Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 25th August 2012, 12:41   #1666
Senior - BHPian

Re: A YetiGuideŽ : How To Post In Proper English

How do you know the right prefix to use before certain words ? Is it ill-informed or un-informed, un-established or non-established etc.
Old 27th August 2012, 17:46   #1667
Senior - BHPian

Have wondered about this.

It is fine to say that "My uncle was a Physics lecturer". This is in the case when my uncle has passed away.

Is it fine to say - "My uncle was a Physics lecturer" when I refer to him after he has retired from teaching? Or is there a better way to say it? Or is it "My uncle was a Physics lecturer until he retired a few years back" etc?
Old 27th August 2012, 18:18   #1668
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shashank.nk View Post
How do you know the right prefix to use before certain words ? Is it ill-informed or un-informed, un-established or non-established etc.
I'd choose the former option in either case, as the latter seems to be an American version.

Quote:
Originally Posted by naveenroy View Post

It is fine to say that "My uncle was a Physics lecturer". This is in the case when my uncle has passed away.

Is it fine to say - "My uncle was a Physics lecturer" when I refer to him after he has retired from teaching? Or is there a better way to say it? Or is it "My uncle was a Physics lecturer until he retired a few years back" etc?
Well, in case you are referring to your deceased uncle, then 'My late (or deceased) uncle was a Physics lecturer' will make things clear. Without the word 'late', one will always presume he is alive, and that you are referring to his profession prior to retirement.

Last edited by vnabhi : 27th August 2012 at 18:19.
Old 27th August 2012, 23:19   #1669
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by carboy View Post
The usage of 'revert' to mean 'reply' is purely Indiian english and not understood anywhere else in the world. Usage of the type - 'Please revert soon'
Actually, I think it is American. I usef to hear it used in London over ten years ago. People would say, "I'll revert to you soon, " and I would point out that they could not revert to me, because they weren't me before! It is one of those completely misused words. We'll never stop others using language like this, but at least we can avoid it ourselves.

Another example of bad "business" English: "Can you confirm your date of birth?" Yes! You tell me, and I'll confirm it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by shashank.nk View Post
It probably helps to have studied Latin, Greek, French and various generations of "old" English! The excess of irregularity in English is largely due to it being such a mongrel language with so many origins. I haven't studied any of those things, but grew up with the language. When unsure, consult a dictionary!

In your first example, I'd say (without looking it up) that both are right:

ill-informed means the person got told the wrong information, uninformed, means they just don't know.
Old 28th August 2012, 00:12   #1670
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by naveenroy View Post

When you say "My uncle was a Physics lecturer", you are in no way saying that the man has ceased to exist, only that the man (your uncle) has ceased to being the Physics Lecturer.

Hence, the next sentence is ok, but you do not have to emphasise that he has retired/died unless you have to, depending on the platform you are saying it in.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
Another example of bad "business" English: "Can you confirm your date of birth?" Yes! You tell me, and I'll confirm it!
Errr, sorry Thad, in business terms (like your credit card company or) your own bank calls you or vice versa, one of the most important way to check the authenticity is this, 'cos they already have your DOB with them and they want to check this one apart from many other silly questions. At the end of the day, I feel they are doing their part for US not getting cheated.
Old 28th August 2012, 08:03   #1671
BANNED

Quote:
Actually, I think it is American. I usef to hear it used in London over ten years ago. People would say, "I'll revert to you soon, " and I would point out that they could not revert to me, because they weren't me before!
No - it's not American.
Old 28th August 2012, 19:04   #1672
Distinguished - BHPian

No? But it it is not unique to India.
Quote:
Originally Posted by esteem_lover View Post
Errr, sorry Thad, in business terms (like your credit card company or) your own bank calls you or vice versa, one of the most important way to check the authenticity is this, 'cos they already have your DOB with them and they want to check this one apart from many other silly questions. At the end of the day, I feel they are doing their part for US not getting cheated.
You misunderstand.

You can only confirm your date of birth if someone else tells you it: they should ask me to tell them my date of birth --- then I will not complain. It is not the procedure that is wrong, it is the language.

(Added to which, date of birth is so easy to find out that it makes a useless security question, but that's a different issue)
Old 28th August 2012, 23:42   #1673
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
You can only confirm your date of birth if someone else tells you it: they should ask me to tell them my date of birth --- then I will not complain. It is not the procedure that is wrong, it is the language.

(Added to which, date of birth is so easy to find out that it makes a useless security question, but that's a different issue)
I am not defending these tele whatevers, their English is nothing to speak of, but since they do have our history in front of their screens (which includes the DOB and maybe even our expected DOD), they want us to confirm what they are already seeing on their screen. Not that they are competent, but that's the way they have been trained.

Last edited by esteem_lover : 28th August 2012 at 23:46.
Old 29th August 2012, 12:56   #1674
Team-BHP Support

This is supposed to be the 3rd most popular TED video, Steve Job's video is at 8th place. Right off the bat I felt something is wrong with his English. In fact, I could hardly focus on the topic because of the strangeness of his English.

Check it out: Pranav Mistry: The thrilling potential of SixthSense technology | Video on TED.com
Old 29th August 2012, 15:17   #1675
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by esteem_lover View Post
... they want us to confirm what they are already seeing on their screen. Not that they are competent, but that's the way they have been trained.
They read from, or memorize, a script. The script is wrong.

What is peculiar is that these business/industry things happen like flocks of sheep. Everyone follows: nobody stops and thinks.
Old 29th August 2012, 15:34   #1676
Distinguished - BHPian

@Samurai-

Pranav Mistry has a Masters degree from IIT Bombay and is a PhD student at MIT. I guess his credentials are impeccable but having watched his TED videos myself (and attempted to read some papers on his website) I agree with you that his English usage comes across as odd.

He is a small-town boy from Northern Gujarat and that may have something to do with it. Must be said that despite the language issue, his TED videos are quite fascinating.
Old 29th August 2012, 16:37   #1677
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
his English usage comes across as odd.
English not first language, I suppose, and even if it has become the language of his every day, he has never learnt it formally.

If this was a marketing presentation, I'd scream within a minute --- and I've heard far, far worse from such salesmen who do have some sort of English as their first language. As it is, I clicked on the link to see what you meant, saw what you meant, and remained spellbound until the end of the talk. This guy has far better things to do than perfect his spoken English!

Brilliant!
Old 29th August 2012, 17:28   #1678
Team-BHP Support

It is like listening to Yoda I suppose...
Old 24th September 2012, 13:45   #1679
Senior - BHPian

This thread has to go on as tribute to the great man. let T-Bhpians see Sam in here and let the legacy live on.

Last edited by rajeev k : 24th September 2012 at 13:48.
Old 24th September 2012, 19:28   #1680
BHPian

The YetiGuide is a tribute to Sam's obsession for perfection.
Carry on the torch of knowledge lit up by Sam, for his memory is all we have :(

Most Viewed

Copyright Š2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks