Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 3rd October 2021, 11:29   #3976
Senior - BHPian

Re: The TV / Streaming shows thread (no spoilers please)

Quote:
Originally Posted by noopster View Post
Well you're in a minority then. I started watching it early on and couldn't wait for the week to pass so that a new episode would land on Disney Hotstar+
Mare of easttown was fantastic. Each episode was gripping and though we can try guessing about the murderer the reveal is a little surprising.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doonite View Post

I've had people recommend me "The Wire" as even better than the above two but i haven't got around to watching it.
Drop everything you are watching and start The Wire. It's the pinnacle of crime shows. So many shows after this have taken inspiration from it. Trust me you will agree by the end of it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by amol4184 View Post
Netflix has that habit. I was so surprised that a show like Mindhunter was cancelled. The attention to detail and characters look-alikes to actual people is just phenomenal.
Technically Mindhunter hasn't been cancelled. Fincher has said he just doesn't have the time to make a season 3 right now but he may in future. It's a shame as season 2 was setting beautifully for season 3.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Electromotive View Post
You forgot about Better Call Saul.
BCS has surpassed Breaking bad imo. Which is a great thing as someone getting into them should see BCS first and Breaking bad second. What a treat it will be.

Quote:
Originally Posted by naveen.raju View Post
I was ordering why nobody posted anything about the Squid Game..
I enjoyed Squid game and season 2 is in the making. But, on a similar theme I feel Alice in Borderland was better. More pacy and unpredictable.

P.S - For everyone who hasn't seen it, I highly recommend Mr. Inbetween. Scott Ryan is absolutely terrific in it. It's airing on Hotstar. Also Barry if you haven't seen it is quite similar and quirky.
Old 3rd October 2021, 11:48   #3977
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by harry10 View Post
Drop everything you are watching and start The Wire. It's the pinnacle of crime shows.
I already started watching it after u/amol4814's recommendation. I almost binge watched the first season and didn't even notice that i had finished the first season, it's that good. Season 2 is on hold for me due to upcoming exams.

As for "Alice in borderland" and "The Squid Game", i could more or less figure out the final episode suspense both times and find both shows at best 7/10. Definitely not worth recommending to those are who are used to watching legendary shows

Also, has anyone noticed that release of Netflix Originals especially Korean shows, get marketed the crap out of them with fake reviews all across the tabloids (where they hype average shows), sudden appearance of memes on social media, and the early reviews on IMDB. They might have you believe it's the best show in the world
Doonite is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 5th October 2021, 19:33   #3978
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by naveen.raju View Post
Don't know what's the fuzz about. It's all about Squid game on the net.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doonite View Post
sudden appearance of memes on social media, and the early reviews on IMDB. They might have you believe it's the best show in the world
Reddit, IG both are full of Squid game. Relentless memes and references to series everywhere.
I am almost tempted to drop Deadwind and start Squid game.
amol4184 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th October 2021, 02:28   #3979
BHPian

Eagerly awaiting the docuseries "House of Secrets: The Burari Deaths" premiering on Netflix on 8th October.

The story traces the mystery behind India’s infamous 2018 Burari deaths, where 11 members across three generations of a family were found dead under strange circumstances in their house in Delhi. Riveting!

Trailer:
IamNikhil is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 7th October 2021, 10:16   #3980
BHPian

Ultraviolet (Netflix, Polish) seems promising, I have just watched one episode so far. I would rate it 7.5 based on this first episode alone. https://www.imdb.com/title/tt7514746/
Quote:
Ultraviolet*(2017)

An online community of amateur sleuths use technology to solve crimes -- and make quirky friends -- in their quest for justice.

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt7514746...item=po4864465
Attached Thumbnails
The TV / Streaming shows thread (no spoilers please)-screenshot_20211007101103_imdb.png  

Old 7th October 2021, 12:01   #3981
BHPian

Watched Squid Games on Netflix. I have mixed feelings about it. Loved the background score though and also it has been shot brilliantly. At par with the biggest names out there.

My rating 3/5.
Engine_Roars is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 9th October 2021, 22:13   #3982
BHPian

Just saw The Chestnut Man - Danish Crime Drama. It is a little on the slower side so may not be everyone's cup of tea.

The series has its moments and keeps you engaged, but is it gripping / edge of the seat - not so, primarily because some parts are predictably played out. The leads play their part well and the supporting cast could have done better.
Good part - 6 episodes of approx 50 mins each so not too long and can be binge watched, has english audio so makes it easier to do without subtitles.
The funny part - watch it in Hindi audio .

Overall rating - 4/5
Steaming on - Netflix
Old 10th October 2021, 20:27   #3983
BHPian

Finished watching 'Squid Games' on Netflix. What a roller coaster ride of emotions ! 6th episode is real tear jerker ! The last time I shed tears was when I watched the Grand Tour's last episode - 'funeral for a Ford'. A fresh concept, storyline everything is just perfect and makes you think on so much different levels for each and every character.
I would rate it 5/5.
Akshay6988 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th October 2021, 21:01   #3984
Senior - BHPian

Watched "Squid Games".

Good but IMO its over-hyped & promoted. Concept (acting, characters etc ) is good, but thats all.

3.5/5 is sufficient.
GrammarNazi is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 11th October 2021, 10:13   #3985
Senior - BHPian

Started watching The Exorcist series on Prime. Five episodes down and it's been pretty good. It is building up really well and hope they manage to sustain the tempo to a crescendo
Old 11th October 2021, 11:04   #3986
BHPian

I watched Midnight Mass on Netflix over the weekend. Story is set in an American island inhabited mostly by fisherfolk. Following an oil spill, the island's economy is in dire straits and it's population is withering away. Into this mix arrives a new priest with whom comes a series of miracles. The secret behind these miracles and how it impacts the islanders forms rest of the tale.

While the human stories are quite compelling and well enacted, what let down the show for me was the long, never-ending dialogues. I don't mind a long monologue or a debate between two characters but I can't help but be bored when nearly every single character breaks into one every episode (this happens even when absolute mayhem is happening all around them). Also, while the penultimate episode and first half of last episode did build some nice tension and terror, I frankly found the ending to be quite comical.

Finally, my recommendation is to watch it only of you don't have anything else. At 7 hour long episodes, it can be wrapped up quickly.
Old 11th October 2021, 13:43   #3987
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by deathwalkr View Post
Started watching The Exorcist series on Prime. Five episodes down and it's been pretty good. It is building up really well and hope they manage to sustain the tempo to a crescendo
The series is excellent. Ben Daniels was a joy to watch. I am disappointed they stopped after 2 seasons.

I learnt the original movie will be remade. Pretty sure, this will be botched up

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndieGooner View Post
I watched Midnight Mass on Netflix over the weekend. .
This could have been so much better with 3/4 episodes. The premise, atmosphere was amazing and I was hooked.
The ending was predictable and well, comical as you rightly pointed out !
Old 11th October 2021, 14:49   #3988
BHPian

Watching "The Good Place" now which is very nice comedy show and I am having Fun.

"Squid Games" was very enjoyable and now telling my wife to watch it.

Watching "Veep" too right now and that is also a funny show.
raksrules is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 12th October 2021, 12:36   #3989
BHPian

"Oats Studio" on Netflix. Short episodes, not linked to each other except two of them.
3/5.
Old 14th October 2021, 02:13   #3990
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by IamNikhil View Post
Eagerly awaiting the docuseries "House of Secrets: The Burari Deaths" premiering on Netflix on 8th October.

The story traces the mystery behind India’s infamous 2018 Burari deaths...
This is a good one. Nicely done by Netflix and handled the entire thing with extreme sensitivity. Episode 2 was really creepy. But the overall sequence of events disturbs us. It teaches how mental health is such an important aspect and we never care about it. I feel sorry for their neighbors and relatives of this family.

My take 4.5/5

Last edited by ShankarG : 14th October 2021 at 02:14. Reason: Minor correction
ShankarG is offline   (5) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks