Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 29th December 2021, 13:29   #1
GTO
Team-BHP Support

What is your ideal New Year's Eve celebration like?

Curious to know how BHPians prefer bringing in the New Year. Is it a party? Or pub / lounge? At home with the family? A road-trip? Movie with dinner?

My ideal 31st Dec night is on my terrace with family & close ones. Good food, great music & fun conversations. Of course, the weather right now is deadly too! I prefer to avoid the crowds + chaos + traffic + overpriced restaurant packages and have a nice celebration on the upper deck.

What is your plan for the 31st?

Last edited by GTO : 29th December 2021 at 13:31.
GTO is offline   (35) Thanks
Old 29th December 2021, 13:40   #2
BHPian

Re: What is your ideal New Year's Eve celebration like?

Depends on where I am. In Europe, I generally love to visit a new city every year and watch the fireworks with friends and then count down with the crowd to welcome the new year. And after the fireworks, we generally have an after-party at the hotel. If I am visiting my parents, we go for a drive around the city or maybe go to the beach with some family friends (which will be the case this year).

My ideal New Year would be the former, I just love the ambiance of welcoming a New Year surrounded by friends and strangers in a new city!
dragracer567 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 29th December 2021, 13:45   #3
Senior - BHPian

31st night for me has to be at a home or an uncrowded beach (if that exists !) with close friends and definitely not out at a public event / party. The last few new years have been around a bonfire & barbeque in Coorg just the way I like it

I anyway try to avoid crowds and new years is horrible in this regard, besides it's the worst time of the year to be on the road.

PS: I think this should be made into a poll with some options:
- At home with family
- At home with friends
- Travel somewhere
- Go out to a party / restaurant
- Roam around all the hot spots in the city !

Last edited by fiat_tarun : 29th December 2021 at 13:47.
fiat_tarun is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 29th December 2021, 13:47   #4
BHPian

Thanks to the recent surge in Delhi Covid cases, we have decided to avoid any social gathering. We might be touching 500 cases a day post NYE, I hope not though. Seeing this situation I'm planning to leave a floor solely for recreational purposes in our new house which is under construction atm.

Apart from this, a certain get together at a private space is more appealing than going out places. You have the liberty of deciding the food, drinks, music and even the ambience.

Once you're past a certain age, clubbing doesn't appeal to as much as spending time with your loved ones and making memories does. I think i left clubbing with my college only!

I even prefer going out of station and staying at a resort with family especially during Diwali as the AQI around the harvest season reaches dangerous levels. Been doing that since 2016 i guess.

Happy New Year Fellow BHPians. May this year be good for everyone and your loved ones.

Aviansh.

Last edited by dr.aviansh : 29th December 2021 at 13:54.
dr.aviansh is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 29th December 2021, 13:48   #5
Team-BHP Support

The night of Xmas / New Year both - definitely not a public party. It’ll either be an evening at someone’s home with a few close friends, wine, music and conversation etc.

Alternately, we usually try to travel out but again the plan is quiet family time or travel with one / two other families and have a good holiday.

Last year we stayed at a lovely boutique property in Goa. Before that we’ve done holidays in places like Mahabaleshwar, Nashik Sri Lanka, Goa multiple times, etc. But we keep the plan at the destination also quiet and peaceful. At best a gala dinner at the property or similar.
Axe77 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 29th December 2021, 13:56   #6
Team-BHP Support

With like minded friends, on a drive (short or long) either to a nice property, either in the hills (North Bengal / Sikkim / Nepal) or at friend's / my property over some good food / bon-fire.

For eg, for this time, one of my best buddy is driving down to Goa, I am unfortunately short on time, hence, a spin to the hills at a desolate homestay for 3 days is what I am managing.

EDIT : The drive or having few days off is mostly because no work gets done anyway, so instead of sulking at home, why not go out and have some fresh air?

Last edited by Sheel : 29th December 2021 at 15:37.
Sheel is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 29th December 2021, 14:55   #7
BANNED

New Year and Christmas have become dates to avoid visiting / going to restaurants / hotels or any sort of external activity purely on account of the chaos that has now become prevalent on the roads and most other places. So it’s always a quiet get together with friends that is preferred.

This sort of sums it up:
Attached Thumbnails
What is your ideal New Year's Eve celebration like?-dab6797a51564000b368a859d8ef02d9.jpeg  

EV NXT is offline   (20) Thanks
Old 29th December 2021, 15:07   #8
Senior - BHPian

I’ll be honest. New Year has been just like any other day for me till date.

On few occasions, I have been to a local mall to enjoy the decorations else its mostly having a dinner and watching TV.

For having fun or going to the movies, special occasions like Christmas or new year do not matter for me. Infact, I like less crowd in the movie halls as there is mostly an idiot sitting behind me with a restless leg syndrome.
PaddleShifter is offline   (23) Thanks
Old 29th December 2021, 15:29   #9
Distinguished - BHPian

For me, 31st December has no relevance. It’s like any other night of the year. I don’t get the point of ‘celebration’ here. From a going out point of view, it is a night best avoided. Too many drunk idiots out on the roads, overcrowded and overpriced everything. Doesn’t matter if it is for dinner, to a mall, or a club or any out station holiday. Worst time of the year to head out.

Last edited by Shreyans_Jain : 29th December 2021 at 15:31.
Shreyans_Jain is online now   (46) Thanks
Old 29th December 2021, 15:54   #10
Distinguished - BHPian

Always at home with family. It has never been a big bash celebratory thing as nothing really changes between December 31 and January 1st. But at the same time, we all need some logical cut off points to start afresh and reflect and retrospect on the past duration and the rollover of a calendar year is definitely one of those.

So a quiet evening with family, some good food and staying awake till 12am if possible. Have never ever stepped out to celebrate the New Year.
Rajeevraj is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 29th December 2021, 20:31   #11
Distinguished - BHPian

The only thing I can think of right now are those New year memes.

Name:  images  20211229T202027.125.jpeg
Views: 210
Size:  12.0 KB

Kid - Jump up and down on countdown and see the light works across major cities on TV.

Teen- Fast food, juice/aerated drinks. Same TV.

College- Typical hostel hollering on countdown, till the warden comes out. Then sleep.

Youth- Sleep.

Also, around the millennium and further, all TV channels would be hung ho on countdowns and showing fireworks. Now, except some news channels showing some cursory videos of fireworks, it is business as usual in most TV channels.

BTW, I jumped straight from the first panel to the fourth panel.
Name:  images  20211229T201153.217.jpeg
Views: 306
Size:  56.9 KB

https://steemit.com/life/@hayleyuk/s...me-getting-old
DicKy is offline   (32) Thanks
Old 29th December 2021, 21:17   #12
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DicKy View Post
Kid - Jump up and down on countdown and see the light works across major cities on TV.

Teen- Fast food, juice/aerated drinks. Same TV.

College- Typical hostel hollering on countdown, till the warden comes out. Then sleep.

Youth- Sleep.

Also, around the millennium and further, all TV channels would be hung ho on countdowns and showing fireworks. Now, except some news channels showing some cursory videos of fireworks, it is business as usual in most TV channels.

BTW, I jumped straight from the first panel to the fourth panel.
I can related to the first 3 panels in the second meme, but nowadays I prefer celebrating with family and/or close friends at home with light drinks and barbecue
kvsriki is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th December 2021, 23:14   #13
BHPian

I strongly believe that there is no reason why 31st/New year should be treated any different/special from the rest of the 364 days.

Being a contrarian, just like in the stock markets , I would make hay and go overboard with my travel plans when people are being extra careful, and be careful when people are reckless and crowding at all places. So, it will most probably be a quiet new year for me, chilling out at home, when I believe that most of the people are desperate on being somewhere outside, to ring in the new year. But, am not ruling out anything a week or so after that, though
PearlJam is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 29th December 2021, 23:20   #14
Senior - BHPian

Never been in the party scene.

As a school kid, mom and me used to be up for new year moment watching the idiot box to pass time till midnight. Wish each other and sleep.
Grad school and Post grad - 2 years worth remembering.

2003 - which was spent in BA 35 with 10 minutes to touchdown in MAA.
2006 - We went to see ball drop in NYC, ended up 10 streets away. Watched the ball drop in a rest area in NJ enroute my friends' place outside Philly.

Since then
2010, I spent in a bus visiting my then infant daughter.
2020, Was in Patan in the middle of our GJ trip. Thanks to Parag who suggested, we had a wonderful visit to a (totally free) Becharaji Temple on New Year Eve night.

Every other year I've slept through the New Year moment.

These days, as long as I get some peace and quiet on New Years Eve and New Year Day, and don't have to get worked up with work. Am fine with it. This year, additional target was that none in my team spends the New Year night working. Last 2 years, 1 person ends up being unlucky.

Oh and one more thing. I am pretty sure to not spend the New year or day in some uber-expensive hotel or some popular temple.

I wouldn't mind doing a long haul on New Years' day, since it isn't popular for remaining world. So I can drive on near empty roads

Last edited by narayans80 : 29th December 2021 at 23:29.
narayans80 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 29th December 2021, 23:41   #15
Senior - BHPian

Always at home. 31st eve is so crowded everywhere that I make sure to avoid pubs/bars/restaurants like plague. At home with family/friends depending where I am. This year would be no different
SoumenD is offline   (3) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks