Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 10th March 2022, 15:56   #796
Senior - BHPian

Re: Impact of the Russia-Ukraine war

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
And these biological materials suddenly become bio-weapons if Russians take control.
She talks about research labs and facilities, and the follow up question is about attacks by the Russians.
Hint enough of the direction.

PS: Would like to see a longer version before making more firm opinions, as clips often mislead.
Poitive is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th March 2022, 16:04   #797
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poitive View Post
She talks about research labs and facilities, and the follow up question is about attacks by the Russians.
Ah, so this is some cancer research or similar medical research facility?

What if Russia takes control, what will happen? They will find cure faster? Why should Americans try so hard to secure the research material? Is this about who will get to patent it faster?

Edit: Notice how she never said NO when the question specifically asked if Ukraine had chemical/biological weapons? She pauses, blinks and uses the euphemism "biological research" there by neither confirming nor denying.

Last edited by Samurai : 10th March 2022 at 16:11.
Samurai is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 10th March 2022, 16:10   #798
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
Ah, so this is some cancer research or similar medical research facility?
I think the intent and direction of both our posts right after the YouTube link was similar. Couldn't grasp this post.

To me (as I suppose roughly to you) it appears that they are building a case for Russia to be answerable for what happens, and to shift the focus fron a possible west-backed facility to Russia. Of raising the costs for Russia if anything wrong were to happen linked to the said facility.

PS: Likely to be away from posting for several hours now.
Poitive is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 10th March 2022, 16:17   #799
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poitive View Post
I think the intent and direction of both our posts right after the YouTube link was similar. Couldn't grasp this post.
Just a Tongue-in-cheek...

But I think the cat is out of the bag. This is going to cause huge reaction within USA, just the YT comments from Americans under that video is telling.
Samurai is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 11th March 2022, 01:12   #800
Senior - BHPian

I doubt such leaks can be confirmed, but one can find widespread reports and clips on the same. Some details below.

Video title: Nuland-Pyatt leaked phone conversation _COMPLETE with SUBTITLES

Description (formatting added):
Quote:
WARNING: Profanity

Victoria Nuland, Asst. Sec. of State for Europe, phone call to US Ambassador to Ukraine, Geoffrey Pyatt, in a phone call leaked to the news media on 4 February 2014. F**k the EU

What's really important here is the level of planning for the coup that overthrew the elected President Viktor Yanukovych, which brought to power (as heard on the recording) a group of select individuals described as "moderate democrats." In fact, most of them, including Oleh Tyahnybok (whom Nuland insists the new head of state consult four times weekly), are a far-right nationalist faction with overt and long-standing ties to the neo-Nazi movement. Meet the characters in the story that led to what's called "the worst crisis since the old cold war" and which Russia experts at American universities describe as a new cold war more dangerous than the first.

Further:
Revolution of Dignity
18–23 February 2014

Impact of the Russia-Ukraine war-revolution-dignity-wikipedia.jpg

Wikipedia Link: https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Revolution_of_Dignity

Make your own conclusions.

PS: 'Revolutions' have interesting names.

Last edited by Poitive : 11th March 2022 at 01:15. Reason: Formatting, added PS.
Poitive is offline   (14) Thanks
Old 11th March 2022, 09:09   #801
Distinguished - BHPian

Looks like Russia is planning a counter sanction on the US with its growing closeness among OPEC members.

It has good relations with Saudi, UAE, Nigeria and Venezuela.

And while the US has been trying to reach out to Oil producing nations to increase production including the visit of US officials to Venezuela a Russian ally and a country already under US sanctions. And around the same time the countries Vice President makes a trip to Turkey to meet the Russians.

Impact of the Russia-Ukraine war-05d6c01766db44578688cb2cbfaf14a0.jpeg

And then you have news about ASEAN countries the largest trading block now dumping the US$

Impact of the Russia-Ukraine war-e2ca29bcb6674e8c8e9ef7f8fc13cae3.jpeg

How quickly will the oil trading move away US$ and which currency will replace it? Maybe one of the five SDR currencies, which includes Yuan and Euro? Only time will tell...
SnS_12 is offline   (12) Thanks
Old 11th March 2022, 10:02   #802
BHPian

Am not naïve, but the post intentionally is,

I have refrained to post on this thread till now, but had read almost all the posts which brought great deal of knowledge, new sources and perspectives. I thank for all those who have illuminated me with knowledge, facts, and opinions.

But one thing which disturbs me about this thread is the same trend in the world on most things which is "hypocrisy coupled with prejudice", bash the people who have "almost" neutral thoughts. The source of many problems today in the world is because people want others to be like them and we have a large proportion of people who rally behind. One can educate the other, have debates and stuff but cannot undermine, and create chaos to propagate one's thoughts/beliefs. This is detrimental! Why can't we have our opinions and others theirs, still respect them and try to influence in a civilized manner?

WAR is BAD, no matter who starts it or provokes it. Damage is done to the innocents, not just people but also all that is living and environment. I feel even this war was due to the same which I mentioned in earlier paragraph. Russia may have started this war militarily, but in my opinion the war was started by the US, and NATO rallied behind. We need to raise voice against Russia "NOW", but take a lesson from the whole fiasco and what led to this action from Russia. Am not drawing conclusions, but saying that if we need to stop things repeating in future, we need to attack the historical root cause, not just the last known problem.

There were some comments like "what about", and against "what about". Look, we can't justify one crime with another, that doesn't mean we can conveniently ignore the fact the other crime is committed. But when we start selective criticism, the world will be split, people will take sides, and neutral comments get bashed or ignored. Finally truth is lost in the noise and we keep repeating same mistakes again and again.

P.S - not advising or supporting anyone, just wanted to pour what I felt on reading almost 50 pages of this thread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnS_12 View Post
And then you have news about ASEAN countries the largest trading block now dumping the US$

How quickly will the oil trading move away US$ and which currency will replace it? Maybe one of the five SDR currencies, which includes Yuan and Euro? Only time will tell...
We have increased our foreign currency reserves to approximately $630 billion , I know that it's not just one currency, but most of it is USD. How will it affect us? Will we make our reserves diverse now? Also, having reserves in other countries is not as safe as Russia's case points out during crisis, should we take some learning from this?

Last edited by saikarthik : 11th March 2022 at 10:14.
saikarthik is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 11th March 2022, 11:46   #803
BHPian

Interesting Opinion Article in the Washington Post which is usually strongly pro-American:

Opinion: Putin’s invasion of Ukraine marks the beginning of a post-American era

Russia’s invasion of Ukraine is a seismic event, perhaps the most significant one in international life since the fall of the Berlin Wall. This war marks the end of an age. But what can we say about the new one we are entering?

One of the defining features of the new era is that it is post-American. By that I mean that the Pax Americana of the past three decades is over. You can see signs of this everywhere. Consider the fact that the leaders of the UAE and Saudi Arabia — two countries that have depended on Washington for their security for decades — refused to even take phone calls from the U.S. president, according to the Wall Street Journal. Consider as well that Israel (initially) and India have refused to describe Putin’s actions as an invasion, and that all four countries have made it clear they will continue to do business with Russia.

Source: https://www.washingtonpost.com/opini...mpaign=wp_main
Foxbat is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 11th March 2022, 12:04   #804
BHPian

Quote:
Looks like Russia is planning a counter sanction on the US with its growing closeness among OPEC members.
There were multiple articles on US efforts to cool down oil prices. With Mid term elections coming in US, Biden may be under pressure and Biden is no Obama to carry the weight of failures and still manage to win.

More than Russia, it seems self inflicted isolation for USA. US does not even recognize Maduro as President of Venezuela and recognizes his opponent. This is again their template for other country elections - Start with 'Disputed' elections tag through their media, then 'allegedly rigged' elections tag and then openly call it as rigged election and will not approve the election results of another sovereign country and get the ground ready with sanctions for regime change.

On the Middle east, it seems Biden's self goal with preaching liberal values and ideals to MBS and cancellation of F35 deal with UAE. All in the name of dismantling Trump's foreign policy. French happily lapped up that contract after the AUKUS debacle.

Quote:
Originally Posted by thanixravindran View Post
Is there any reason why Middle East people are left out to enjoy the fruits of democracy and Monarchy is 'protected' in exchange for Petro dollars? Is it to avoid energy shocks to the global middle class?
I am quoting myself and this was confirmed by Blinken yesterday that they indeed have 'multitude' of interests and not only democracy after Biden's lecture on democratic ideals to MBS. Every politician has a domestic compulsion.

USA seems to be even pushing to close the new Iran Nuclear deal but Israel is happily working with Russia to scuttle it. WION Gravitas is even forecasting that Biden himself may travel to Middle East in the garb of Nuclear deal and cool off the Saudis and UAE.

Funny thing is, it is Trump who has pretty much told Europe to take care of its security but Biden is now literally proving it after opposing Trump's foreign policy. Whatever it is, I miss Trump's hourly tweets, however incendiary it is, at least in Twitter during this time. It will be a separate 'war' itself in Twitter.
thanixravindran is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 11th March 2022, 12:06   #805
Distinguished - BHPian

Reading about the impact of the UK's sanctions on Roman Abramovich's Chelsea FC, it seems to me the fallout is being borne more by the staff and employees (a lot of them British!) than it does seem to be bothering the billionaire owner. Apart from perhaps dented pride at having to forcefully part with his showpiece possession.

Wonder if sanctions really work on the people they are supposed to be targeting? I mean not much will affect a billionaire- they probably have an army of lawyers and accountants that can safeguard their wealth and use every legal loophole to move assets around.
am1m is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 11th March 2022, 12:17   #806
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foxbat View Post
Interesting Opinion Article in the Washington Post which is usually strongly pro-American:

Opinion: Putin’s invasion of Ukraine marks the beginning of a post-American era
Since this is behind paywall, I looked for similar opinion in NY Times where I do have full access. Nothing... nada.... zilch. Every opinion and news there is in lock step with US foreign policy. If you only consume NYTimes, you would never know there is another view point on this matter. And nothing on Victoria Nuland's admission in the senate hearing either.

Basically Washington Post has broken rank. That is probably because of Fareed Zakaria, who is originally from India, has better understanding of what people from Asia think about the invasion.
Samurai is offline   (14) Thanks
Old 11th March 2022, 12:27   #807
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by am1m View Post
Wonder if sanctions really work on the people they are supposed to be targeting? I mean not much will affect a billionaire- they probably have an army of lawyers and accountants that can safeguard their wealth and use every legal loophole to move assets around.
+1

Sanctions only affect common people, not the leaders or oligarchs the imposing countries want to target. They already have enough, and they have "friends" all over the world who can route the money back.

Two examples:

1. A Russian software developer stops getting payments from Apple for sales of his app on iOS

2. A Russian shareholder of a US company cannot wire transfer the proceeds of his trade back to his country

Even if we consider the West's logic to have the demography forced to replace the leader, it won't work if there is no democracy in the first place, and even if there was, it would still take a few years until the next election.

Until then, common people are deprived of their rights, which depending on how critical they are to that individual, can actually amount to War Crimes.
mayukh42 is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 11th March 2022, 12:47   #808
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by saikarthik View Post
We have increased our foreign currency reserves to approximately $630 billion , I know that it's not just one currency, but most of it is USD. How will it affect us? Will we make our reserves diverse now? Also, having reserves in other countries is not as safe as Russia's case points out during crisis, should we take some learning from this?
The move from US$ will not happen overnight and will take a few years, but if the world starts seeing a confirmed shift then the value of US$ will come down as demand for it will start reducing. Also, the current reserves even they are at the highest level for India is only enough for us to import goods for anything over 1 year and under 2 years. But, with rising inflation the money we hold is loosing purchasing power fast and it will just accelerate after a certain point, which can't be controlled without taking very tough decisions.

The biggest impact will be for US as countries exporting to them might then start selling in other currencies which US will have to buy instead of the free printing that has been the norm since the 70's. The US current trade deficit is $ 1 trillion and the only way they were able to survive this is because of free printing, which also happens to be the global currency. I really don't understand why an America citizen pays taxes, when its country can just print money for free and fund everything??

Coming to Russia, their reserves are impacted because they cannot remit the US$ they have in Russia and can neither access the reserves they are holding in banks located in foreign countries. That is why they were increasing their gold(real money) reserves and holding it in Russia as against other countries who hold in at New York or London reserve, where it is traded commonly. Sanctions can't affect that except if they want to sell it, but there are always back doors as gold is always in demand.

As the saying for gold goes, "you own it only if you hold it".

Quote:
Originally Posted by thanixravindran View Post
There were multiple articles on US efforts to cool down oil prices. With Mid term elections coming in US, Biden may be under pressure and Biden is no Obama to carry the weight of failures and still manage to win.

More than Russia, it seems self inflicted isolation for USA. US does not even recognize Maduro as President of Venezuela and recognizes his opponent. This is again their template for other country elections - Start with 'Disputed' elections tag through their media, then 'allegedly rigged' elections tag and then openly call it as rigged election and will not approve the election results of another sovereign country and get the ground ready with sanctions for regime change.

On the Middle east, it seems Biden's self goal with preaching liberal values and ideals to MBS and cancellation of F35 deal with UAE. All in the name of dismantling Trump's foreign policy. French happily lapped up that contract after the AUKUS debacle.
Russians had planned this move from 2014 and knew exactly what they were getting into. Ukraine got played by the West over NATO and US got played by Russia in all this.

You start making friends before a war what Russia has been doing and not trying to mend relations after a war like what America is trying to do currently.

Anything big in the world will always have something to do with money and in this day and age where propaganda can shift opinions more than anything you have to analyze and try to make sense and find logic from what you read and see of things that are happening around.

That is why my first post on this thread on page 2 was following the money trail to understand what Russia is planning to do. Money in physical or digital form has to end up somewhere and when you follow the trail you will get your answers you were looking for.
SnS_12 is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 11th March 2022, 13:49   #809
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by am1m View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by mayukh42 View Post

Sanctions only affect common people, not the leaders or oligarchs the imposing countries want to target. They already have enough, and they have "friends" all over the world who can route the money back...
I agree, and also strongly believe this war it is just a ploy to destroy the good infrastructure and the feeling of "democracy" in Ukraine. I used to wonder how a poor country like Ukraine had such facilities. Well, all the world's leaders decided to set it right - no more poor country with first world infrastructure and democracy. It is the same reason our BBMP will not fix potholes and roads even if they are given incontrovertible evidence that they are causing deaths, and given plenty of tax money. It's the same reason we are rapidly removing any resemblance to a democratic society in our own country.

I think the Bezos, Musk, (add your favorite rich entrepreneurs / oligarchs) Putin, Trump, Modi, Erdogan,... Club decided that they had insulated themselves sufficiently from the fallout of this war, and it was time to heap a new set of miseries on the world, especially Ukraine and Russia.

It's the only way I can explain to myself why this war was started and the response of all leaders and businesses.
mvadg is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 11th March 2022, 14:51   #810
Senior - BHPian

More importantly, old Biden has messed up US relations with Saudi, UAE, China, India, Pakistan etc. If they start sanctions, it's going to be like shooting themselves in the foot-sending everybody towards Russia
Quote:
Looks like Russia is planning a counter sanction on the US with its growing closeness among OPEC members. It has good relations with Saudi, UAE, Nigeria and Venezuela
Sebring is offline   (2) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks