Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 22nd July 2010, 19:29   #1336
Distinguished - BHPian

...When you have stopped Banging Your Head Against a Brick wall!

My wife speaks of "breaking one's head" over a problem.

A sitcom from several decades ago gave us the advice "not to get our knickers twisted"
Old 22nd July 2010, 20:39   #1337
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
My wife speaks of "breaking one's head" over a problem.
That is a transliteration from a similar Tamil usage. A variation of banging one's head, really!

Thad, that made me wonder - have you picked up any Tamil words yet? The swear words, at least?

Last edited by Gansan : 22nd July 2010 at 20:41.
Old 22nd July 2010, 20:51   #1338
Distinguished - BHPian

I probably know about twelve to fifteen words of Tamil plus a handful of bird and animal names. About the thing I always refer to by its Tamil name is an ee!

That is pretty bad for five years, and a good few years before that of being with Tamil people in London. Mt mind is no better at language than it was in my school-days.

Still... If I can up it to 30 in the next five years, and perhaps increase my sentence count beyond one or two...
Old 23rd July 2010, 10:56   #1339
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I probably know about twelve to fifteen words of Tamil plus a handful of bird and animal names. About the thing I always refer to by its Tamil name is an ee!

That is pretty bad for five years, and a good few years before that of being with Tamil people in London. Mt mind is no better at language than it was in my school-days.

Still... If I can up it to 30 in the next five years, and perhaps increase my sentence count beyond one or two...
Well I guess you are 'Tamilogically challenged', right? I suggest you pick up at least the commonly-used swear words, as it helps a lot to know if someone is swearing at you, and also helps in swearing back.

As the old saying goes--'An eye for an eye and a tooth for a tooth'
Old 25th July 2010, 15:08   #1340
Senior - BHPian

If you know at least the swear words, you can pass yourselves off as a local.
Old 6th August 2010, 07:08   #1341
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam Kapasi View Post
I am no expert, but I love the language and study it, so I tend to make a few less mistakes. But we all make mistakes.....
If there is a joke intended here, its brilliant! (of course, we all make mistakes!) However I would have worded 'few less' differently, I am sure even you would have, Sam.

Tried to trawl through the pages, don't think anybody 'got' it, but then, did I?
Old 6th August 2010, 09:21   #1342
BANNED

Not sure if this has already been discussed in this thread, but the use of the word "crib" to mean complain or whine is almost unique to India.
Old 6th August 2010, 09:28   #1343
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by carboy View Post
Not sure if this has already been discussed in this thread, but the use of the word "crib" to mean complain or whine is almost unique to India.
Quote:
6. crib

n / v., Complain, rant.
Dude, will you stop cribbing about the weather?
She cribs all the time
Source : Urban Dictionary: crib

Well, Urban Dictionary doesn't get the same respect from scholars the Oxford dictionary does, but it's not maintained by, or is popular with Indians.
Old 6th August 2010, 11:28   #1344
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by anku94 View Post
Source : Urban Dictionary: crib

Well, Urban Dictionary doesn't get the same respect from scholars the Oxford dictionary does, but it's not maintained by, or is popular with Indians.
Urban Dictionary lets anyone add entries, I think.
This was added by "Macha" who likely may be Indian. This is the only by that user.

Most other sources do not give this meaning for crib.

define:crib - Google Search
Old 6th August 2010, 13:22   #1345
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by LithiumSunset View Post
If there is a joke intended here, its brilliant! (of course, we all make mistakes!) However I would have worded 'few less' differently, I am sure even you would have, Sam.

Tried to trawl through the pages, don't think anybody 'got' it, but then, did I?
So we have another contributor to this thread. Welcome.
And you are right - no one got it. But if you mean to say 'got it' itself is not a correct usage (going by the way you have put it in quotes), I would say, I dont get it
Old 6th August 2010, 23:18   #1346
BHPian

Quote:
Urban Dictionary lets anyone add entries, I think.
This was added by "Macha" who likely may be Indian. This is the only by that user.

Most other sources do not give this meaning for crib.

define:crib - Google Search
Well, see the 80-90 thumbs ups besides that definition. I'm sure 80-90 Indian users don't visit the site and arrive at a specific word, 'crib'. IMO, it's an informal usage of the word doesn't appear in dictionaries. There are a lot more words popular with Americans/English that don't appear anywhere except UrbanDictionary.
Old 7th August 2010, 04:48   #1347
BANNED

Quote:
Well, see the 80-90 thumbs ups besides that definition. I'm sure 80-90 Indian users don't visit the site and arrive at a specific word, 'crib'. IMO, it's an informal usage of the word doesn't appear in dictionaries. There are a lot more words popular with Americans/English that don't appear anywhere except UrbanDictionary.
I am pretty sure that the English do not use the word crib in this sense. Thad can confirm. Nor do Australians.

Americans, I am not so sure, but I have never come across an American using it in that sense.

Plus there seems to be 51 thumbs up besides that meaning, not 80-90.
And 35 downs.
Old 7th August 2010, 10:25   #1348
BHPian

Quote:
I am pretty sure that the English do not use the word crib in this sense. Thad can confirm. Nor do Australians.

Americans, I am not so sure, but I have never come across an American using it in that sense.

Plus there seems to be 51 thumbs up besides that meaning, not 80-90.
And 35 downs.
After using UD for over an year to understand, you know, the kindda highly informal English Americans use in movies, I've learnt not to count the thumbs-downs. They're misleading, usually the work of frustrated teenagers.

Plus, every country has its local version of a language. You don't have to look upto the English Language department at Oxford to sanction your usage of a word.

Last edited by anku94 : 7th August 2010 at 10:27.
Old 7th August 2010, 13:22   #1349
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
I am not going to be dogmatic on this one, not sure enough to say "never" --- but I think you are right.
Quote:
Plus, every country has its local version of a language. You don't have to look upto the English Language department at Oxford to sanction your usage of a word.
It is absolutely true both that language evolves and that English has different regional variants. It is also true that both of these are often claimed as justification for bad and incorrect language. Taking the point to extremes, if we admit everything, then even baby talk must enter the language uncorrected!
Old 7th August 2010, 15:46   #1350
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
It is absolutely true both that language evolves and that English has different regional variants. It is also true that both of these are often claimed as justification for bad and incorrect language. Taking the point to extremes, if we admit everything, then even baby talk must enter the language uncorrected!
I agree with TEG on this. Taking things to the extreme can result in a language in which one is not able to converse with a person from another region. As an Indian what I speak may not be understood by a Japanese and what the Japanese speak may not be understood by the Australians and so on. So what will be the purpose of such a language, that too English, which is called a universal language?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks