Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 30th January 2009, 21:48   #2491
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by normally_crazy View Post
Slumdog Millionaire

Watched it yesterday night and am totally shocked as to why this movie has taken everything by storm including the Oscar nominations !

Nothing great in the movie over and above the kind of movies being churned out here in Bollywood - just maybe the fact that it's been made by a white man.

Performances were quite ok. Children absolutely out shone the stars - nothing exceptional. The direction is pretty ok too and the cinematography is the star here. The music is the pits. Rehman has made FAR FAR better music than the trash in this movie.
The plot is where the movie looses all - even if we suspend our understanding for a few hours, the liberties taken in the movie and the co-incidences are too much (and we crib about Bollywood stuff)

Verdict - 1.5/5. Absolute crap like a Bollywood B grade movie.
just maybe the fact that it's been made by a white man. - Ain't that a racist remark
I agree with your review as to an extent i felt the same after seeing the movie.
Old 30th January 2009, 22:16   #2492
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Performances were quite ok. Children absolutely out shone the stars - nothing exceptional. The direction is pretty ok too and the cinematography is the star here.
The plot is where the movie looses all - even if we suspend our understanding for a few hours, the liberties taken in the movie and the co-incidences are too much.
The small kids were great. The older kid was terrible. They had to go and pick a British Indian!!! he doesn't even have the right Indian accent much less the scrappy look of a guy who grew up on the streets. And that Pinto girl...she barely appears in more than 5 scenes, and they gave her a golden globe. And the questions in the quiz, easy as hell..who pays crores for that.

The movie is totally tuned for westerners...just like eating in an Indian restaurant in the US frequented by Americans. The flavour is totally Americanized.

Last edited by Mpower : 30th January 2009 at 22:48.
Old 30th January 2009, 22:47   #2493
Senior - BHPian

Tommorow attending a family marriage so tickets booked for Luck by chance on Sunday. Hopefully wont disappoint me like Slumdog!
Old 30th January 2009, 22:59   #2494
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by harry10 View Post
Ain't that a racist remark
Nah, just trying to imply that maybe it was a Hollywood director who made this Bollywood B grader like movie that got it awards and nominations.

@M - yea, slumdogs go from Hindi to accented English - awesome.
Old 30th January 2009, 23:32   #2495
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
@M - yea, slumdogs go from Hindi to accented English - awesome.
Kid worked at call center, no.

I saw the movie too. It's an alright film, nothing spectacular. It's cliched for us, since most of us have lived through it all, but for foreigners it's the ultimate insight into Mumbai's underground. And comes with reputed director also. Just like the tour bus always stops at Dhobi Ghat.

The kid actors are super. It really loses the plot in the second half. I'd give it 2/5. What a hype!
Old 30th January 2009, 23:42   #2496
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by harry10 View Post
Tommorow attending a family marriage so tickets booked for Luck by chance on Sunday. Hopefully wont disappoint me like Slumdog!
Just read the reviews for the movie. Sounds like a good one. Being the 'Akthar' duo, its gotta be a worthwhile movie. Hope to catch it this weekend.
Old 31st January 2009, 01:00   #2497
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ported_head View Post
Kid worked at call center, no.
he..he... in a way, you are right, but he starts putting his accent even before he worked at the call center....when he becomes a tour guide at the Taj Mahal in Agra.
Old 31st January 2009, 01:40   #2498
BHPian

I believe the intelligent people have vanished from the streets. All real wisdom is now on the forums.

Frankly man what were those people thinking when they gave so many nominations and awards to the crap slumdog thingy....

My opinion, the guy has made a movie on India just the way westerners want to look at India...

My verdict on slumdog 1/5 (1 for the smalll kids in the beginning)
Old 31st January 2009, 02:06   #2499
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by karanraheja View Post
Any reviews of Luck by chance?? Gautam /Harsh??
I Saw it today afternoon, went with a bunch of friends and everybody had mixed reactions, For me it was BORING, nothing special.

The movie is like for one moment I feel like getting up and leave while as sometimes i am waiting for the next scene. adding other starts like Shahrukh,Aamir,Hritik,Kareena etc etc was a good touch, but again nothing very special.

My Rating:- 2.5/5.

Slumdog i agree with everyone here, Over hyped nothing special, I like A Wednesday better.
Old 31st January 2009, 11:16   #2500
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Slumdog Millionaire

Watched it yesterday night and am totally shocked as to why this movie has taken everything by storm including the Oscar nominations !
Verdict - 1.5/5
. Absolute crap like a Bollywood B grade movie.
...and I thought I was the only one who thought so of the movie and the attention it is getting.

Strange are the ways these award system works.
Old 31st January 2009, 11:51   #2501
Distinguished - BHPian

Anybody watched " Victory"? What are the reviews on this movie? Interested to know how our cricketers fared
Old 31st January 2009, 12:21   #2502
BHPian

Saw on Times Now a report on the small kids who worked in Slumdog Millionaire,these kids don't even have a proper house to stay in.
Old 31st January 2009, 12:54   #2503
Senior - BHPian

Guys some need more reports on Lucky By chance? TOI is rating the pics a 4 star. Not sure if this is worth.

It should not happen like one moe slumdog...overhyped movie.
Old 31st January 2009, 13:26   #2504
Senior - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (7)

Quote:
Verdict - 1.5/5[/b]. Absolute crap like a Bollywood B grade movie.
Actually even worse than a B grade Bollywood movie. Infact, i would rate "Gunda" higher than this utter rubbish.

The only reason for all the hype is because a White Man directed it with all those ingredients western audience demands - Indian poverty, slums, riots and all that.

And Indians who are appreciating it are just doing for the heck of it, because they think everything and anything by a White Man is supreme and we must appreciate it no matter what.

P.S. Why does even the best of hindi cinema gets lesser stars than even the worse of Hollywood, by the Indian Media -Specifically, one Mr. Khalid Mahmood (or whatever his name is) of the Hindustan Times.
Old 31st January 2009, 13:27   #2505
Senior - BHPian

Agree with most of the reviews on Slumdog. It is such a over hyped trash!
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks