Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 26th April 2022, 17:37   #31
Senior - BHPian

re: Elon Musk offers to buy Twitter for US$ 41 billion. EDIT: Acquires Twitter for $44 billion

Elon Musk has finally set the blue bird free

Name:  FRNldOlWYAEVExJ.jpeg
Views: 380
Size:  53.0 KB

https://twitter.com/MikeDulaimi/stat...4lk5JErXA&s=08

Interesting graphics, isn't it?
myavu is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 26th April 2022, 20:33   #32
Senior - BHPian

re: Elon Musk offers to buy Twitter for US$ 41 billion. EDIT: Acquires Twitter for $44 billion

Stock market noob here, how can someone buy all the share of a publically listed company, what if someone doesn't want to sell his share?
giri1.8 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th April 2022, 12:09   #33
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by giri1.8 View Post
Stock market noob here, how can someone buy all the shares of a publicly listed company, what if someone doesn't want to sell his share?
Well, every listed company has its own Board of Directors that takes decisions about that company. If the majority of the board members vote for selling the company, that decision has to be approved by other shareholders who have voting rights. They may approve or reject the sale if they think the offer is below their valuation of the company. However the voting right of every shareholder is proportional to his share in the paid up equity capital of the company.
CarNerd is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 27th April 2022, 12:24   #34
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ValarMorghulis View Post
He can literally ban anyone (with few guidelines) or any country with zero pushback as free speech directive isn't valid for private organizations. Interesting times...
Well, He will have to be careful about how he handles this power. After all he is but one man. A bullet is all it takes regardless of how many billions you have in the bank.

He claims to be a free speech absolutist. So I doubt if he will ban anyone unless the government forces him to. In the states, that won't be easy.
Old 27th April 2022, 12:27   #35
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Stock market noob here, how can someone buy all the share of a publically listed company, what if someone doesn't want to sell his share?
If the board approved share sales by the majority, everyone will have to surrender else these become paper (no value) This is per my limited understanding
Turbanator is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 27th April 2022, 12:56   #36
One
BHPian

Quote:
Think of public companies like a democracy - whatever the majority decides (within the parameters of law of course just like a democracy) has to be followed . Minority shareholder(s) can go to court opposing the sale but the onus is on them to prove why the sale/ proposed decision is a bad idea.

The analogy of public company like a democratic government has many interesting and thought provoking facets - being outvoted, populism through quarterly results, compliances,
key allies, competition, hostile bids etc. The biggest difference though is that their form of money collection is not taxes but sales and sales has to be driven by customer wallets.
One is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 27th April 2022, 21:31   #37
Distinguished - BHPian

Henrik Fisker's Twitter Account Gone After Elon Musk Buys Platform

"I do not want my free speech to be actively managed or controlled by a competitor," Fisker later explained the move on Instagram.
volkman10 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th April 2022, 21:52   #38
Senior - BHPian

However good Elon Musk's intention might be in buying Twitter, I shudder to think of the consequences of so much power being acquired and vested in a single individual.

The manner in which Musk and his friends coerced Twitter to sell itself reminds me of numerous instances of the real estate mafia landing up in small minor individual / independent houses and forcing - by hook or crook - the owners to let go of their rights.

The day when Twitter starts speaking in Musk's lingo and reflecting his own beliefs isn't too far.
dailydriver is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 27th April 2022, 22:37   #39
BHPian

Quote:
I don't know about USA but in India, I think you have to get back around 87.5% of shares from the Shareholders to 'delist' a publicly traded company. So a general offer price has to be made and a defined period is allowed. If it gets favorable response meeting the threshold, the company is allowed to delist if not they have to continue to be traded publicly. If I remember correctly, Vedanta lost the battle to delist recently.

Now coming back to the topic, more than business, the focus is on the conduct (past & future) of the company. It shows the world we are living in. I am more keen on how Twitter India continues its court battles after repeated flip flops over their arguments about (selective) post removal and account banning. I think in the last hearing a month ago, when they told that they cannot ban users, even court asked how did they ban Trump in USA for which there was no answer.

Finally, my view is that there is nothing called as 'Free speech' and this myth is propagated for too long. The real limit for anyone is at best 'Free thinking' and beyond it, once it comes out, it will always be a subject of other's reaction to it. Oops, I crossed my own 'Free thinking' line
thanixravindran is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 27th April 2022, 22:57   #40
BHPian

A day old but still relevant -

Name:  20220426_114048.jpg
Views: 317
Size:  31.4 KB

I still don't know why I find this funny -

Elon Musk offers to buy Twitter for US$ 41 billion. EDIT: Acquires Twitter for  billion-screenshot_20220426224618_twitter.jpg
Old 27th April 2022, 23:08   #41
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by V.Narayan View Post
July 1945 with the advent of the atomic bomb. It took three decades for various global regulation measures like NPT, SALT I and II, MTCR etc to come in place. I suspect over the next decade we will see Indian, European & Chinese versions of Twitter, Instagram, FaceBook etc spawn with Govt regulation around them. I'm not getting into a right or wrong discussion just stating what I see coming.
I agree with everything you have stated, only I think that a more appropriate example here would be the average American's easy access to guns instead of the atomic bomb.
Old 28th April 2022, 12:51   #42
Senior - BHPian

Amul has something to say too!
Attached Thumbnails
Elon Musk offers to buy Twitter for US$ 41 billion. EDIT: Acquires Twitter for  billion-elon.jpg  

RM Motorsports is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 28th April 2022, 12:56   #43
Senior - BHPian

Really Musk?

Elon Musk offers to buy Twitter for US$ 41 billion. EDIT: Acquires Twitter for  billion-img_20220428_124237.jpg

Link

If not for himself, at least for the sake of Tesla's shareholders, this gentleman should tweet with a little more care and caution.
dailydriver is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 28th April 2022, 13:09   #44
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dailydriver View Post
Really Musk?
If not for himself, at least for the sake of Tesla's shareholders, this gentleman should tweet with a little more care and caution.
All this is just a façade. Musk cares more about Tesla stock value than shareholders. He has taken a loan on Tesla stock for buying Twitter.
If the Tesla stock value falls by 40% he will have to sell them and there is no way he is doing that.

All these tweets are part of his "image".
ValarMorghulis is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 29th April 2022, 10:27   #45
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by dailydriver View Post
Really Musk?
Parag is still the boss until the transfer of ownership is complete. So he could ban Musk until that.

But here is the real heart of the matter. This is a turning point for the Left, and the freedom they enjoyed in shaping the dominant social media narrative, despite being a fringe minority.
Quote:
Perhaps the most curious thing about the doomsday narrative on the liberal Left is this. They are not worried that Elon Musk will stifle the voices of people on Twitter. They worry about the opposite, that Musk might allow everyone to be heard. They fear that he might turn out to be a ‘free speech absolutist’. They say it like it is a bad thing.
Full article is here.
Samurai is offline   (10) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks