Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

View Poll Results: Would you port out your Vodafone Idea connection?
Yes 79 48.17%
No 13 7.93%
I will wait and watch 71 43.29%
Others (Please comment) 1 0.61%
Voters: 164. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 11th September 2021, 11:40   #46
Senior - BHPian

Re: Vodafone-Idea connection | Keep or port?

I have been using a "Vi" since 1998. Started as RPG Cellular in MP.. later moved to Orange -> Hutch -> Vodafone -> Vi.

In my experience, due to "Work From Home", network issues are no longer relevant. Most of the times cell is connected via WiFi (VoWiFI), so network quality does not matter as much.

In Wait and Watch mode. Will port out if Vi folds over.
NetfreakBombay is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th September 2021, 12:50   #47
Distinguished - BHPian

For a country like India, it is absolutely essential to have at least 3 telecom operators. I believe the Government of India fully understands this. I do not expect that Vodafone Global will pour any more money into India after the re-cast of the business from Vodafone to Vi. However, I believe the Government of India will offer some type of deferment in the payment schedule for spectrum charges, only to make sure that our three existing operators continue as going concerns. Imagine a world with only Airtel and jio as the telecom service providers in this country. We all know that jio is playing an aggressive pricing game only to win market share and push out their existing players. The moment there is no competition, Reliance jio will hike the rates to unreasonable levels. As one of the least philanthropic and most profit seeking big business houses in the country, I would expect no more from Reliance.

Having a duopoly also hurts the government - imagine the next spectrum auction- if jio and Airtel are the only bidders, this is definitely going to mean the monetization opportunity from the spectrum for the government is going to come down due to lower competition.
84.monsoon is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 12th September 2021, 00:27   #48
BHPian

Experience shared of Rajasthan circle here.

Got a Hutch Postpaid connection in 2005 & ported it out earlier this year in March to Jio after complaints of being out of coverage area despite showing full signal strength & also voice not audible on the other side issues.

I had got my other no. ported from Aircel to Jio in 2017 & was pretty satisfied with what was promised & what was offered, hence, when VI looked out of sorts, took the decision with a heavy heart.

Even the SMS notifications received of complaint resolution in VI were mere notifications of Service Request closure whereas in Jio, the SMS provided details of the action taken while closing any complaint. It looked like their service level standards had fallen from Vodafone to Idea levels !!

I've seen a co. struggle with its corporate connections getting lost when RCom (Reliance ADA group) folded up & they were unable to port them out with no support available from the operator. Was lucky to port out of Aircel an year before they folded up !!

Therefore, use pragmatism & not emotions while sticking with VI. It is good for the consumers to have 3 strong operators fighting it out but if you see any signs of VI shutting shop, plz port out while it is still possible !!
ScorpioYadav is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th September 2021, 15:47   #49
BHPian

Being a Vi customer for 15+ years even when the network coverage is pretty bad where I live, took the plunge and applied for portability to AirTel. I gave a lot of thought about 'wait and watch' but decided against it. Would rather switch now and hope for a miracle than wait and be forced to do it along with tens and thousands of customers. If that happens who knows how long it might take. Easy to get it done today as the choice of the operator is mine today which may not be the case tomorrow.
drivingme.crazy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th September 2021, 20:30   #50
BHPian

Most happy with below news
Some respite for telecom and Vodafone

https://www.reuters.com/world/india/...ce-2021-09-15/
anoopap is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 15th May 2022, 08:45   #51
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnS_12 View Post

On Vi surviving or packing up from India I guess they never had that intention and all this negative publicity has made the government to come to their senses and get things in line for the telecom sector.

1) If they had to leave they would have no spent on their rebranding exercise last year

2) They wouldn’t have bided for the 5g spectrum or work towards it

3) Further Vi has a good amount of 2G customer base which Jio cannot absorb as they have a pure 4G network and Airtel don’t have the infrastructure in place for the additional load

4) Finally I feel Vi is trying to get its debt down which it owns to the government

As an investor in VI i would find out if my understanding learning on Vi has been correct or not in the coming weeks/months
Hello SNS,
It's been 8 months since your post above. Whats your current view on VI?
I ask this question, not because, I intend buy VI but because, I, like many other BHPians, have booked XUV 700 AWD, which comes with a VI SIM. The VI network is non existent in my region. Just wondering if the network will improve in the days to come, considering the 35% slashing of reserve prices in the 5 G auction.
ColAjayDrives is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th May 2022, 12:01   #52
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColAjayDrives View Post
Whats your current view on VI?

The VI network is non existent in my region. Just wondering if the network will improve in the days to come, considering the 35% slashing of reserve prices in the 5 G auction.
Since, the current government and management are serious about them surviving and continuing business in India I believe they will improve their service offerings in India and 5G is what they would aiming towards.

Further in March 2022 VI has added active users for the first time since the merger between Vodafone and Idea. And also Vodafone have increased their shareholding.

So, if they plan to grow in India from here the service improvement is the way forward.
SnS_12 is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks