Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 26th January 2009, 18:23   #2446
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dippy View Post
Caught up with Final Destination on DVD yesterday. Brilliant concept and though it is not an out and out horror movie, it is quite scary. It keeps you on the edge of the seat all the time. A good watch but its quite gory.

Will be getting the other two sequels to watch. I heard they are more gory than the first one. Anyone seen all 3?

The 4th is releasing in Aug 2009 and its 3D.
I thought the 2nd part is also ok. the Third was a little bugging. ( probably cos I watched it back to back . Little repetitive )
Old 26th January 2009, 19:10   #2447
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by neoranjit View Post
I thought the 2nd part is also ok. the Third was a little bugging. ( probably cos I watched it back to back . Little repetitive )
3rd was ok ok . 2nd was the best,specially the starting highway scene.
Old 26th January 2009, 19:15   #2448
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by harry10 View Post
Finally saw Slumdog yesterday.
My honest opinion -
Brilliant direction,great performances and a very poor story.
I did not liked at all the way INDIA has been portrayed as a cheap third world country and US as the greated of all.
Its a complete biased concept which does not portrays the true picture of India at all!
People who are promoting it for oscars and are Indian should feel ashamed as this movie is not what India is. Yes what is shown happens and poverty,slums and crime is a reality in India,however this is a bigger reality in places world over. What about Chicago,california where crime rate is so high.
i can go on and on but my exact feelings has been said in today's Times of India last page- at the bottom there is an article by Arindham Chaudhary. Very clear and correct.
Rating - 2/5
I also happened to see the movie yesterday. A nice movie (it has all masala ingredients but the treatment is very good which makes a difference).

As far as India's portrayal is concerned : It is a movie and thats what it should be taken as. Movies are not meant to depict a country / region in its truest sense - i dont think that is the purpose of movies.

But, yes by really making a big issue out of it we may force lot of people who havent seen India to start perceiving it as the one shown in the movie.

My rating 3.5/5

Also, I feel Rahman's music is over-rated in the movie. He has had better compositions but yes those movies may not have been as nice as Slumdog and neither were they Hollywood movies to have gotten him such wide acclaim.
~maniac
Old 26th January 2009, 19:42   #2449
BHPian

just saw max payne and found it to be pretty decent. I would give it a 3/5
Old 26th January 2009, 20:40   #2450
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by serious_maniac View Post
I also happened to see the movie yesterday. A nice movie (it has all masala ingredients but the treatment is very good which makes a difference).

As far as India's portrayal is concerned : It is a movie and thats what it should be taken as. Movies are not meant to depict a country / region in its truest sense - i dont think that is the purpose of movies.

But, yes by really making a big issue out of it we may force lot of people who havent seen India to start perceiving it as the one shown in the movie.

My rating 3.5/5

Also, I feel Rahman's music is over-rated in the movie. He has had better compositions but yes those movies may not have been as nice as Slumdog and neither were they Hollywood movies to have gotten him such wide acclaim.
~maniac
Like i said earlier the direction is very good no doubt but the message is quiet on the wrong side.
Supposingly like i had never been to Mexico and am shown a film which shows every **** thing which happens there and nothing good then would i care to go to that place or think good about the people over there? NO.
If am shown Australia is a wonderful place with wonderful people and Mexico is a garbage why would i think good about the place and people.
Thats what i didn't like in the movie.
Anything showing India in a bad way will get dozen oscars because the jury and most people over there cant digest the success of India.

You are right Rehman has given much better compositions like Roja,Bombay (movies which were too good) and his Maa Tujhe Salaam. This one is hyped so the music is too.

Last edited by harry10 : 26th January 2009 at 20:42.
Old 26th January 2009, 21:03   #2451
Senior - BHPian

Watched Slumdog Millionaire yesterday. Its a brilliant movie with amazing direction. Like V16 said I dont know whats the fuss about showing poor India the story demanded it.

Anil Kapoor's role was small He is as usual good but nothing great. Although I didnt understand why he did what he does(dont wanna spell it out )

Rahman's music too is nice if not wow again here we need to understand that taste for music changes & probably its something new & fresh for the western world which they are liking

Btw did anyone else also feel that AR lifted Choli ke peeche tune in the ringa ringa song ??

My rating 4/5

Last edited by Technocrat : 26th January 2009 at 21:23.
Old 26th January 2009, 23:49   #2452
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
3rd was ok ok . 2nd was the best,specially the starting highway scene.
I have seen the highway scene. Its awesome. How gory are the other 2 parts in comparison to the first?
Old 26th January 2009, 23:54   #2453
Senior - BHPian

Watched Raaz on DVD, not bad for a one time watch. Well made for an Indian horror flick, thankfully no kisses by Imran and he has lost a lot of weight Kangana looks scary throughout the movie even in places where she is supposed to look the part.
The ending could have been better and I didnt know Jackie Shroff was so desperate for roles.

2/5 Not a bad timepass.(only if you see it on a DVD)
*DVD watching strictly, if you watch it in the hall thats your own choice. (hey i saw cc2c in the hall, could have just burnt a Rs 500 note and enjoyed more)

Last edited by sammyboy : 26th January 2009 at 23:58.
Old 27th January 2009, 00:30   #2454
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sammyboy View Post
Watched Raaz on DVD, not bad for a one time watch. Well made for an Indian horror flick, thankfully no kisses by Imran and he has lost a lot of weight Kangana looks scary throughout the movie even in places where she is supposed to look the part.
The ending could have been better and I didnt know Jackie Shroff was so desperate for roles.

2/5 Not a bad timepass.(only if you see it on a DVD)
*DVD watching strictly, if you watch it in the hall thats your own choice. (hey i saw cc2c in the hall, could have just burnt a Rs 500 note and enjoyed more)
Agree with you to an extent about Raaz. If you can spend a gandhi note on CC2C. Raaz, definetly is worth that money if compared to Akshay's flick.

Just back from watching the movie in a theatre and i give full marks to entire starcast ( including the new chap) for decent acting. A very well made horror flick and i feel that our standard of horror movie making is slowly but steadly improving.

Emraan was good and restrained as usual. He gets the mandatory ring tone song in this movie too.

New guy was quite good and he looks promising.

Kangana was the soul of the movie and she held onto the title role really good.

Jackie was wasted in a tiny weeny role.

Good direction and plot of the movie and a few scenes taken off from hollywood movies. Like one where the buffaloes attack them ( same scenes but it was a bunch of antelopes attacking in Ring 2 and what picturization, watch it only for that scene, worth the money). Whereas, this scene was clearly visible that it was computer animated.

In short, Raaz 2, is worth the money and certainly a one time dekko

Rating : 3.5/5
Old 27th January 2009, 03:51   #2455
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobike008 View Post

New guy was quite good and he looks promising.

Rating : 3.5/5

New guy is Shekhar Suman's son!
Old 27th January 2009, 10:58   #2456
BANNED

Quote:
Like i said earlier the direction is very good no doubt but the message is quiet on the wrong side.
When the world itself is becoming a small place. To base one's opinion about another country just on a single movie would be a very narrow minded approach. If the westerners want to paint our whole country as per what's shown in the movie, then so be it. I know what it is and so do a large number of westerners too. As for the rest who think our country is a bad place to be in, i really dont care.

Its a movie, just that. There are ills in all countries, nobody is perfect. Take is as that and move on.
Old 27th January 2009, 11:08   #2457
Senior - BHPian

I can't understand why we become so defensive when someone portrays the bad side of India.
Is it lack of acknowledgment of the problems we have ? The sense that we are shining and the world doesn't acknowledge that more ?
Old 27th January 2009, 11:49   #2458
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Supposingly like i had never been to Mexico and am shown a film which shows every **** thing which happens there and nothing good then would i care to go to that place or think good about the people over there? NO.
If am shown Australia is a wonderful place with wonderful people and Mexico is a garbage why would i think good about the place and people.
Thats what i didn't like in the movie.
Anything showing India in a bad way will get dozen oscars because the jury and most people over there cant digest the success of India.
so... if you see Turistas, you wont ever go to Brazil? If you see Hostel, you wont go to Eastern Europe? If you see The Mexican, you wont go to Mexico? Heck, if you see Crash, you will never go to USA either!!!
Old 27th January 2009, 12:30   #2459
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitoj View Post
so... if you see Turistas, you wont ever go to Brazil? If you see Hostel, you wont go to Eastern Europe? If you see The Mexican, you wont go to Mexico? Heck, if you see Crash, you will never go to USA either!!!
Well said, amitoj!

What happens if one sees Euro Trip, or Road Trip, then? Fall in love with those countries?
Old 27th January 2009, 12:47   #2460
Senior - BHPian

A bit late but just finished watching Dusvidaniya on DVD

Just loved this movie. Vinay Pathak is a great actor. Sometimes there are these movies which touch you in a nice way. This is one of them. Definately recommended.

Rating : 4/5
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks