Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 7th May 2022, 00:43   #1
BHPian

Colleges for Arts in India, for a Nepali student

Hey everyone. One of my friends is from Nepal, did her 12th standard there, and after a hiatus of 2 years (after finishing school) is looking for undergraduate college courses in India, specifically in the south. Her family is based in Mumbai and would prefer she stay either there or nearby, like Pune or maybe Bangalore (not necessarily limited to one of those cities, but you get the idea).

She is interested in studying a humanities or social sciences course, for instance English or history or sociology. Her 11th and 12th subjects were in the arts as well. I have very little knowledge of undergraduate education in India, but I figured some people here may have a fairly good idea.

What colleges and what courses in which colleges are known to be good? What places have good English departments? History departments? As she is a freelance artist (and wishes to continue making art), her interest is less in placement or reputation, and more in learning via taking interesting classes and having stimulating professors and classmates.
Old 7th May 2022, 01:45   #2
BHPian

re: Colleges for Arts in India, for a Nepali student

Looks like her real passion is being an artist.

I have scant idea about humanities or art being a life long science/math nerd. But I remember reading some where that Sir J J school of art in Mumbai is the best of the best.
JediKnight is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 7th May 2022, 03:51   #3
Senior - BHPian

Srishti in Bangalore for art and design.
v1p3r is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 7th May 2022, 12:27   #4
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by JediKnight View Post
Looks like her real passion is being an artist.

I have scant idea about humanities or art being a life long science/math nerd. But I remember reading some where that Sir J J school of art in Mumbai is the best of the best.
Yes the JJ School is very renowned. Also extremely competitive to get into I imagine. But she is more interested in studying the humanities (literature, philosophy, history et al), not so much art.

Quote:
Originally Posted by v1p3r View Post
Srishti in Bangalore for art and design.
I did look into this as I had heard about this college. But looks like all the undergraduate courses are design or visual media or communication type courses. Unfortunately not quite what she's looking for.

Thanks for the suggestions to both of you.
karanddd is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th May 2022, 14:29   #5
BHPian

You can also look at Indian Institute of Human Settlements based out of Bangalore

https://iihs.co.in/teaching-learning...rban-practice/
Old 7th May 2022, 15:28   #6
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by karanddd View Post
I did look into this as I had heard about this college. But looks like all the undergraduate courses are design or visual media or communication type courses. Unfortunately not quite what she's looking for.
Yes, Srishti is exclusively for design.

I would look seriously at Ashoka University. It's outside of Delhi, but it is currently India's premier university for the humanities and social sciences.
v1p3r is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th May 2022, 18:51   #7
Distinguished - BHPian

Lady Shriram College for Arts and Commerce, New Delhi and Hindu College, New Delhi, have always topped the list among those offering such courses, especially arts.

And talking about South, Madras Christian College and Loyola College, Chennai and Christ University, Bangalore are quite reputed.

Symbiosis College of Arts and Commerce, Pune, is also excellent. Pune as a city is an excellent educational hub, perhaps among the top in India. Having had many near and dear ones study here and make out excellent careers for themselves, Pune is quite a preferred destination by many, for education.

Please view this link for a list of the top institutions by Outlook India magazine.

https://www.outlookindia.com/magazin...of-arts/304841

India Today also comes out with such a list every year, but I am unable to locate their 2021 list for arts colleges. Hopefully you may await the 2022 list from these two reputed magazines that may be of help. These normally get released around June. Mid-2021 was the pandemic time and schedules for them went haywire.

Last edited by anjan_c2007 : 7th May 2022 at 18:52.
anjan_c2007 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 7th May 2022, 19:03   #8
BHPian

I’d say take a look at FLAME University in Pune. They have an amazing campus and are quite popular for social sciences. I would rate them only second behind Ashoka University.

One added advantage with FLAME as compared to Ashoka or the like is the access to Pune city. It’s a 15 minute drive from the FLAME university campus to Pune city, so you are not completely secluded.

Another aspect to consider is safety and student culture which I feel is much better at FLAME then most other universities in the country. The crowd is a little elite but that has its advantages as well as disadvantages.
Pratyush2407 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th May 2022, 19:48   #9
AYP
Senior - BHPian

Do have a look at the School of Humanities in Manipal. I took an elective of Humanities in the 6th semester of my engineering amd I got to say, it was the best course of my entire engineering .

The teachers were very nice and they also had international teachers.
Old 7th May 2022, 20:50   #10
BHPian

Some colleges that are worth looking into in Mumbai:

Jai Hind College

St. Xavier's College

Narsee Monjee

NMIMS Mumbai
RohaNN_kWh is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th May 2022, 09:49   #11
BHPian

Abhinav kala mahavidyalay under Savitribai Phule University in Pune is another renowned college.

Along with courses in Fine Arts, which it is known for, it also offers course in Humanities I believe.
Old 8th May 2022, 11:06   #12
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by karanddd View Post
What colleges and what courses in which colleges are known to be good? What places have good English departments? History departments? As she is a freelance artist (and wishes to continue making art), her interest is less in placement or reputation, and more in learning via taking interesting classes and having stimulating professors and classmates.
I think she has to first decide on which art, humanities or fine arts.

It will be extremely hard to straddle both in most Indian colleges, as the focus of each stream is very different. The choices of electives is not that good, so that you can mix both.

If she picks fine arts, then there will be intense competition because it has practically become a professional course these days.

The humanities will be easier to get into in comparison. As AYP mentioned, Manipal has good humanities course. In Bangalore, the good old National College had excellent department in humanities.
Old 8th May 2022, 11:19   #13
BHPian

In Pune, Symbiosis is really good. A friend of mine who was from Nepal did BCom in SCAC, and the experience was very good there. Also, the Symbiosis campuses in Lavale, Vimanagar and SB Road are really good with good facilities including good hostels.
Old 8th May 2022, 12:55   #14
Senior - BHPian

She can look at one of those law schools if she is looking for a degree and do free lancing on the side. The 5 year LL B has plenty of options from humanities. Symbiosis, is a premier institute.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AYP View Post
Do have a look at the School of Humanities in Manipal. I took an elective of Humanities in the 6th semester of my engineering amd I got to say, it was the best course of my entire engineering .

The teachers were very nice and they also had international teachers.
Was about to suggest this.
Besides, Manipal is in South India. Pune is not. Lol.
Old 9th May 2022, 08:51   #15
BHPian

Re: Colleges for Arts in India, for a Nepali student

My elder daughter is completing her BA Sociology at Ashoka Univ this year, and my youger daughter is studying Design at Shristi in Banglaore.

Both my wife and I have a Humanities background, and we had done quite a bit of research for our daughters college education.

List worth considering as follows :

Liberal Arts Colleges in India :
- Ashoka University , Sonepat
- Symbiosis, Pune
- Flame , Pune
- Krea University, Sri City AP
- Christ Church , Bangalore
- Azeem Premji University , Bangalore

Design :
- NID Ahmedabad
- Srishti Manipal, Bangalore
- JJ School , Mumbai

Fine Art :
Almost every city has a government fine arts college
JJ has a good name still.
Amongst the established Art Colleges, Kolkata, Baroda and Delhi have a good name.

You can DM me if you have specific queries.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks