Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 23rd August 2021, 12:25   #1
Senior - BHPian

Elon Musk confirms Tesla is working on a 'Humanoid Robot' prototype; unveil in 2022

Elon Musk has confirmed that Tesla is working on developing a prototype of a 'Humanoid Robot', designed to carry out 'boring, repetitious and dangerous' work. Musk confirmed the development at the Tesla AI day held last week, while also stating that the prototype will be unveiled in 2022.

Elon Musk confirms Tesla is working on a 'Humanoid Robot' prototype; unveil in 2022-teslahumanoidrobot1.jpg

Talking about the humanoid robot, Elon Musk stated that it would be 5ft 8inches tall, weigh 56 kg and be capable of accomplishing a number of tasks. This includes attaching bolts to a car and even picking up groceries from a local shop.

Elon Musk confirms Tesla is working on a 'Humanoid Robot' prototype; unveil in 2022-teslahumanoidrobot2.jpg

The Tesla bot will come with a face-mounted screen to display relevant information. The bot will be engineered to be 'friendly'. It will have a top speed of 8 km/h, which will allow an average human being to easily outrun it. The Tesla bot has been codenamed 'Optimus'.

Link to Team-BHP news
RahulNagaraj is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 23rd August 2021, 13:02   #2
BHPian

Re: Elon Musk confirms Tesla is working on a 'Humanoid Robot' prototype; unveil in 2022

Interesting. This reminds me of a movie that I recently saw. An inventor replaces his AI on phone with a human bot. The phone AI feels humiliated and plans to take revenge on humans.

I am not sure but I would feel the creeps walking around human bots. But it can be a worthy addition to senior citizens living alone abroad as the labour cost is high & bot can be a one time investment. Wonder if Elon is thinking of delivering them on a subscription basis.
Considering Elon Musk's past innovations, I am sure he will showcase the prototype in 2022 followed by a long wait for actual deliveries of the bot.
Dhillon is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 23rd August 2021, 13:06   #3
Senior - BHPian

Re: Elon Musk confirms Tesla is working on a 'Humanoid Robot' prototype; unveil in 2022

Between Musk's bot and boston dynamic's robots, it's going to be a crazy future
Old 23rd August 2021, 13:13   #4
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dhillon View Post
Considering Elon Musk's past innovations, I am sure he will showcase the prototype in 2022 followed by a long wait for actual deliveries of the bot.
Given how specific details like 56 kg is mentioned - I would guess they are already way ahead in development.
Old 23rd August 2021, 15:06   #5
Senior - BHPian

The pricing is the most important aspect for these initiatives to succeed. I mean how many model will you sell for emergency response or hazardous tasks. Its the mass market homes that will get you volumes and profit for break even on investment. After all we still have cheaper (if not cheap) labor services around the world that employs lot of people. May be even ecommerce delivery will also benefit from using these.

We were youngsters when in late 90s the news of ASIMO by Honda intrigued us of a different future. Unfortunately that collapsed in 2018 as it was expensive at meagre 2 million dollars plus price tag even though it did have a lot of what upcoming future in robot servant showcases to accomplish.

I think long term plan for these may also include replacing humans in space flights to reduce hazards and accomplish better output beyond smaller rovers.

And on a related note, like our cars, our bots should also be upgradable with accessories to suit "various" needs of the owner.

Last edited by haisaikat : 23rd August 2021 at 15:11.
Old 23rd August 2021, 15:38   #6
BHPian

Tesla's bot looks promising (aesthetically & functionally), as Elon Musk mentioned they want the Bot to be able to carry out precise tasks.

Interestingly, while discussing the bot's navigational aids during the presentation, they mentioned "Autopilot Cameras", "Full Self Driving Computers". I guess they are using the same Computers/Cameras used in Tesla Cars. He mentioned that Tesla Cars are essentially Robots on Wheels and the bot would need that computational power to execute the precise tasks.

Along with the hardware being shared with Cars, Elon Musk's other company NeuraLink could be the one developing the bot.

Pricing & Battery Life would be a major factor for the success of this product, can't wait for the final reveal in 2022.
Attached Thumbnails
Elon Musk confirms Tesla is working on a 'Humanoid Robot' prototype; unveil in 2022-teslabot3.jpg  

Old 3rd October 2022, 15:37   #7
Senior - BHPian

Tesla unveils its humanoid robot prototype on AI Day

Last year, Elon Musk confirmed that Tesla is working on a humanoid robot, designed to carry out "boring, repetitious and dangerous work". Now, during the recently concluded Tesla AI Day, the company has unveiled two prototypes of the humanoid robot.

Elon Musk confirms Tesla is working on a 'Humanoid Robot' prototype; unveil in 2022-teslarobot1.jpg

The first prototype is called Bumble C, which was developed with 'semi-off-the-shelf' actuators and serves as a test bed for Tesla's first robot using in-house parts. The humanoid robot was able to walk around the stage and wave at the audience. However, Tesla did showcase videos of the robot performing a few tasks under controlled environments.

Elon Musk confirms Tesla is working on a 'Humanoid Robot' prototype; unveil in 2022-teslarobot2.jpg

The second prototype was the Optimus, which is said to better represent the version of the humanoid robot Tesla plans to put into production. The Optimus robot couldn't walk like the previous prototype, but Musk confirmed it will be able to walk in the coming weeks.

Elon Musk confirms Tesla is working on a 'Humanoid Robot' prototype; unveil in 2022-teslarobot3.jpg

The Tesla Optimus humanoid robot is said to come with in-house designed actuators, battery packs and power electronics. Tesla also stated that the humanoid robot is powered by a 2.3kWh battery pack, which should be sufficient to run the robot for a day's worth of work. The Optimus is also said to be equipped with a "self-driving computer", the same which is also inside the company's electric vehicles.

Elon Musk also confirmed that once in production, the Optimus humanoid robot could cost under US$20,000.

Source: Electrek

Link to Team-BHP news

Last edited by RahulNagaraj : 3rd October 2022 at 15:39.
RahulNagaraj is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd October 2022, 16:23   #8
BHPian

Like his autonomous driving technology, there is lot of promising. Most features wont work in the unveiling but will be in production models for sure !

They choose nice names though
PreludeSH is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 3rd October 2022, 20:31   #9
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PreludeSH View Post
Like his autonomous driving technology, there is lot of promising. Most features wont work in the unveiling but will be in production models for sure !

Add to it - But why? Whats the purpose?

Add to the long list of promises
Cybertruck
Semi
Roadster 2.0
Solar roof with tiles
maddy42 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th October 2022, 05:27   #10
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PreludeSH View Post
On a lighter note, I wish they had named it Tesla 800 (or T800 in short)
Dry Ice is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 5th October 2022, 12:36   #11
BHPian

I wouldn't go so far as to call this hot air but seeing how the Roadster 2.0, Cybertruck, Semi-truck and "a million fully autonomous taxis" are coming along, I'd peg this at a 2025 pre-launch, 2030 launch and 2035 first deliveries.

Hey, maybe the first one will be delivered to some schmuck on Mars! Wouldn't that be a spectacle?!

On a serious note- this just looks like something to keep the balls (stock..*cough!*..prices) up in the air. Tesla just has "it", doesn't it? The fanboys will scoop it up and the media will do what it does with anything the great Muskness says or does. Big monies make big space rockets.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks