Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 7th February 2009, 11:36   #2581
Distinguished - BHPian

Watched " Dev D" last night and probably i am the first guy on this thread who didn't like it even though i am a big fan of off-beat movies.

Abhay Deol was fantastic and is best in these type of movies. Mahi is super super hot and Kalki's got a nice pout and girlish charm.

The pace of the story is too languid and much time is spent showing Abhay drinking and snorting. Photography in some places is shaky and a pain to your eyes but most part captured the other side of Delhi beautifully. It's too explicit in some scenes and dialogues and could be quite uncomfortable for family audiences.

Also, it's way too long and for once i think maybe this movie is a bit too heavy even for the multiplex crowd, i saw many people walking out of the theatre and just couldn't take such a weird way of story telling which is so unique to bollywood.

Music is awesome, and you can go watch it only for " emosional atyachar"...i am seriously contemplating of having that as my caller-tune

2.5/5
Old 8th February 2009, 00:36   #2582
BHPian

I also watched Dev D last night.

Reviews have already been published here. So, i would not go there.

A very Anurag Kashyap movie

Abhay Deol was alright. He is not a great actor IMO, i was not expecting much of him. He did alright.

Mahi Gill was my favourite one in the movie.

Kalki was pretty good too. A very theatre type actress she is. Has amazing lips

Quite liked the movie !
Old 8th February 2009, 01:19   #2583
BHPian

Just finished watching the movie " Pursuit of Happiness " starring will smith. A great movie ..must watch.

Would rate 4 on 5.
Old 8th February 2009, 09:34   #2584
Senior - BHPian

Watched Dev D & I simply Loved it.

Yay NC & Dippy for a change I agree with your review

The emosnal atyachar song is awesome with everyone whistling & clapping in the theater.

The newcomers are good & Abhay Deol is Briiliant but like they said on MTV is he trying to maintain a size zero? I hope it was only for this film else he should refrain from removing his T.

Overall enjoyed the movie though my Wife totally hated it & found the movie to be absurd

My rating 4/5
Old 8th February 2009, 16:23   #2585
BHPian

watched Dev.D yesterday and totally agree with NC that either you love it or hate it. There will be no okays for this movie. But my view is do not miss this movie even if you hate it. Just go and see. Like they say its different. I loved the movie. NC perfect review for the movie, totally agree.Cheers.
Old 8th February 2009, 19:50   #2586
Senior - BHPian

Dev D: First half an hour was interesting. I thought i was in for a treat. But as the half an hour was getting over, the movie started to wear down.

First of all, it is tough when you take a boring strait jacketed character like Devdas and try to give it a new twist. I mean, where is the originality in bollywood these days anyway? And on top of it you pick a story thats been done and dusted so many times over!

I was impressed by the scenes that showed Dev taking drugs or abusing alcohol. One was the song in the bar just before the interval and second was where he pops the pill. I come home and look up on the net and i find Danny Boyle (Director of Slumdog Millionaire) gave the director tips on how to shoot those scenes!!

Found the movie boring, loud and unnecessarily long, like most bollywood fare.

Only saving grace... finally, after Dharmendra in his young days, we have a Deol who can act a bit!!

I'd give the movie 1/5. I'd have been better off watching India lose to Sri Lanka rather!

Last edited by amitoj : 8th February 2009 at 19:52.
Old 8th February 2009, 22:00   #2587
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by jango View Post
Just finished watching the movie " Pursuit of Happiness " starring will smith. A great movie ..must watch.

Would rate 4 on 5.
It's Pursuit of Happ*y*ness - it's based on a misspelling of Happiness
in one of the signs in the movie - I think a sign outside the baby sitters,
don't remember.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dippy View Post
This movie gets so many Oscar nominations and a brilliant film like Taare Zameen Par gets left out and doesnt even get a single nomination. Sad !! TZP is 100 times better.
I liked Slumdog - it's not great or awesome but very nice, interesting
movie. I am probably one of Aamir's greatest fan - I even liked Mangal
Pandey :-). But I wouldn't say TZP is 100 times better. I would rank
both movies as good in their own ways.
Old 9th February 2009, 16:44   #2588
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobike008 View Post
Watched " Dev D" last night and probably i am the first guy on this thread who didn't like it even though i am a big fan of off-beat movies.

Abhay Deol was fantastic and is best in these type of movies. Mahi is super super hot and Kalki's got a nice pout and girlish charm.

The pace of the story is too languid and much time is spent showing Abhay drinking and snorting. Photography in some places is shaky and a pain to your eyes but most part captured the other side of Delhi beautifully. It's too explicit in some scenes and dialogues and could be quite uncomfortable for family audiences.

Also, it's way too long and for once i think maybe this movie is a bit too heavy even for the multiplex crowd, i saw many people walking out of the theatre and just couldn't take such a weird way of story telling which is so unique to bollywood.

Music is awesome, and you can go watch it only for " emosional atyachar"...i am seriously contemplating of having that as my caller-tune

2.5/5
Saw it yesterday, My review is same as yours so wont waste time in saying the same things
Though Abhay is great in such roles. Much better natural actor than his cousin Bobby.
The end was tooooo long and boring.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jango View Post

Would rate 4 on 5.
One awesome movie. Teaches you what life is all about. Will smith is damn good in it. Some scenes makes your heart move like when he has to hid in a toilet with his son when he has no home.
Old 9th February 2009, 16:57   #2589
Senior - BHPian

Dead mans shoes - A man returns to his town to take revenge on a gang of drug dealers who tortured and abused his mentally challenged brother.
Its a beautiful movie ,simple and very touching.
Especially the scenes between the brothers.

4/5

Seven Pounds - Saw it yesterday ,the story is great and Will Smith has given another terrific performance but i felt it was kinda slow and a tad too long.

3/5
Old 9th February 2009, 18:17   #2590
abk
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by romyeo4u View Post
Best 10 Romantic movies one shouldn't miss watching

1) My Sassy Girl(Korean version)
2)August Rush
3)Before Sunrise
4)Before Sunset
5)P.S I Love you
6)The Notebook
7)A walk to remember
8)Sleepless in seattle
9)Pretty Woman
10)Notting Hill
Seems like i have a lot of catching up yet to do. Though I would include Sweet November and titanic in any list. And also Casablanca for that different era and different world romance

Quote:
Originally Posted by autopsyche View Post
Delhiites will love any movie thats pictured in delhi for a change... example Oye Lucky.
Oye Lucky Lucky Oye is a brilliant movie. Much of the humour is based on day to day life and very subtle. Indeed, one has to have some familiarity with Delhi lingo and ways of life to connect to the movie. I did not like it the first time but watched it again to like it. Since then it has grown in me.

Note from the Team-BHP Support Staff : Please use the "edit" button if posting within 15 minutes of the first post, instead of creating another back-to-back post

Also use "Multi Quote" option for quoting Multiple posts.

Last edited by Technocrat : 9th February 2009 at 18:34. Reason: see note in post
Old 9th February 2009, 19:30   #2591
Senior - BHPian

@Abhik- Sweet November is one of the most touching romantic movies i had seen. Charlize theron is amazing in it and also the track which is played in the end. Must watch if you like romantic stuff.
Old 9th February 2009, 22:46   #2592
BHPian

i watched the Juliette Binoche starer Chocolate over the weekend, very simple and uncomplicated storyline.
Old 11th February 2009, 14:59   #2593
Distinguished - BHPian

1.5 day, No posts. Had to dig this thread out of Page 3 ( not the social outings column)

Planning to watch "Taffin" starring Pierce Brosnan tonight, any reviews?
Old 11th February 2009, 15:11   #2594
Senior - BHPian

Any other movies beside Billo barber (which i think will be a dud) releasing this friday?
Old 11th February 2009, 15:28   #2595
Senior - BHPian

I believe quite a few English movies especially the mushy ones since 14th Feb is around.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks