Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 27th April 2023, 19:39   #1
BANNED

Reading glasses and progressive lenses

Request to Mods: Please move the thread if posted at improper forum. This place was best I could understand, may accommodate this.

So, frustrated with having to maintain set of glasses for both far and near sight correction at Home and Office and that I cannot use off the shelve ‘readymade’ reading glasses due to varying cylindrical power in both eyes. I must use made to order reading glasses which I keep regularly keep losing at some point or another at various places I visit. Sometimes I am able recover the ‘lost’ piece but mostly I head out to nearest optho shop and get a new one made on order.

My forgetfulness causes unreasonable expense and having multiple made to order glasses stashed at home, office, car or kept as spare, only compounds the financials. To consolidate my losses, I went out and got the ‘progressive’ lenses made. It sounded great and I was okay that it might take me couple of weeks to adjust to new lenses. But it was not to be and despite best efforts I became aware that at the price point of nearly 10 grand, they won’t cut it for me for simple reason that I opted for 'cheapie’' at 10 grand. Even after 1 month I struggle with the German precision it requires to find the sweet spot and bobbing my whole face up -down, left to right.

To say in very clear terms, the more costly ones you order the better chances you have at adopting. They give all the gibberish about more tech, effort and precision going into the higher end lenses vs cheaper once hence better results. It beats me hands down to understand that what can really drive the price so insane when all it requires is adjustment of few knobs at the polishing machine or whatever they work on and turn out a product with ‘better’ proportions suitable for wearer? Is it really as complex a thing that drive price point northward?
I am hoping there is someone clued into the industry and school us about the real picture behind high end high price vs cheap and low end lanes. For what it is worth, my long time optician who is generally wry of suggesting me expensive solutions is advising that the kind of comfort I am tyring to have from a progressive lenses ‘MAY’ be had from something that starts at 25K price point and above.

So why it is so hard to machine a better lens from same material as the picture suggests?

PS: I was happy when those hang-in-neck silicon frames were available and cheap as chips but with ali express out of equation I can’t bring myself to spend Rs 1400 for what is essentially a silicon strap locally available. The silicon bend invariably disintegrates within 6 months of daily wear.
Attached Thumbnails
Reading glasses and progressive lenses-plses.png  

Last edited by GTO : 28th April 2023 at 07:11. Reason: Spacing
HereticHermit is offline   (13) Thanks
Old 28th April 2023, 08:45   #2

Re: Reading glasses and progressive lenses

Your post made me more wary. I ordered my progressive 2 days back. It would be my first. My optician also repeatedly asked me to have lots of patience as getting used to progressive takes time and effort.
rahi is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 28th April 2023, 09:20   #3
Senior - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (4)

I managed beautifully until age 51 without glasses. Until a couple years ago when I last checked, I was able to read the small print at the back of the credit card, for example, without the use of glasses.
Both my parents always had glasses.
My younger sibling got glasses some 7-8 years ago.
I was really blessed, because Ive always had excellent eyesight. Possibly because Bugs Bunny was my childhood hero and I ate lots of carrots like he did.
And then suddenly one day early last year just as I was hitting 51, I was no longer able to read normally. Required solid light to fall on the matter being read and small print became a headache.
So I checked and was asked to wear reading glasses of about 0.50 power or so.
Now the eyes have got used to these. And I actually find them superb. I got some inexpensive lightweight frames from LensKart and they have done a very good job for me.

Last edited by shankar.balan : 28th April 2023 at 09:46.
shankar.balan is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 28th April 2023, 09:23   #4
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by HereticHermit View Post
To say in very clear terms, the more costly ones you order the better chances you have at adopting. They give all the gibberish about more tech, effort and precision going into the higher end lenses vs cheaper once hence better results. It beats me hands down to understand that what can really drive the price so insane when all it requires is adjustment of few knobs at the polishing machine or whatever they work on and turn out a product with ‘better’ proportions suitable for wearer? Is it really as complex a thing that drive price point northward?
I am hoping there is someone clued into the industry and school us about the real picture behind high end high price vs cheap and low end lanes. For what it is worth, my long time optician who is generally wry of suggesting me expensive solutions is advising that the kind of comfort I am tyring to have from a progressive lenses ‘MAY’ be had from something that starts at 25K price point and above. .
I think you got your priorities wrong. Why worry about the cost/margin for the manufacturer. You should worry about getting the most comfortable pair of glasses that you can afford!

Would it make you feel better and buy these expensive lenses if it turned out they are selling them at a loss?

Jeroen
Jeroen is offline   (13) Thanks
Old 28th April 2023, 10:41   #5
BHPian

I have been using progressive lenses in my spectacles since last 8 years. But you have to understand one thing it will take you about a 3 to 4 days to adjust if you are keen and very positive that the progressive lenses will work for you. If you feel that it is as good as climbing the Everest than it won't work.
Also remember that whenever you get progressive lenses made for you spectacles then always opt for Essilor (Varilux) as it is the pioneer company which made progressive lenses. [https://www.essilorindia.com/sites/d...s%20Techno.mp4]
I am using varilux comfort max with transitions gen8 progressive lenses and have no issues even in night driving.
Price wise they might be a little expensive but then it is the question of your vision so to compromise or not is your call.
ACMerchant is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 28th April 2023, 11:37   #6
BHPian

I moved to progressives 3 years ago and believe me, the switch was agonizing. I went for very expensive Nikon lenses that cost me ~25k for lens alone. Yet I never got comfortable with it. You may never will but with time you will learn how to "use" it. The glass will do its bit but you too would have to do your bit. Progressives are made with the assumption that when you look away you will be looking through the upper part of the lens and when you are looking near objects (reading) you will be looking through the bottom. This assumption is true if you are holding a newspaper in your hand, but is not true for all use cases. When you are looking at your phone screen the above theory goes for a toss. Truth is, for ever distance there is a sweet spot in your glass through which you would be able to see clearly. What you have to do is adjust your head to align that spot with the object you are trying to view. You would be able to do that with practice and that will take time.

I recently changed to a slightly cheaper brand (Rodenstock - 19k) and find them slightly better than the more expensive Nikon - the Nikon came with heavy color fringing at the bottom part.
dragonfire is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 28th April 2023, 11:54   #7
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by HereticHermit View Post
To consolidate my losses, I went out and got the ‘progressive’ lenses made. It sounded great and I was okay that it might take me couple of weeks to adjust to new lenses. But it was not to be and despite best efforts I became aware that at the price point of nearly 10 grand, they won’t cut it for me for simple reason that I opted for 'cheapie’' at 10 grand. Even after 1 month I struggle with the German precision it requires to find the sweet spot and bobbing my whole face up -down, left to right.
See, my mother faced similar issue when she moved to progressive lens from Essilor/Crizal. It was around a decade ago. Even after a month she couldn't get adjusted to the lens and was not seeing clearly. Issue was with the machining of the lens. If a person has near sight plus far sight and also has cylindrical power, machining the lens will be a very precise activity. Finally, the company accepted to provide a replacement set of lens which turned out to be machined much better and my mother was able to get adjusted to it in a week.

See if you can push with your optician for replacement
sagarpadaki is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 28th April 2023, 12:26   #8
BHPian

I started using progressives a couple years ago. I have had very high negative power since long. I was willing to spend and wanted the highest index i.e, thinnest lens possible. After shopping around, I found that only Titan Eye-Plus (BTM Layout, Bangalore) was offering a 1.74 index lens for my power. The pair of lens cost me around 30K. Frame cost was around 6K.

Luckily for me, I had adjustment issues that lasted only a couple of days and I have been very happy with my purchase. Only very minor issue is that the lens gets dirty very quickly compared to my earlier glasses and I have to keep cleaning it.
DigitalOne is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 28th April 2023, 13:16   #9
Senior - BHPian

I got myself a cheap pair of progressives last year from specmakers, no issues adjusting and can read the smaller text clearly. The reason I did not go for a more expensive one, is that the power will increase in due course, so is it worth spending 20k+ each time the power increases?
dass is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 28th April 2023, 13:48   #10
BHPian

I could never adjust to progressive even after many months. Since my frames themselves were small, the part used for far sight was a small part on top and I had to lower the frame. I dont have too much of a problem for short sight and shouldn't have fallen for doctor's recommendation to use progressives.

I got these moved to a another frame and got newer glasses only to be used for far sight. Many of my friends have also moved away from progressives.
PreludeSH is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th April 2023, 14:06   #11
BHPian

Here are my 2 bits. I tried all permutations and combinations and finally this works for me -
1) I go in for the most experienced / well-trained optical shop who does a lot of progressives customers daily. That means choosing the grander, more expensive looking shops in relatively more prosperous areas of your town. In Mumbai Gangar at Chembur and now in Chennai Lawrence & Mayo at Velachery do a good job.

2) For lenses, I select most expensive minus one of the most common selling brand which is Crisal. Most common selling brand means tried and tested without expensive Unobtainium coatings that add little value. Also, the lens makers have maximum experience of Indian eyes. Most expensive minus one because it gives a decently wide field of view and transition between far, medium and near is more gradual.

3) I change my lenses once in two years and frames once in 4 years. I go super cheapo on frames. My current frame was bought off a Vietnamese street cart and cost less than Rs. 500. The quality of the coffee matters not the cup - overspend on lenses and cheap-out on the frame.

4) I don't lose my glasses since I have been wearing glasses since the age of 5. However, consider a super simple solution like a neck chain / cord should help.
Ferruccio is offline   (13) Thanks
Old 28th April 2023, 14:35   #12
BHPian

Here is how I manage. This is a whacky solution so please use it as you see fit. I've five sets of glasses!. Yes that's right and what is even more interesting, I find this cheaper than plonking out 20-25K on those expensive progressive lenses.

So here is my logic:

1. The first one is for reading purpose while I'm traveling. This is the slim glass that come cheap for about 200-500 rupees.
2. The second is also for reading purpose but stays at home. This is a full frame glass, for relaxed reading. I've done a blue light coating for this so that when I read from mobile phones, tablets or laptops, it is easy on the eye. This works out to again around 1-2K rupees.
3. The third is for intermediate reading/working. This is when I work on a large monitor and have to read and work on items that are around a foot to two feet away. This also works to around 1-2K rupees.
4. A distance vision glass, for driving/walking/TV etc. This again comes to around 2K rupees
5. A low end progressive for those times when I cannot carry two sets of glasses with me. This again costs around 5-6K

Now none of my glasses have metal frames, and I prefer plastic body. And I don't give a damn about brands either.

I'd been frustrated with the exorbitant cost of progressive lenses. The last progressive, a branded one that I had costed me 25K rupees.

My new approach has served me well. Recently I got my distance vision done with Crizal DriveSafe and this increased the cost. But, if I'd got the same Drive safe with progressives then it sure would have cost me a much more.

My recommendation is buy glasses for each value set in the prescription, Near, intermediate and distance. And add a low end progressive to that mix. This will be much cheaper and more comfortable. And provides much more flexibility as well. For example, if the distance power has changed, only that needs to be changed.

The flip side though I need to carry two glasses always. And if I need to stay at a place for longer periods then I need to carry all my glasses with me. To me this is worth it, as it gives me perfection in all tasks that I need to do.

I keep my full-size reading glasses near my bed, and my intermediate on my computer table. Makes my life much easier with glasses.

Regards,
lsjey
lsjey is offline   (23) Thanks
Old 28th April 2023, 14:38   #13
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by lsjey View Post
...I've five sets of glasses!. ..
That is both brilliant and insane. I'm going to follow in your footsteps.
I too am wary of expensive glasses because in the last 3 decades or so I've managed to break most of my spectacles by sitting on them.

Last edited by Roy.S : 28th April 2023 at 14:42.
Roy.S is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th April 2023, 14:42   #14
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by shankar.balan View Post
And then suddenly one day early last year just as I was hitting 51, I was no longer able to read normally. Required solid light to fall on the matter being read and small print became a headache.
Almost the same thing happened with me but at the age of 45.

In fact I did not even realize how it was deteriorating till my wife took me along to vision express. They gave me these glasses with power of 1 and cost of around 400.

Changed my life. I now always keep them along with me.

I can still manage to read small prints but these specs make my life very comfortable.
bblost is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 28th April 2023, 14:51   #15
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bblost View Post
Changed my life.
Your 'changed my "wife"' typo really had me in knots before you corrected it.

Cheers...
dkaile is offline   (9) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks