Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 1st September 2022, 00:18   #76
BHPian

Re: OTTs & TV Shows are killing my interest in Bollywood films & theatres | You?

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post

Would love to have all my subscriptions in one place.
There used to be a common joke about the ever increasing OTT platforms, that someday someone might combine all these OTT platforms and reinvent the cable TV!
Old 1st September 2022, 00:24   #77
BHPian

Re: OTTs & TV Shows are killing my interest in Bollywood films & theatres | You?

Quote:
Originally Posted by sagarpadaki View Post
For me, enduring the traffic to drive to the theater, getting ripped off on food at the theater are two prime reasons to hate visiting the theater for movies. I understand that theater earn money mainly from the food and beverages. But I cannot digest paying 300+ Rupees for a medium Popcorn and 200 plus for a beverage. The sum total of travel+parking fees+food will be more than the cost of the ticket price for two.
The popcorns are very salty, so you need to have a cold drink, the smallest of which cost Rs 300 plus taxes. So you are down minimum Rs 650 for popcorn plus cold drink. If two people don't share, that's Rs 1300+. Add cost of ticket @Rs 600 per head for 4DX, total expenditure is about Rs 2500 for two. That's extremely expensive.

The 4DX experience of Top Gun Maverick at PVR was disconcerting. The movie visual and the seat movement effect were not synchronised. The seat movement would start before the on-screen action starts, and end while the on-screen action is still going on. It was not even just a few seconds of disarray. It was close to one minute, although I didn't time it.

Overall, movie theatre experience is not something I would repeat often. It is just not worth the money. My son wants to go to theatre. I tag along. Personally I would rather watch movies in the comfort of my home, streaming in full HD, audio on my 25 years old home theatre system. It may not have Dolby Atmos, but who cares. Dolby digital/ dts is good enough.
Guite is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 1st September 2022, 10:16   #78
Senior - BHPian

A similar sentiment as the "Cutting the TV cord" thread overflows to Theatres/Bollywood too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrammarNazi View Post
There was an experience when the family was tugged to be together to see a movie/serial. There were plenty good shows till the early 2000s.

OTT kills that. Everyones in their own world watching something unique.

Sometimes it's important to see the slow/emphasised part of a movie, and then see the rest of the movie with that background.

OTT shows play to one individuals senses. Since number of views is the metric they earn by, often they aim for primitive senses (nudity, gory death, superstition, wokeness etc) so as to get maximum views. Appealing for someone to be outraged is the theme these times.

Anyway, partly it's bad, maybe partly it's good.
While, there were many actors/directors who did do good work, overall "Bollywood" has under-delivered too many times - all while the cost kept rising. My regard for them further diminished when their PR managers didn't ask them to keep their arrogance in check.

Is OTT tasteful in the same sense/context that some of us would've liked ? Hardly, but OTTs have democaratised entertainment - even though the monetisation may be by a "view-count" metric, which I don't fully agree with.

I went to watch Top Gun in theatres because they've actually made a good movie that is suited for the big screens. IMO Just like many cars made for developed markets are better built (& sold at a fair price), their movies too are well made & are more likely justify the cost of the theatre experience than Bollywood.

Last edited by GrammarNazi : 1st September 2022 at 10:24.
Old 1st September 2022, 11:05   #79
Senior - BHPian

I think an overdose of everything ruins entertainment. When there was an overdose of cable TV channels, people switched to OTT for "curated" content. Now today, when I look at all the "tiles" on my Fire TV screen, I am frankly flummoxed. There is an absolute flood of stuff that is available, and its next to impossible to sit through searching for what you want. You end up seeing only two or three of those channels finally. Finally, content and presentation is still king. I think the movie theatre will still be relevant for a Top Gun or RRR type of a movie, but I dont think watching a rom com or "new age" slice-of-life type of movie will ever be a draw at the box office. Although I would love to see an experiment of having small movie screens (100 seaters)showing something like Family Man-all episodes of a season in one go. That would be a fun watch.

Last edited by fhdowntheline : 1st September 2022 at 11:08.
Old 1st September 2022, 12:01   #80
BHPian

It's becoming trend to wait for movies on OTT; or watch what is there in OTT and there is plenty more than you have time. Couple of reasons some people avoid going to theaters, it's more of my reasons also, listed descending weightage

1. Content quality in Bollywood deteriorated a lot, in some cases unwatchable on OTT also; specially compared to "OTT only" series/movies.

2. It's no longer an experience to go to theater, buy popcorn, dinner after movie etc. The traffic, parking problems, bad infra - makes the "good vibes" to die; specially in crowded metro cities or even tier two cities.

3. Cost of having "the experience" is also not justifiable in most cases.

4. Better TVs (large screens, OLEDs etc), ease of playing OTT (say on fire tv stick or smart TV themselves), cheaper broadband - that too you can enjoy in comfort of your home; makes the competition tough for theaters.

For me, Bangalore's traffic, parking hassle and cost of the theater experience put me off long back. I am not going to theater since 2017 (well, went 3-4 times in 5 years for some handpicked movies or to socialize). I found it better to invest on a dedicated home theater with 3D projector, AVR, 5.1 sound etc. etc. Not a person eager to see movies first day first show, when required I can wait for a quarter or two also for the movie to come on OTT.

Though, with so many OTT in the market and every one of them having their exclusive, it's becoming a headache like the time we had cable channels. However made peace that not all are for me, hence have only selective subscriptions - trick is not to fall for FOMO and so far all worked out.

PS. I found the channel feature of Amazon Prime very interesting. Subscribe to multiple OTT, but watch and manage them on a single app. Though very selective channel options available so far; but a way to go in future, when there are so many OTT subscriptions.

Last edited by dipdawiz : 1st September 2022 at 12:12. Reason: amazon prime channel
dipdawiz is online now   (4) Thanks
Old 1st September 2022, 13:50   #81
BHPian

This seems relevant to the discussion:

dragracer567 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st September 2022, 17:09   #82
BHPian

I have some different view to offer.

I think the content is getting marginalised everywhere and not just in bollywood. Look at the current crop of even Hollywood movies. There are hardly any meaningful and unforgettable movies these days. They are heavily dependent on VFX and and comic characters.
Once, they were making movies like One Flew over the cuckoos nest, Chinatown, Good, Bad and Ugly (the whole series), Pulp fiction, Forest Gump, and now there is bombardment of comic characters, more comic characters and more TV shows based on it. It’s basically reduced to VFX orgy these days. It reminds me of what Martin Scorsese said about Marvel movies in 2019 - “it is not cinema.”
In last few years - only few movies have come up with something different. Watched Licorice Pizza a few days back and it was such a gem.

So, I think the quality of content has gone down everywhere. And it has happened because of presence of OTT. They know that people will watch anything if it is made available on OTT and they are doing it everyday by releasing one or other show on Superheroes or some old wine in new bottle - one hot actress showing her thighs while doing the action and you are hooked to it, no matter where the storyline goes.

No offence to anyone but I read that some of the members have watched Top Gun on rent. I think if you have waited this long, why not wait a little more. Why not watch it when it is available for free. Especially when you know, that movie is not going to offer you anything new. I waited for new Batman as I had that gut feeling that this was going to be crap and hell, I was right.
In next five years, we would be doing pay per view. OTTs change our habits a little by little and we don’t realise it. We would tell them- “yes, we have money to pay rent over the subscription cost of your platform” and then they would make us pay for it. So right now, we may be cursing the high cost of movies in theatres but these OTTs are not gonna be cheap down the line. Remember, they are just establishing their market right now.

I think watching the movie in a multiplex has its own charm, no matter what the cost is. Only condition is the content should be good. I would readily pay Rs. 500 for watching any of the old classic again on the big screen. And most of you would pay too.
Blacklisted is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 1st September 2022, 18:08   #83
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Would love to have all my subscriptions in one place.
It's easy if you are on the Apple ecosystem and if you use Apple TV. That way, you are signed into a single Apple account on all devices. You can install the OTT apps from the App Store and manage subscriptions in a single place, usually from your phone.

The only recent glitch has been when the RBI disallowed auto-debit of credit cards because of 2-Factor Authentication. This means that I need to load my apple wallet once a month using UPI, manually, so that all the recurring charges for the apps go through. A self-goal by the RBI, to be honest.

Last edited by ranjitnair77 : 1st September 2022 at 18:10.
Old 1st September 2022, 20:20   #84
BHPian

Nothing can replace a theatre experience when it comes to watching movies. However, nowadays the lack of quality content is leading this trend towards OTT.

Theatre Going Pros:

- How much ever you spend on a home theatre set up, it is still a "Home" theatre. The sound system, picture clarity, ambience and seating can only be experienced in theatres.
- The very aspect of getting out of your home and going somewhere for entertainment itself , is relaxing. Add to that your drive to the theatre.
- Theatre has this unique ability to keep you focused on the screen, without any undue disturbances (except for the late comers and mid movie washroom users )
- The comfort of sitting in a nice position, and munching your popcorn, without even realizing that you are eating something, and getting immersed in the movie is a bliss.
- Properly curated and censored. OTT still has a long way to go in this aspect.
- Pros stop right there IMO

OTT Pros:

- The need to plan in advance, factoring in the traffic, finding a parking slot, getting into the theatre, returning home etc, you can actually watch 2 movies back to back
- The ability in your fingertips to watch what you want and fast forward / skip what you don't want. Additionally, you can choose to stop watching a movie if it is not to your liking.
- The cost of theatre movie watching is creating huge holes in the pockets. Imagine what it could do to a family of 4
- Availability of different types of content from all around the world. This also makes some of the Indian movies look silly.

I would still prefer watching good movies in theatres. I am not a web series person as such.
Old 10th September 2022, 07:51   #85
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by 400notout View Post
Same with RRR and KGF the only difference here was these were highly anticipated movies which lived upto the hype.
Quote:
However movies like Jayeshbhai jordar, Shabash mithu weren't even promoted properly. Few knew when such releases were made.
Quote:
But now movies like Bahubali, RRR and KGF have raised the bar for what counted for a theater going experience.
Quote:
So yeah! Cinemas are back! I'll be watching Brahmastra, Vikram Vedha, Adipurush and Pathan (with severely low expectations from the war director) for sure.
Can you see the pattern here?

If you see in 90s and early 2000s there were a lot of Bollywood movies which were shown with a story larger than life. I think that was one reason, why people loved to see them on big screen (along with effects)

Then came the multiplex culture where even regular stories which one can associate with daily life could be enjoyed. Now comes the OTT culture where the multiplex kind of movies; people can chose to enjoy at home.

While the movies with big action, larger than life story, one would still prefer to watch on a big screen.

South has continued to make such movies and hence they seem to thrive. While in Bollywood we have not seen many such movies being made. And when they are made with star power, they do make money.

I dont think its about quality of cinema. Its just the choice of Cinema one would like to watch on a big screen, versus the options available.

Last edited by ampere : 10th September 2022 at 10:21.
ampere is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 10th September 2022, 08:51   #86
Senior - BHPian

I believe Brahmastra has wiped out over Rs 800 crores in wealth of PVR and ONOX investors. Leading actors like Tiger have had to take a 50% haircut for coming films. So OTT may have hit Bollywood hard (On the surface). Few mistakes Bollywood could correct;

a. Announcing OTT release dates when the movie hits theatres. People will wait a month to catch it at home

b. Exorbitant fees charged by lead actors. (I mean, Akshay Kumar walked away with Rs 116 Crores with just one movie)

c. Lack of imaginative scripts that strike a chord with the audience

d. Lazy remakes of our own Indian films/'hits' in other languages (Everything is available online these days)

e. Bollywood is now more about 'proposals' ('Hit leading pair' + 'Hit director' + 'Hit music director'), than dynamic scripts. Where is the story, and how much is a writer paid anyways?

f. Recovery model not in the picture. It's a business EOD (End Of Day), and there must be team to ensure money recoveries are in line with amount invested (Realistically speaking). Have more previews with non-bollywood people, keep testing the product - like they do for ad-films)

g. Nri films. Movie makers target overseas customer base, neglecting audiences in India and their tastes. This is like hammering our own feet, as movies steeped in our culture/valour are doing well

h. OTT used to offer a great deal of money to filmmakers earlier, thereby recovering full cost. But they've smartened up now, offering good deals only to 'hit' films

i. Stranglehold of Yashraj Films and Dharma Productions on Bollywood; where one man dictates the vision for the film (overriding the director), the cast, the music etc. Director should be given a free reign

j. Higher costs involved in visiting theatres. For a family of four, it's Rs 2000 for tickets and Rs 3000 for their exorbitantly priced snacks (As I discovered lately). Some of us have more fun organising theme viewings at home with our gang of friends (With constantly refilled jugs of drinks and food). HD Overhead projectors/theatre seating/lights/THX sound have made it exciting (and are offering the full theatre experience at home). Moreover, my aged mom, dadi etc, who avoid going out, are all part of the experience

k. Fear of contracting Covid in a closed theatre with AC recirculating

l. Unruly mobs/students who create pandemonium in theatres, passing loud comments etc on scenes

m. Transportation cost is pretty high with Diesel/Petrol seeing all time highs. Trip to a distant mall will require at least Rs 500 for petrol (in my case)

n. Death of the single screen. I caught KGF1 paying just Rs 120 on the first day/first show. But that cinema theatre has made way for a commercial complex now. Malls (PVR/INOX) have a choke-hold on the business. There are front-row audiences (Gandhi class as we call it), who have just Rs 100-200 as disposable income. This class should not be ignored as 'volume business' was coming from there

o. Releasing films in 5 languages to capture a larger audience. Such ambitious plans mean higher budgetary allocation and higher costs with relation to distribution/promotion etc. If a film bombs, it nose dives in all 5 languages

p. Planning a sequel right at the concept stage. Brahmastra 1 has bombed, so what happens to Brahmastra 2? Is it feasible to make that now? Producers must gauge reactions to Part-1 and then plan more.

q. Finally, climbing ticket prices should be curbed by reducing overall costs - paying everyone on 'overflow' basis. That is, once the movie recovers money everyone gets a handsome bonus. Till then it's kept at 'base salary'

r. 'Boycott' phenomenon. People are latching on any vague tit-bit/gossip either on the cast, or story and issuing boycott calls. While, its efficacy is debatable, 'weak films' are certainly falling prey - leading to fear among makers

s. Leading actors (and main crew, perhaps) should be dedicated to 'a single project at a time'. Akshay Kumar (My favourite) released a film every three months (This year), and the toll that has taken on his film/films can be seen in the last few releases. Also, 'Familiarity breeds contempt' they say, so fewer films build an aura around the actor and audience wants more (I feel)

Please feel free to add to the above points - so if anyone from Bollywood is reading this, they can mark a course correction. This is coming from 'us, the users'. After all we love movies don't we, and want them to succeed! Just the manner in which we watch them seems to be changing. But will that avenue impose a budgetary constraint on makers and cull quality/number of films is the real worry

Last edited by Eddy : 12th September 2022 at 02:44. Reason: spacing for better readability
Sebring is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 11th September 2022, 08:34   #87
BHPian

Apart from the deterioration of content and the ones listed above by others, there is one thing makes me hesitant to go to a movie in multiplex. It's the "popcorn".
It may sound silly, but me as a person, look for value in anything I spend money on. I am ok to pay 1000 rs. On a movie ticket if it's worth (Say Avatar in an IMAX 3D). But spending 400-600 rs. on a tub of popcorn + 300 on a cup of soft drink is a big no-no.
In comparison, the ticket cost in Hyderabad is from 150-250 only at most of the multiplexes.

It was never a problem earlier, but with kids of age 2 and 5 coming with us for movies, it's kind of difficult to control their want of a bucket of popcorn and some fizzy drink especially when people surrounding them are having their share of it. My kids don't demand it till now, still I can feel their want.

On top of it, many multiplex don't allow even a candy to the theater (to keep the kids engaged). They check our bags like we are entering high security division of ISRO defence sector
So i prefer to watch the same movie in home with kids one or two months later via OTT, enjoy popcorn to our heart content, spend on good lunch/dinner at a nice restaurant in the weekend. Win-Win.

Last edited by Asish_VK : 11th September 2022 at 08:35.
Asish_VK is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 12th September 2022, 00:22   #88
SLK
Senior - BHPian

Its quite funny! I've been anticipating this fall of theaters for at least 6-8 years now.

Of course one size does not fit all and there are still people who have this craze for 'large screen' while they generally fail to give any technically valid reason for it.

Large screens are just large, period.
  1. Is the video quality in theaters better? - No, its just big, they lack the contrast and sharpness of a screen or even a HD home projector viewed from 8ft distance. Theaters do 3D better for sure, but mostly the experience isn't all that perfect.
  2. Is the sound in theaters better? - No, its just loud! Its personal preference, but I don't see a reason to hear dialogues at screaming decibel levels. Even the stereo effect isn't perfect, unless you are sitting bang in the middle. Also because of high volume, the contrast between high and low sounds is missed. And if theaters don't set the volume so high, you'll start hearing everyone around you talking.
  3. Is the view to the screen always unrestricted? - No, its community viewing! there is enough movement around.
  4. Can you go and watch a reaction again? - can you pause and goto the washroom? - can you talk to/ share your excitement/ reaction with anyone other than the person sitting just next to you? - No, it is like traveling in a crowded metro train, it's got better AC than your private car and mostly even better views and bypasses traffic, but if you can afford a car, you still drive.

Till a few years back, most people could not afford the content or the screen size or the audio, but things changed. People experienced that large screen was a hype! most movies don't need it. Previous generations did not have an option, that is where this community viewing came from. Its not about the right way to watch a movie, it was the only way back then and 'change' isn't easy for most. Theaters is one of the ways now, its community viewing and that too with many limitations.

Movies today are running in theaters by legally restricting their distribution, otherwise they know people will not come, that isn't called business! not anymore. So basically the industry knows! that this model is going, they are just trying to save it with these restrictions till they can and recover as much as possible.

Since this is an auto forum, maybe more would relate to this: just like with so much work from home still continuing, there is still more traffic than even the pre-covid era, because the people who could afford a private vehicle now realized the convenience and experience of using one! and never went back to the old metro/ bus/ sharing ways. (environmentalists can excuse this please!)

The market is becoming competitive and it always helps eradicate super profits people have been making (not just theater owners, but also actors, directors, producers). Welcome move from oligopoly towards a perfectly competitive market (hopefully).

Last edited by SLK : 12th September 2022 at 00:28. Reason: typo
Old 12th September 2022, 02:42   #89
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ranjitnair77 View Post
The only recent glitch has been when the RBI disallowed auto-debit of credit cards because of 2-Factor Authentication. This means that I need to load my apple wallet once a month using UPI, manually, so that all the recurring charges for the apps go through. A self-goal by the RBI, to be honest.
Quick correction here: RBI has not disallowed auto-debit through credit cards for subscriptions. They have just added some guidelines on providing an alert to customer one day prior to debiting the amount as well as one place where all subscriptions on a card can be tracked and cancelled.

It's another matter altogether that Apple has chosen to drop support for credit cards and do a half baked implementation of UPI which makes it a royal pain to buy anything on the app store.

Google has done the necessary work for implementing subscriptions on credit cards and all my play store subscriptions continue to run seamlessly on my credit card.
Old 12th September 2022, 05:30   #90
Team-BHP Support

Buckling the trend seen on this thread, and in general.. I've booked tickets to watch Brahmastra in the theatre, with 2 of my Caucasian friends. Somehow they came across the trailer on Facebook, and wanted to watch it when it came to the theatres.

I know I'm in for a laugh and cringe fest, but hey, movie time with friends always makes for a worthwhile viewing experience.

I still remember watching a horrible movie like Yaadein in a theatre with friends back in the day. Even now, some of the jokes we cracked remain evergreen as far as memories go!

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks