Team-BHP > Shifting gears

Search this Thread
Old 29th December 2022, 12:27   #1
BHPian

KYC problem with ICICI Bank

I am looking for someadvice/guidance from banking domain expert or anybody who has gone through similar situation especially with ICICI Bank Ltd.

Context : I have been banking with ICICI for decades now (Personal and Dmat accounts). They have something called Wealth Customer.

Faced DMAT KYC issue with them in past when their mumbai office was flooded and they lost all customer documents (before 2010) and they asked for Re-KYC. They blocked my online dmat and trading access even after doing Re-Kyc multiple times. Seems my KYC documents used to get lost in sytem or at branch. Lost lot of money as i could not execute my Sell/Buy calls at "Right" time as my trading accounts were frozen by them.

So took my learnings and "Partially" moved to other banks like Kotak and HDFC. However, i still have couple of saving accounts with ICICI.

Problem Statement : I have pending KYC with ICICI for my saving account that has multiple joint holders.

I totally understand KYC is RBI circular and it needs to be complied. It is for account holder security.

Challenge is ICICI insist all account holders should come together to branch and submit KYC. My challenge is some account holder are outside india and ICICI has no branch in that country. Pandemic also added to overall ordeal as international travel was restricted. So plan to do KYC when member come to india. i have informed same in written to ICICI.

However, they have still made my account inaccessible and now i am not able to use my funds in account.

1. I am not able to use Debit card to withdraw cash at ICICI Atm.
2. My "self" cheque was not cleared sighting KYC
3. Online banking is blocked and now online banking ID is expired due to non utilisation.
4. As no transaction, account is dormant now.
5. However, even though account is dormant, they keep deducting periodic charges for locker/SMS/Annual debit card charges etc. They are not able to explain, if transaction (Dr/Cr) are happening, why account is marked as Dormant.

On other hand, similar KYC requirement are not as frequent with Kotak/HDFC and they allow online KYC through internet banking.I have successfully done my KYC for other banks online. Interesting to know, all banks are under RBI guidelines then how come icici has different protocols in name of KYC mandate.

Seeking Opinion/advice/guidance :

1. Can ICICI really block me out of my funds in name of KYC?
2. I have tried resolving it with polite discussions with branch manager/customer care appraising them of situation and requested for some way out or allowing duly signed form submission through mail while rest of account holder can walk in to branch.But no avail.
3.What is best approach to resolve this? out of your personal experience or banking domain expertise?
4. If it is not legal, how and whom to complain?

Thanks,

PS: Admins, I could not find relevant info hence started new thread. Feel free to delete/merge with similar thread. Thanks.
top_gear is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th December 2022, 13:00   #2
Distinguished - BHPian

re: KYC problem with ICICI Bank

Perfect case for redressal through the Banking Ombudsman. Please get through to the banking ombudsman of the said branch under whom the jurisdiction falls and make a detailed complaint regarding your issues if you have not got any redressal from the bank. For your perusal, attaching a link from the RBI.

https://rbidocs.rbi.org.in/rdocs/Con...06_2302017.pdf

P.S- I am satisfied customer of ICICI Bank for more than two decades now and I have even done KYC through a branch situated in another city as well. Your ordeal is certainly unwarranted.

Last edited by ABHI_1512 : 29th December 2022 at 13:03.
ABHI_1512 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 4th January 2023, 21:25   #3
BHPian

Re: KYC problem with ICICI Bank

Some of this may be because one of the account holders is not in India? Based on my experience (with another bank), if at least one of the account holders is a non resident then the entire account gets tagged as (or should be converted to) NRO account (which has its own unique set of paperwork (such as: tax ID from foreign country)).
Old 4th January 2023, 22:53   #4
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by infotech58 View Post
Some of this may be because one of the account holders is not in India? Based on my experience (with another bank), if at least one of the account holders is a non resident then the entire account gets tagged as (or should be converted to) NRO account (which has its own unique set of paperwork (such as: tax ID from foreign country)).
This is another complex aspect. Ideally, account holder needs to initiate action of NRO conversion provided they are earning outside India along with residency outside India for 180 days and above.

In my case, along with this, I am struggling to get all inside India at same time to visit branch physically.

Last edited by Chetan_Rao : 5th January 2023 at 08:58. Reason: Typos
Old 5th January 2023, 22:34   #5
BHPian

This news article today clarifies RBI views on the matter :

https://wap.business-standard.com/ar...0501005_1.html
Fx14 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th January 2023, 22:57   #6
BHPian

Why the OP didn’t use the internet banking where the documents can be uploaded? No need to visit the branch.
Old 5th January 2023, 23:25   #7
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by top_gear View Post

Challenge is ICICI insist all account holders should come together to branch and submit KYC. My challenge is some account holder are outside india and ICICI has no branch in that country. Pandemic also added to overall ordeal as international travel was restricted. So plan to do KYC when member come to india. i have informed same in written to ICICI.

However, they have still made my account inaccessible and now i am not able to use my funds in account.
I have done this several times as my parents used to have joint accounts decade back which went dormant with funds stuck in it for years and nowadays if one is free the other isn't, the accounts were in PSU's so what i did was got an authority/NOC letter stating that the other holder won't be able to visit and i want to make the other holder the sole operator of the account and converted the joint account to normal account then did the KYC and then closed the account.
revvharder is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 6th January 2023, 20:42   #8
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fx14 View Post

I hope this changes outlook for sure. Waiting to get it roll out at branch level/online. Will be a big relief.
Old 7th April 2023, 21:23   #9

Re: problem with ICICI Bank Account Closure

Dear Team BHPians,

I have ICICI resident savings and current accounts for decade plus. However, after moving to the USA, these accounts remained dormant since 2015. In my previous visit India, I tried closing my accounts twice (!) once in December 2022 and then again in Feb 2023 since they had not yet closed. Even to this day they have not closed my accounts.

I tried tweeting them, no use ! Emailed, they ask me to contact the nearest branch in person ! I can not call them since I don't have neither the ATM card nor the access to the phone number that I used with the bank account. Any suggestions on what can I do further to ensure my accounts are closed ?

Mods: Can you please move this post if it is not in the right thread ?

-Panchi

Wagon R | Ertiga | Camry | Stratus | Odyssey | Highlander
Old 15th May 2023, 11:41   #10
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fx14 View Post

Almost 5 months since this RBI announcement, no change in ICICI process/stance. Seems going to branch is only option while other banks are doing it online without any hassles.

Most Viewed