Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 18th August 2023, 11:11   #16
BHPian

re: Three sudden pilot deaths in the last three days!

For any doubts about covid causing an increase in cardiac arrests, a survey done by Jayadeva hospital in Bengaluru shows an increase in age group 18-45 for last 6 or 10 years. So it was going up even before covid and the same is on the up tick every year.

Regarding the vaccine types, are deactivated virus derived vaccines proven that the newer RNA based ones ?

Sleep and food is something that is easier to manage to lower the risks.

Then I think its better to discuss cardiac issues in another thread that we already have. I have seen multiple state transport drivers having same issues and we dont need a separate thread for that.
Old 18th August 2023, 11:24   #17
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandeepmohan View Post
Sad.

While there is no evidence to any of those, its almost a given that odd working hours, insufficient sleep, working different shifts eventually takes a toll on the human body.
There is plenty of evidence! There have been all kinds of scientific studies to these effects, in other industries and the airline industry.

But what can you do? Flying is always going to take a toll. The one thing that can be done is extend rest periods, which will push the price of tickets up.

Jeroen

Quote:
Originally Posted by condor View Post
. Btw, Tucker Carlson's recently was talking about "how Pharma bought so many govts".
Don’t trust anything Tucker says! Don’t trust people who believe Tucker!

Jeroen

Last edited by Eddy : 21st August 2023 at 00:54. Reason: Merged
Jeroen is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 18th August 2023, 11:54   #18
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeroen View Post
Planes have two pilots up front, sometimes even a third pilot for rotation duty.

Any of them would be fully qualified in handling the plane by themselves. They are likely to declare an emergency so they get priority landing.
This SOP is being challenged by Airbus with their Dragonfly program. Their tech claims to take over in such situations.

One of the drivers of this tech will be the removal of the expensive redundancy in the cockpit. Would love to hear what pilots have to say about this.
Old 18th August 2023, 12:17   #19
Sen
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dust-n-bones View Post
Would love to hear what pilots have to say about this.
I'm all for the luxury we have in being able to say that the 'expensive redundancy' in a cockpit can be challenged by anyone, for-profit organizations like Airbus included.

I'm no pilot, but I'll be damned if I am never going to let automation take over in critical scenarios. In the best of situations we've seen a tendency for even something simpler like self-driving cars balloon, and then summarily fail. How many cars boast of self-driving tech these days? At least slow speed car crashes are survivable in the vast majority of cases.

This redundancy exists on flights worldwide because there shouldn't be a single meal that can 'take care of' both pilots, especially with hundreds of lives in their near-god hands. One wrong move, poof! Hundreds dead. No recourse for the situation, except a post-mortem.

I'm all for having systems like the mentioned ones being a failsafe, albeit in a slightly optimistic light alongside two, fully-functional healthy pilots, thank you very much.
Old 18th August 2023, 12:44   #20
BHPian

Re: IndiGo's Nagpur-Pune flight's pilot collapses at boarding gate, declared dead in hospital

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandeepmohan View Post
Sad.

While there is no evidence to any of those, its almost a given that odd working hours, insufficient sleep, working different shifts eventually takes a toll on the human body.
Actually there is lots of evidence for all of that. Working night shifts increases the chance of malignancies too , apart from other cardiovascular , endocrine and psychological effects.

You might want to read this if interested.

https://blogs.cdc.gov/niosh-science-...20breast%20and
Razor44 is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 18th August 2023, 13:53   #21
Distinguished - BHPian

Found a newslink with some noteworthy revelations.

Another pilot dead on-board 09.08.2023:-

Quote:
On August 9, 2023, tragedy struck United Airlines flight UAL1309 from SRQ to EWR when the pilot suffered a heart attack and lost consciousness in-flight. The incident served as a poignant reminder of the unpredictable nature of medical emergencies and the critical role of prompt intervention.
Yet another on 07.08.2023:-

Quote:
Just two days earlier, on August 7, 2023, a co-pilot on TigerAir flight IT237 from CTS to TPE in Japan collapsed with a medical emergency immediately after landing in Taipei.
Facts about these shocking deaths. The focus on vaccines administered is made by a pilot whose X account handle identity is Bandit. Our friend @condor had already made this reference yesterday.

Quote:
These events, occurring in rapid succession, cast a spotlight on the crucial need for more robust medical assessments and preventative measures for aviation professionals. While the aviation industry is guided by stringent safety regulations, these incidents highlight the complexities and challenges that arise when crew members experience medical emergencies while on or off duty.

"I can't say it's a pattern but given our lifestyle of disrupted sleep patterns, jet lag etc it certainly does take a toll on our bodies. Additionally, it would be worth checking which vaccine did they all take, to see if there is any correlation," a pilot who goes by Bandit on Twitter told IBTimes.

The tragic loss of these pilots serves as a poignant reminder that ensuring the well-being of aviation personnel is not only a matter of safety but also an ethical imperative. As the aviation community grapples with these heart-wrenching incidents, what needs to be done to further strengthen existing safety measures and enhance medical preparedness to minimize the risks associated with in-flight health emergencies.
The link:-

https://www.ibtimes.co.in/another-pi...oogle_vignette

Last edited by anjan_c2007 : 18th August 2023 at 13:59.
anjan_c2007 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th August 2023, 15:23   #22
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anjan_c2007 View Post
The pilot was just 40 years old and had done flights on two sectors between 3.00 am to 7.00 am earlier yesterday from Trivandrum-Pune- Nagpur. He had a 27 hour rest before taking up his duties today the officials said.
Not sure if I am just noticing now but I feel the number of flights at odd hours increased in the domestic sector post covid. International I can understand but who flies from Trivandrum to Pune at 3 in the morning? Similarly, I see TRV-BLR flights around midnight. Wonder if this is impacting the sleep cycles of the crew?
Jaguar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th August 2023, 16:22   #23
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (12)

It is worth checking out a film called “A Dark Reflection” it is apparently made and funded by airline crew and ground staff. It covers a few issues and cover ups that occur in the industry around incapacitated pilots and how it might be related to the quality of cabin air.
IshaanIan is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 19th August 2023, 13:20   #24
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by neerajku View Post
The number of deaths due to heart attack has increased in the last two years. We get to know that of celebrities, those dying abruptly, in functions, at work, playing, exercising, young people. If that is fraction of what we see of ordinary people dying others, 50-60+ or 70+ we dont know those people except in friends and family; nearly an epidemic. May be covid has damaged the heart, only research can tell. Or is it the vaccine. Only time will tell.
There could be many factors. The covid lockdown and the resulting inactivity along with food experimentation has caused many incidents of high blood cholesterol also. We cannot point out one cause.
Old 19th August 2023, 15:59   #25
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by condor View Post
Btw, Tucker Carlson's recently was talking about "how Pharma bought so many govts".
Tucker Carlson? Enough said.
nidhikapoor is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 19th August 2023, 21:29   #26
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaguar View Post
Not sure if I am just noticing now but I feel the number of flights at odd hours increased in the domestic sector post covid. International I can understand but who flies from Trivandrum to Pune at 3 in the morning? Similarly, I see TRV-BLR flights around midnight. Wonder if this is impacting the sleep cycles of the crew?
Pune's erratic flight schedule is most likely because of the long standing issue of the Air Force base coexisting with civilian traffic. It just boggles the mind of an ordinary Punekar like me as to how long this situation has been allowed to continue, with no remedial measure in the near/long term. On the one side you have airports and terminals popping up in major cities, even a tad superfluous in my view (Jewar) but Pune is forced to cosy up with Migs and Sukhois and make way for them during day time hours.
Old 20th August 2023, 23:02   #27
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by harikrishnansp View Post
There could be many factors. The covid lockdown and the resulting inactivity along with food experimentation has caused many incidents of high blood cholesterol also. We cannot point out one cause.
Well... the use of a modal was to indicate the possibility and not a certainty!

Last edited by vb-saan : 23rd August 2023 at 09:36. Reason: typo
Old 20th August 2023, 23:17   #28
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by anjan_c2007 View Post
Today a pilot who was supposed to fly the Indigo Airlines flight from Nagpur to Pune, collapsed at 12.00 pm at the boarding gate at the Nagpur Airport, while he was all ready to go. He was rushed to a hospital where he was pronounced "brought dead". The hospital diagnosed it as a cardiac arrest, that he had suffered. The pilot was just 40 years old and had done flights on two sectors between 3.00 am to 7.00 am earlier yesterday from Trivandrum-Pune- Nagpur. He had a 27 hour rest before taking up his duties today the officials said.
I spoke to a pilot about this
  • The gentleman above did have a history of heavy smoking
  • DGCA only performs a through health checkup annually, perhaps they need to make this more frequent.
ajmat is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 21st August 2023, 13:28   #29
Senior - BHPian

Re: Three sudden pilot deaths in the last three days!

Saw some comment that Pilots are some of the fittest by physique and health.

But there is a catch. One might look fit and have a good physique, but that doesn't necessarily mean he/she is "healthy".

Abnormal sleep schedules, stress, rat race, smoking, alocohol and junk food/quick food , all eats up from inside.

The mRNA vaccines might have a role to play too, but that is a very controversial topic, so I better not comment something I have no knowledge on.

But merely judging a certain section of society based on their outward "fitness" is futile, unless the basics are fixed first.
Old 21st August 2023, 17:01   #30
BHPian

Re: Three sudden pilot deaths in the last three days!

The pilot was my batchmate in college. Lots of discussions in our batch WA group about this. And of-course, more discussions about the relationship between pilots, covid and heart-attacks.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks