Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 28th February 2024, 12:49   #241
BHPian

Re: The Generative AI Thread (chatbot, text to image, text to video etc)

Keeping the rules up to date and banning AI generated posts here is a huge foresight, one that I really appreciate.

I already see tons of clickbait AI generated articles online with eerily succinct language, yet no substance (calling them articles sometimes feels "polite to the point of foolishness"). As we move forward, a forum like Team-BHP will definitely stand to gain from a USP of "only original, human content." AI has its applications, sure. Just not on an enthusiast forum.

AI can give me an exhaustive feature breakdown of a new car in seconds. But the human and personal parts of a new car purchase? The dinner-table family debates? The attention to detail? Well, only human reviews can even dream of conveying them!

Last edited by GForceEnjoyer : 28th February 2024 at 12:51.
GForceEnjoyer is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 28th February 2024, 12:49   #242
BHPian

Simply curious - is there any way to distinguish machine generated from human one? On a technical topic, I am sure machines can generate fairly comprehensive ones without leading to suspicion but on opinion-based ones, it may have limitations to begin with. But I wonder how moderators will differentiate in first place.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Guys, a sincere request = please don't ever use ChatGPT / AI to type your posts on Team-BHP. It will lead to a straight ban on your account. We want to read your thoughts & your language, not a machine's. So please, keep it 100% original & human on Team-BHP .

Thanks for the support & understanding
Old 28th February 2024, 13:20   #243
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thilak29 View Post
Simply curious - is there any way to distinguish machine generated from human one?
This is actually an evolving research topic.
Although there are tools that claim to do this, the accuracy is pretty questionable.

The closest example is spam detection. It took decades for good spam detection capabilities to come up. Even now, yahoomail gets it horribly wrong.
Old 28th February 2024, 14:11   #244
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by cooldip View Post

I'm keen to know the forum's views on using GPT or any other AI as an editing tool for writing TBHP posts.
Please forgive me for asking this. What is Chat GPT ? I have heard of this Term but donot know anything more than its name.

My Background:
I work in an Automobile company as a Homologation Manager. In our organization the Term "Chatgpt" does not exist. So I am not sure, what is this application for ? Is it some thing every professional should know ?
Old 28th February 2024, 14:24   #245
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apex1815 View Post
Please forgive me for asking this. What is Chat GPT ? I have heard of this Term but donot know anything more than its name.

My Background:
I work in an Automobile company as a Homologation Manager. In our organization the Term "Chatgpt" does not exist. So I am not sure, what is this application for ? Is it some thing every professional should know ?
On what exactly is chatgpt, that is just a google search away.
To your second question, this is what ChatGPT says on how it can help someone in your role.
Attached Thumbnails
The Generative AI Thread (chatbot, text to image, text to video etc)-capture.png  

warrioraks is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 28th February 2024, 16:06   #246
BHPian

I agree and appreciate the foresight here regarding GAI generated content.
But I guess putting it on the read path would be a great value add. I see some interesting threads with 10+ pages and it takes a while to go through all of it (which I still do. Every day!) but I can see the benefit of an AI thread summariser.

LinkedIn uses it and would ramp it for premium users. Microsoft does this and its already available in my Outlook. It summarises long email threads.

What do you all think? @mods?
Tutenkhamen is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th February 2024, 17:12   #247
BHPian

Sora- OpenAI's new text-to-video model

Hey!

Around two weeks ago, OpenAI unveiled their new, AI-based text-to-video model "Sora"- and it's capabilities are gosh darn trippy, to be honest. It's able to produce short clips based on text prompts which are shockingly realistic. It still goofs up certain physical aspects and lacks continuity of details in certain clips, but it is a giant leap ahead in terms of quality and realism in AI-generated content (in video format, atleast). I stumbled across American tech youtuber Marques Brownlee's video on the subject and I'll just share it here with everyone as his analysis was quite comprehensive in itself.

Sora is the japanese word for "sky", and while this isn't quite the right comparison, it reminds me of a certain artificial neural network called Skynet from a certain James Cameron film . So, it is quite startling(and somewhat alarming) to see how quickly these AI generative models are advancing . I'm joking obviously, and on the other contrary, it's fascinating to muse the possibilities they unlock and what the next step would be in terms of their evolution.

Here's Marques's video-

Also, here's OpenAI's official release video showcasing the model's abilities-

So, what do you guys think about this?

Last edited by Dosa : 28th February 2024 at 17:33. Reason: Added extra information
Dosa is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 28th February 2024, 17:18   #248
Team-BHP Support

One of the biggest dangers of using generative AI: It can hijack the narrative. Gemini AI recently tried to erase white people from history.

Jack Krawczyk is the product lead for Google Bard/Gemini, and it basically was pushing his ideology in its answers.

https://www.sportskeeda.com/pop-cult...emini-backlash

Samurai is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 28th February 2024, 18:29   #249
Team-BHP Support

Ola Krutrim (beta) is now open to public :
https://olakrutrim.com/

I asked an important question:

The Generative AI Thread (chatbot, text to image, text to video etc)-screenshot_6.png

More about Krutrim:
https://www.financialexpress.com/lif...llion-3376172/
SmartCat is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 28th February 2024, 18:46   #250
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tutenkhamen View Post
I agree and appreciate the foresight here regarding GAI generated content.
But I guess putting it on the read path would be a great value add. I see some interesting threads with 10+ pages and it takes a while to go through all of it (which I still do. Every day!) but I can see the benefit of an AI thread summariser.
What do you all think? @mods?
It is an interesting proposal, but I have a few questions on the proposal - while answering them, I hope we get reminded of the true purpose of a forum like this.

For some of us who research topics and write long posts, the sheer reward is in knowing if it was useful or interesting to people. We often find ourselves checking, sometimes multiple tomes a day, how many views are there of the post, how many likes are there etc. Will AI bots reading and summarizing the post create any satisfacton for authors? Will it count towards the view count of the thread? Can they start liking threads? If so, on what basis?

Today, mods decide on the popularity of a thread and designate "hot threads" by looking at multiple factors like views, replies, likes etc. Would many AI bots reading, liking and summarizing the text count towards this process? How do we know if real readers read a post, or, if it is useful to them, if the bot takes over this process?

In many cases, what makes the forum interesting is the diversity and sometimes the divergence of ideas and opinions. Members can often go on for dozens of.posts respectfully and logically arguing contradicting opinions. An AI bot will likely summarize this in one sentance - "most readers have the opinion that X is true" - while in reality you need to come to your own conclusion on the topic, as it may be based on your own opinion combined with the rationale laid out in the thread. You can only come to your conclusion if you go through the nuances laid out in the entire thread.

• If we cannot know what our audience really wants or likes, can we continue to be relevant and viable as a community?
  • Why would the members contribute if goes into a black hole and there is no measurable feedback?
  • How would members reach correct conclusions - as the car is a very personal and emotive subject - without going into the details?

There are many more such questions, but hopefully we can stay sane and preserve this forum's uniqueness and relevance by keeping it human.

Last edited by 84.monsoon : 28th February 2024 at 19:09.
84.monsoon is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 28th February 2024, 18:48   #251
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
One of the biggest dangers of using generative AI: It can hijack the narrative. Gemini AI recently tried to erase white people from history.

Jack Krawczyk is the product lead for Google Bard/Gemini, and it basically was pushing his ideology in its answers.
Meta AI skipped Trump as the 45th president of USA and went straight to Biden.

Google stocks tanked yesterday by 70 billion.

I think Elon Musk X-AI aka Grok will be the most balanced.
aim120 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 28th February 2024, 18:57   #252
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
GPT or any other AI as an editing tool for writing TBHP posts.
That would be pretty cool. AI can be a huge help with "editing", while a pretty bad tool for "generating" content.

Areas where it can help :
  1. Typo / Grammer suggestions
  2. Pointing out common gotchas like back to back posts
  3. Flag potential rule violations during edits such as mentions of alcohol
NetfreakBombay is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th February 2024, 19:15   #253
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmartCat View Post
Ola Krutrim (beta) is now open to public :
https://olakrutrim.com/

I asked an important question:

Attachment 2577488

More about Krutrim:
https://www.financialexpress.com/lif...llion-3376172/
Very similar to Gemini, this model has already shot to fame because of some interesting responses.
Attached Images

warrioraks is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th February 2024, 21:15   #254

Quote:
Hello folks,

I'm keen to know the forum's views on using GPT or any other AI as an editing tool for writing TBHP posts..
I don’t see why not. Technically even auto-complete might be considered as a sort of an AI, if we’re allowed that, why not something better in the same vein. On the other hand, I think it has the potential to sap away the intangibles, maybe down the line there’ll be no unique writing styles or interesting metaphors. All our posts may end up sounding like pedantic MBAs on quora

Just like some of us like 2 strokes and analog speedos and tachs, I’d prefer for my posts to be completely written by humans
Pythonic is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th February 2024, 18:05   #255
BHPian

On a different tangent related to AI, with the almost exponential pace at which AI is developing and integrating into business and normal life and before long into "Security", isn't it time for governments to start thinking about setting up a Counter-AI Force?
Just like we have people and teams to fight Cyber-threats from our friends & enemies.

With what I am hearing about how good the AI copilot on GitHub already is, it wouldn't be far fetched to think that companies will no longer need "Programmers" and only mangers since the coding will be done by AI.

We wouldn't want to find ourselves in a future where, no one except the AI's know how to Code.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks