Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 18th September 2021, 01:48   #61
Team-BHP Support

Re: Learning to drive much later in life

You may have missed a few early years, but you've still got decades of driving ahead of you.

Patience & practice, the only two things you need besides a car.

Also, given your significant other is also a driver, imagine the epic road trip possibilities once you can share the driving time.

Good luck!
Chetan_Rao is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 18th September 2021, 03:29   #62
BHPian

Not a problem at all. 32 is hardly anything. I learnt when we bought our first car. By myself. I was 23. Dad was 53. So ya dad learnt at 53. So 32 is not an issue at all.
rageshgr is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th September 2021, 16:25   #63

Just go for it. The initial anxiety is real and there's no denying it - but will wither away the more you drive. Also, there's no point in engaging with the crazies you will see on the road. Your best driving days are ahead of you. Enjoy and good luck!
trishulpani is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th September 2021, 20:21   #64
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by lordtottuu View Post
  1. How did you learn how to drive? And from whom?
  2. What tips and advice do you have for folks learning to drive much later in their lives? Am I a lost cause at 32?
I learnt driving on my friend's Second hand Maruti 800 in 2001.
Crashed it twice.
.> Once during backing up mistook the accelerator for brake [ common mistake I suppose ].
.> Was driving too fast rounding the corner and crashed into Police Barricade at 2:00 am. Thankfully there was no one around.
[ Again no control over the speed ]

I practiced a lot trying to hold the car in position on a slope using the clutch.
That gave me a lot of confidence on controlling the car on road.

My two cents
---------------
Figure out the minimum Safe distance/gap in front the car, align it to some point on the car. Like middle/top/bottom of the ORVM.

Like wise for safe distance on the sides, with some fixed point on the left and right bonnet.

I am in the same boat as you, but with Bikes/Scooters. I am good with cycle. but never graduated to bike. [ just rode neighbor's bullet few times in late 1900s ]
Now have to get a scooter for my daughter and want to learn riding it on road first.
Would love to get some tips for me.
narmad is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st September 2021, 17:12   #65
BHPian

I started pretty much around the same age. 33. My first car was a Maruti 800 that I had actually gifted my parents and I then bought myself a Santro. After driving a Fiesta and Cruz, I now drive a Honda CVT. I have come to love the pleasure and comfort that automatics bring.

The biggest advantage of having started at 33 is I am a sedate and defensive driver. I enjoy long drives and I realized not revving the life out of an engine is not a big deal in loving the journey. Plus being witness to many accidents live was an added deterrent!

As I mentioned in another thread, the one on deaths in Indian roads, we need a lot many more sedate and defensive drivers. And a later start is usually likely to render that possibility.

Good luck and happy motoring!

Last edited by Arun Varma : 21st September 2021 at 17:17.
Arun Varma is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th September 2021, 19:06   #66
BHPian

Resham Bhai Tanwar, a 90 year old woman from Madhya Pradesh learns to drive! Truly awe inspiring story! This proves that if you have an inclination to learn something, age is never a limitation, it's just a number after all.
Old 28th February 2022, 12:46   #67
BHPian

Hello, hello! So it's been almost 6 months since I made the post and I'm happy to report back that I've successfully obtained my driver's license.

Couldn't really practice as much as I was hoping to as it's been a rather tumultuous span of time though with COVID cases and (unrelated) hospitalizations that we had to deal with. Realized I was almost going to run out of time to take my test so asked the school to make an appointment for the test hoping I could get a handle on things in a week.

As much as I used to love tests during school and uni days, gotta say, this test had me incredibly nervous as I felt quite unprepared. Plus, months of no practice really had atrophied the road sense and control I had learnt.

On the day of the test, I was asked to report in at 7am which we dutifully got early to. Stood around for an hour or so at which point the inspector came. Oddly, the test was basically just getting me get the car moving and taking it up to 4th gear. I was told it was going to be on an empty road, which it was when we arrived early in the morning, but not during the test. One and a half lanes is no place for two cars so it was a little nerve wracking.

Thankfully, no mistakes were made during the test so here I am, the newest member of the "oh yeah, I drive" club and a proud recipient of a driver's license.

I don't think I'll be taking the cars into the city quite yet (too chaotic) but knowing I can if I needed to is all I really wanted out of this exercise.

Thank you for all the encouragement and wishes in this thread. Made me realize I wasn't quite the oddball I thought I was. Happy driving and adieu, folks!
lordtottuu is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 28th February 2022, 14:30   #68
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by lordtottuu View Post
Hello, hello! So it's been almost 6 months since I made the post and I'm happy to report back that I've successfully obtained my driver's license.
Massive congratulations!

The first few thousand kilometers will still be difficult but after that, you will stop having to use your brain while driving - it will be almost entirely muscle memory. And that's when it driving becomes a very pleasure-filled activity. Get ready to enjoy those road trips from a different seat!

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks