Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 20th June 2008, 20:56   #1246
rippergeo

Sat down and watched Garden State(zak braff,natalie portman) again. Love it. A bit mushy. some people may think its a slow movie, but I think its perfect. have a look at imdb reviews before you watch it.

would be nice to watch similar movies. any suggestions?

Old 20th June 2008, 22:10   #1247
BHPian

Some good movies that I've seen recently

Definitely, Maybe (2008)

I usually don't like romantic movies, but this one was very good. 7/10

What Happens in Vegas (2008)

Ashton & Cameron make a lovely couple together and are very good in this romantic comedy. 7/10

In Bruges (2008)

This movie took me by suprise as I did not read anything about it before I watched it. Although a bit slow in the begining, it was worth the watch. Colin is especially good. 8/10

Semi-Pro (2008)

Not a big fan of Will Ferrell, but it was good fun. 7/10
Old 21st June 2008, 00:17   #1248
Senior - BHPian

De Taali

Another comedy ! It's about 3 friends (2 guys and 1 girl) and what happens when one of the guys falls in love with a girl.

Well how is the movie ? It's got a thin story line and is senseless most of the time. A series of gags is what keeps the proceedings going. And it's here the cast lifts the movie.

Ritesh, Aftab, Rimi and Ayesha are very good. A few gags will have you rolling with laughter but over all the movie is mediocre. And it is extended - with stories on Rimi's family (the most weird family to date) and some nutty professors and lovers. Also the track of Ritesh's landlord could have been edited.

Verdict - 2/5. Watch it only if want to enjoy a few laughs.

ps - a couple of scenes to watch out for are - the scene where Ritesh fights with an imaginary guy and the scene in which Aftab goes " tum mere liye roti thiii" after the boardroom meeting.

Last edited by normally_crazy : 21st June 2008 at 00:19.
Old 21st June 2008, 00:40   #1249
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rippergeo View Post
Sat down and watched Garden State(zak braff,natalie portman) again. Love it. A bit mushy. some people may think its a slow movie, but I think its perfect. have a look at imdb reviews before you watch it.
would be nice to watch similar movies. any suggestions?
Excellent Movie! One of my favorite independent movies -- they got the cast and the story down perfect. Simplicity in everything really works! It has a great soundtrack too.

Similar movies (IMHO, in terms of the general feel-good factor, and not so much in terms of the story):
- Winter Passing
- New York Waiting
- All the Real Girls
- Broken Flowers
- Elizabethtown (again, great soundtrack)
- The Notebook
- Almost Famous
- A Lot Like Love (not soooooo much this type, but a good Romantic Movie nonetheless)
- Before Sunset and Before Sunrise (last, but not the least!)

I'd love to see more of this kind too!
Old 21st June 2008, 00:45   #1250
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hydrashok View Post
I'd love to see more of this kind too!
This feeling has a lot to do with the fact that you're getting married soon, I'm sure!
Old 21st June 2008, 01:03   #1251
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steeroid View Post
This feeling has a lot to do with the fact that you're getting married soon, I'm sure!
Hee hee hee, definitely!
Old 21st June 2008, 02:05   #1252
Senior - BHPian

The Incredible Hulk

I havent seen the earlier movie which came out 3 to 4 years ago, had just seen a few scenes from the film. In that movie I always felt the Hulk was too big and looked a little bit too animated. I have been a Hulk fan right since I was a kid and grew up watching the animated series so I only have that for comparison.

This 2008 movie gives you a very realistic feel. The size of the Hulk is just right and doesnt feel animated. The action sequences are something to watch out for (Lotsa Humvees shown smashed around) and yes the new mutated creature introduced in the second half is awesome. The ending sequences are all action between the two monsters and do seem confusing at times just like the ending part of Transformers where you dont know whats going on. Its easier to watch in this movie since there are only two characters involved and not a bunch of robots. The transformations from Banner to the Hulk are done well too. Do not miss the last scene. That shows we have a sequel coming soon and my guess is it will have Iron Man and the Hulk together on screen.

Edward Norton does a good job as Dr Bruce Banner. Liv Tyler as Betty Ross plays her part well though she has nothing much to do, but she looks old now. The rest of the cast are good as well. The Hulk's voice is given by the same guy who gave his voice for the ainmated series and yes you have got the famous "HULK SMASH" line as well.

If you are fan of this legendary Marvel Super Hero do not miss it. Its worth a watch. Anyways I dont see anything great in the Hindi releases this week.

Last edited by Dippy : 21st June 2008 at 02:07.
Old 21st June 2008, 09:55   #1253
Senior - BHPian

@Gautam Bhai - Is it true that De taali is copy of an English flick??? Thats what i had heard .

EDIT :Acc. to Rajeev Masand ( IBN) its ripped off from Saving silverman.

Last edited by karanraheja : 21st June 2008 at 10:05.
Old 21st June 2008, 10:19   #1254
BHPian

Anyone watched Dasavatharam? Awesome movie, Fantastic performance by Kamal Haasan. But if you dont understand Tamil then you might not understand the gist of it.
Old 21st June 2008, 10:22   #1255
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by karanraheja View Post
@Gautam Bhai - Is it true that De taali is copy of an English flick??? Thats what i had heard .

EDIT :Acc. to Rajeev Masand ( IBN) its ripped off from Saving silverman.
Which movie is not a copy from an english flick. I think that count would be very very rare
Old 21st June 2008, 16:20   #1256
Team-BHP Support

Hulk was awwwwwwsssssoooooommmmeeee
I love Marvel Superhero movies.
I wish there was more of Superman around. He is the best superhero to date.
Old 22nd June 2008, 04:59   #1257
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dippy View Post
The Incredible Hulk
If you are fan of this legendary Marvel Super Hero do not miss it. Its worth a watch. Anyways I dont see anything great in the Hindi releases this week.
Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
Hulk was awwwwwwsssssoooooommmmeeee
I love Marvel Superhero movies.
I wish there was more of Superman around. He is the best superhero to date.

I cant believe you guys liked it that much!
I was NOT looking forward to seeing the movie - but ended up going since i didnt have much of a choice, and i was actually impressed for the first part of the movie. The cinematography was great.

However, about halfway through the movie got TERRIBLY corny.

Quote:
and yes you have got the famous "HULK SMASH" line as well.
...especially the above mentioned part which was the peak of the cornyness IMO

cya
R
Old 22nd June 2008, 05:11   #1258
Senior - BHPian

Last night I saw GET SMART. I did not expect it to be so much of a funny movie but it was mindblowing. The movie is 1 hour 50 mins long but never was there a point that was boring. It is basically a laugh at other James Bond movies where automatic doors open for no specific reason
Old 22nd June 2008, 11:12   #1259
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
...especially the above mentioned part which was the peak of the cornyness IMO
I guess those of us who are Hulk fans since we were kids enjoy it more than the others especially the line above
Old 23rd June 2008, 14:04   #1260
BHPian

Superhero movie - 6/10

It's ok, not a laugh riot as such.

Hyderabad Blues 2 - 8/10

I haven't seen the first part, not able to find it on the intraweb either, anybody got leads where to look for? A quick PM would help :P

Watching HB2 reminded me of a movie that I watched on Doordarshan about 7-8 years ago, I don't remember it all that well now, the movie was called Dollar Dreams, its about a bunch of friends from an Indian city(Hyderabad?) and the crazy dream to learn a bit of computers and head off to the US of A to make some money. Some would want to go, some want to stay in India, something like that, don't remember exactly. anybody seen it?
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks