Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 18th August 2021, 16:10   #16
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: India Book of Records - A dark story

Mega scamsters, who are making merry at the expense of the gullible. Also, they seem to be revelling by aggrandising the petty "record" creators most of them being bikers. The Limca Book of Records (est 1990) is more authentic where they have stricter procedures to authenticate potential record creators and to vet the record after due verification.

Maybe, this India Book of Records' spin doctor's team could be subject to scrutiny and punitive action by the Competition Commission of India.
anjan_c2007 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 18th August 2021, 17:22   #17
Senior - BHPian

Okay but before we derail further, which absurd record did you submit? 😁

P. S. Fan of all your threads. Keep it up!
amol4184 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 18th August 2021, 18:04   #18
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amol4184 View Post
Okay but before we derail further, which absurd record did you submit? 😁

P. S. Fan of all your threads. Keep it up!
Haha thanks! I ended up not submitting any record at all, India Book of Records defeated me completely, I could not think of anything that was more stupid than stuff they had already certified and proudly displayed on their website.
RiderZone is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 18th August 2021, 18:27   #19
BHPian

Thanks for posting this and I appreciate your effort in digging into something like this.

I actually thought that the India Book of Record was something run by our government.

Last edited by kamilharis : 18th August 2021 at 18:39.
kamilharis is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th August 2021, 20:01   #20
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RiderZone View Post
Look at this person for example, how happy she is about her "3rd INDIA BOOK OF RECORD", holding a certificate for something that's clearly not even a record! But you can also see why people pull these stupid stunts, the post has 86,000 likes. That's a good return on investment of 6000 bucks.

Attachment 2194908
The day this was posted on her profile, I had called it out. First, Instagram gave me a warning that I might be violating their guidelines. I went ahead and posted it nonetheless. During the actual 3-4 seconds that it takes to post the comment, I saw a warning message that my comment might be removed since the words used are similar to other comments which have been reported.

Needless to say, my comment is no longer visible under the post.

I fully acknowledge the fact that vlogging is a tough job but nowadays even established "Youtubers" are stooping so low just to create content.

One popular Youtuber recently had uploaded a daily vlog with a thumbnail of his soon-to-be born child's USG with the caption "baccha kiska hai re babaaa??" (Who's kid is this?).

This level of stupidity and desperation is just appalling.
Rhik94 is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 18th August 2021, 21:01   #21
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RiderZone View Post
Haha thanks! I ended up not submitting any record at all, India Book of Records defeated me completely, I could not think of anything that was more stupid than stuff they had already certified and proudly displayed on their website.
Here's one i can think of. Most number of groups, motorcycle companies, motorcycle brand fanbois offended ever. Like EVER. Lol!

This thread is insane man. I sent out some of the pictures in the opening post to some of the groups i am a part of and we had such a laugh. I hope brand participation with some of these idiot influencers goes down the drain.

Such a pity that we run after such lame duck influencers when the real influencers are out there helping people less fortunate, saving lives, and being a good influence on the planet.

Such a pity.
Red Liner is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 18th August 2021, 21:14   #22
Senior - BHPian

Thanks RiderZone for sharing.

Bogus records and claims is the trend now.

Off topic. Whenever a new road opens up somewhere in the Himalayas, there is a hoard of bikers who ride to it and claim to be the first in many YouTube videos. No offense to bikers, but claiming to be the first is no achievement in my opinion.

Off late there was a female biker who claimed to have scaled Umling La solo. Well there is nothing great even if she had done it properly. From the photos it was quite evident that she was supported by various agencies. Some other female on Facebook claimed otherwise. On the otherhand Umling La was scaled in 2017 by quite a few riders when it was a dirt track.

The idea of travelling is to enjoy the beauty, take photos and videos for yourself. If your primary aim is to post on social media, then there is something wrong.

Last edited by ruzbehxyz : 18th August 2021 at 21:20.
ruzbehxyz is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 18th August 2021, 22:22   #23
Senior - BHPian

This isn't limited to just the book of records - Several people I know (CEO's & IT HEAD'S) often get emails - asking their companies to pay to be included in a "10 Best <insert target market> of <insert current year>".

Then you have several online magazines emailing people - they send mails saying they have been shortlisted for various awards.

Doesn't matter even if you are a nobody! - all you need to do is pay up - INR 25,000 to 55,0000, and you get published in their cover story.

Last edited by Captain Slow : 18th August 2021 at 22:23.
Captain Slow is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 18th August 2021, 23:56   #24
BHPian

Oh man. You've really done some research there into this. The part where a woman's diabetic meds were taken away and she died because of that is really agonizing to imagine.

However, this reminds me of one thing our elders of the previous generations used to say, and which is rarely told these days...
Quote:
"If you do not want your future generations to suffer or collapse, always be careful while choosing the author of the books you buy. Do not buy books from authors of unknown credibility just because you can afford them. A wrong book can ruin your life and can jeopardize the entire future of your family line."
I see so many people buying so many books from so many authors and now I realise how important the guideline set by our elders is. An author is free to write whatever he/she can imagine. But that can influence a person to great extents.

As valuable good books are, I hope people understand how dangerous certain books can be.

Being a qualified doctor myself, it breaks my heart looking at people running away from proven Allopathy treatments for Diabetes and Hypertension and choose some shady tips given by these quacks.
saisailendra is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 19th August 2021, 06:35   #25
Team-BHP Support

What a stunning take down of a brilliant scam!! Couldn't have expected any less from you, Akhil!

I am not surprised with the vulnerability of wannabe social media influencers, vloggers, Instagram wannabes, et al. While I thought that Iron butt thingy was a poor representation of biking in general, riding a bike and then taking an aircraft to a remote island deserves a honorable mention itself. I strongly propose waterboarding of this awarding community until enough oxygen is generated to pump the debris blocking brain nerves for logical thinking just like a Dyson vacuum cleaner!

While at that, we need to stop giving the likes of "First Dominar to cross Atal tunnel" any mileage. But I have little hope especially when I see a flood of comments appreciating these so called influencers.

Honestly, I had never heard of this record book until I saw this thread. Wonderfully put!

Last edited by moralfibre : 19th August 2021 at 06:38.
moralfibre is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 19th August 2021, 08:42   #26
Team-BHP Support

Brilliant thread! Great work in unearthing one scam after the other, and your writing style was nothing short of a thriller. I've always laughed at such records, and now you've added the final nail to the coffin.

Speaking of people aiming to be the first one to do something, here's a local story: There is a lake in the community i live in, which is still in various stages of development. The developer has built a path around it, for walking/jogging etc. Just yesterday someone on the community FB group mentioned the whole path would be opened today, and sure enough this morning there was a lady waiting for the workers to take down the barricades so she could jog around and not to forget a pic for posterity with fitness watch and lake showing. Ofcourse, cant forget the mandatory selfie while claiming to be the first one around!
benbsb29 is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 19th August 2021, 09:09   #27
BHPian

Social Media is used by every gully boy to claim fame and then there are other gully boys to defend them.

Just as an example just look at the attention given to the XUV 700 at this launch. Is it that great of a car ? Hell no.

Any novice person who will see the videos online on the XuV700 will be convinced that its a great car. There is not one word said against the car.

Sadly every gully boy is a car reviewer today on Youtube.
frewper is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 19th August 2021, 13:14   #28
Team-BHP Support

Quite an eye opener, as I've come to expect from you Rider Zone. Hope this thread really gets the visibility that it deserves.

Have been noticing these 'awards and records' on social media that make absolutely no sense at all. Always ignored it, but that bus-stand to bus-stand example was were you truly had my full attention! Unbelievably shady stuff.

Then again - social media really thrives on kids (as can be seen when these 'influencers' organises meets!) who don't question the logic behind such records and happily posts fire emojis in response to such claims.
CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 19th August 2021, 13:31   #29
BHPian

This is what I wanted to read today

All that is missing is the latest pic of hero motocorp with those thousands of bike parked and making the logo of Hero.
contact.nitin7 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th August 2021, 15:01   #30
Senior - BHPian

An eye opening read. I am not very surprised. I have seen many people who have 15 to 20 degrees, I don't think even they remember all of them. Coming back to the records, I agree this is pure nonsense. I think these people are fascinated by what they watch on TV.

I was watching Ripley's Believe It or Not, I came across this weird record. Squirting milk from one's eyes. Why on earth would someone want to squirt milk through their eyes? Anyways, they mentioned that there was only one person holding that record till now but turns out another chap can do it too, so what do they do? they now want to see who can squirt milk the farthest. Me in my mind - this is fantastic, let me watch further. They give away the prize to one fellow later after an intense competition (interrupted by commercial breaks to ensure fools like me are hooked to the channel). I think the records mentioned in this thread stand nowhere close to that. Bottom line - we have idiots like these all over. Read, enjoy, have a laugh but always remember not to give them the importance and hype they are looking for. In the process of trying to expose them, we end up giving them the required publicity.

Last edited by Raghu M : 19th August 2021 at 15:02. Reason: new content
Raghu M is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks