Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

View Poll Results: Would you port out your Vodafone Idea connection?
Yes 79 48.17%
No 13 7.93%
I will wait and watch 71 43.29%
Others (Please comment) 1 0.61%
Voters: 164. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 9th September 2021, 12:38   #16
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Re: Vodafone-Idea connection | Keep or port?

Quote:
Originally Posted by warrioraks View Post
All operators are equally unpredictable when it comes to customer service.
As a wise man (i.e. me ) once said, "the best customer service is the one that's never required". I am using a Jio SIM since a couple of months and haven't needed to call them even once. I moved to Jio Broadband at my home-office 2 years back and have never needed to call them.

It just works! Their infrastructure & maintenance is spectacular.
GTO is offline   (17) Thanks
Old 9th September 2021, 12:42   #17
Team-BHP Support

In my house, we have two Vodafone connections, one Jio and two Airtel - all postpaid. Jio has been the better amongst these but the quality is going down steadily, and VI is better than Airtel. So, as much as I'd like to, I can't port.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
the worst was business contacts telling me my phone was unreachable when I was in a good network area.
VI has been smart - they've monetised their lack of network, it has generated a new revenue stream - Missed Call Alerts. I spend 30/month on the MCA for the very reason that the phone can often be unreachable.
libranof1987 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 9th September 2021, 12:51   #18
Senior - BHPian

Voted: Others

I ported from Vodafone to Airtel in November, 2019. Been with Vodafone since the mobile bandwagon started. Their service used to be excellent at one time, call reception/quality, customer service over the phone or otherwise. They went completely downhill and became so pathetic that I had to move over. Airtel is ok but not of the caliber that Vodafone was in its hay day.

Cheers
Cyborg is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 9th September 2021, 13:19   #19
BHPian

Quote:
As a wise man (i.e. me ) once said, "the best customer service is the one that's never required".
Agreed GTO, true words of wisdom

Quote:
I am using a Jio SIM since a couple of months and haven't needed to call them even once. I moved to Jio Broadband at my home-office 2 years back and have never needed to call them.

Unfortunately this is no longer true - atleast in Delhi NCR. Have been a Jiofiber customer for 3 years and Jiosim customer for 2 years. They were fantastic initially when they had excess capacity however in recent times, it is turning out to be like any other operator.

To quote an example - My internet conked off last week. Took them four days to resolve it. The biggest point of grief was no one in the call center, twitter or their support email was able to provide a clear ETA. One person on the phone said that engineer visit is booked. On following up next day, I was told engineer visit is not reflecting in the system. They were just all over the place.
To draw an automotive analogy, I would equate Jio to Kia in some sense. They come all shining and glittery because of the newer infra they have as compared to older rivals. But slowly and steadily as the horror stories come up, you realize it is just old wine in a new bottle when it comes to customer service.

Last edited by warrioraks : 9th September 2021 at 13:22.
warrioraks is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 9th September 2021, 14:09   #20
Senior - BHPian

Ported from VI (originally Vodafone sim) to Jio 10-20 days back.

The main reason was quality of voice and internet speed on my phone. Was reluctant to do the porting since I had been using this number for a very long time (BPL -->Hutch --> Vodafone). However the quality of service was affecting my communication and I had no other option. However I did face a small issue initially. After the three days time period and insertion of new Jio sim, folks who had VI sim (originally Vodafone) could not reach my phone. Whenever they tried to call me, they would be alerted that the number doesn't exist. However other network users plus Idea (VI) customers could reach me. I had no issue with internet or outgoing calls, even to Vodafone (VI) customers. This problem persisted for two days after the porting was complete and I raised a concern. After two days this issue went away. So far the Jio experience has been good
TrackDay is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 9th September 2021, 14:20   #21

Though I am not a Vi customer, I will recommend porting out now than wait for later time if/when the company collapses. It will be nightmare with millions of porting request and no one will be bothered to respond.
Also it may take time for the recipient company to process the request.
Double trouble if Vi sim is the default one for banks and financial transactions.
Techani is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 9th September 2021, 14:26   #22
BHPian

Quote:
Thanks Rush for your comments. I earlier mentioned my aversion towards JIO and the reason for it has been echoed by Bhpian warrioraks:

Quote:
Originally Posted by warrioraks View Post
Unfortunately this is no longer true - atleast in Delhi NCR. Have been a Jiofiber customer for 3 years and Jiosim customer for 2 years. They were fantastic initially when they had excess capacity however in recent times, it is turning out to be like any other operator.
This has been a trend with Reliance telecom since the time they entered telecom in 2004. Their mantra is to poach customers with ridiculously low prices and get them onto their network, destroy the competition, and once the consumer has limited options, raise prices, deliver bad quality of service or both.

Example: The ₹501 mobile phone scheme introduced in the early 2000s made a lot of people take up or jump to reliance and eventually, the company statted delivering bad service and eventual has disappeared without trace. (CDMA technology to blame partially).

This "lower prices to unrealistic levels and destroy competition-poach customers- use leverage to profit" business philosophy of RIL is not what I personally align with

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyborg View Post
I ported from Vodafone to Airtel in November, 2019. Been with Vodafone since the mobile bandwagon started. Their service used to be excellent at one time, call reception/quality, customer service over the phone or otherwise. They went completely downhill and became so pathetic that I had to move over. Airtel is ok but not of the caliber that Vodafone was in its hay day.
Very true. I would say that the quality provided by Vodafone in the early years of telecom boom in India is still the benchmark for Indian telecom companies. I wonder if we would get to see that again in the future.
govindremesh is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th September 2021, 15:23   #23
Distinguished - BHPian

I had been a Vodafone customer for almost 15-16 years before I decided to port. The only reason I did so was due to the network issues in both my home and office locations. I first took a Jio SIM as a back up, but that failed because my vodafone number was too entrenched. Then I ported to Airtel which was a super smooth process. Finally it benefitted because I was able to bundle all my connections- mobile, broadband, STB, family connections into one Airtel Family bundle which worked out cheaper. I continue to use Jio for the data and as a back up.

Bottom line, in my view, port if you are having network issues or if it makes financial sense with other Airtel/Jio services. Otherwise, if you are happy with the services, better to wait and watch.
Rajeevraj is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 9th September 2021, 18:39   #24
BHPian

Definitely port out!

The Vodafone data service is third-class and even that's an understatement. Randomly switches to 2G in the middle of use; and that too in a completely open setting, not within a sheltered space. Clients used to complain that I was unreachable in the middle of the day, even though my phone showed full network. Vodafone was never the best network here in Mumbai, IMHO.

I use both Airtel and Jio and am supremely happy with both. Yes, Jio data used to be lightning fast when it entered the market, but I guess it was expected to suffer as more people joined the network. Airtel has always given me consistent and quality service over the past 10 years.
IamNikhil is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th September 2021, 19:06   #25
AZT
BHPian

Long time Voda customer, had ported to Jio when they launched but didnt get good network at my office then. This is on the 15th floor in the centre of Mumbai so wrote to them if they have a plan to improve coverage etc. and there was a long back and forth. They even sent someone with a small hand held device which determines signal quality and strength.

Long story short, gave Jio a few months but when nothing changed in terms of network quality, moved back to Voda. Currently Vodafone global has written off its India investment completely and it's Idea running the full show. I'm confident the company will stay afloat and also satisfied with the service as of now so will stay put.
AZT is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 9th September 2021, 19:22   #26
BHPian

Vi has some issues
1.At times, one cannot make a call. Leave aside call quality, you can't even make a call.
2.Internet won't work in certain apps. I faced a similar issue with Jio also at times.

Even though such issues exist, it is still a few(at least for me). One will get irritated too when these things occur even if it is rare.

Still I am using Vi because of some positives
1.I am getting double data for the same price.
Watch Youtube at 1080p or 4k without worry of running out of data.
Watch online classes without buying additional data and you can share it with others.
2.I am still having 50 rupees coupon.
3.Weekend data rollover is a great feature.(Enjoy Sundays, watching movies in higher quality)
4.Free internet from 12am to 6am.(Download infinite number of movies and games)
5.Though not reliable, Vi is still faster than others(at least for me)

All of this is not applicable if budget is not an issue. I am adjusting to little inconveniences by Vi and enjoying it for the rest of the time.
The21st is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 9th September 2021, 19:42   #27
Senior - BHPian

Already ported last year.

Network and data issues had spiralled upwards while the customer care had the same age old response with no resolution. After 2-3 instances moved over to Airtel since wanted a 2G network based SIM as primary for far off places and feature phone compatibility if needed.
Not even a single issue till date.

Airtel/Jio both are good but do port out is the point.
shancz is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th September 2021, 22:04   #28
BHPian

Just a few days ago, my father's Vodafone post paid plan has been automatically changed. I am planning to port it to BSNL.

Data plans are irrelevant to him and he only uses it for calls. Just how good is the BSNL for mobile ? I am using their Internet connection in my hometown it is fine.

Is it possible to port Vodafone post paid to other network prepaid ?
amvj is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th September 2021, 22:15   #29
BHPian

I just ported my Mom's Vodaphone-Idea connection to Jio a few days back.

One major irritant, apart from the poor network obviously, was that they would automatically enable paid caller tunes to her number without even our approval. Happened thrice or four times over the past couple of months. I thought about the time I would waste arguing or complaining to their customer service about this issue would better be utilized if I just walk-in to the nearest Jio store and submit my port request. And that's what I did.
Sherlocked is online now   (5) Thanks
Old 9th September 2021, 22:49   #30
BHPian

I had been using this network since the time it was called Hutch in Bangalore from the year 2003, until July 2021, when I was forced to port to airtel because of poor connectivity and frequent call drops.
What is the use of a phone network when you cannot connect to people? Your smartphone is akin to a paperweight!

Vodafone was once the most loved network. Maybe that was the reason I delayed porting to another service provider, but one's patience does wear off with time.
Neur0t0xin is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks