Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 6th April 2022, 17:09   #1336
BHPian

Re: Impact of the Russia-Ukraine war

Quote:
Originally Posted by iTNerd View Post
The proofs are all there to see with plain eyes, unless you want to counter that in the intersection, the civilian cyclist tried to attack the Russian peacekeepers with his deadly cycle and hence he/she was shot with canons from BMP1 and BMP2's. The way they hit with indiscriminate fire on anything that moves in Bucha tells you the desperate mindset of a demoralized army after taking too much loss.
Sir, you are trying to prove a point to a group that still thinks the MH 17 being shot down had nothing to do with Russia or that the devilish Ukrainians used one of their fighter jets to provoke the Russian backed separatists into firing the Buk missile and then went ahead and led it on a chase across the blue skies right into the civilian aircraft.

An amazing scene conjured up by a mind that should have been put to use for the new Top Gun movie just to give the baddies a nice suave introduction.

A group that would swear that they know that Bush had knowledge the WMD claim was fake before the invasion of Iraq. That the US intelligence agencies knew the Twin towers were about to be attacked but let it happen anyways and some who would swear that U.S.A staged the whole moon landings just to bankrupt the Soviet Union.

But tell them that the guys who invaded/committed atrocities in Grozny - Chechnya (twice), Georgia, Crimea (Ukraine), Aleppo (Syria) and then got militarily involved in the affairs of every single country on their borders have been shooting civilians - then the best they can come up with is "but U.S.A has been doing that too" or "yeah but this is an active war zone and they were probably fighters posing as civilians" or "they should have known better they should have evacuated instead of sticking around".
JithinR is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 6th April 2022, 17:34   #1337
BANNED

Quote:
The proofs are all there to see with plain eyes, unless you want to counter that in the intersection, the civilian cyclist tried to attack the Russian peacekeepers with his deadly cycle and hence he/she was shot with canons from BMP1 and BMP2's. The way they hit with indiscriminate fire on anything that moves in Bucha tells you the desperate mindset of a demoralized army after taking too much loss.

Even commercial satellite images taken during the Russian occupation of Bucha shows the corpses lying on the roads and that itself should be enough to see through what actually happened. Another video with more indepth on the aftermath of the cyclist - https://www.Youtube.com/watch?v=_Z9gcV00bMo
Ok this videos clears that it indeed fired at the civilian.

But the other points mentioned before still applies.
Obviously the person in the BMP who shot at should be tried under law.
Whether its a case of mistaken identity or panic firing or trigger happy all result in the same result, a dead person.

But the other points mentioned before still applies.

I can still post videos here of ukraine killing civilians. But some people are tone deaf to those war crimes, videos shot at point blank range.
aim120 is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 6th April 2022, 17:54   #1338
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnS_12 View Post
Could be, but do you see any merit in these points is the Q? Biden is not doing anything meaningful about tackling inflation and at best is actually making the situation far worst with his actions.
Politicians take credit for economic data when it is good, and they get blamed for it when it is bad. Read the news, not opinions.
Old 6th April 2022, 18:02   #1339
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitoj View Post
Politicians take credit for economic data when it is good, and they get blamed for it when it is bad. Read the news, not opinions.
Are you for real my friend?

Impact of the Russia-Ukraine war-img_2831.jpg

https://edition.cnn.com/2022/04/05/b...omy/index.html

Deutsche Bank surely would know a thing or two about an economy and its monetary policies? So, is this news or opinion? Harsh reality maybe??
SnS_12 is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 6th April 2022, 18:11   #1340
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Deutsche Bank surely would know a thing or two about an economy and its monetary policies? So, is this news or opinion? Harsh reality maybe??
If you want to believe that Biden could have prevented inflation within one year then you will find plenty of "news articles" supporting that.
Old 6th April 2022, 18:25   #1341
BHPian

This is the deputy ambassador of Russian to the U.N defending his earlier allegation that the video Zelensky showed at the U.N.S.C was fake.

So this is how a sovereign country defends itself on the international stage when it's accused of war crimes.."Look at my twitter page..read the internet..read the users".

It seems now Russia is switching it's earlier statement from fake bodies -> fake videos -> to Ukrainians executing civilians in other locations and then transporting them to Russian occupied cities just so that when Russian troops eventually withdraw from those cities they would be blamed for the deaths.

If the bodies were placed there before the Russians came in then I would expect Russia to send out images to the world of dead bodies they found lying on the streets in Bucha when they came in.
Old 6th April 2022, 18:41   #1342
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitoj View Post
If you want to believe that Biden could have prevented inflation within one year then you will find plenty of "news articles" supporting that.
Wow. Even if we consider Biden couldn't have prevented it he could have surely taken or take measures to arrest or at least slow down the increase? Isn't his decision to make US a net importer of oil again a reason for the rise in gas prices and if he restarts the industry again he can actually bring the prices down in US and around the world too? But seems to be interested in protecting the investments of his rich friends in the carbon net zero or green energy project instead? Also, which sane mind continues pumping more liquidity in the financial system when inflation is where it is?

Do you also believe Biden couldn't have done anything to avoid the war in Ukraine as Trump said it wouldn't have happened on his watch?
SnS_12 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 6th April 2022, 18:42   #1343
BHPian

Some people very outraged over what happened in Bucha.

But it’s good to be outraged as long as the violence is done by Russia.

I’ve seen Nazi swastikas carved on people by the Azovs. Seems to be no outrage over that. No outrage over Ukrainian army guys fighting from buildings choke full of civilians. I’ve seen videos on Telegram, where Russian soldiers are walking into a hall full of bodies in Mariupol.

Another point I have been pondering on is, hypothetically, what if India did something similar to what Ukraine did? I wonder how China would have reacted. We have a no first use policy wrt nukes. How would that have turned out.

I think the current situation is a good learning experience for us about how go about the Quad. Clearly Japan, US and Aus want us to be a bit over zealous. But Mr. Jaishankar’s comments on Quad recently were excellent. This whole Russia situation is going to make dealing with China tricky. Whole Galwan valley situation seems not so spontaneous right now. We were way too busy with the pandemic. Now Putin comes invading Ukraine when there are some clear economic pains in the world.

Last edited by TROOPER : 6th April 2022 at 18:47. Reason: Correction (Galwan Valley)
TROOPER is offline   (12) Thanks
Old 6th April 2022, 18:58   #1344
BHPian

High chances that this is going to be a long drawn war. As most of the members have commented, this may lead to a change in the Global Power centers and we may see a "rising East". I wonder how our country is placed, especially against the Economic might and Military of our Eastern neighbor. This, in addition to the fact that we are surrounded by deeply unfriendly countries may pose a serious challenge to our prosperity.
drift87 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 6th April 2022, 19:04   #1345
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by drift87 View Post
This, in addition to the fact that we are surrounded by deeply unfriendly countries may pose a serious challenge to our prosperity.
Not to mention Afghanistan.

And our special neighbour. The mess they are in right now. They also have nukes. If there’s anything that Indians should be praying for, more than cheap petrol, is a stable Pakistan.

Easy puppet for China or US to manipulate to keep our resources busy behind unwanted stuff.
TROOPER is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 6th April 2022, 19:27   #1346
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Wow. Even if we consider Biden couldn't have prevented it he could have surely taken or take measures to arrest or at least slow down the increase? Isn't his decision to make US a net importer of oil again a reason for the rise in gas prices and if he restarts the industry again he can actually bring the prices down in US and around the world too? But seems to be interested in protecting the investments of his rich friends in the carbon net zero or green energy project instead? Also, which sane mind continues pumping more liquidity in the financial system when inflation is where it is?

Do you also believe Biden couldn't have done anything to avoid the war in Ukraine as Trump said it wouldn't have happened on his watch?
I give you this much that he could have done more to slow down inflation. But that's about it. Inflation is a macro economic phenomenon that takes years to build up. So, I dont agree that he could have prevented it all together.

US has always been net importer of oil (although that net margin is very low) except for the brief period when its domestic consumption was low due to covid. President of US does not control a faucet that he can turn on or off at his own will. It is a matter of supply and demand.

Do you believe shutting down Keystone XL was a mistake?

I think you give too much credit to US and its influence on Russia. Trump says a lot of things. Trust a politician's word at your own peril.
amitoj is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 6th April 2022, 19:27   #1347
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TROOPER View Post
Some people very outraged over what happened in Bucha.

But it’s good to be outraged as long as the violence is done by Russia.

I’ve seen Nazi swastikas carved on people by the Azovs. Seems to be no outrage over that. No outrage over Ukrainian army guys fighting from buildings choke full of civilians. I’ve seen videos on Telegram, where Russian soldiers are walking into a hall full of bodies in Mariupol.
Every human ought to be outraged over what happened in Bucha. This is Europe in 2022, not 1939 where a brutal dictator held sway. You can't slaughter civilians just because they were not welcoming you or turning hostile to their presence. You don't slaughters bystanders just because one had lost several of his colleagues to ambushes and burning tanks and troop carriers nearby. There is a fine thin line between combatants and civilians, which any professional fighting force ought to differentiate, even at the most dire situation. You just don't level towns and cities to bring people into submission. Just creates the opposite effects of their purpose.

Last edited by iTNerd : 6th April 2022 at 19:28.
iTNerd is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 6th April 2022, 19:39   #1348
BHPian

Quote:
Every human ought to be outraged over what happened in Bucha.
Still no response or outrage for the violence carried out by the Ukrainians.

Since this is 2022, don't be selective with your outrage. People are dying on both sides.

I'm not going to drag this, because I wish to be neutral. And I'm not going to sit giving disclaimers because some people feel holier than thou just because they are taking the side of the west.

There's enough evidence on Twitter for the right, and enough on Telegram for the left. As a neutral, I follow both. No one's been a saint, before, on or after 24th February.
TROOPER is offline   (13) Thanks
Old 6th April 2022, 19:44   #1349
BHPian

Just wanted to share some thoughts on the topic of collateral damage, Geneva convention, Targeting of civilians etc.

Folks, when there is a conflict, innocent people are going to get caught in cross-fire. Some of it may be deliberate targeting in return for perceived grievances or other earlier provocations. There has been multiple instances of both Ukraine and Russia flouting the utopian norms of Geneva convention. From my perspective, that is the reality of war.

There is a pattern of ignoring all of the alleged violations of Ukraine while disproportionate focus is put on the alleged violations from Russia in main stream western media. Note that I have used alleged for both. I am no expert on investigating these allegations and evaluating their truthfulness. It is important that an impartial investigation goes into the circumstances of all alleged war crimes. Reporting on war crimes for propoganda purposes in not in good taste especially when done in name of liberty, freedom, equality etc.

In my opinion, one of the biggest violations was the ban on men leaving Ukraine and being forced to fight without adequate training/weaponry. If you want to understand this a bit more, this article covers this topic pretty well.

https://theconversation.com/why-bann...-rights-178411

Excerpts :
With their country facing armed attack by a major military power with the aim of overthrowing their government, some Ukrainians have felt compelled to stay and potentially fight.

Some have enlisted in the wake of Russia’s invasion. These brand new soldiers have been called both conscripts and volunteers.

Others have felt compelled to leave. The very nature of the conflict puts civilians at risk - it is playing out in densely populated cities, through shelling and aerial bombardment. Already more than one million people have fled.

However, for men aged 18 to 60, the ban on leaving Ukraine means they have no choice to flee the attack and the risks they face as civilians in the theatre of war.

A New York Times podcast tells the story of an animator named Tyhran, who unsuccessfully tried to cross the border into Poland.

I can’t imagine myself doing military stuff […] I have no experience in it. I’m afraid of holding a gun […] I cannot imagine myself holding a gun.

Tyhran says he was shamed at the border by guards and others seeking to cross, but may try again to cross illegally.

Last edited by vishnurp99 : 6th April 2022 at 19:47.
vishnurp99 is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 6th April 2022, 19:58   #1350
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TROOPER View Post
Easy puppet for China or US to manipulate to keep our resources busy behind unwanted stuff.
US is already playing with the neighbour. Khan's visit to Russia, the country's refusal to host US bases and it getting cosy with China has not gone well with US. Khan claims the state department is responsible for the no confidence motion against him and the military "seems to be neutral" to all the events taking place.
AltoLXI is offline   (1) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks