Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 24th August 2023, 11:41   #1
GTO
Team-BHP Support

How LinkedIn has changed | Has your LinkedIn usage increased?

We have an old thread on LinkedIn, but it would be an understatement to say things have changed.

Are you spending more time on LinkedIn? What do you use it for? Has it helped you professionally? Has the feed become more interesting?

- LinkedIn has gone beyond just publishing your resume online.

- Microsoft bought LinkedIn for $26 billion. Last year, LinkedIn's revenue rose to $15 billion . THREE times higher than 5 years ago.

- Twitter / X has gone to the dogs, Facebook has gone to the dogs, Instagram Reels are hot, and TikTok has become massive (except in India where it's banned).

- The consensus is, that people are now spending more time on LinkedIn because Twitter & Facebook have become junk.

Am not kidding. Take a look at the information below from Bloomberg - Sorry, But LinkedIn Is Cool Now:

Quote:
The biggest social media platforms all have their niches. Twitter is for arguing with strangers. Instagram is for showing off the best of your 500 selfies. Facebook is for learning too much about an acquaintance from college. And LinkedIn is for updating the obligatory professional profile when you’re looking for a job, then receiving constant emails prompting you to congratulate someone on their “work anniversary.”

Or at least that’s how it used to be. As other networks stagnate, shift their algorithms or burn themselves to the ground, LinkedIn is becoming a site where regular people actually want to hang out and post their thoughts. It might even be cool.
Quote:
But the company says that in the spring of this year, users shared 41% more content on the network than they did in the same period in 2021. That kind of growth is unusual for a 20-year-old operation and speaks to the turbulence at other major social media services.
Quote:
LinkedIn’s business model relies on selling subscriptions to salespeople and recruiters looking to find partners or job candidates. This gives it a tendency toward stability, because it doesn’t need to rely so heavily on the constant attention that helps ad-supported networks make money.
Quote:
For social media users looking to engage in some old-fashioned self-promotional posting, LinkedIn is the only place left. “On Instagram or TikTok there’s more frustration, because what worked more than a year ago, or even six months ago, that got success and got tons of eyeballs doesn’t today,” says Rezvani. “There’s more of a steadiness with LinkedIn.”

Last edited by Omkar : 24th August 2023 at 11:44.
GTO is offline   (28) Thanks
Old 24th August 2023, 11:53   #2
Senior - BHPian

re: How LinkedIn has changed | Has your LinkedIn usage increased?

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
- Twitter / X has gone to the dogs, Facebook has gone to the dogs, Instagram Reels are hot, and TikTok has become massive (except in India where it's banned).
[/url]:
As someone who uses LinkedIn for more than 5-6 hours every day, LinkedIn has also gone to dogs.
LinkedIn has transitioned to just another Social Media platform from a Professional Network.
I no longer enjoy being on LinkedIn, but unfortunately it is essential for my work.
speedmiester is offline   (80) Thanks
Old 24th August 2023, 12:12   #3
BHPian

Quote:

- The consensus is, that people are now spending more time on LinkedIn because Twitter & Facebook have become junk.

Am not kidding. Take a look at the information below from Bloomberg - Sorry, But LinkedIn Is Cool Now:
Good to bring up this. There's perhaps some truth in that LinkedIn is seeing growing activity, but X is an aggressive competitor. Personally, I feel LinkedIn is too formal for today's life that runs like it's on a stopwatch. Does of course depend a lot on one's occupation and extent of social involvement. While I'm active on both X and LinkedIn, it's roughly 90% time on the former.
DrVjy is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 24th August 2023, 12:16   #4
Distinguished - BHPian

I don't know if it's a function of me getting into middle-age, but I think LinkedIn is being used like Facebook now. I always thought LinkedIn was supposed to be 'professional'. Now I see people posting pics of their kids, family, political leanings/rants, etc etc.

I still see value in LinkedIn, still good for networking and job searches and I bookmark the odd great post that has good information on the domain/tech/industry I'm in. But unless better moderated, it'll become the next twitter/FB. Too many people posting useless stuff that they've just churned up from some other place on the web and trying to ride off that for self-promotion. Or trying to suck-up to their managers by praising/re-posting any random and irrelevant/outdated stuff those guys have posted!

Last edited by am1m : 24th August 2023 at 12:28.
am1m is offline   (26) Thanks
Old 24th August 2023, 12:42   #5

Quote:
Are you spending more time on LinkedIn?
I've stopped using LinkedIn completely. It has become just another social media platform, like X(twitter) or Facebook with people posting silly memes and nonsense that has no relevance to such a platform. It reminds of the days when people used their professional/work emails to send forward emails with junk/timepass content .
metalheadnomad is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 24th August 2023, 12:48   #6
BHPian

Even LinkedIn has become another social media with all nonsense posts. Gone are those days when it was used as professional network.

Everyone is a motivational speaker and counsellor! Only thing here is that these arent posted in the interest of getting more shares/likes.
Oppanna is offline   (15) Thanks
Old 24th August 2023, 12:48   #7
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrVjy View Post
.. There's perhaps some truth in that LinkedIn is seeing growing activity, but X is an aggressive competitor. ..
Some of LinkedIn's growth could be from Sales folk like me that fight with their respective mgmt. to buy Sales Navigator Subscription and then, never use it.

There are bots crawling all around LinkedIn trying to map the 'likes' and sell the data to 'sellers'. Every single time I like any post from 'Sales Humor' on LinkedIn, without fail I get a sales knock on messaging.

As long as LinkedIn continues to milk database like this, growth is not surprising.
14000rpm is online now   (9) Thanks
Old 24th August 2023, 12:56   #8
BHPian

No wonder. I am using LinkedIn for last few years and all my past projects & contracts I got mostly through LinkedIn only. I run a software consultancy and I use LinkedIn extensively to get projects.

It was and is useful till date. But off-late LinkedIn started becoming professional Facebook with lot of unrelated posts and getting spam-y. I use it even now but only for Job postings and nothing else. So, usage has gone down drastically and I feel it's not long before it is down the dog path the other platforms gone to.
xcentrk is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 24th August 2023, 13:30   #9
BHPian

Here is my story, I guess, I'm no longer helping in the revenue making of these Social/digital platforms.

I have detoxed myself from all the social platforms (FB, Twitter, IG, LinkedIN) since 2017, deleted all my social accounts, within a span of a year. I don’t even know how Snapchat or TikTok works. And around 6 years down the line, I Can say, I didn't miss anything in "real" life. Or did I ?

TeamBHP and a Bit of Whatsapp (Keeps me connected where it's actually required) is the only online presence I have as of now.

Me and My wife, found all these social platforms quite intrusive and having a growing kid at home, we wanted to set an example (from home) for not being too dependent on these "non-social" platforms and leading the digital lives.

Last edited by NomadSK : 24th August 2023 at 13:35.
NomadSK is online now   (29) Thanks
Old 24th August 2023, 13:45   #10
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Are you spending more time on LinkedIn? What do you use it for? Has it helped you professionally? Has the feed become more interesting?
My usage has stayed about the same. Don’t use it on a daily basis - maybe login once a month.

Yes, it certainly has helped me professionally in the past.

The new LinkedIn is a far cry from it’s former restrained self. Loads of content but rarely anything useful. Add a bit of virtue signalling and it’s pretty much on the road to being a professional facebook.
Dry Ice is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 24th August 2023, 13:48   #11
BHPian

Unfortunately, LinkedIn has not evolved, but degenerated into just-another social media platform. Till a while ago, LinkedIn actually offered business insights, news about industry, people movements, etc. Sadly, the most number of posts you see these days are regarding happenings on people's personal fronts, rather than professional. I log into LinkedIn only when I get bored with the usual browsing on Twitter, Instagram etc.
IamNikhil is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 24th August 2023, 14:18   #12
Senior - BHPian

I sure am a lot more on LinkedIn compared to earlier. This change is evident in the last 18 months or so. The current job that I am in, the recruiter reached out through LinkedIn and I have placed quite a few people who reached out on LinkedIn as well.

While it is getting more social, it is still an amazing place to expand your professional network.
dass is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 24th August 2023, 14:21   #13
BHPian

Well, I shouldn't really be saying this as an HR dude. But if you ever see me on LinkedIn, it means I'm actively searching for a new job.

But one thing is for sure. If I ever see a young educated person struggling to make ends meet by delivering food in the rains, I'd probably refer him to some recruitment/manpower agencies I know so that he could get a higher paying job - instead of posting hypocritically on LinkedIn about how it inspired and rejuvenated ME.

I don't need to go to LinkedIn to get a load of attention-seeking, look-at-me-so-I-can-feel-relevant posts these days though. I'm in the WhatsApp groups of five different companies I've worked (or working) for, along with a few academic alumni WhatsApp groups. So I see enough of those on a daily basis.
Small Bot is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 24th August 2023, 15:05   #14
Senior - BHPian

My LinkedIn usage has remained the same, i.e., once in a blue moon.

My organization has a tie-up with LinkedIn Learning, and some recommended courses are from there. So that is something that I use. But I don't look at anything else very often.
StarrySky is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 24th August 2023, 15:17   #15
BHPian

My LinkedIn usage was always low, but it has come to a complete stop now. I find the content banal, pretentious and cringeworthy. It is a den of self promotion, self complimenting (in a backhanded way) and useless opinion mongering which no one asked for. Many are using it like Instagram to become influencers. Most sensible connections are on Whatsapp or happen through Whatsapp now.
Malyaj is offline   (11) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks