Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 20th November 2022, 11:35   #391
Senior - BHPian

Re: Elon Musk offers to buy Twitter for US$ 41 billion. EDIT: Acquires Twitter for $44 billion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
His twitter follower count is down to 1.1 Million? What happened?
Probably a lot of people unfollowed him during the period he was suspended.

Edit: it is up to nearly 6M now.

Last edited by binand : 20th November 2022 at 11:46.
binand is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 20th November 2022, 12:37   #392
BHPian

Re: Elon Musk offers to buy Twitter for US$ 41 billion. EDIT: Acquires Twitter for $44 billion

Quote:
Originally Posted by dragracer567 View Post
Look who’s back! I’ll be honest, he’s among my least favourite politicians but his tweets are really entertaining, especially if you aren’t actually American!
I fail to understand why we take US & UK politics so seriously? I see Indians tweeting in support of and against Trump coming back to Twitter while ignoring larger issues we are facing at our homefront! Especially Indian right wingers who are supporting Trump thinking that US Right is equivalent to Indian Right whereas it is almost opposite.
I am mostly indifferent to it but I do recognise that US can influence world events and economy.

I recently started following Elon Musk solely for the entertainment and shock quotient
neeraj0272 is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 20th November 2022, 13:59   #393
Team-BHP Support

We don't discuss Indian politics because it breaks the forum rules. Even in US politics members are advised to tread lightly.
Samurai is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 20th November 2022, 14:03   #394
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by neeraj0272 View Post
Especially Indian right wingers who are supporting Trump thinking that US Right is equivalent to Indian Right

I recently started following Elon Musk solely for the entertainment and shock quotient
Probably OT but yeah, one of my besties who lives in US is a hard-core rightwinger when it comes to Indian politics but was majorly anti Trump. On the other hand the Indian right wingers just love Trump. Identity politics is a slippery slope if you dont belong to the prominent identity.

I have been active in Twitter only recently coinciding with the Musk takeover. Now I don't know much about running a tech company but the guy surely knows audience engagement. Need to see if it works for the company in the long run.
Old 20th November 2022, 14:16   #395
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by binand View Post
Probably a lot of people unfollowed him during the period he was suspended.

Edit: it is up to nearly 6M now.
Some one even asked the followers to be restored as on the day of suspension
thanixravindran is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th November 2022, 14:21   #396
BHPian

Quote:
Especially Indian right wingers who are supporting Trump thinking that US Right is equivalent to Indian Right whereas it is almost opposite.
Without getting too much into political details, Trump was beneficial to India as he was keeping both the hostile neighbors of India in check. The current US government is too soft on them and do more virtue signaling towards India and its domestic policies.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 400notout View Post
Probably OT but yeah, one of my besties who lives in US is a hard-core rightwinger when it comes to Indian politics but was majorly anti Trump. On the other hand the Indian right wingers just love Trump. Identity politics is a slippery slope if you dont belong to the prominent identity.
The western definition of right wing and left wing do not apply to India. In western world, right wing is associated with conservatives where as Indian right wingers are far more progressive than so called Indian left wingers.

Also there are more communists on internet in India than actually in India.
how_you_doing is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 20th November 2022, 14:43   #397
Distinguished - BHPian

Drama begins as Trump snubs Twitter after Musk announces reactivation of ex-president's account

Quote:
Donald Trump said he had no interest in returning to Twitter even as a slim majority voted in favor of reinstating the former U.S. President, who was banned from the social media service for inciting violence, in a poll organized by new owner Elon Musk.
Link

Last edited by volkman10 : 20th November 2022 at 14:45.
volkman10 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 20th November 2022, 20:07   #398
BHPian

Quote:
I fail to understand why we take US & UK politics so seriously? I see Indians tweeting in support of and against Trump coming back to Twitter while ignoring larger issues we are facing at our homefront! Especially Indian right wingers who are supporting Trump thinking that US Right is equivalent to Indian Right whereas it is almost opposite.
I am mostly indifferent to it but I do recognise that US can influence world events and economy.

Will tread lightly given the (well-needed) restrictions on political discussions.

The reason we focus on US/UK politics is because they directly affect our lives, not just American or British citizens. Everything from their monetary policy to whether they decide to invade a new country tomorrow ( ) will directly impact our daily lives. So, it’s obvious that there would be an undue focus on American and British politics not only in India but pretty much everywhere in the world. As India gets more powerful and important, we should expect increased focus on Indian politics by foreigners as well. Also helps that the predominantly English language media in these countries allow the rest of the world to follow their politics more easily as well (difficult for France or Germany for example).

Last edited by Axe77 : 21st November 2022 at 04:39. Reason: Minor typo
dragracer567 is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 20th November 2022, 20:24   #399
BHPian

Quote:
Especially Indian right wingers who are supporting Trump thinking that US Right is equivalent to Indian Right whereas it is almost opposite.
I'll try this without stepping out of line. Yes, Indian right wing has no similarities with American right wing. But, our current dispensation and the erstwhile Trump administration share a common political philosophy - Majoritarian Populism - which is in many ways in loggerheads with traditional conservative (aka right wing) politics.
Old 20th November 2022, 21:03   #400
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 400notout View Post
Probably OT but yeah, one of my besties who lives in US is a hard-core rightwinger when it comes to Indian politics but was majorly anti Trump.
Oh, your bestie is definitely not alone as I have come across many others with similar thought process. That phenomenon can be very easily explained - when it comes to Trump, the boot will be on the other foot. As simple as that
jraj is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 20th November 2022, 22:14   #401
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by how_you_doing View Post
The western definition of right wing and left wing do not apply to India. In western world, right wing is associated with conservatives where as Indian right wingers are far more progressive than so called Indian left wingers.
I don’t think there is such a western definition of left and right wing. It is all very relative and differs really per country.

Left in the USA is different from left in the UK which is different from left in the Netherlands. Similar for right wing. And we also need to distinguish between the more extremes on both the right and the left.

If you would look at a more average/moderate left- right wing orientation USA to Europe you would probably find that what the Americans call left wing, is likely to be considered pretty right wing in Europe.

There are some fundamental difference between the USA and most Western European countries. Most Americans, bit the majority of left and right wing do not like to give to much responsibility to the government. A good example is healthcare. You would be hard pressed to find any political party in Europe that believe healthcare and thus healthcare cost is first and foremost a personal responsibility. Left wing American will tell you the vulnerable and not well to do in society need access to proper healthcare. But in principle they agree with the right it is everyone own responsibility.

In the west that is never ever a discussion. Health care needs to be available to all. How you make that available is purely a funding question on how much rich people need to contribute to help out less fortunate people wh also contribute financially by the way.

Many politcial right/left topics in the USA are far more fundamental than in the west I believe. The average American, left or right, has no idea how other systems work. Neither do Western of course. Unless you have lived for while in these different countries it is difficult to really grasp in how different their respective approaches are.

We lived in the USA for almost four years and it was a real eye opener for us. Whereas my kids would call me a conservative right wing old git, all of my American friends would call me a leftwing looney!

It’s all a matter of perspective. But right and and left wing political believes are very fluid and, in my experience, very much determined by the country you are looking at. Not saying that left or right is better, or any country is better. These are just unique traits.

Jeroen
Jeroen is offline   (15) Thanks
Old 20th November 2022, 23:14   #402
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by One View Post
You wrote the post out (irrespective of whether it came from a source or not) it's not a forward, whether true or not shouldn't matter - it is as credible as other posts before it or after it.
I don't agree. If not true, then it needs to be clearly called out as opinion or conjecture or rumor and not as fact.

There are several factual errors in the quoted post. The Cybertruck being production ready is an example. There are others, which I'm not going to debate for the sake of brevity.

There is no harm in giving opinion but it should not be masked as insider information or fact. Else this place will become a hub of misinformation very quickly.
digitalnirvana is online now   (4) Thanks
Old 21st November 2022, 00:50   #403
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by digitalnirvana View Post
I don't agree. If not true, then it needs to be clearly called out as opinion or conjecture or rumor and not as fact.
Not to put to fine a point about this, but we probably have a billion posts on this very forum which are opinions without it being mentioned by the respective poster.

The notion of facts being called out on the Internet is just naive. My facts are somebody else’s opinion and vice versa. When you are on the Internet it takes some degree of common sense who and what to believe.

No amount of rules, regulations or putting out opinion, conjecture, facts is going to change that.

Mind you that is just my opinion, posted on the Internet, so if I were you I would completely ignore it.

Jeroen

Last edited by Axe77 : 21st November 2022 at 04:37. Reason: Minor typos.
Jeroen is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 21st November 2022, 06:31   #404
BHPian

Quote:

There are several factual errors in the quoted post. The Cybertruck being production ready is an example. There are others, which I'm not going to debate for the sake of brevity.

There is no harm in giving opinion but it should not be masked as insider information or fact. Else this place will become a hub of misinformation very quickly.
I saw the actual quoted post clearly called out it as conjecture not once but twice. So where is the problem of becoming hub of misinformation here? Just take it for whatever its worth. And please highlight if there are contradictions, misinformation or blatant lies and it will help people like me.
thanixravindran is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st November 2022, 08:41   #405
One
BHPian

Quote:

I agree with you completely, but in the context of the post which starts with

Quote:
Originally Posted by harshaguduru View Post
Gossip and Facts from an Insiders perspective:

At the outset let me be honest that I did not want to share this today and rather wait for a few days to verify the authenticity. However, my urge to share on T-Bhp has gotten the better of me and hopefully can add more to this as the events unfold.....

.....I also can't confirm the authenticity of this because of the amount of fluff and rumour out there and would advise everyone reading this to treat this as conjecture pending an official statement
and ends with...

Quote:
I repeat all of this maybe conjecture and I am not going to defend or counter this. This was told to me and I am sharing here.
both of us are probably in consensus that the poster has clearly called it out and my reply is in that context.

To your point on the post having factual errors (like Cybertruck being production really), I personally try to read and listen to things again in context rather than the words themselves.

What I want to write, what I eventually write and what you read might be different things (which might have been an issue if we were reporting news which is not the case here).

In the context of OPs line

Quote:
but with the challenges at his other ventures related to starship/cybertruck there was no time.
Why 2022: 2 reasons: 1 time availability with starship ready for orbital launch and cybertruck ready for production his inputs are no longer engineering intensive and he is at core a product guy.
I just read it as "Musk has more time because the big development related questions are no longer consuming his time". Other factual errors are treated in the same vein.

The OP has started the post with "Gossip", highlighted this is conjecture, ended his post with the same point and I am fine with reading everything in that post keeping that context in mind.

Like I said, if the context had been medical space like COVID, I would have a different opinion but here, it's totally fine/ safe and even Musk might enjoy reading it if fiction and appreciate it if non-fiction.

In the same vein, if I were to read your post in isolation without the context of the original post we are discussing, I completely agree with you. In fact I agree with you more than you yourself . Equally, if i read my line of "whether true or not should not matter" (to which you replied) in isolation, I will not agree with myself!

"Context" is my English equivalent of Bhagavad Geeta

Last edited by One : 21st November 2022 at 08:51.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks