Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 18th August 2024, 23:14   #331
Senior - BHPian

Re: The Generative AI Thread (chatbot, text to image, text to video etc)

I am a heavy user of generative AI tools. I use it at work and also as an aid while teaching my daughter.

At work I mostly use it to synthesize and summarize text, translation, create text from images, help in creating charts and for research. While teaching/helping my daughter with her studies, I mainly use it to cross-check answers to math problems, help with languages and grammar.

I wanted to get the advanced paid version of one of the popular Gen AI tools. Basically either the OpenAI's ChatGPT or Google's Gemini. Having used both of them for a considerable amount of time, I came to the sad conclusion that ChatGPT >> Google Gemini. Sad because, I have alway harboured a soft corner for Google products. I generally feel their products are amongst the best and easiest to use. Hence, have made an effort to stay in Google's ecosystem. In contrast, I have nothing but hatred for Microsoft and its products. As S.Jobs said, and which I feel is very true, the company and its products lack soul. Even though ChatGPT is more Google than Microsoft, but since it's backed by Microsoft now, I equate it to being a Microsoft product.

I will share two examples to demonstrate my point - one from each of my main uses cases.

Work - capturing data from a picture based chart.

The picture for which I wanted the AI tools to create the data:

The Generative AI Thread (chatbot, text to image, text to video etc)-screenshot-20240818-10.50.248239pm.png

Gemini's response:

The Generative AI Thread (chatbot, text to image, text to video etc)-screenshot-20240818-10.50.118239pm.png

ChatGPT's response:

The Generative AI Thread (chatbot, text to image, text to video etc)-screenshot-20240818-10.51.278239pm.png

Teaching Aid - checking the answer for a math problem

The problem:

A garden is 357m and 50cm long and 76 m and 25 cm wide. It is to be paved with square shaped tiles of same size. Find the largest size of tile that can be used and the least number of such tiles required.

Gemini's response:

The Generative AI Thread (chatbot, text to image, text to video etc)-screenshot-20240818-10.50.418239pm.png

ChatGPT's response:

Name:  Screenshot 20240818 at 10.57.028239PM.png
Views: 96
Size:  28.3 KB

As you see above, Gemini either couldn't do the task properly or its answer was incorrect. I have rarely seen ChatGPT fail at what I throw at it, in contrast, Gemini flounders quite a bit. Hence grudgingly I ditched Gemini and got a ChatGPT Plus account.

Disclaimer: I am not a technology person, just a consumer of technology. So my comparison is only based on how well the two platforms performed for me. It maybe that Gemini is more advanced than ChatGPT or vice versa, I don't know and haven't invested time on reading about that.

Final thoughts: The more I engaged Gemini, the more I got the feeling of using a Microsoft product and the more I used ChatGPT, I got the feeling of using a Google product. E.g. if I ask for a synonym of a word - ChatGPT gives a list of words - thats it, and that's what I need. In contrast, Gemini will give me a list of words and then additional list like informal synonyms, more specific synonyms depending on context and ends with a question - Would you like synonyms for a specific context? - No and Thank you very much!
rrsteer is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 19th August 2024, 17:43   #332
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DigitalOne View Post
AI is not replacing you (yet)!!

https://Youtu.be/vB9dJt9j-5M?si=_8bEwPgxqCZ-LLTg
This was not what I got when I tried the same question
Name:  Screenshot 20240819 at 5.42.38 PM.png
Views: 93
Size:  48.2 KB
Old 19th August 2024, 23:37   #333
Distinguished - BHPian

Oh good grief, that's weird reasoning.

I'm innumerate, thrown out of the maths class at school. Here's my poor-at-maths inteligence anser:

nine-tenths is bigger than one[-point-one] tenth. That's it.
Thad E Ginathom is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 20th August 2024, 11:39   #334
BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (7)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fillmore View Post
This was not what I got when I tried the same question
When I saw the YouTube video on 13th Aug and tried it, this was the response I got :

The Generative AI Thread (chatbot, text to image, text to video etc)-chatgpt_99_911.png

GenAI tools are still inconsistent with the responses.

----

Here is a frustrating attempt, a few days back, to get ChatGPT to help me solve the daily Wordle puzzle. Given that these are "Large Language Models", I expected it to better than this.

The Generative AI Thread (chatbot, text to image, text to video etc)-screenshot-20240820-112658.png

The Generative AI Thread (chatbot, text to image, text to video etc)-screenshot-20240820-112741.png

The Generative AI Thread (chatbot, text to image, text to video etc)-screenshot-20240820-112816.png

The Generative AI Thread (chatbot, text to image, text to video etc)-screenshot-20240820-112848.png

The Generative AI Thread (chatbot, text to image, text to video etc)-screenshot-20240820-112917.png

The Generative AI Thread (chatbot, text to image, text to video etc)-screenshot-20240820-112942.png
DigitalOne is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 28th September 2024, 20:17   #335

Quote:
Originally Posted by DigitalOne View Post

GenAI tools are still inconsistent with the responses.

----

Here is a frustrating attempt, a few days back, to get ChatGPT to help me solve the daily Wordle puzzle. Given that these are "Large Language Models", I expected it to better than this.
This is very true, infact the models would remain inconsistent and the constant rising fear would be subsided when we all look at how these things work. In normal terms it converts sentences into a vector or a sequence of numbers and end up predicting the next in the sequence. That's why it makes such mistakes that seem like its incapable to say the least.

Although the new OpenAI model (OpenAI o1) seems interesting and in contrast to this. Its developed with a different sort of training, its still a model that predicts the next in the sequence but what it does now is that it divides the one big task asked to it as a set of small tasks then follow that and solve it one by one arriving at the final answer.

This is called Chain of thought prompting. It's shown some good results especially in math and research application, even scoring 83% for the qualifying exam for international math olympiad, but still since its a next step predicting model, it goes wrong in one step, the entire sequence may mess up. Infact if you look at the earlier models by OpenAI or google itself you can see that sentences generated by them would seem quite bad (it would generate two words relevant to the context, then the sequence would go bad and there'd be random words that doesnt even make sense).

AI has come a long way, but it still has a long way to go, with some news suggesting that there are improvements trying to be brought about to make sure the sequence doesnt get badly messed up by just a wrong word prediction, although there's a lot of algorithms for the same, none is foolproof and will require human monitoring to rectify. Humans aren't going anywhere soon, repetitive and menial jobs would though.

Last edited by KarthikK : 28th September 2024 at 20:22.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks