Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 14th September 2021, 01:55   #1
BHPian

Learning to drive much later in life

So I have a bit of an odd confession to make (for a car forum): while I’m 32 years old and have owned cars for well over a third of my life, I’ve never formally learnt how to drive or driven more than a few metres. My only actual driving experiences have been taking my beemer around, very tentatively, at 5kmph on a private road.

I didn’t have a dad around to teach me early in my life and the older I got, the more anxious I became of learning to drive or driving itself. Overwhelmed is the word I would use to express how I’d felt.

I’ve always had a chauffeur as being insulated from having to deal with the general nuisance on our roads was something I was happy to pay for.

Enter an unprecedented pandemic. The world as I knew it had been upended — nothing really made sense anymore. All three cars sat in the garage while the wife and I would carpool with our neighbors on their weekly supermarket run. As things started settling down, it dawned on me just how reliant I had become on having someone to drive me around.

As my wife had been driving years prior, she took over driving duties with the implicit understanding that I would learn soon, even if just for emergencies. After months of hemming and hawing, here I am. I started classes to learn how to drive stick last week and am about six classes in. While I understand an internal combustion engine and all the theory and science behind it, actually operating one myself has been a very revealing experience.

Before you ask, yes, I stalled the engine more than once and did tap the gas pedal when I intended to brake. With the initial nervousness gone, I’m now merely doing my best at getting my muscle memory right. I realised I do much better when I’m chatting with the instructor and letting my nascent muscle memory do the work instead of gripping the wheel and allowing myself to over-analyse myself into a spiral.

So as we end this, I have two questions:
  1. How did you learn how to drive? And from whom?
  2. What tips and advice do you have for folks learning to drive much later in their lives? Am I a lost cause at 32?
lordtottuu is offline   (35) Thanks
Old 14th September 2021, 02:03   #2
Team-BHP Support

Re: Learning to drive much later in life

I hope you are prepared for a million answers on this forum, a majority of which would say that they started before the legal driving age. The conservative ones (like me) started at 18 years and 1 day

That said, I don't think there will be a challenge at all for you to learn. My dad learnt at the age of 47, he didn't own a car before that. And from your post, it is quite evident that you've already won 70% of the battle. All it needs now is practice.

My only request is to learn on the Triber as much as possible, the other 2 are quite powerful machines and can be a handful for a new driver. And it always helps to know how to drive a manual (assuming that the Triber is a manual variant)

Last edited by Eddy : 14th September 2021 at 02:08.
Eddy is offline   (18) Thanks
Old 14th September 2021, 02:33   #3
BHPian

I learnt driving well before the legal age. It was on a Mahindra Jeep which one of my father's friend owned. We used to learn in a small stadium which had walls on all sides and there used to be no one expect for 3 of us (me, my younger brother and father's friend). Sometimes my father used to tag along as well. We started very early in the day as soon as there was sunrise and immediately stopped when we saw folks coming in to play. Once we learnt we were never allowed to touch the steering even though we bought a new Maruti 800.

Drove car on my own a few times again just before hitting the legal age due to certain circumstances since Dad wasn't always around (away for work). Got my driving license as soon as I turned 18 and have been driving since then. Till date my main mode of transport has either been a 2 wheeler (bike or cycle) and four wheelers. I can literally count the number of times I have been on a flight or train for personal reasons since I had a car (now in its 8th year) . Have driven quite a few cars during my US stint for a couple of years which refined my driving for good. I always had a flair for driving but it was only during my stay in US that I became a better driver in every possible way. With a overall mileage of close to 3 Lacs kms (may be slightly more as well - including cars, bikes or anything motorable) driving got polished as I piled on miles.

My younger brother learnt everything earlier than me since he used to start at the same time. But for him its a skill that he just needs to possess to make his life easier. I don't think he feels the joy of driving the way I do though he too loves good cars and bikes. He is okay to be driven around as well. Not me as I would prefer to be in the drivers seat as much as possible.

As with any other activity with practice one does become better but someone who loves the idea of driving will become a better driver in the long run. With cars you have in your garage I would expect that you too soon should fall in love with driving. Else you may learn driving but may not necessarily become a good driver.

Last edited by nibedk : 14th September 2021 at 02:34. Reason: Correction
nibedk is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 14th September 2021, 10:49   #4
BHPian

Congrats on taking the steps to learning to drive by yourself!
You are on the right track. Continue practicing to drive and you would get it in no time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lordtottuu View Post
  2. What tips and advice do you have for folks learning to drive much later in their lives? Am I a lost cause at 32?
1. I learned by enrolling myself into Maruti Driving School in Bangalore. I learned from the various instructors they had at the driving school. I was 28 when I joined the driving school for my driving lessons. Post completing my driving classes, I got my driving license.

2. Ensure that you learn it right the first time and learn it from the right people. I was taught everything from having to adjust the mirrors and the seating position before starting the car, checking the dashboard indicators, parking (parallel, perpendicular, angled), driving in congested situations, narrow lanes, free flowing city traffic, driving on mild inclines, driving over flyover, using the rear view mirrors, and many more. Most importantly, I was also given an overview of defensive driving. These truly gave me confidence to drive.

Thereafter, I bought my car after a couple of months and started driving from day one.

I was apprehensive initially, and I used to drive slowly and more cautiously, but, I kept at it. Cabs who honked behind me used to give me jitters; cabs, auto rickshaws, and two wheelers who drove with inches of separation between them and me used to give me anxiety. But, with time, I got a better understanding and gained better judgement of distances between my car and other vehicles.

With time, you gain a better understanding of the capabilities and limits of the car you drive, and its blind spots.

I also practiced defensive driving. With time on the road, through observations of patterns, my ability to anticipate the potential actions of other drivers increased. I practiced the thumb rule that, if something can go wrong, it will, and it's up to us to prevent it from happening.

I started making a few short distance highway trips after the first couple of months or so, thereby increasing my exposure to driving and the time I spent at the wheel and the kilometers I drove. With time, I gained confidence.

I took every opportunity to drive - I created many of them.
I enjoy driving and it's a cathartic experience for me.

At 32, you are not far from where I started at 28. You have the advantage of not having the adrenaline rush of the early years of life. You have less urge to prove a point to other road users. You are more in control of your decisions, and you have better maturity to let go of nonsensical behavior on roads and stay at peace, and not get worked up or get provoked by others' actions. So, you stand to benefit from starting at 32 years of age!

In a nutshell, my suggestion would be to increase the time you spend at the wheel, practice driving, and keep at it and you would be comfortable driving in no time!

All the best and happy driving!

Last edited by FlashMustang : 14th September 2021 at 10:55.
FlashMustang is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 14th September 2021, 11:04   #5
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I have tried to clarify, based on my own experiences.

1. Get Enrolled in a good quality driving school.
Maruti's Driving Schools are quite good. I recommend them.

2. My Father learnt driving at the age of 60.
An age of 32 is Nothing.
abhishek46 is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 14th September 2021, 11:41   #6
BHPian

Quote:
How did you learn how to drive? And from whom?
My friends Maruti van.
Always night driving, only, on lonely roads. Within ~2 hours I had managed to get a grip on things (read get the car rolling without stalling, change gears as required, brake without stalling and manage to stay in my lane)
After that it's just improving your skill every day. Even today after 30 years.

How do you get to Carnegie Hall?
Practice, practice, practice.

I believe this is true for all acquired skills.
So make yourself time, identify a safe space and give it a spin.

Quote:
What tips and advice do you have for folks learning to drive much later in their lives? Am I a lost cause at 32?
One day I realised my dad was leaving home earlier than usual. So I asked him why and he said, he is going for Yoga classes. Hearing this, my mom just smiled.

Later on, when he took us to book the car (Premier Padmini, floor shift, bucket seats), he confessed he had been attending some motor school to learn driving. There was no way he was going to let someone else drive his very first car home.
He was 55 back then.
RedTerrano is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 14th September 2021, 11:57   #7
BHPian

Learning driving is never too late mate. It is just the mind and the anxiousness which is typical for every Newbie driver. Dont worry about it and you are bound to get settled within a couple of weeks and your subconcious mind takes over.

Just ensure that you drive at a safe speed depending on the condition and vehicle density on the road, always maintain a safe distance from the vehicle in front, follow lane discipline, always use indictors when making a turn, use both side mirrors and rear mirror diligently, and never bring vehicle to an abrupt halt unless there is a critical emergency on the road ahead of you.

My father was always chauffeur driven when he was working and one fine day at 60 years he got retired and was given a car as parting gift. He could not even drive the car back home since he was zero on 4 wheeler driving. He started learning to drive at 60 years and did manage alone until he was 75. Now, we have plugged his driving due to his incidence of Vertigo occasionally. So age is just a number. Learning new skill is possible at any age as long as you are enjoying it.

For the record, I learned driving when I was 26. All the best as you start driving and I am sure you will enjoy every bit of it.
gopikb is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 14th September 2021, 12:04   #8
Senior - BHPian

I learned to drive on a used Sipani Dolphin I bought when I was about 33 years old! In fact I bought it just to learn driving! It is a relatively young age to learn, trust me. I occassionally see retired gents learning to drive in my vicinity, and buy a car from their retirement funds!

I had been riding Motorbikes from 18 years of age, of course. So there was no fear about the traffic. I was used to road conditions. I thought what is the big deal, a car simply has two more wheels and clutch/brake/throttle are placed differently and one has to account for the bigger dimensions than a bike.

The friend from whom I bought the Dolphin brought and left it at my home.I employed an old friend from my school days who was driving cabs, as my "instructor". He applied for and got me a learner licence. The first day he drove the car with me in the passenger seat, to an open ground. I learned to engage first/second/third gears and slowly drive around the open lot. The second day I myself slowly drove the car in first gear to his home nearby, from where he took the wheel and drove to the same ground. That day it was about engaging and driving in reverse gear. He placed some rocks to simulate "In" and "Out" gates, parked cars etc and I had to drive in/out/around them in reverse. We spent two to three hours in the ground on both days.

From day three he made me drive on the road, with him as passenger and corrected / instructed me as we went along. I went up to top gear and drove at moderate speeds. In about ten days I felt comfortable and terminated his services, paying the agreed amount of Rs 500! After a month I appeared for and got the LMV endorsement in my licence. That was in 1993!
Gansan is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 14th September 2021, 12:07   #9
Senior - BHPian

My Mom Learnt to drive at 53, she knew the basics and had learnt to drive earlier too; but could never continue with it.
At 53 she was taught to drive by my Wife, and she was extremely patient with her.
The moment she was confident, she bought a car, and didn't look back
akshay4587 is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 14th September 2021, 12:23   #10
BHPian

Quote:
What tips and advice do you have for folks learning to drive much later in their lives? Am I a lost cause at 32?
Did I read it right? 32? .

18 years is the legally allowed age to drive. Does not mean a few years later you are a lost cause .

Just like many others I too learnt in a driving school. Better to do the initial learning in another car with an instructor, fuel and RTO work taken care of in the expenses.

That initial experience in a driving school will make learning slightly easier when you drive your own car.
Nalin1 is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 14th September 2021, 12:41   #11
BHPian

I started to learn driving when I was sixteen and was pretty good by the time I turned 18 years old.

My Dad's chauffeur taught me how to drive and he did a great job and ensured that I do not develop any bad habits early on. I learnt to drive in an Ambassador and than later on in a Mahindra Jeep.

Age is not a barrier unless you are pushing 70 so don't let that bother you.

Please keep the following in mind while learning to drive.

Develop the habit of looking as far as you can see on the highways and even on city streets where possible.

Do not allow the instructor to teach you to disengage the clutch while braking unless you have to change gears. You drop a gear when then let out the clutch. Learn how to brake without using the clutch for small decreases in speed.

This is one common habit I have noticed amongst most drivers who learnt driving through driving schools.

Learn when to use the horn, indicators and the dipper.

Develop the habit of retaining a gear for a given speed rather than changing gears up and down all the time during city driving.

Read the driving rules and regulations published by the RTO.

Practice three point turns and parallel parking.

Keep practicing and all the best!!!
Yusha is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 14th September 2021, 14:17   #12
BHPian

High-fi!
I was never a fan of driving and never touched the steering of my dad's car. I booked my car when I was 34 and then enrolled for driving classes. 10 30-minute classes from Maruti Driving School. That is all I drove when my car got delivered. Got the car home with the help of a friend and was reluctant to drive that day. The next day I gathered all the courage I had and took the car out from basement with my cousin seated next to me. That was the toughest part mentally. It got easier once the car was on road. I used to drive 1-2 hours on empty roads early in the morning and gradually started driving in traffic. I gave a million cardiac arrests to my family whenever the car stalled or rolled back at traffic signals on inclines. They are very brave I must say
I am doing fine now. I drive defensively and don't do high speeds or rev >4000. But I am enjoying driving with my family around and music on. I drove around 14000km in the first year with 80% of it without a set destination and wonder why I started late!
papr23 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 14th September 2021, 18:51   #13
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Never too late, brother. Never too late. Welcome to the world of (automotive) pleasure. Once you've driven a nice car (like your BMW 5-Series) on a nice road, it's an addiction for life. I wouldn't worry about being too late at 32, but I would certainly try to make up for those lost 14 years with even more road-trips .

Please do read through the forum; there is a ton of advice for newbie drivers & best driving practices. One suggestion = learn on your cheaper cars. The 525d will cost a bomb to repair & isn't really a newbie driver's ideal choice.

P.S. I'm 44 and don't know how to swim!
GTO is offline   (18) Thanks
Old 14th September 2021, 19:20   #14
BHPian

There is no right age to learn driving. I have a cousin of mine who learnt driving well into his 60s. Once you have learnt driving or rather the basics of driving, it all boils down to experience.
I learnt driving at a very young age (well below legal) and I learnt it in an Ambassador Mark 2 with a stick shift on the steering column. At one point in time, I wished I had at least 3 legs, 2 for the ABC and 1 for the dim/dip level which was strangely positioned on the floor of the ambassador. It was a tremendous workout for the legs and the hands as well, but manoeuvring an elephant gave me the confidence to take any vehicle around the most crowded of places.
The most important part of learning is once you have got the ABC under control, it's all about putting it into practice. I invariably clocked 2 hours of driving every day for the first 3 months and then within 6 months managed to hit the highway.

Please learn in a less expensive car with manual transmission. While the world has gone towards auto transmission, the joy of driving in my opinion still lies in knowing when to change and which gear to change to

Happy learning and driving
subraiyr is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 14th September 2021, 19:26   #15
Distinguished - BHPian

Congrats on stepping on the gas ! 32 is not old, and has the advantage of maturity towards responsible driving - than what is seen of many young drivers today.

How did I learn to drive ? Well:
1. Sitting in a Padmini and doing mock driving - but actually pressing the clutch and brake. The car was parked on a mild slope and it actually went forward a bit. It wasnt even our car.
2. On a college trip - asking the bus driver if he would teach me - on the trip, while others were having fun. The gall I had.
3. Most important lessons I got- observing Karnataka and Tamil Nadu STC bus drivers negotiating traffic - city, highways, rural roads, and ghats.

Of course, actual training came later. Driving only after getting a licence.

Have fun. Drive safe. Have fun.
condor is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks