Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 16th December 2023, 19:18   #61
BHPian

Re: Reading glasses and progressive lenses

Quote:
Originally Posted by beejay View Post
As you might be aware, it is because of the progression of the 3 focals, distance, intermediate and near. I hope the optician had measured your PD and other parameters required for progressive lenes.

The easiest way to get used is to point the tip of your nose towards what you want to view.
Fex: Pointing your nose to the mobile, gives you the corridor for near, to the computer screen for intermediate and towards the windscreen for distance.

Please note, even if the lenses are not centred right, you would get accustomed to the corridors at different power requirement, which might not be a good thing.
Thank you. This is helpful. When I point my nose, I don't see any issues in using the glasses. I have slight struggle while climbing stairs or on uneven surfaces and some discomfort while watching TV. Using laptop / screen is far better than before.

When I tilt my head left to right and vice versa while on a reading plane (e.g book or screen), I can feel distortion i.e. unevenness. Is that normal?

I had consulted an eye doctor and her team took measurement manually and using a device for PD. No other parameters were measured!

How do I know if this is centered right? Are there other checks I can perform?

Last edited by bhushan08 : 16th December 2023 at 19:19. Reason: Added some more information
Old 18th December 2023, 12:13   #62
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhushan08 View Post
I have slight struggle while climbing stairs or on uneven surfaces and some discomfort while watching TV.
When you are climbing the stairs and watching TV, Yes, it can be a challenge as your eyes are mostly using two corridors, distance and intermediate or even maybe near. Depending on the size and shape of the frame too. Getting accustomed is the only solution here, else you would need to custom make the frame too. It is now possible with 3D printing.

When I tilt my head left to right and vice versa while on a reading plane (e.g book or screen), I can feel distortion i.e. unevenness. Is that normal?
Well, I would say its normal, as the additional powers during lens surfacing (manufacturing) are usually pushed to the nasal and peripheral areas. If your frame is not custom made, the only way to solve this is to move your head and not your eyes alone.

I had consulted an eye doctor and her team took measurement manually and using a device for PD. No other parameters were measured!
PD is the cardinal value for any lenses, not just progressives. The average pupillary distance for Indians would be around 62mm to 65mm. This is vague and always best to measure the exact PD. Manual also works.

The PD for distance and near will be different. As when you are looking at distance your eyes are parallel and when your are reading short, your eyes are converging.

Apart from PD, the below measurements are going to give you the most optimum vision, if measured right and manufactured as per the parameters.
Kindly view the attachment.

How do I know if this is centered right? Are there other checks I can perform?
Get it checked on an auto lensometer, it will not show the exact corridors however. Best is to see if your vision needs are met without the need for too much head tilt. As I said before, eventually you will get used to it. Good or bad?
Attached Files
File Type: pdf 2PD_27-July-2023.pdf (1.67 MB, 64 views)
beejay is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th December 2023, 12:08   #63
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by OffRoadFun View Post

I ordered progressive lens online (lenskart), after watching a few videos which mentioned try to keep lens vertically at least 28mm and don't choose a sleek frame to improve chances of adjusting faster.
How does Lenskart determine the PD and other necessary parameters for a progressive specs especially when one orders it online?
diablo29 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th December 2023, 12:56   #64
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by diablo29 View Post
How does Lenskart determine the PD and other necessary parameters for a progressive specs especially when one orders it online?
They ask the buyer to click a photo with a credit card on his forehead, and calculate it based on that photo.
ani_meher is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 19th December 2023, 13:08   #65
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by diablo29 View Post
Based on photo. It worked well for me.
OffRoadFun is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th December 2023, 18:53   #66
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by beejay View Post
Get it checked on an auto lensometer, it will not show the exact corridors however. Best is to see if your vision needs are met without the need for too much head tilt. As I said before, eventually you will get used to it. Good or bad?
It has been nearly two weeks with the new progressive lenses. The biggest issue I am facing is working on a big screen. The distortion in the reading area is too much and I struggle to find the right 'intermediate' viewing zone. Similarly, watching TV is a pain.

Reading, small screen, normal vision activities are all far better.

and my optician does not have the measurements. No surprises here. He went only by PD. It is impossible to know if this is expected behaviour. Eyes will kind of get used to anything
Old 21st January 2024, 13:49   #67
BHPian

Anyone here with experience of 'LensCart' progressive lens? Are they good for daily use on computer/mobile screens? The price is competitive compared to 'Titan Eye' and other major brands.

I had been using 'Essilor' branded lens for quite a while now. They are quite expensive and wanted to try some home grown brands.

Please advise.
Old 29th January 2024, 12:33   #68
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMaruru View Post
Anyone here with experience of 'LensCart' progressive lens? Are they good for daily use on computer/mobile screens? The price is competitive compared to 'Titan Eye' and other major brands.

I had been using 'Essilor' branded lens for quite a while now. They are quite expensive and wanted to try some home grown brands.

Please advise.
I switched to LensCart for my progressives late year in March (have been using progressive for the last more than 20 year), mainly because of high price of Essilor. They are doing fine and I would recommend them.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks