Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 26th August 2023, 11:13   #46
BHPian

Re: How LinkedIn has changed | Has your LinkedIn usage increased?

I have heard or seen people use linkedin atleast once in a while. I had an account much before I got my first job . However the kind of posts or contents were too professional or sophisticated that I had to deactivate it in less than three months.

Linkedin is mostly used for sharing professional experiences and also for career related aspects. I am unaware of latest changes of linkedin page. I wouldn't opt for having a linkedin account to showcase professional highlights and would prefer using the old school approach of updating my professional experiences.

As I would say, each to their own in terms of one's choices.

Sorry if this post was off topic
Old 26th August 2023, 13:30   #47
BHPian

I use LinkedIn 'almost' daily for professional needs. I use it mainly to check for the following:
  • New jobs - just to see what skills are required with increasing years of experience.
  • Company insights like growth, number of employees, designations etc.
  • To check people & their background in terms of experiences.
  • See insightful posts shared by connections.
Yes, it has helped me professionally, particularly, in finding a new job and of course, to connect with few people in my community which otherwise I would have never known.

LinkedIn feed depends on the people you connect/follow to and their subsequent connections. Since, I add people limited to a particular community, I seldom see viral posts.

I was on Twitter/X earlier but I have deleted my account mainly because most of the people I follow on Tech Twitter have drastically reduced their activity on Twitter. Many are still using Twitter due to years of building connections, thousands of useful tweets & followers which definitely takes time to develop & form a relationship.

Hence, I moved to Mastodon which isn't exactly that user friendly when compared to Twitter/X maybe due to users signing up on different server instances. But it's a good alternative. Slowly, Tech Twitter people are signing up on Mastodon, few on Threads & Blue Sky.

Many people have talked about and urged the importance of having our own website for blogs with RSS feeds because you never know when these networking companies get acquired and/or subsequently their services get deteriorate with time.

Last edited by Bhupesh_2628 : 26th August 2023 at 13:31.
Bhupesh_2628 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 26th August 2023, 14:26   #48
BHPian

LinkedIn stopped being cool after Microsoft acquired then and turned it into Facebook for nerds.

It is still useful to find new career opportunities but the overall content quality has gone down the drain over last few years. Moreover, rarely anyone posts original content and most people just repost from Twitter thread or post other people's content without giving proper credits.
vellatechie is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 26th August 2023, 14:32   #49
Senior - BHPian

1) I never was able to understand how to use Facebook quite frankly. The interface was confusing. Never used it much.
2) Linkedin has also become quite boring , I hardly visit it in every 4-5 months or so.
3) I havent seen how Instagram looks like, so no comments.
4) Used Twitter/X to raise a couple of electricity outage complaints , but thats all.
5) Am a member of a few Whatsapp groups but actively participate in only one or two.
In fact the only platform that I really actively browse and occasionally write is right here. Don't know what sort of personality all this makes me.

Last edited by fhdowntheline : 26th August 2023 at 14:35.
fhdowntheline is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th August 2023, 14:51   #50
BHPian

I was very regular on LinkedIn few years ago.

Just reading the posts and getting the feeling that it’s more like you pat my back I pat yours, realised it’s all nonsense.

How LinkedIn has changed | Has your LinkedIn usage increased?-img_6504.jpeg

Everyone is some life coach on social media although maybe struggling in their own lives.

Anyways, I have deleted the app, but login using a browser if I have too.
Old_Salt is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 26th August 2023, 14:57   #51
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedmiester View Post
As someone who uses LinkedIn for more than 5-6 hours every day, LinkedIn has also gone to dogs.
LinkedIn has transitioned to just another Social Media platform from a Professional Network.
I no longer enjoy being on LinkedIn, but unfortunately it is essential for my work.
Agree. Literally in some sense - so many nonsensical videos of “cute” animals, random scientific demos and other junk that IMHO has no place on a professional networking platform.
LinkedIn is still amazing on that front though. It played a significant role in getting me my last 3 jobs.
Mustang Sammy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th August 2023, 15:06   #52
BHPian

Linkedin is as bad as anything else. One visit to LinkedinLunatics subreddit is enough to prove the same.

In fact, all social media platforms are going down the drain, can't think of anything where I'd like to spend my time except reddit (but that's a very personal platform, and niche platform, meaning not everyone wants to be on reddit).

<Offtopic rant>

Facebook - only folks active are 60+
Twitter - decently good as a news platform, but everyone is creating threads that are clickbaits and painful to read through
Instagram - ah, the pandemic of reels and the millennial folks spamming it.
Linkedin - Linkedin Lunatics, Commenting for better reach morons
Youtube - curated set of creators can lead to quality and engaging content, but again not a platform for interactions.
Pinterest - what's that? All of one from my friend circle uses it.
Threads - died before it could walk
Snapchat - that's only for folks <20yrs of age.

I'm active in two forums - TBHP and IRFCA, and devote most of my time to TBHP, where I find better discussions and matured user group. Being moderated helps too.

<Offtopic rant ends>
LordSharan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th August 2023, 16:57   #53
BHPian

Oh absolutely.

This is now the primary place to search for and advertise jobs. The articles by industry experts are also much better now and there is no real competition to linked in the professional networking space.

I am spending quite a bit of time on linked in.
charanreddy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th August 2023, 17:01   #54
BHPian

I recommend everyone to go through r/linkedinlunatics sub-reddit. After being on LinkedIn for 1.5 years and as a person who got his first job through it when I signed up, I can see it has gone to dogs.

It is filled with 21 year old "successful" Influencer posting cringey content and ending every post with "Agree?"
Siddarth_Ramani is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th August 2023, 18:28   #55
Distinguished - BHPian

Does anyone else notice that it’s only the Indian geography or diaspora who have completely hammered linked in? Or am I mistaken?

I wonder if there is a way to see geography level indicators of cringness on the platform. Something tells me I might be right.
Red Liner is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 26th August 2023, 20:32   #56
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
We have an old thread on LinkedIn, but it would be an understatement to say things have changed.

Sorry, But LinkedIn Is Cool Now[/url]:
For me, linked in has become a big nuisance. Considering the function I work in (my handle says it!), and handling employee benefits in my role, I keep getting 4-5 connection requests every day for a job or from some new startups which are into the wellness space. I keep trying to debunk the common perception that practitioners in my function walk around with 50 jobs to offer from each pocket. That's so far from the truth, but as soon as people see our function, we get flooded with resumes and requests for jobs.

I am inclined to agree with another post on this thread about Linkedin also going to the dogs. Scores of wannabe influencers posting every step of their day, cribbing about their previous organisations, how to deal with toxic workplaces, targeting senior management every time etc. etc. I saw a post from such a wannabe where she mentioned about injuring her foot and not being able to exercise. How that incident woke her and strengthened her resolve and was a life lesson .

And oh yes, no dearth of "Thought leaders" "Leadership coaches", "Learners for Life", "Change evangelists" , "Change magicians", "Happiness officers" and any such fancy adjectives you cannot even think of. Linked in has indeed gone to the dogs and diluted to the extent of being just another FB with DPs in suits.

Last edited by hrman : 26th August 2023 at 20:40.
hrman is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 27th August 2023, 01:08   #57
BHPian

I thought LinkedIn was just for job search, until realised that my like was just posted to all my contacts. That is just so un-called for. I guess I am a LinkedIn Noob, and would like to remain so until my job search that is coming up in the next few months.
I’m also not on Instagram or X, so, maybe I am a noob otherwise too.
But hey, we get to spend our quality time here on Team-BHP
vinya_jag is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th August 2023, 05:14   #58
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hrman View Post
I am inclined to agree with another post on this thread about Linkedin also going to the dogs. Scores of wannabe influencers posting every step of their day, cribbing about their previous organisations, how to deal with toxic workplaces, targeting senior management every time etc. etc. I saw a post from such a wannabe where she mentioned about injuring her foot and not being able to exercise. How that incident woke her and strengthened her resolve and was a life lesson .
Seriously, by that token if my grandfather had social media in his times, he would have been a multimillionaire author of several best sellers based on his railways experience.
Old 27th August 2023, 08:17   #59
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
:
Nice topic. I started using Linkedin extensively only after 2019, that is when I came here to Australia.

But it was mainly for looking for jobs. Even now I go to Linkedin occasionally to check what jobs are available, and what skills I need to build on.

As for other things, I quickly unfollow/block facebook type social/motivational posts and posters that have nothing to do with professional life.

Last edited by Mr.Ogre : 27th August 2023 at 08:27.
Mr.Ogre is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th August 2023, 08:44   #60
Distinguished - BHPian

Another one that went to the dogs at almost the same time as linked in has to be quora. Initially I thought the posts on quora were fantastic. But then I watched as the posts degenerated quickly into a spam fest.

Maximum spam authorship diaspora? India.

Honestly I am super thankful about moderation here on TeamBHP. This forum might be cussed at in public by those who either can't get in or whose ego is bigger than the forum, but I always ask - where are all the other forums? Indeed where are all the OTHER platforms even?!
Red Liner is offline   (9) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks