Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 28th April 2023, 15:07   #16
Team-BHP Support

Re: Reading glasses and progressive lenses

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkaile View Post
Your 'changed my "wife"' typo really had me in knots before you corrected it.

Cheers...
I wrote the post, submitted it, put on my glasses, proof read it, edited it.

All the more reason why we should definitely get our eyes tested as soon as possible.

This can have serious unintended consequences.
bblost is offline   (23) Thanks
Old 28th April 2023, 18:24   #17
BHPian

I always had negative power (myopia) since high school; my power is -2.5, so I could manage without reading glasses for quite some time because if I remove my glasses, it's like immediately putting on a +2.5 reading glasses. So it's the inverse of reading glasses; use glasses only for distance vision - for reading, remove glasses.

Worked quite well till about a year back when I realized that I couldn't manage intermediate vision properly (like looking at a computer monitor) with or without my glasses. I got a pair of cheap progressive glasses from lenskart but realized that I was not comfortable with the glasses. Even after giving myself some time to adjust to the glasses, I wasn't very comfortable.

I did some research by myself and got 3 sets made:

1) Regular distance vision glass for driving (-2.5 power). Not very expensive. Just antiglare blu-cut lenses. This is always in my car and I use it only while driving.

2) Progressive lens glasses (-2.5 with +1.5 additional power for reading). I got another set made with a little more expensive lens (cost about 10K or so, I dont remember the brand) with a taller frame so that I have more area of vision. This is for regular daily use.

3) Intermediate vision glasses (-1.5 power) for computer use. This one I calculated on my own and got it made. This is exclusively for long term computer use.

But after using the new progressive glasses over a period of time I find that I am reaching out less and less for the distance vision and intermediate vision glasses. So much so that now I have stopped using the other glasses altogether and I'm using only my progressives.

The key learnings for me are as below.

1. Get a pair of decent progressive glasses. I dont know how much better a 25K lens would be than the 10K ones I got myself. But 10K lens seems fine for me. Very cheap ones aren't good. And make sure that it if fitted at a good place by experienced people. Marking the pupil position correctly is critical.

2. Make sure that the frame is not too short (in terms of lens height). It should be tall enough so that you have enough distance to switch between the different vision areas.

3. Give yourself time to adjust to the glasses. Importantly dont keep switching back and forth between the different glasses like I did (or switch between using progressives vs not using glasses if you dont need regular vision glasses). The less you switch, the more your eyes and brain will learn the new way of looking (move your head around to point your nose where your are looking, distance vision at the top, near vision at the bottom etc). If you switch, your brain goes back to the good old days where you could keep your head still and move your eyeballs to see.

At the end of the day, progressive are still a serious compromise. Just that our brain is so good that it can adjust to this severely compromised setup to enable a good vision for us.
ar@v1nd is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 28th April 2023, 18:38   #18
BHPian

Some suggestions from my side. I am 55 and have been using progressive for 8-9 years. 55 means my reading number is 2.5 and some of my experience may be because of that.

I find progressives comfortable and have adjusted well. And while well intentioned, I find the suggestions of keeping multiple glasses not very convenient based on personal experience.

If I am wearing my long distance (only) glasses while driving, I find it difficult to read the instrument cluster as well as the phone (for using google maps or sending a message or selecting a song). In short, even while driving I find progressives more convenient but it also depends upon how much reading number you have.

I think you should try to put in more effort to adjust to the progressive glasses you have made. If required, you can have the machining of the lenses checked by going to some other outlet or to an eye doctor. If they have not been properly made then your seller is bound to give you a new one with proper machining.

On the costly vs relatively cheaper progressive glasses, it is a question of restricted field of view v expanded field. I believe that even with smaller zone you will get adjusted as you spend more time with it. If you still find it inconvenient after prolonged use, I will recommend going for the expensive ones that will be more convenient over multiple glasses.

On the issue about misplacing or loosing your glasses, why don't you use a lanyard and hang it on your neck, instead of silicon contraption.
Quatro is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 30th April 2023, 10:09   #19
BHPian

I had never adjusted to progressive lens even after 4 years and 18k/25k. The problem I faced was that there was only a specific band where the vision was ok. There was also no clarity in peripheral vision. I had to compromise clarity in both short and long sightedness.

So I just changed back to glasses only for short sight so that I can see things clearly for the majority of the part and use reading glasses for the minor part.
Old 30th April 2023, 10:51   #20
BHPian

I have similarly struggled making the transition to progressives. A bit of back story first...

Throughout school and later I always had better than normal vision or 6/4 vision. I could even read the last two lines in the reading chart.

Age catches up with all of us and around my 47th birthday (55 now), years of peering at a computer screen ensured I got my first "Reading glasses". Like all middle aged guys trying desperately not to look old I used them only while working on the computer. Blissfully deluding myself that those around me would think of them as UV glasses!!!

It got bad when at malls and restaurants I couldn't read the price tags and bills. So I visited my optician and he conned me into buying a really expensive pair of progressives mounted on an even more absurdly expensive frame. I could never adjust to this totally dud purchase. I put it away and continued with my reading glasses.

This went on till I broke my glasses. I was now in Chennai and visited the Lawrence & Mayo store in T.Nagar. After the eye test I explained my predicament. They suggested I go in for a really cheap pair of progressives. A total outlay of Rs. 5300 (frame + lens) was all it cost. The optometrist explained it takes a little getting used to. However once you adjust there's no looking back.

I was sceptical and then proven wrong. For the first time I was really comfortable wearing glasses and wore them all day long. After a couple of months went back to the store and splurged on a pair of really good progressive spectacles.

Now I have one for regular use and another for occassional use. So moral of the story ignore the counter sales guys at the opticians and go for a cheap pair and then work your way up.
laser2707 is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 30th April 2023, 12:28   #21
BHPian

I m about to be 44 and last couple months I realised that I m having some trouble reading on phone or news paper at a distance where I normally hold them, but had to move a bit away to get good focus. So, went to centre of sight for a checkup.

I was given prescription for cylinder of L.25 and R.5 for distance and -1.25 for reading on both eyes.

Doctor there told me that reading power is age related and almost like greying hair where not much could be done to avoid and also this power will progress almost every couple years, and will reach to -2.5 at around 50 and mostly it stops there. Recommended me not to spend too much on lenses at this stage as power will change again in a year or two.

Couple days later, I tested at lenskart and their testing result was L0 and R 0.5 (spherical)and -1(reading for both eyes).
Now, when I show them prescription from CFS, they told me that this is what auto refractor also showing but manual verification was giving different result.

In decided to go with lenskart and purchased progressive for 11K. Even after 8 days of usage I couldn't adjust to progressive. It was ok for near reading but was not comfortable for distance. I went back to store but they told me to continue using as it takes time to get adjusted to progressive. Now even after 10 more days, I have kind of give up on progressive, as it was causing more discomfort.

So this time I went to a local optician nearby, and just ask him to verify my distance vision( without telling him CFS or lenskart results).His result was left .25 (cylinder) and right spherical (.75) I didn't go for near vision testing this time. So, he made me a Rs800 glasses for distance vision, as I was not willing to spend any big amount without first validating what is my correct power.

As of now almost a week, I m using these distance glasses and m not facing any discomfort. Lenskart progressives only for reading purposes.
Plan to use this way for couple weeks more, if this prescription works fine, will see if lenskart will replace the progressive with correct power.
Gummybear is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 30th April 2023, 12:58   #22
BHPian

Few years back I faced similar issue of adapting progressive lens as I have some eye related medical issues. I visited many opticians & in the process changed so many lenses. Of course had to shell out a lot every time.
Finally I visited Siddharth Vision, C block market, Vasant Vihar who advised me to get the proper measurements done by technician from Carl Zess itself. In case the lenses doesn’t suit to your eye, then the company will make another set without charging extra. So technician from Zess came to this store & took measurements. Yes, it didn’t work out first time so again they took measurements & now I am using them since last many years.
Since your location shows Delhi so I shared you the details of this optician. In case your problem doesn’t get resolved & you plan to visit this store then meet Mr Shiv & discuss with him. You can take my name. However possibly Zess will send their technician only for some of their selected lens models.
(I have no personal interest in suggesting this store)
Rahul Lal is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 30th April 2023, 13:07   #23
BHPian

Here is something I wish my father knew before he took delivery of wrongly made progressive glasses and used it for nearly 5 years, enduring headaches and discomfort. Not about pros and cons of progressives but a word of caution to ensure you do not go through the same pain.
So dad drops his glasses, chips the edge. I drive him to the store that made him that pair. Was the closest option and a reputed chain - GKB.
Now the interesting part.
Man at the counter asks where I got these glasses done. I pretended I do not know - "don't remember, was 5 years ago".
The optician goes on to say that these glasses were faulty. How? He fixed the specs on a measuring device. It measures the power at individual pints on the glass. So, we can see where the "distant vision power" is and where the "reading power is". And clearly showed me that the reading power was to one edge and not in line with the centre of the eye as it should be. Could result is eye strain and constant headaches. (Like dad sometimes did mention.)
Anyway, that was that.
Now the dilemma do I go with the same shop? I decided we will.
But when I got delivery of the new specs, I got him to check in front of me with his measuring device, and confirmed that things are ok this time.
Long story short. Please get the optician to measure in front of you if the "vision powers" needed are in the right place on the glasses.
CLIX is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 30th April 2023, 13:09   #24
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ar@v1nd View Post
Marking the pupil position correctly is critical.

2. Make sure that the frame is not too short (in terms of lens height). It should be tall enough so that you have enough distance to switch between the different vision areas.

At the end of the day, progressive are still a serious compromise. Just that our brain is so good that it can adjust to this severely compromised setup to enable a good vision for us.
Being an Eye surgeon (Ophthalmologist), my recommendation are the above points. These are the most crucial in proper functioning of Progressive lenses. Most common reason for delayed adjustment is wrong marking on the pupillary position. Good idea to get marking done by an experienced optometrist/ophthalmologist.
idoctor is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 30th April 2023, 14:14   #25
BHPian

This thread is right in time for me.

A have been having slight difficulty in reading small fonts on phone and doctor a few years back asked me to continue as long as I can without reading glasses and then go for reading glasses once it becomes difficult to read.

That time has come now. I am planning to visit eye doctor/optician in a week or so and thankfully my insurance covers glasses with generous coverage (I believe till Rs 40k).

Since the coverage is generous, I am thinking of going for bit "expensive (and hopefully better)" ones. I have -2.5, -1.75 Spherical and -1.75 Cyl if I remember correctly.

Any thoughts? Is a visit to optician only sufficient?
TIA
OffRoadFun is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th April 2023, 14:17   #26
BHPian

As an Ophthalmologist wearing progressives, perhaps may I suggest something?Branded progressive lenses without any fancy coatings but with a wider area will be accepted by most people.Important is the pupillary marking,how your frame sits on your nasal bridge and definitely lab cut lenses have more precise fitting,proper tilt with warranty also. Sometimes the frames are also to blame as customers either go for the branded expensive brands or the best looking ones, without considering frame size etc.
Also the optician should instruct the customer how to correctly wear the glasses.
Once one of my longterm patient brought in a readymade reading glass frame with progressive lenses fitted and grumbling about poor vision and headache...home testing and app-ordered progressive glasses usually have the most issues.
Thank you
eyedocgb is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 30th April 2023, 14:33   #27
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by OffRoadFun View Post

That time has come now. I am planning to visit eye doctor/optician in a week or so and thankfully my insurance covers glasses with generous coverage (I believe till Rs 40k).

TIA
This is really interesting. Would like to know more about your insurance policy if you are ok with sharing the information.

Thanks
SedateGuy is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 30th April 2023, 14:55   #28
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SedateGuy View Post
This is really interesting. Would like to know more about your insurance policy if you are ok with sharing the information.

Thanks
It's a corporate policy and amount is reimbursable via TPA. I work for one of the MAANGs and they seem to have a generous coverage for these indeed.
OffRoadFun is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 30th April 2023, 15:30   #29
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by eyedocgb View Post
As an Ophthalmologist wearing progressives, perhaps may I suggest something?Branded progressive lenses without any fancy coatings but with a wider area will be accepted by most people.Important is the pupillary marking,how your frame sits on your nasal bridge and definitely lab cut lenses have more precise fitting,proper tilt with warranty also. Sometimes the frames are also to blame as customers either go for the branded expensive brands or the best looking ones, without considering frame size etc.
Thanks for the advice

Would you recommend progressives or reading glasses ? I've heard people say they eventually cause power to increase and will need frequent replacement every 1-2 years ?

I'm going for my eye test soon - I'm in the target group of 40+ year olds for whom progressives seem to be the most commonly prescribed and recommended glasses these days

Last edited by Rudra Sen : 30th April 2023 at 22:30. Reason: typo edited
NPV is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th April 2023, 16:00   #30
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by HereticHermit View Post
For what it is worth, my long time optician who is generally wry of suggesting me expensive solutions is advising that the kind of comfort I am tyring to have from a progressive lenses ‘MAY’ be had from something that starts at 25K price point and above.
I just placed an order for a pair of progressive lenses. Most expensive one (which had the widest vision, least aberration, all kind of fancy coatings....) was costing 38K+ and I settled for the least expensive variety costing 27K.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks