Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 12th June 2024, 13:15   #151
Senior - BHPian

Re: The sudden onslaught of online spam and scams in India

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaur View Post
i felt a bit suspicious and on checking the link i felt its fake but appears very close to the official india post website
Man, my paranoid self would be scared to even click that .xyz link God knows what all nasty stuff can happen just by even visiting such sites :( Again, my paranoid self would advise you to do a virus scan of the phone.
deathwalkr is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 12th June 2024, 13:19   #152
BHPian

I am getting calls almost every day saying all my numbers are going to be blocked within 2 hours. Yesterday I got a call informing a problem with a parcel that needs to be addressed urgently. I have been ignoring these calls always but it is getting too frustrating now. On top of that there are calls from supermarkets to tell about offers, calls from credit card people offering EMIs & loans, travel websites giving free holidays etc. The list is endless
It is sad that all we can do is block these numbers and move on. Really wish there was an option to report these numbers and prevent them from spamming less informed people.
Old 12th June 2024, 13:33   #153
BHPian

Quote:
Smart thing was that the message had no mention of any payment to be made, it was only when you access the webpage update address details a request of 25rs fee showed up on the 2nd page.
They want to get to your credit/debit card credentials. 25 rs is just a sham.
Once successful, the card will be wiped off for the maximum amount possible.
Fuldagap is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 12th June 2024, 13:45   #154
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuldagap View Post
They want to get to your credit/debit card credentials. 25 rs is just a sham.
Once successful, the card will be wiped off for the maximum amount possible.
yes, got the card blocked immediately.
Good thing that this card was a standalone credit card not linked to any bank account.

Another thing i observed was that generally when you get an otp for validating the transaction the SMS from the bank also mentions the name of the vendor that is being paid, in this case it didn't mention anything, it just said "OTP for your online transaction of rs25..."

This system has definitely been compromised at multiple levels....

Last edited by Gaur : 12th June 2024 at 13:47.
Gaur is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 12th June 2024, 13:49   #155
BHPian

Quote:
yes, got the card blocked immediately.
Good thing that this card was a standalone credit card not linked to any bank account.

Another thing i observed was that generally when you get an otp for validating the transaction the SMS from the bank also mentions the name of the vendor that is being paid, in this case it didn't mention anything, it just sait "OTP for your online transaction..."

This system has definitely been compromised at multiple levels....
2 years back a friend had booked an Innova for 7 days in Mumbai via online transaction. It was on a shabby looking website. After 10 mins of the transaction, his credit card was emptied to the max running into several lakhs of rupees.

Took him 2 months to get his money back through RBI and local cyber police complaints.

Scammers are smart people and cannot be taken as losers who try only unaware, uneducated people.
Old 25th July 2024, 10:13   #156
Senior - BHPian

When you scam the system!

https://www.onmanorama.com/news/kera...retailers.html

Using ICICI app's schedule transaction later option without even having money in the bank. Funny thing is that it apparently shows a transaction successful message on screen!
Old 26th July 2024, 18:48   #157
BHPian

I'm facing a strange situation. I'm getting call from my own number. First time when I got call, got cusiours and answered, it turned out to be Aditya Birla Finance, I just disconnected without talking further. Now I'm getting call twice from my own number since two days. I haven't answered. Went to AirTel store and they provided replacement sim card and mentioned it should stop. If still it doesn't stop asked to approach local police. I have been diligently reporting marketing calls via DND app, with this spoofing, it is not possible.
Online, I wasn't able to find much about how to stop spoofing.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks