Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

View Poll Results: Your preferred UPI app and why?
PhonePe 133 17.45%
Google Pay 383 50.26%
Paytm 159 20.87%
Amazon Pay 26 3.41%
Other - Please specify in your post 61 8.01%
Voters: 762. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 26th January 2023, 19:59   #106

Re: Poll : Your preferred UPI app and why?

I usually fall back to Paytm eventually, although I use Google Pay , Samsung Pay occasionally too. I keep switching between IOS and Android & when on Android I use Samsung Pay or Google Pay ; both allow the user to add Credit cards and contactless card payments. What I like with Android is, you are truly approaching a wallet free life, with UPI, Paytm Wallet and Credit Card tap to pay all available.
Unfortunately you still do not have it all when on IOS , there is no ability to attach Credit Card on Google Pay, or Paytm and Apple Pay is still a long way off from coming to the country.
I would say if your are on a Samsung Phone then Samsung Pay is the most comprehensive platform to use , you get UPI, a Paytm wallet and credit cards.
Till such time as Apple Pay arrives I find Paytm to be the most reliable, I cannot recall having a failed payment , I have full KYC so have a wallet and wherever possible i use the wallet to pay and keep charging it as and when.
I cannot vote, but Paytm would be my choice.
adew1902 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th January 2023, 19:59   #107
BHPian

Paytm all the way. Wallet is a blessing.
  • Single click payments without UPI PIN.
  • Amount gets debited from Wallet (wherever Paytm QR Code is available).
  • Bank account statement is not cluttered.
  • Single click electricity bill payments from wallet.
  • Never ever recharged Fastag as it gets automatically debited from wallet balance.
Old 26th January 2023, 20:23   #108
BHPian

My routine app for UPI payments have been WhatsApp pay and Google pay, with WhatsApp pay being used on a frequent basis. Have a wallet in Airtel banks exclusively for mobile, DTH and fastag payments.
So far experience with WhatsApp pay has been good!
Old 26th January 2023, 20:43   #109
BHPian

Voted others.
My all expenses are almost done through my bank UPI app. Reason : I don't want to share my financial details with private intermediate operators or their wallets just to get some minor discount offers. UPI is now my default payment mode followed by credit card(in case there are significant discounts). It will remain that way till UPI transactions starts getting charged.
negi15 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th January 2023, 21:32   #110
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayuresh View Post
Apps are merely a UI that invoke NPCI API. They don't get access to your account or any other data with the bank. Yeah, they do thrive on data to the extent it is visible in the app, such as whom you are paying, your spending patterns, balances etc. which is what keeps them interested. (And so does your bank as well.)
I very well understand that part but my bank is unlikely to withdraw money from my account maliciously but a 3rd party UPI app which has access to OTP sms etc etc, technically can. Remember how credit card companies used to tag along unnecessary insurance premia with the monthly bill, until Govt came down heavily on such practices. Until banned explicitly the onus remains on the consumer to protect his/her interests.
But as I mentioned it can be misused in ways we may not be able to anticipate now. Last year while I was buying an OTT subscription through paytm wallet thinking they can't bill paytm in recurring manner like how they did to credit cards, but to my horror I found that they added a recurring payment standing order in paytm wallet as well without giving any indication about it. There are many conviniently placed check boxes in wallet apps which if one is not careful will set up an automatic wallet recharge, pay some bogus insurance premium/charity etc. If one is not aware especially if one is not tech savvy enough then these unintended leakages may run them dry.

Last edited by huntrz : 26th January 2023 at 21:34.
huntrz is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 26th January 2023, 21:46   #111

Quote:
Originally Posted by HammerHead View Post
I get emotional when it wishes me luck after every transaction
This happened a few years bacK . Someone whom I know got so tired of these wishes and wrote to google complaining that the rewards ain’t really about rewards. Guess what, next time she got a reward of Rs 250 or so. Like they say only crying babies get milk.
paradhak is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 26th January 2023, 21:56   #112
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by huntrz View Post
my bank is unlikely to withdraw money from my account maliciously but a 3rd party UPI app which has access to OTP sms etc etc, technically can.
Third party apps aren't allowed to use OTP. Only the bank's app for its own a/c can use OTP. PIN isn't known to the app. Apps are scrutinized and approved by NPCI.

There are reasonable precautions and things are getting robust with usage. But can things break still? Yes - it can't be ruled out. But then any other digital transaction method carries similar risks as well. (Even non-digital methods do, but that's too much of off topic.)
Old 26th January 2023, 22:16   #113
BHPian

Samsung Pay all the way!! Very convenient, just swipe up. It works, even from lock screen. Lightening fast and most importantly, has rewards. Till date have collected vouchers of about 2500 solely from rewards.

One of the things which keeps me away from iPhone.
batish is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th January 2023, 22:37   #114
Senior - BHPian

My pick is Paytm! UI is simple and it takes care of everything from wallet to UPI!

However, with increasing UPI transactions we need to be aware of the fact to make the UPI id different from the phone number so that some random guy asking for a UPI payment doesn't record phone numbers which can be used for malicious intent. You'll never know! Just take precaution and I'm heading to change the UPI ID as I type here
Old 26th January 2023, 22:40   #115

I am using Samsung Pay as it is very easy to access for inmediate payments. But at times i can't avoid GPay for transferring money to friends and payment of maintenance and account transfers.

Last edited by aah78 : 26th January 2023 at 23:39. Reason: Typos.
Old 26th January 2023, 23:07   #116
BHPian

Short answer: any app having the best relevant offer for that particular transaction (requires some prior research).
Long answer -
1) Gpay : good enough for p2p money transfer.
2) Paytm postpaid : for all Paytm merchant transactions. 100% transaction success rate.
3) Amazon pay : slow, dated interface. Some occasional good offers on bill pay, recharges or Amazon shopping.
4) PhonePe : P2p transfers, has a strong rural population base.
5) Freecharge : Some "scan to pay" options, gives occasional cashback (though minuscule).
6) Bajaj Finserv UPI/Wallet : Latest entrant in the digital wallet field. Has some pretty good cashback offers going on right now. Currently doing all mobile recharges through this for guaranteed cashback everytime.
7) Mobikwik : Probably the best for cashbacks, useful coupons & partner offers. Use it often for flight booking, credit card bill payment or online food ordering.
superbad is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 27th January 2023, 08:41   #117
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
However do note the costs involved when an intermediary stands between a payer and a payee (compared to UPI, which is peer to peer).
UPI is not peer-to-peer. Between the payer and payee there are several entities - the payee's PSP (Google Pay/PhonePe etc.), NPCI who has tasked itself with resolving VPAs, another PSP if the VPA is not one that NPCI can resolve on its own, and of course, the banks at the two ends. Each of these have capital investment and opex that they are absorbing at the moment due to prevailing regulations.

Quote:
As the system stands today, yes, you should use credit card wherever possible as it gives you credit period + goodies.

As someone who used to pay credit card bills in six figures month after month, I have decided that the opposite is true for me. In fact, my January credit card bill will go down into (the low) 4 digits - such is my rejection of the card. I have also cancelled or not renewed most of my cards (down to the last two, of which one will go away when Citi packs up from India), choosing to retain only one card purely as a backup. I am inclined to add "bank cards" to that oft-circulating list of things that mobile phones have made obsolete.
binand is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 27th January 2023, 09:18   #118
Senior - BHPian

I use BHIM for money transfers and QR payments on a daily basis. Only when it doesnt work, say, once a month or two, I open up Paytm.

I have saved bank details, UPI ids of frequent recipients, even UPI ids of Fastag accounts of my cars.

Its simple, largely clutter free and does not have a thousand unnecessary items other apps have.
Old 27th January 2023, 09:24   #119
BHPian

Voted Other. Most of transactions are in cash. The occosional digital transfers take place through my bank account transfer. May be I know a little too much about UPI/Digital Payments that I avoid it !
Mudhalaipatti is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th January 2023, 09:26   #120
BHPian

I am a user of BHIM App. It is safe and convenient. I used it a lot to charge fastag via the UPI route (vehiclenumber@provider).

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks