Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 6th December 2023, 21:10   #76
BHPian

Re: The Diabetes Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by racer_sk View Post
My mom has been long Type-1 Diabetes patient. She has been on Insulin injections for past 5 yrs. Recently her doctor is asking to her use Insulin pump. I was browsing internet to understand more about Insulin pumps and thought why not to check on Team-Bhp. Le behold I landed on this thread.

We are still contemplating whether to go for using Insulin pump, as it comes with its own set of do's and don'ts which might be too much for my parents to manage.

If anyone has first hand experience with Insulin pump, I would like to connect over this forum or DM to get answers to some questions.

TIA.
I don't have first hand experience but the review (from some users and my sons doctor) for Medtronic 780G has been good. What I heard is that the Sugar is in range mostly.
It should be around 1 year since this has been available in India and when it was launched, it was around 6 lakhs. Not sure how much has changed over time. Monthly consumables + Insulin IIRC will be around 10k (I probably can be a bit off mark here).
What will be loaded is the fast acting Insulin. The CGM system in the pump will monitor the sugar levels every 5 minutes and takes a decision whether to administer a dose or not.

More power to you mother.
Long time Type 1 and taking Insulin injections only for the past 5 years?

Last edited by rajesh1868 : 6th December 2023 at 21:11.
rajesh1868 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th December 2023, 21:37   #77
BHPian

Seeking some advice here. I just got myself a continuous glucose monitor (CGM) last week, and have been noting some unique patterns. While I will share my detailed observations at the end of the 14-day monitoring window, had a couple of questions

1. When my meal is primarily rice, post meal there is a large spike in my blood sugar levels, but immediately after the spike the sugar levels come down rapidly. However when I mix-up rice with rotis, the spike is smaller, but persists longer. Mathematically, if I average it up, the extreme spike and the rapid fall results in an overall lower average, but logically it does not make sense. Any thoughts?

2. I do intermittent fasting (biggest advantage is instead of 4 spikes daily, i have 3 spikes now). After a 14 hour fast, I run 5K (twice a week). I was hoping to see the lowest levels of blood sugar post my run, but instead there was a 100 point spike instead. Based on what I read online, this is due to release of stress hormones, but is running counterproductive?

Any thoughts?

Note: I am off mediction, so there is no additional parameter involved here.
Old 7th December 2023, 09:32   #78
BHPian

1. Rice is a simple carbohydrate which immediately spikes insulin due to fast absoprtion. It is better to maintain time in range than going up and down. Same is the case with HbA1C, it is absolutely of no value if sugar keeps fluctuating between highs and lows.

2. Sugar increasing after exercising or fasting or after waking up in the morning is due to Gluconeogenesis which is hepatic production of glucose which is high in diabetics and insulin resistant people.
BLACKRiVAL is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th December 2023, 09:59   #79
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sachinayak View Post
Seeking some advice here. I just got myself a continuous glucose monitor (CGM) last week, and have been noting some unique patterns. While I will share my detailed observations at the end of the 14-day monitoring window, had a couple of questions

1. When my meal is primarily rice, post meal there is a large spike in my blood sugar levels, but immediately after the spike the sugar levels come down rapidly. However when I mix-up rice with rotis, the spike is smaller, but persists longer. Mathematically, if I average it up, the extreme spike and the rapid fall results in an overall lower average, but logically it does not make sense. Any thoughts?

2. I do intermittent fasting (biggest advantage is instead of 4 spikes daily, i have 3 spikes now). After a 14 hour fast, I run 5K (twice a week). I was hoping to see the lowest levels of blood sugar post my run, but instead there was a 100 point spike instead. Based on what I read online, this is due to release of stress hormones, but is running counterproductive?

Any thoughts?

Note: I am off mediction, so there is no additional parameter involved here.
Agree with Blackrival.
1. Sugar release of Rice is faster. Switch to brown rice and see if it helps reduce the spike. Both wheat and rice are carbs and will release sugar at their own pace. Even millet does, but some of them are better. Especially Foxtail. But may not be of everyone's liking.

2. Don't stop exercising seeing this. This is your liver releasing sugar on adrenaline release. Continue the routine and this might get regulated better. But overall for the day, insulin (external or produced by body) required will be less with consistent exercising.

I am not sure about all CGM, but in case you are using Libre, understand that the sugar values are not exact and what they show is a trend. It is an estimate based on the data it had 15 minutes back. Always check blood sugar at both extremes to confirm.

Last edited by rajesh1868 : 7th December 2023 at 10:00.
rajesh1868 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th December 2023, 10:26   #80
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by sachinayak View Post

1. It is not as simple as averaging glucose levels, without considering the insulin levels and insulin resistance. The goal should be to expose the body cells to less insulin (control the peaks), than a lower average. This will help in reducing insulin resistance and reversing diabetes. I would suggest you increase your fasting hours from 14 to 16 or even 18. This will increase the time the body is free of insulin and faster reduction in insulin resistance over time. And during the eating window, have food with a low glycemic index to keep the peaks less.

2. I saw this when I was doing Keto diet, and still blood glucose would be high in the morning. I saw this when I did a 5 day fast, and still sugar level would rise in the morning. This is known as the dawn effect when your body prepares for the day by releasing cortisol in the system. When cortisol level rises, glucose level rises too. In people with low insulin resistance, this spike would be small. In diabetic people with insulin resistance, this increase in glucose levels is more.

There is nothing to worry about this. As you are practicing IF, as insulin resistance comes down over time, you will see this spike reducing. And running in a fasted state is not counterproductive. Continue with this.

Video below explains this very well.

graaja is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 7th December 2023, 10:58   #81

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajesh1868 View Post
I don't have first hand experience but the review (from some users and my sons doctor) for Medtronic 780G has been good. What I heard is that the Sugar is in range mostly.
It should be around 1 year since this has been available in India and when it was launched, it was around 6 lakhs. Not sure how much has changed over time. Monthly consumables + Insulin IIRC will be around 10k (I probably can be a bit off mark here).
What will be loaded is the fast acting Insulin. The CGM system in the pump will monitor the sugar levels every 5 minutes and takes a decision whether to administer a dose or not.

More power to you mother.
Long time Type 1 and taking Insulin injections only for the past 5 years?
Well may be around 7 years to be more precise. Before that she was taking pills. I don't have exact details as I was not staying with them at that moment.

Thanks for the feedback on the Insulin Pump. From what I have understood till now Insulin pump will provide more granular control over sugar levels due to continuous monitoring. Still going over videos to understand what all activities come under regular usage.

Will post here once I have enough information.
racer_sk is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th December 2023, 12:42   #82
BHPian

Has there been consideration or exploration into the potential use of beneficial gut bacteria supplement consisting of Akkermansia muciniphila and Christensenella minuta, to address diabetes reversal and facilitate weight loss? i think it does has a potential to be used for weight loss and diabetes reveral.
Old 11th December 2023, 13:09   #83
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by graaja View Post
1. It is not as simple as averaging glucose levels, without considering the insulin levels and insulin resistance. The goal should be to expose the body cells to less insulin (control the peaks), than a lower average. This will help in reducing insulin resistance and reversing diabetes. I would suggest you increase your fasting hours from 14 to 16 or even 18
I went with one meal a day eating window (11-3) and completely avoided carbohydrates rather my meals are mostly proteins and fats ( not exactly keto per se). Sugars are in control and stopped all medication. I have zero gastric issues after moving with the IF regime and becoming more active
Thanks - ton @graaja for your wonderful posts on IF.
greyhound82 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd January 2024, 11:58   #84
BHPian

Hi all,

I'm 40 years old and I believe I`m borderline diabetic. Both my parents are diabetic. My fasting blood sugar is around 120, but the random sugar levels are consistently between 100 and 120. Plum cakes are a thing in Kerala during the Xmas days, and I had a pretty good amount of plum cake almost daily last week. In one of those days I checked my blood sugar about an hour after having 2 or 3 pieces of rich plum cake and it was 130.

I do exercise almost daily (some pushups, squats, stretching) and avoid sugar and junk food as much as I can (except on a few episodes like the one mentioned above). Otherwise, I am regular IT guy who spends most of the working hours in front of a laptop and occasionally walking around to take a break. Smokes very rarely (1 or 2 cigs an year). Very light drinker (may be 2 or 3 pegs once in two months or so).

So, what does normal random sugar levels and elevated fasting blood sugar mean?
Old 3rd January 2024, 16:28   #85
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DudeWithaFiat View Post
Please read up about insulin resistance, personal fat threshold, "energy toxicity" etc.
This should be a good start-https://optimisingnutrition.com/insu...es-management/
Please also read up about low carb, adequate protein, adequate fat approach for better metabolic health at the weight loss thread here at teamBHP, by G Raaja.

Last edited by Nikhil Beke : 3rd January 2024 at 16:42.
Old 4th January 2024, 09:48   #86
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DudeWithaFiat View Post
Hi all,
I don't think you have cause to worry right now though with your family history, the probability of you becoming diabetic is high. Right now your levels are reasonably okay and not a cause for panic or undue concern

Your FBS is slightly at an upper limit.

My advice would be to continue what you are currently doing to ensure delaying as much as possible (or preferably avoiding) onset of T2D. Just keep reducing carbs and increase muscle and keep testing periodically. All the best

Last edited by graaja : 4th January 2024 at 09:54. Reason: Minor typo
deepak_misra is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th January 2024, 11:28   #87
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by deepak_misra View Post

My advice would be to continue what you are currently doing to ensure delaying as much as possible (or preferably avoiding) onset of T2D. Just keep reducing carbs and increase muscle and keep testing periodically. All the best
While this is a sound advice (And expanding on what you are suggesting)...
1. Raised blood sugar levels is just ONE sign of a broken metabolism: I'm more or less certain that quite a few of us are suffering from other possible manifestations of insulin resistance (e.g. hypertension) without realising it.

2. Looking at diabetes through the lens of blood glucose is a very narrow way of looking at it. In it's early stages, the body powers through the poor metabolic state by raising Insulin levels("hyperinsulinemia") to get the desired effect. While this indeed is helpful in preventing the symptoms/early stage damage, this fragile("compensated") stage is destined to collapse ("decompensated") with seemingly minor insults, especially as one ages (e.g. the cake ingestion in this case). Loosely quoting Dr Donald Layman, a metaphor more apt for TeamBHP members: Insulin is like an insurance. You buy insurance to cover losses occurring due to an accident- we should not be relying on it excessively and indulge in rash driving to invite accidents merely because we are covered by insurance.

This video elaborate more on this topic:

Old 15th January 2024, 11:32   #88

Can anyone please tell me the impact of LCHF, Keto or intermittent fasting or bone mass density (BMD)?

As far as my diabetic history is concerned I have always been pre-diabetic. Yesterday fasting level was 117. I am 52. I love to eat but mostly home made food and have variety. Love sweets, can't stop once I start. Wife loves cooking.

Breakfast and lunch is light but dinner is heavy. Training with weights regularly since last 6 months. In the last 3 months my weight came down from 72 to 69 kg and tummy from 33.45 to 32.50 with hardly impact on the weights I am lift, basically trying to experiment if I can show my six-packs at the age of 52 (height 5.6). In the last few months, consuming more rice than roti.

From February, planning to cut my sugar intake and include cardio/running to experiment if I can I bring down my sugar level below 100.

BTW, had BMD test about 6 months ago and bones turned out to be excellent shape.

Any suggestions?
Old 18th May 2024, 18:30   #89
BHPian

I was going through this thread and it has been a while since anyone has posted....
Wanted to know if anyone here has recently tried any of the "Diabetes Reversal" programs and attained success?
I have been a diabetic now for 4+ years and on oral medication, twice a day with HbA1c around the 7 mark mostly.

I have been attending some of the webinars and am thinking of trying out either Gabit or Sugarfit or Zivov as the information presented seems logical and the programme doable; just want to know if anyone has been successful using any of these programmes (between 20k and 35k depending on the program) before i plonk my hard earned money to try it out!
Old 21st May 2024, 20:41   #90
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by car-o-holic View Post
Wanted to know if anyone here has recently tried any of the "Diabetes Reversal" programs and attained success?
I have been a diabetic now for 4+ years and on oral medication, twice a day with HbA1c around the 7 mark mostly.
Before trying out any program, would suggest do three basic steps
1. Adopt intermittent fasting (takes a week for your body to get used to).
2. Reduce processed food & direct sugars
3. Try to consume 1tbsp of Apple Cider Vinegar in a glass of warm water once a day, 10 mins before your major meal (could be breakfast or lunch).

I would suggest you follow this regularly for 2 months and if possible track any improvements using a continuous glucose monitor (Freestyle Libre from Abbott costs 2.6K for a 2 week period). The ones provided by Sugarfit are probably not as accurate (but I could be wrong here).

Last edited by sachinayak : 21st May 2024 at 20:43.
sachinayak is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks