Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 9th March 2008, 22:11   #721
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Proxima View Post
Saw 'The Godfather' today. Very good, although a bit long.
Awesome movie series. The best of all times!
Old 9th March 2008, 22:16   #722
Senior - BHPian

Recent viewings:
1. Wristcutters - A Love Story - Very offbeat, film festival kind of deep philosophical movie
2. Michael Clayton - Good but slow
3. Meet the Spartans - Please stay away. Utter crap.
4. Death Proof - Not my type of QT movie. Baseless and without point action
5. Evening - Again not really my type. Wife enjyed it though!
6. Honey - Girlie stuff. Nothing great to write home about

Now watching - The Hunting Party

Lined up - Atonement, Bombay to Bangkok, Dr Zhivago, One Flew Over the Cuckoos Nest, Some Like it Hot, Sunset Blvd...
Old 9th March 2008, 22:44   #723
Senior - BHPian

@Proxima, The Godfather gets even more enjoyable in repeated viewings. Lemme see if I can help with The Sting.

I just saw Juno. Quite a bit late, I know. Beautiful movie. I'm probably the really soppy kind, but the movie touched me quite a lot. And also gave me a real feel-good high in the end. I haven't watched Le Vie en Rose yet, and Marion Cotillard probably acted very well, but IMHO Ellen Page deserved the Best Actress Oscar for Juno..

I also liked the "atmosphere" of the movie and the soundtrack very very much.

Other movies I watched this week:

No Country For Old Men.
Good movie? YESSS! Best Movie? Not exactly. Javier Bardem deserved the Oscar. I'd be scared to be with him in the same building, let alone the same room. I just got the book and I'm reading it now. The Movies is very very faithful to the book, including the dialogues.

The Big Lebowski
Another Coen Brothers flick. Wanted to see it again after I saw NCOM. Dunno why. Good comedy. Very enjoyable. Really nice time-pass. I still don't get what the really BIG deal is about this movie.

Blood Simple
Yet another Coen Brothers movie. NCOM let to TBL and then to Blood Simple Really good watch. The best way to describe this movie is: the bodies pile up faster than they can be gotten rid of. Trying to get rid of one leads to the other. and then to the other. And so on. We watch and enjoy the confusion.

Cidade de Deus
4th or 5th time watch. Was reminded about it and craved to watch it for a week, courtesy Proxima and the Gangster movie list. Great, great movie about the slum "City of God" and of the rise and fall of the Gangs that ran the city, and of the young boy who watched it all, and immortalised it all on film.

Into The Wild
Written and Directed by Sean Penn. Nice, long movie. About a 20 something college grad who wants to see the world and voluntarily "disappears" after his graduation. He sets out on the road to see Alaska. He abandons his car when it stops running, burns all his money and sets out on the road to his destination the rough way. It takes him 2 years to reach Alaska. The movie is about the experiences he had and the people he met on the way. And what happens in Alaska. Based on a true story. It is a love-it-or-hate-it movie. I loved it. Not many might. Great soundtrack by Eddie Vedder.

Mr Brooks
Starring Kevin Kostner and (mmmmmmmm!) Demi Moore. She still looks GREAT! Movie is about a guy so addicted to killing he just can't stop. He has an alter ego that eggs him on to more and more. Till he commits a mistake. Lots of blood. Nice movie to pass the time

Meet Joe Black.
My favouritest (sic) movie. I've watched it a minimum of 15 times. If I'm down in the depths, I watch this movie, and I'm back to normal. It always works. (So you folks can guess how this last week was for me). Brad Pitt, Antony Hopkins, Marcia Gay Harden, Claire Forlani (I've never seen her in any other movie).

Quote:
Brad Pitt (Death): I can't believe you people. I come for you, and you want to stay, I let you stay and you want to go
Old 10th March 2008, 11:52   #724
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hydrashok View Post
@Proxima, The Godfather gets even more enjoyable in repeated viewings. Lemme see if I can help with The Sting.
Thanks Hydra, any help will be greatly appreciated. Your short reviews are very ueful indeed. I go to the CD\DVD shop with a list of movies on a piece of paper. First time I did that, the guy was taken aback. HEHEHEHE.

Do you use this to figure out which ones to watch? IMDb Top 250

There seem to be quite a few of them which I haven't even heard of. Are they in the other languages? Have you watched all the 250 from this list?

BTW, is the young don Corleone Al Pacino? EDIT: Yes, just found out through IMDb.

Last edited by Proxima : 10th March 2008 at 11:54.
Old 10th March 2008, 12:08   #725
BHPian

Quote:

Meet Joe Black.
My favouritest (sic) movie. I've watched it a minimum of 15 times. If I'm down in the depths, I watch this movie, and I'm back to normal. It always works. (So you folks can guess how this last week was for me). Brad Pitt, Antony Hopkins, Marcia Gay Harden, Claire Forlani (I've never seen her in any other movie).
What is favouritest (sic)?

Will watch it is it is good. Is it on similar lines to In the pursuit of happyness?
Old 10th March 2008, 13:54   #726
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
What is favouritest (sic)?
"(sic)" is just a way of indicating that you know the word (or usage) you used doesn't really exist and that you have twisted some word or words to express something (usually in a smartass way). "Favouritest" is not really English, but then there are times when you find English vocabulary lacking for putting to paper what you really feel, for want to express

Quote:
Will watch it is it is good. Is it on similar lines to In the pursuit of happyness?
Meet Joe Black is a really good movie. It is about what happens when Death visits a Tycoon to take his life (his time on earth is up). Death assumes the form of a guy who the tycoon's daughter found herself attracted to (without knowing this is advance). The Tycoon needs a few more days on earth, so Death obliges, but stays with him to keep an eye on him, and "collect" when the time comes. In between, love blossoms and the Tycoon fights off takeovers etc etc. I've left out quite a bit here, so the movie (esp. the first hour or so) is not spoilt for you. Pretty long movie at 3 hours, but very enjoyable. I can watch it again today and still enjoy. Watch it. You will enjoy it.

MJB is not all like the Pursuit of Happyness. Pursuit... is the scariest movie I ever saw. Put me into depression for a week. But I'd say it is a must watch for all of us guys, to set us right and get life into context. You never know about troubles in life until you go through them or somebody you can identify with go through them. Believe me, you will identify with Will Smith as he tries to just make a living and provide for his family. I'm at least 100 times more responsible with my money after watching that movie. Scaryyyyyyyy!

Quote:
Do you use this to figure out which ones to watch? IMDb Top 250

There seem to be quite a few of them which I haven't even heard of. Are they in the other languages? Have you watched all the 250 from this list?
About the IMDB Top 250, that is a great place to get movie recommendations. The list keeps changing as people vote, and sadly, as the average age of the voter (on IMDB) goes down, the quality of the list also goes down over time.

There are a lot of foreign language movies in that list, and you probably know most of those movies by their English names. Like Il Bruto, Il Cattivo etc Is The Good, The Bad, The Ugly. Shinchin no Samurai is the Seven Samurai. Etc Etc. If you've been into movies a long time, you'll have watched most of the movies in the list. I do have nearly all the movies in there (at least 80%), but no, I have not been able to watch all the movies in there yet. Availablilty is a big issue.

Another great way (on IMDB) to get recommendations is to visit the indivdual pages of the movies you've liked, and look at the "similar movies" displays on the bottom. This list is built by the registered visitors of IMDB and they are, well, 50% accurate (you'll get an idea of the declining quality of the Top 250 once you see the "Similar movie" recommendations). But you do get some great movie names from just browsing around there.

About The Sting, I'll PM you after the next weekend

Last edited by hydrashok : 10th March 2008 at 14:05.
Old 10th March 2008, 14:06   #727
Senior - BHPian

The best little whorehouse in texas

Dolly Parton
Burt Reynolds

beautifulllll movie.
Old 10th March 2008, 20:42   #728
BHPian

saw four movies till now this week

1. 'The Darjeeling Limited"
Its about three brothers who come to India on a spiritual trip so that they could improve their own relationships with each other. Owen wilson and adrien brody play two of those brothers. Well i can only say that i was extremely annoyed and frustrated after watching this movie. Its basically a comedy movie but looks like the director made more fun of India rather that making a funny movie.The way they have portrayed India in this movie, it looks like no one can imagine living in india(it looked worse that Afganistan). I just dont know when these hollywood directors will change their attitude towards india. Its a pathetic movie and owen wilson was irritating to say the least.
rating 3.5/10

2.'Cloverfield'
Nice movie to enjoy if you are a monster movie fan. Fans of 'the blair witch project' are in for a special treat. This movie is filmed in a documentary style and its about bunch of friends who struggle to survive while their city is under attack by huge (sea?) monsters. However i would advice to watch this movie twice in order to completely understand the movie. People who dont like shaky cameras should avoid this movie.
rating 6.5/10

3. 'The bourne ultimatum'
'Wow' this movie rocks! Its the best bourne movie without a doubt and the action scenes are absolutely breathtaking. Its a pretty fast paced action movie and there's never a dull moment. Just make sure you have enough popcorns and drinks with you to thoroughly enjoy this movie. Its one of the best action movie of year 2007. And the cars are amazing too!
rating 9/10

4.'3:10 to Yuma'
if you want to enjoy this movie just shut you mind and dont try to be reasonable with what is shown. If you can do that you can definately enjoy this movie. Honestly its the actors which are more responsible to carry this movie forward but somehow i felt that action scenes left much to be desired and it lacked the stylised action which western cowboys movies are famous for. But its a good one time watch movie and acting is topclass.
rating 8/10

next in line 'The Mist'.
Old 10th March 2008, 22:07   #729
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashish22 View Post
saw four movies till now this week

1. 'The Darjeeling Limited"
Its about three brothers who come to India on a spiritual trip so that they could improve their own relationships with each other. Owen wilson and adrien brody play two of those brothers. Well i can only say that i was extremely annoyed and frustrated after watching this movie. Its basically a comedy movie but looks like the director made more fun of India rather that making a funny movie.The way they have portrayed India in this movie, it looks like no one can imagine living in india(it looked worse that Afganistan). I just dont know when these hollywood directors will change their attitude towards india. Its a pathetic movie and owen wilson was irritating to say the least.
rating 3.5/10
Thats actually just the director's style. If you saw The Royal Tennenbaums you'll see similarities in the two movies. His movies tend to have a slight dark style to it and I would say the movie is far from being pathetic.
Old 11th March 2008, 17:02   #730
BHPian

thanks Hydra. MJB is next on my list.

Quote:
About The Sting, I'll PM you after the next weekend
No problemo!!
Old 11th March 2008, 17:19   #731
BHPian

Anybody out here see any Pixar movies ?
My favourite is "Monsters INC." & "Finding Nemo"
Simply Beautiful.

P.S. - I have a 3 yr old daughter.
Old 11th March 2008, 17:28   #732
BHPian

Quote:
but then there are times when you find English vocabulary lacking for putting to paper what you really feel, for want to express
Even a certain William Shakespeare once said - "That was the most unkindest cuts of all!"

Sorry for OT!
Old 11th March 2008, 17:44   #733
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayurpalav View Post
Anybody out here see any Pixar movies ?
My favourite is "Monsters INC." & "Finding Nemo"
Simply Beautiful.

P.S. - I have a 3 yr old daughter.
Btw, what is a pixar movie? is it slightly better graphic oriented than cartoon movies?
Old 11th March 2008, 17:47   #734
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobike008 View Post
Btw, what is a pixar movie? is it slightly better graphic oriented than cartoon movies?
Pixar is an amimation studio. They made movies like Finding Nemo, Toy Story and The Incredibles, just to name a few.

They are responsible for revolutionizing the Hollywood Animation industry.

It was started by Lucasfilm and then bought over by Steve Jobs (Apple) and currently belongs to Disney.
Old 11th March 2008, 17:49   #735
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam Kapasi View Post
Pixar is an amimation studio. They made movies like Finding Nemo, Toy Story and The Incredibles, just to name a few.

They are responsible for revolutionizing the Hollywood Animation industry.

It was started by Lucasfilm and then bought over by Steve Jobs (Apple) and currently belongs to Disney.

Thanks sam, i recently started playing Ratchet & Clank-Tools of Destruction on PS3 and many gamers compared it to a pixar movie, so i was kind of wondering all this while.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks