Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 26th July 2023, 14:12   #1

Where do you "park" your smartphone while driving?

Hi All, a newbie here!

I recently 'upgraded' from a 3rd Gen 2010 Honda City iVTEC to a facelifted 2023 Hyundai Venue SX(O) DCT. One of the things I was over annoyed with my Honda City (among others) was the placement of the cup holders, which was so close to the center console, that it was impossible to keep even a 1 litre bottle there. On the flip side, the placement of the cup holders ensured that the usual place for cup holders, between the gear knob and the hand brake was free, and I bought a seat gap filler that allowed me the space to keep my mobile phone down while driving.

Fast forward to the Venue. I retained the seat gap filler while selling my City and have been using it in my Venue. However, the placement of the cup holders in my Venue ensures that whenever I put the gap filler, it occupies a large chunk of space above the cup holders, thus again making it impossible to keep a water bottle there.

So, my simple question here is, what is your most preferred position to keep your phone while driving? I do assume that a lot of folks use a mobile mount, but with the advent of Android Auto and Apple Car Play, and most recent cars featuring that, I suppose the use for a phone mount is going down (and I for sure don't want to clog either my windscreen or dashboard with one), but what about the rest? And, where do you keep your phone when you are connected to your entertainment system with a wire for AA or CarPlay?
sidsden is offline   (13) Thanks
Old 26th July 2023, 16:59   #2
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Re: Where do you "park" your smartphone while driving?

Cupholders in the BMW 530d, with the charging cable plugged in. I don't like the smartphone clips & holders at all. Period. Interestingly, the BMW's cupholder holds my Samsung Flip perfectly fine, including when I "flip" it for Google Maps display:
Where do you "park" your smartphone while driving?-1.jpg

Compartment at the base of the center fascia in the Thar, with the charging cable plugged in. I have a quirk with phone charging and always plug-in when driving. You'll never hear "my battery was dead" with me:
Where do you "park" your smartphone while driving?-2.jpg
GTO is offline   (20) Thanks
Old 26th July 2023, 17:29   #3
Distinguished - BHPian

Luckily both my cars have a nice place on the dashboard.

In the Etios, I have placed an anti slip mat & keep the phone over it.

In the Duster there is a small storage place on the top of the dashboard. I have kept a small dark color microfibre cloth (dark to avoid reflection) & I keep the phone on it.

In the both the cars the phone is quite secured in these places. They do not fall or move out in case of a harsh manoeuvre.
Plus the charging cable reaches the 12v socket easily incase I need to charge the phone.

Where do you "park" your smartphone while driving?-7beb10751c0f4852a24d9e1116d1e125.jpeg

Where do you "park" your smartphone while driving?-63bfc98ec37345d0949f277f7cdf9bbb.jpeg

Where do you "park" your smartphone while driving?-eb929f01992648aeaa40cc89f9168688.jpeg

Where do you "park" your smartphone while driving?-ce0974287889492ab2ea0b0b6d2f953d.jpeg

Last edited by Samba : 26th July 2023 at 17:37.
Samba is offline   (13) Thanks
Old 26th July 2023, 19:30   #4
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Compartment at the base of the center fascia in the Thar, with the charging cable plugged in.
Attachment 2481612
How did you manage to get the second USB port in the Thar? Mahindra had removed the second port circa 2021 end and my 2022 Mar Thar doesn't has just a single USB port.
Jaguar is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 26th July 2023, 20:40   #5
Senior - BHPian

There is never really a perfect place. Ive always fumbled with this. Usually i just keep it on my lap, thats always a preferred location so its easy to pick up whilst at a signal or slow moving traffic.
For my current daily drive its either the lap or just above the ac vents on the ledge that houses the screen.
Attached Thumbnails
Where do you "park" your smartphone while driving?-whatsapp-image-20230726-8.34.25-pm.jpeg  

danlalan is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 26th July 2023, 20:47   #6
BHPian

I have wireless android auto, so for most city drives the phone is just in my pant pocket.

On longer solo drives or if I need to charge I put it in the cup holder. If not solo I just give it to my wife or kid to control music or play games.
anandhsub is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 26th July 2023, 22:07   #7
BHPian

Never an issue on a Kia Sonet; you can easily keep three phones. There's a wireless charger, a similar space below it, and another space between the cupholders.

Photos from the Team-BHP official review,

Where do you "park" your smartphone while driving?-phonestorage-large.jpeg
robincsamuel is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 27th July 2023, 08:51   #8
Senior - BHPian

I've a habit of handing over the cellphone to wife or children to handle the call when I drive or ride. I usually don't attend any calls when I drive & ride unless it's a real emergency. And these days I'm giving up pairing the phone with the car as well.

Last edited by libranof1987 : 27th July 2023 at 10:50. Reason: As requested
aargee is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 27th July 2023, 09:26   #9
Distinguished - BHPian

In both my cars, I like the phone to be neatly stowed and secured, and always connected to the charging cable. I do not fiddle with the phone at all while driving.

In my BMW 320d, I found a place near the right side AC vent where I mounted a magnetic phone holder, and that location is working perfect for me. Without fiddling with the phone there, I just switch on the maps and can easily see the maps on my right hand side (and the main iDrive screen and the BMW maps on my left hand side). I like to keep both the screens and both versions of maps in my field of view, and this arrangement easily offers that convenience.

The phone location that works perfect for me in my 320d:
Where do you "park" your smartphone while driving?-dsc047792.jpg

A close-up of the phone mounted there:
Where do you "park" your smartphone while driving?-dsc04791.jpg

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Compartment at the base of the center fascia in the Thar, with the charging cable plugged in. I have a quirk with phone charging and always plug-in when driving. You'll never hear "my battery was dead" with me:
Exactly same in my Thar. Thar has Android Auto (which my BMW lacks), and the phone stored in that compartment, connected to charging cable, and Android Auto running on the headunit of Thar works perfectly for me. No need to touch to phone at all in Thar.

I also have an OCD for keeping my phone charged and my phone is always connected to charging cable in both my cars.

Last edited by Dr.AD : 27th July 2023 at 09:27.
Dr.AD is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 27th July 2023, 10:25   #10
BHPian

Oh my phone is always my passenger queen! It is always on the left front passenger seat with ventilated seat “on” and atleast 1 AC vent angled towards it. I always prefer apple carplay for all my phone stuff, calls, youtube music, navigation etc. but the Creta only allows wired connection which combined with Delhi heat and overall glass-house effect is a sure-shot battery killer for a mobile phone.

Hence the smooth leather seats, proper ventilation and lots of kisses for a very important part of my life!
Vkap257 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th July 2023, 10:45   #11

After a lot research, online orders and returns, I think I found a way to park my phone in the car. I need my phone in a convenient location to operate (not while driving though). I Prefer not to stick anything either to dash board or to the back of the phone. I don't like tucking it under the storage below the rest. This mount hugs the phone tightly from both ends and also holds on to the rear view mirror very firmly with those strong claws.

Where do you "park" your smartphone while driving?-img_1937.jpg

Last edited by Sheel : 27th July 2023 at 11:01. Reason: Placement of image. Thanks.
facelyft is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 27th July 2023, 10:53   #12
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by robincsamuel View Post
Never an issue on a Kia Sonet; you can easily keep three phones.
I have wireless charger support in phone and Car. Whenever, phone needs charging, I put it on wireless charger, otherwise, right below the charger, on the phone slot where it sits silently, or playing music via bluetooth. Pics attached in above quoted post!!

Last edited by DetectiveMiles : 27th July 2023 at 10:55.
Old 27th July 2023, 11:14   #13

Perfect location in my EcoSport 2018 which can hold two phones. Where do you "park" your smartphone while driving?-2017fordecosport52.jpg

Where do you "park" your smartphone while driving?-2017fordecosport51.jpg

Co-Passenger can keep it on the LH side slot. Even this can hold two mobiles.Where do you "park" your smartphone while driving?-2017fordecosport58.jpg

Pics courtesy: Tbhp official review 2018 Ford Ecosport Facelift.
Old 27th July 2023, 11:20   #14
BHPian

Nice thread and a very important safety aspect as well. Not only should phones be stowed away to avoid any sort of distractions, but also stowed in a manner that it doesn’t become a projectile in an unfortunate situation.

I like to minimise wire clutter and hence I resort to using short 0.5m cables or spiral ones.

In my Polo, there is a shortage receptacle behind the cup holders where both our phones (my wife’s and mine) can be comfortably accommodated such that it stays in place and be charged as well. The cup holders are almost always kept free for storing, well, Cups.

Where do you "park" your smartphone while driving?-img_2487.jpeg

Where do you "park" your smartphone while driving?-img_2486.jpeg

I use a Type-C to Lightning adapter for when we’re using ACP.

Where do you "park" your smartphone while driving?-20230727_102359_original.jpeg

Also, on occasions either of us need quick charging, I have a fast charged with PD & 0.5m cable(s) - still keeping the phones stowed away and not cluttering my Center console.

Where do you "park" your smartphone while driving?-20230727_102638_original.jpeg

In the Scorpio-N, there’s a place at the bottom of the Center console designated to wirelessly charge and keep your phones. Its height is enough to accommodate both our phones one on top of another.

Since it supports wireless AA/CP, I don’t need to use the charging cables all the time, but I still have two short cables (USB-C & Lightning connector) for simultaneously charging both our devices while keeping the Center console uncluttered.

Where do you "park" your smartphone while driving?-img_2491.jpeg

Where do you "park" your smartphone while driving?-img_2495.jpeg
nerd1200 is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 27th July 2023, 12:15   #15
BHPian

I use this holder for the Nissan Sunny, which, interestingly, slots into the CD drive and keeps the phone positioned in front of the AC vents so it is cooled even on hot days.

Where do you "park" your smartphone while driving?-img20230727120708.jpg

Where do you "park" your smartphone while driving?-img20230727120726.jpg

As for the Honda WRV, I use the cup holder right beside the steering wheel. This again is in front of an AC vent, so the phone stays cool.

Where do you "park" your smartphone while driving?-img20230727120824.jpg

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks