Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 9th September 2022, 17:28   #16
Senior - BHPian

Re: The "Queen of Hearts" is no more | HM Queen Elizabeth II passes away

I was in the supermarket when the confirmation of the news broke - most people just looking at their phones as the messages and alerts came in. Same scenes on the drive back.

Definitely feels strange to lose someone who was such a constant on the global landscape. Even the staunchest republicans tend to have quiet respect for the dignified and dutiful way she conducted herself for 7 decades. As many have alluded, her almost grandmotherly image (artfully crafted to repair the damage from the mishandling of Diana's death), really gave her a lot of public affection that then translated to the wider Royal Family (despite the many scandals). It gave a lot of lee way. To understand the esteem in which she was held, Boris, another teflon man when it came to scandals, only truly crossed a line amongst his faithful when it was found out he was partying while the Queen was paying her last respects to her beloved husband, all alone, following the COVID protocols. (Heck, the fact that despite the war, Putin didn't hesitate to send a warm condolence message is proof enough of her standing).

Closest I ever got was outside a Tesco on Kings Road during the 2012 Jubilee celebration. Was munching on a snack waiting to cross the road when her motorcade drove past. The state Bentley really affords a panoramic view of its famous passenger.

I won't be surprised that many countries that held on to frayed ties to the Commonwealth and to the monarchy as head of state, now witness emboldened republican movements, if not outright trigger such legislation. I feel the deep personal respect for the Queen herself was the bulwark that held back moves to detach from the Royal Family. I can't help but wonder if public support for the monarchy (following the inevitable spike right now), quite steadily erodes in the coming years. Charles isn't very popular despite years trying to revamp his image. More worryingly the country is too broke to go through the rigmarole of changing all the currency, postboxes, passports, etc to Charles III R. I feel the rational step would be to just skip ahead to William.

On a lighter note, a colleague at work was disappointed that Louis XIV's record was just 2 years away from being broken (longest ever reigning monarch). They'd have to give it to one of George or Charlotte to have a stab at that.
ads11 is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 9th September 2022, 18:51   #17
Distinguished - BHPian

Formula 1

Quote:
Remembering Her Majesty The Queen
The "Queen of Hearts" is no more | HM Queen Elizabeth II passes away-20220909_184852.jpg

The "Queen of Hearts" is no more | HM Queen Elizabeth II passes away-20220909_184854.jpg
Venkatesh is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 9th September 2022, 20:48   #18
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by EV NXT View Post
Phillip came to me today,
and said it was time to go.
I looked at him and smiled,
as I whispered that "I know"
Wao. Thanks.

A true legacy, started young at 25, rule of 70 long years, Queen of 15 countries, a true symbols of affection, maturity, responsibility and leadership. Rest in peace Queen.

Although the monarchy had taken a back seat in UK lately, the relevancy of the queen gets limited to coins/currency, doing limited administrative duties, lesser influence in policies etc. Even then the respect gained by Queen Elizbeth II is commendable .
UD17 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 9th September 2022, 21:40   #19
Distinguished - BHPian

Amul Tribute to Queen Elizabeth II

The "Queen of Hearts" is no more | HM Queen Elizabeth II passes away-20220909_213942.jpg
Venkatesh is offline   (13) Thanks
Old 9th September 2022, 22:38   #20
BHPian

May the queen rest in peace. Would be interesting to know more about cars in her collection !
Old 9th September 2022, 22:44   #21
BHPian

Our government announces national mourning:

https://www.outlookindia.com/nationa...ii-news-222199
lapis_lazuli is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 9th September 2022, 22:54   #22
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by lapis_lazuli View Post
Our government announces national mourning:

https://www.outlookindia.com/nationa...ii-news-222199
A general protocol and custom for friendly nations.

History aside, the UK is an important strategic and technology partner for India while Australia which has the monarch as its Head of State is a Quad ally.

We did the same for Shinzo Abe and Sheikh Khalifa - Japanese PM and President of UAE respectively.
dragracer567 is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 10th September 2022, 11:06   #23
BHPian

R.I.P Queen. National mourning period begins in Canada after Queen Elizabeth II's death, but no indication of public holiday. There are talks about new currency bills and coins also here in Canada.
https://www.mtlblog.com/will-canadas...u-need-to-know
Attached Thumbnails
The "Queen of Hearts" is no more | HM Queen Elizabeth II passes away-5bfb7396bedf4e4b896ea1ac3f940119.jpeg  

Bhalla is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 10th September 2022, 12:03   #24
BHPian

I think the Queen was an overrated individual. The only thing i find commendable is the energy to work well into the 90s. Other than that, I don't find her work itself to be particularly remarkable given that it mostly consisted of ceremonies, speeches, VVIP visits to exotic locations & ribbon cutting at charities. All managed by her formidable army of personal secretaries, PAs, ADCs, security detail, stylists etc. The only thing she had to do was dress & show up. What's remarkable about that? Take off her titles & what remains? Just another high maintenance old woman with a million dollar budget & a billion dollar inheritance.
The Queen was born into royalty & discharged her duty as such. But so would've any other individual lucky (or unlucky?) enough to be born in her place.
superbad is offline   (28) Thanks
Old 10th September 2022, 12:33   #25
BHPian

Quote:
The Queen was born into royalty & discharged her duty as such. But so would've any other individual lucky (or unlucky?) enough to be born in her place.
You know about Prince Harry and Rahul Gandhi, right?
corvus corax is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 10th September 2022, 12:36   #26
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by superbad View Post
Completely agreed.

And to add to your POV, what has she done for India/Indians to deserve such flowing eulogies from so many of us?

Royalty in the UK itself is just a figurehead, vestiges of an era gone by decades ago. UK on its own is just a shadow of its former evil best. (Let's not forget their colonial past and their parting gift to us). They themselves pay only lip service to the monarchy, I fail to understand the sentiment overflowing in India...

She was just like any other granny who passed away. No less, and definitely no more... Pun very much intended.
kosjam is offline   (19) Thanks
Old 10th September 2022, 12:50   #27
BHPian

Quote:
I think the Queen was an overrated individual. The only thing i find commendable is the energy to work well into the 90s.

Completely agree. I don't understand the fascination of some Indians with her. To me she was just a symbol of the atrocities that her kingdom committed against us and for which there was no reparation. Aside from that, in today's times, is there really any place for any one to be a king or queen? It revolts against the very idea of meritocracy and democracy. I was aghast similarly when Indians were going gaga over the royal weddings. Perhaps a sign of continuing colonial influence that affects our imagination and servility that we have ingrained over centuries.
interest is offline   (19) Thanks
Old 10th September 2022, 13:01   #28
BHPian

Quote:
I think the Queen was an overrated individual.
Quote:
Originally Posted by corvus corax View Post
You know about Prince Harry and Rahul Gandhi, right?
Quote:
Originally Posted by kosjam View Post
Completely agreed.

And to add to your POV, what has she done for India/Indians to deserve such flowing eulogies from so many of us?
I personally am not aware of what the Queen had been up to cause I never bothered. So can’t comment on what she did and didn’t.

But speaking in general, we live in times where kids are handed out ‘participation certificates’. Even I have a couple of them. And I guess ‘not screwing up’ is considered an achievement these days.

50 years down the line, Ambani’s kids could have just done enough to keep things together, and they would be heralded as great business minds or something. (Nothing against them, just using an example. If they genuinely do some exemplary stuff then it’s good for everyone)

As far as Indians obsession with the eulogy and all, could be just the usual inferiority complex and fomo kicking in. As far as the govt’s decision of a mourning period, seems like a standard protocol extended to other heads of state.
TROOPER is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 10th September 2022, 14:20   #29
BHPian

Queen of hearts? you gotta be kidding me sir! Sure an elderly individual in a far away land has passed away and that sombre moment for their family is respected for what it is. But must we indulge in some form of stockholm syndrome just for that?
She was a queen to the brits' hearts maybe, and those gents' hearts are remembered rather unfondly for their morals & actions in these parts.
Any further elaboration might be considered as "political" so I'll desist from it but seems people are attracted to what is projected as "fashionable" in the moment.
PS: one Dr Verghese Kurien also had his punyatithi (passing away anniversary) on 9th Sept. Wish more thoughts were spared in remembrance of people like him with positive contributions to our society.
Vtach is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 10th September 2022, 14:42   #30
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Venkatesh View Post
Amul Tribute to Queen Elizabeth II

Attachment 2356881
Do you work for Amul or are the creator of these images?

I saw a similar image posted by you on Cyrus's thread.
https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/india...ml#post5398344
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks