Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 20th May 2022, 14:29   #16
Senior - BHPian

Re: Your preferred automotive news sources | In India & abroad (apart from Team-BHP, of course!)

Team BHP is my number 1 source I'd say - I very rarely stray from it these days. The variety of discourse is what draws me and obviously I tend to get drawn into the motor ancillary threads quite a lot more. The newsletter has been one of the best additions (said it the admins before and I'll say it again), it does an excellent job in just giving a concise update of the market (including international news). So it ticks all boxes.
Obviously for reviews and ownership threads, T-BHP reigns supreme still. Got many in my extended circle back in India to swear by it now.

On Youtube I tend to follow the following:
Autocar India - vast majority of the India related content that's for sure.
Car&Bike - I used to watch it more but their production quality hasn't quite kept up with how polished the former has become lately - still Sid Patankar sometimes looks at cars that Autocar India doesn't have.
Top Gear (UK) - I'm a fan of some of their journalists, so tend to look out for their clips. Plus good place to get a walk around of some of the latest premiere offerings from brands.
Harry's Garage - very infrequently I must add. I do like that Harry tends to properly put cars to task on his farm.
Carwow - mostly again in the UK context when needing buying advice or to give advice to friends and relatives here I'd direct them towards Matt's way.
Verge - left field choice this but it's mostly on the rare occasion they'll do a video review of an EV, I find it interesting to hear about these cars from the lens of non car people, tech reviewers and see what they prioritise.
MKBHD - similar to above, I find the things that a non car person like Marques picks up on and appreciates fascinating because I think it can be reflective of the general populace a lot more than the enthusiast crowd on here.
Carfection (formerly XDrive?) - I can't remember when I last followed a clip from them but it's always one to drop in on because of talented journos like Henry Catchpole and Alex Gow.

Print media:
I used to buy Autocar India and the erstwhile Top Gear India magazines throughout high school. Only when I come back to visit home I'll pick up a copy of Autocar just to flip through.
Old 20th May 2022, 18:49   #17
BHPian

Re: Your preferred automotive news sources | In India & abroad (apart from Team-BHP, of course!)

Anything related to 4 wheelers I guess no one come closer to Team-bhp. I am hooked to our forum since 2008 for the same reason. For all 2 wheeler updates I prefer the following.

Rushlane

Xbhp

Motorbeam

Indianautosblog

Gaadiwaadi

I used to follow xbhp religiously for few years they had amazing two wheeler news but these days their news and pages looked more like paid advertising for few companies.
Old 20th May 2022, 19:23   #18

I honestly only follow two sites for reading up on car news. Team Bhp and Speedhunters. Both serve completely different needs for me. Team Bhp for everything I need and want to know about the Indian car scene, solutions to problems with our cars and just some leisure reading following everyone's frankly awesome builds.
Speedhunters is the first car site i have ever seen and proceeded to follow online. Almost fourteen years ago I stumbled upon the site just scrolling through Google, and I've followed them ever since. Though my primary reading interest there are the Speedhunters garage vehicles.
On YouTube however, i primarily follow Donut media, Life of Palos and Stradman.
Old 20th May 2022, 20:15   #19
S2K
BHPian

I have a routine of checking cars/bikes related news everyday, that starts with opening different webpages on multiple tabs. And as many of you will guess, the first tab is always the TeamBHP website.
My sources for auto news in order of precedence -
  1. TeamBHP - Not just the typical news and reviews but also the long term experiences and travelogues as well as the general helpful nature of the forum keeps me glued here.
  2. Evo India - The YouTube channel has some phenomenal videos. In general the quality of content is good but some of their videos have a distinguishing production quality. (Check out just the start of their Ferrari Roma review and you'll understand what I mean). They usually get access to cars many others don't get. The articles and podcast/discussion videos are good as well. Even the op-eds are good in the sense that they cover a wide variety and sometimes help in discovering or understanding some new things. Sometimes, their content might feel a bit biased, or tad too enthu-cutlet heavy and a layman might be bored with it. Sirish's personal instagram account usually has good content as well. Oh and they also have a 4x4 focused magazine as well as their primary Evo India magazine has some great content.
  3. PowerDrift - Good, honest, simple reviews. Probably the only major outlet that covers a wide variety of bikes to a considerable level of of depth. Production quality is great, and their opinions sometimes might clash with what everyone else is saying. But they provide a useful and experienced point of view, I'd say.
  4. AutoCar India - Good content, get almost all major car models and the production quality of videos is quite good. However, they seem biased sometimes, especially when they don't highlight the shortcomings of cars in their comparison videos. Also, don't cover the model or drives in as depth as possible. The magazine content seems to be average from whatever I've seen only and have never felt motivated enough to pick one from them.
  5. Ashish Masih - Youtube and Instagram channel - The only auto influencer in my opinion who is offers unbiased reviews and mostly from the POV of a layman having some fun driving, but focused more on the primary concerns of a layman. I'd recommend this to a non-enthu person if he wants to watch a review before making a buying decision.
  6. CnB - Most content is boring and the production quality has nose dived. Needlessly stretching features like CnB Awards makes it even more boring. However, SVP does bring a perspective that many others don't and gets access to cars that many others don't. And the fact that they have not yet messed up the production of any really good car keeps me checking them regularly.

In general, I'm very much surprised that there are very less mentions of Evo India and PowerDrift on TBHP forums.
I'll suggest other members to definitely check out their channels with some patience as they put up some really nice content and we need such outlets to grow.

Last edited by S2K : 20th May 2022 at 20:19. Reason: Adding points regarding the magazines and 4x4 coverage.
S2K is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 20th May 2022, 21:17   #20
BHPian

My preferences for automotive news are:

1. team-bhp.com
2. autocarindia.com
3. rushlane.com
4. indianautosblog.com
5. carwale.com (for general comparison and on-road price of cars)
6. cartoq.com (I find the content funny, they publish anything to add some masala)
Old 20th May 2022, 21:42   #21
BHPian

I used to listen to Cartalk on PBS.
Stopped reading car magazines. Team-bhp is much, much better.

Occasionally look up Consumer Reports

These days I watch, Scotty Kilmer, ChrisFix, Auto Expert John Cadogan, Rachets and Wrenches...

https://youtube.com/c/myRatchets
https://youtube.com/c/chrisfix
https://youtube.com/c/ScottyKilmermechanic
https://youtube.com/c/AutoExpertTV
Old 21st May 2022, 11:18   #22
BHPian

The following are my choices:

Team BHP - to be frank, this is much more than an automotive news source. It is a rich accumulation of life wisdom
Autocar - The quality of their video content is consistent and reasonably good

I also follow Stuart Fillingham and the Missendenflyer for their motorcycle reviews and content. Thought Stuart is more of an old wise uncle with a lot of life experience and wisdom to share.

I was a huge fan of Top Gear of the Clarkson, Hammond, and May era! Pity it ended the way it did. Though to be honest it was more of an entertainment programme interspersed with automotive brilliance!
Arun Varma is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st May 2022, 16:26   #23
BHPian

So, when it comes to auto news in India, I used to follow Autocar India but now that's been fully replaced by Team-bhp. Abroad, I follow the following sites (apart from Team-bhp offcourse where I now get most of the international auto news as well):

1) Autocar UK
2) Drive.com
3) Drivearabia.com (for auto news from the Gulf)
4) YT channels like Carwow and straightpipes
Old 21st May 2022, 20:55   #24
BHPian

As far as car news is concerned, I follow Autocar India (for India) and Car and Driver (USA). I don't know if car review channels are included, but if that is the case, I find Mat Watson (CarWow) thorough, although he has gotten very irritating of late. I also watch Doug DeMuro. However the latter is losing his edge a little. Not as well researched as he used to be.
Old 22nd May 2022, 00:19   #25
BHPian

My news sources are as follows:
  • Scotty Kilmer
  • ChrisFix
  • Carwow UK
  • Autocar (India and Global)
  • TeamBHP
  • Doug DeMuro
  • PowerDrift
  • ZigWheels

Now onto a Youtube channel that is very close to my heart, this more of an information source rather than a news source but I absolutely love Fortnine a Canadian motorcycle youtube channel by an amazing man called Ryan Kluftinger. He's a seasoned motorcyclist, a very humorous writer and a really knowledgeable man who puts forward his knowledge and ideas in an brilliant way.

The channel is named after and funded by a Canadian Online Motorcycle and Powersports gear shop (think of it as a Canadian RevZilla) called Fortnine so it means that he can take his time to write and produce an amazing video (1-2 uploads a month) and he doesn't have to worry about Youtube AdSense revenue or upsetting channel sponsors so he can do and say whatever he wants so he's not really restricted. The team for these amazing videos is literally 2 people, just Ryan (Writer and Presenter) and a videographer/editor.

His content can be boiled down to 6 categories:
  • Mini documentaries exploring a motorcycle or a motorcycle company (The death of Alta Motors, High revving 250cc 4 cylinder bikes from the 90's, The failure of the Rotary engine in motorcycles)
  • Gear videos (Best ____'s of 2022, Motorcycle airbags, why a lot of helmets use double D rings)
  • Motorcycle reviews very reminiscent of the old UK Top Gear.
  • Info videos (How to hypermile, carbs vs fuel injection, leaning the correct way)
  • Riding tips (Long haul touring tips, mods that are worth it, how to spot fake gear)
  • Test videos (Best type of oil filter, best chain lube, testing first service oil from multiple motorcycle brands)

He studied Art History and more importantly Physics in college so he know his stuff when it comes to the scientific and physics side of motorcycles, he even built a bespoke hydraulic test rig in his latest video to test the difference between paper, fiberglass and steel oil filters to find the best one. I will link the channel and the Oil Filter Video below.

Fortnine Youtube Channel

Old 22nd May 2022, 08:36   #26
Senior - BHPian

For India I primarily use Team-BHP and Autocar. carandbike has some exclusive stuff but their content is often error-prone IMO. ET Auto and Autocar Pro are interesting because they show the industry side of things more than the consumer/enthusiast side, often a reality check.

It's nice to know what's going on in other markets, especially ones similar to ours. I sometimes read carwow (UK), Paul Tan (Malaysia), cars.co.za (South Africa), AutoReview (Russia), and the Latin American Autoblog-Motor1 group publications. The built-in translate feature often comes in handy. I find Jalopnik too sarcastic for no reason and I've provisionally switched to Car and Driver.
Old 22nd May 2022, 10:35   #27
BHPian

Indian automotive mags/sites have been covered plenty here.

I would like to suggest consumer reports' vlog called 'talking cars'.
https://www.consumerreports.org/cars-talking-cars/

Admittedly, content is focused for the US market, but they cover car safety, automation, electric, reliability like no other, and with least conflict of interest - they are not funded by ads from car makers, have strong editors and are not 'community' driven - which can potentially be influenced. They don't cover car unveils and promo drives organized by manufacturers either. They actually hire or buy cars anonymously, and put them through longish (3+ months) assessments.

Think of their content as issues India should put in its personal transportation vision/roadmap.

Last edited by dust-n-bones : 22nd May 2022 at 10:39. Reason: added CR's review process.
dust-n-bones is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 23rd May 2022, 20:17   #28
BHPian

Like many here, I realized my attraction towards cars back in 2010. I must be around 10 at that time. I vividly remember it was a May 2010 edition of ACI, covering the Vento and had that infamous Vento disguised as a Fiesta test mule pictures. I used to follow them but not that frequent though in recent times. I occasionally watch some segment comparisons on their YouTube channel. It has been replaced by Team-BHP for sometime, now.

I also used to watch Fifth Gear, back when Discovery Turbo was available on my DTH network. Its basically Top Gear, sans the magic of satire by Jezza, Hamster and May. Carwow and Car Throttle are also good, though its more of UK centric.

Also, special mentions for Edd China and ChrisFix. While they aren't automotive news sources, they are more into restoration and repair work. Edd China used to be the co-host of Wheeler Dealers with Mike Brewer, for those who may not know. He also made a motorized sofa, road legal.

Old 23rd May 2022, 23:25   #29
SDx
BHPian

Here goes my list:

Sites
  • Team-BHP
  • Rushlane
  • Indiacarnews
YouTube Car reviews
  • Autocar India
  • MotorOctane
Old 24th May 2022, 15:47   #30

I spend majority of my time in TeamBHP. Even if I find some news through friends or other websites, I first search them in TeamBHP to find interesting and insightful discussions and in-depth reviews.

For me,

Sites:
- TeamBHP
- Reddit

Subscriptions:
- Autocar India

Youtube Channels:
- V3Cars (Variants Analysis)
- Faisal Khan (Reviews)
- Motoroids (News and Reviews)

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com