got saved but seriously the messages they sent are so close to the real messages you will have doubts about not believing it and most probably fall into the trap. So before doing any transaction please validate and check your transactions or bank balance.
Highh5 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 19th June 2024, 16:50   #170
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pranavt View Post
Received this a few days ago:

Then I received a call from one of the officers. Told them I only dealt in drugs and did some part-time human trafficking. If the offences in the letter were not taken off the list, I would sue them for defamation. Person at the other end didn't know what to say and hung up.
Sheers Guts to you for Making the spammer feel inferior. I think after hearing, he was like, isne toh mujhe he dara diya!
iampulo is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 19th June 2024, 17:16   #171

Have you noticed that this kind of fraudulent calls are coming to those whose bank accounts are been linked up with say G-pay or phone pay etc.

Couple of my friends went to this kind of scams, both were using G-pay.

It may sound old school but I am still not using this G-pay I haven’t linked my any of the accounts to any of this apps. I still use my debit cards and cash for transactions. I do my bill payments by using phone pe but via ecom.

Many of my friends suggested me to open one account and just put 20k to 30k in that account and link that account to this apps for G-pay and UPI.
MAMOTH is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th June 2024, 17:18   #172
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by autobahnjpr View Post
I had a very different experience but related to genuine transfer by mistake.
So, it was a genuine case of mistaken identities and I promptly returned the money back. All is well that ends well.
While there are tons of benefits of UPI , there are many things that need to be corrected. There is hardly any traceability or reversing a transaction gone wrong.
In poor network conditions, the transaction sometimes gets stuck and you don't know if it will fail or get through. If you do payment by alternate means and the payment eventually goes through, you are at the mercy of the receiver to get your money back. There is no proper grievance mechanism.

Apart from that, there are other issues- for ex. I had done some online shopping and paid from my personal bank account through cred UPI. I had to return that item, and the refund was done through UPI, but i didn't receive money in my bank account. Cred was not able to properly track where the money was gone, and in their system it showed that it had been credited to the source account. they even told me the acc no where the money was credited. this number was same as my account number but there was no money received in that account. they even asked for my account statement which i provided, but they seemed to have no clue where did the money go.

After a lot of emails back and forth, finally we found that the money was credited to one of our pvt ltd company current account. I had never even linked that account to my UPI id or anything, but somehow just because same phone number was registered for that account , it went into that account.

So, UPI as much as its convenient, its equally dangerous. And ability to do high value transactions in a jiffy adds to the risk.

There should at least be a portal where we can put the UPI reference number to verify the source and destination of a transaction.
car-dent is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 19th June 2024, 19:14   #173

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverado View Post
He will send you a .APK file and ask you to install it. I was distracted at home when i downloaded it on my phone inspite of the 10sec delay the warning gives.
Had to Factory reset my phone as a precaution.
Though I use an Android phone, with increasing scams like these, I now understand the value of iPhone as it is very difficult to hack.
If there are little kids around who use the phone, such scam messages with .apk files can be very dangerous. We may not even know if such .apk files gets installed accidentally. So please find a way to lock WhatsApp for safety reasons.
onthewheels is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 19th June 2024, 21:02   #174
Distinguished - BHPian

Seems like FedEx scam is now passé, they are now using IndiaPost as their new modus operandi. Although use of little common sense should be enough to understand the scam !!

Lost money to a very convincing scam online | Fraudsters posing as Fedex-img_5096.jpeg
ABHI_1512 is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 19th June 2024, 21:47   #175
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ABHI_1512 View Post
Seems like FedEx scam is now passé, they are now using IndiaPost as their new modus operandi.
Since when did IndiaPost start using iMessage and an iPhone?

Name:  trim.F774E7C56D6B40C6A422BDC498769990.gif
Views: 393
Size:  1.63 MB
Abhi da, you can answer “Y” with some iMessage effects.
ex-innova-guy is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 19th June 2024, 22:09   #176
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by car-dent View Post
Today morning i got a call from "Bombay High Court" claiming that i had a summon in my name and wanted me to press 9. I hung up immediately.
I received this the other day and purposely dialed 9 to have some fun and asked the guy who picked up to give details. He claimed he is from 'Andheri Police Station' and the court has transferred the call to him. I think he figured out from the tone of my voice that I wasn't scared with the 'High Court Summons', hence told me to disconnect if I didn't know about any case.

I replied that I will reach Andheri police station in 10 minutes to discuss this with him post which he started getting abusive and cut the call ! These guys are pros now that they can make out initially itself who is really scared and take it from there.

With so much evidence of these cases reported across various media channels, it's strange so many people still fall prey to these scams. I see everyone seems to be losing 25L plus which makes me wonder how people have so much money lying around and question my financial planning...
fiat_tarun is offline   (12) Thanks
Old 20th June 2024, 00:14   #177
BHPian

I have installed a call blocker app on my phone. The beauty of this app is that only those on my contact list may call me. The rest are blocked automatically. It does even let the phone ring! Since then I have had complete peace of mind. And because of this app, no scammer/fraudster is able to call me! Until then I was pestered every day with unsolicited loan, credit card, stock investment, life insurance, car sales, etc. etc. related calls.

However, I do unblock my call blocker for a few hours only on the days I am expecting a parcel from a courier company or food from Swiggy/Zomato. Once the parcel/food is delivered, the call blocker is switched on again promptly.
shaheenazk is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 20th June 2024, 01:14   #178
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shaheenazk View Post
I have installed a call blocker app on my phone.
It is pretty simple on android to do that without an additional app. Go to the Phone App. Go to Blocked Numbers. Toggle Unknown as per your preference.
Fuldagap is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 20th June 2024, 07:48   #179
BHPian

I received IVR call from telecom department saying all my numbers will be blocked and I have to press 1 to avoid cancellation.

Press 1, blast the boy or girl on the other side in all words that I know in English
.HEM is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 20th June 2024, 08:44   #180
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonHyd View Post
Instead of innovating in science and technology, they are innovating in how to scam people. I shudder to think what will happen with rising unemployment coupled with scorching inflation. When a large number of people do not find any legal means to make both the ends meet, it is a recipe for proliferation of crimes. A very tough problem without any solution in sight.
Very true. I think the onus also lies on people to "learn" something useful. People get "educated" but many of them just loiter around in colleges without "learning" much, thinking that job would be offered on a platter for them. With almost free internet in current times, I see many youths happily spending hours watching reels, Insta etc. And we can see its impact through vacancies in companies. News from just 2 days back: TCS is unable to fill 80k vacancies due to skill crunch. https://www.hindustantimes.com/busin...432455434.html
Jupizire is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks